AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-08-23, 22:29   Link #8961
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
There's also the fact that they'd have to admit they made a mistake if they changed stuff more than cosmetically. Which is a no-no in Japan.
Is it because Fukuda or Morosawa can't handle criticism, or because it would ruin the Gundam name?

Or it's because according to the fanbase, Kira, Athrun, Lacus, and Cagalli are the franchise.

The Zeta Gundam movie trilogy was released with a truckload of controversy, due to the recasting of several VAs, including Yukana as Four.
Old 2013-08-23, 23:09   Link #8962
The American Average
2LMES

Fukuda and Morosawa can't take criticism is pretty obvious, SWRZ, i believe, changed up pretty much a big chunk Destiny and they fixed shinn aswell, fans and the voice actor of shinn said that is the true version of that character. Fukuda got all mad saying it ruined what he intended. The fanbase of gundam is a strange one, most fans are UC, Kira is very popular but to say he's the franchise is a overblown description of him. iirc only fours voice was the big deal and it was because of how people think Yukana got the role. the movie was pretty much just a big fan service for Zeta fans

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-08-23 at 23:23.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 23:28   Link #8963
Kurohane

Quote:
Is there anyway to not display a certain members youtube comments? I can't even focus on remaster anymore without that Nataku idiots spam complaining ruining it.
I know! He has been in every Destiny remaster episode so far. Always forcing his opinions onto others, replying to every single post. Regarding your question, no, I don't think you can set it to ignore him specifically. All I can say is do not read the comments.
Old 2013-08-24, 00:24   Link #8964
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Scandinavia has lots of lots of free space, i'm sure they could take in the entire population of ORB.

.. if they built houses, and stuff.
I doubt they will build houses for hundreds or thousands of people.

Beside, the 5 Houses might as well just declare Orb dead if they're going to move the whole population into another country's territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
Well my apologies for hoping they might actually want to correct some of the mistakes they originally made. Seriously if they can find it within themselves to give us a panty shot of Luna or giving us a peek at Meers nip, I'd like to hope they'd fix things that actually needed to be fixed.

Clearly I'm insane for having such hopes, my apologies.
I haven't seen this episode yet, but what mistakes were there in the episode that you felt a remaster has to fix? Heine's character wasn't about him at all, but about Athrun. So if you think Heine is rather ... flat, that's probably because they didn't intend for him to be more than what he was.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 00:32   Link #8965
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

S.Freedom is referring to the mistakes Destiny made as a whole, not just the particular episode.
Old 2013-08-24, 00:36   Link #8966
monster

Fair enough, and yeah, a remaster is a remaster, so I doubt we'd see anymore beyond the little details (or minor fanservice). (One way or another, they're finally going to show whether Destiny could temporarily run out of usable power.)
Old 2013-08-24, 01:21   Link #8967
The American Average
2LMES

i doubt it'll happen but i hope when its Shinn versus athrun in the final battle Shinn actually gets a hit in same with the Rey and Kira battle. at least a little damage like an arm or something to those 2 main guys so its not a flawless victory for them.
Old 2013-08-24, 01:45   Link #8968
CBredbeard
Banned

I don't care about dealing damage. I just want something that isn't stock footage.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 02:40   Link #8969
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
I don't care about dealing damage. I just want something that isn't stock footage.
No point in watching Destiny at all then, lol
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 15:44   Link #8970
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
I know! He has been in every Destiny remaster episode so far. Always forcing his opinions onto others, replying to every single post. Regarding your question, no, I don't think you can set it to ignore him specifically. All I can say is do not read the comments.
I thought there was a way to block people? I may be mistaken though as I never tried it

BTW start calling him Jesus Yamato and see how he reacts
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 18:25   Link #8971
Kurohane

^ I imagine he wouldn't take it well. Personally, I don't like calling him that or when others call him that either, because its been taken too far. With Nataku, just say anything to defend Kira and he assumes your a diehard Kira fan who doesn't have "common sense".
Old 2013-08-24, 18:42   Link #8972
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
No point in watching Destiny at all then, lol
I did think the plot was interesting. The main problem was that it wasn't very clear with alot of things. Gil's transition into a villain was unsatisfying and open ended. I don't think anyone is sure what exactly he was responsible, for what he knew and when he knew it. If it were at the very least obvious that he destroyed the world in order to save it, but even at the end it wasn't even clear that he intended to destroy Orb.

It may be that they didn't want to make Shinn into a full-blown antagonist, thus they attached Luna to him to keep him human, but he's not exactly a dupe either. They kept the audience ignorant of alot of things in order to make him not look like a complete idiot.
Old 2013-08-24, 19:34   Link #8973
monster

Quote:
Gil's transition into a villain was unsatisfying and open ended. I don't think anyone is sure what exactly he was responsible, for what he knew and when he knew it.
I don't understand what you're saying here.
Quote:
If it were at the very least obvious that he destroyed the world in order to save it, but even at the end it wasn't even clear that he intended to destroy Orb.
In phase 48, Durandal declared anybody who opposed the Destiny Plan as enemies of humanity just after he ordered the use of the Requiem on the Alliance base and declared his intention to deal with Orb later. I think that makes it quite clear that he would destroy anyone who opposed his plan because he really believed it's for the good of humanity.
Old 2013-08-24, 19:49   Link #8974
Aquaman OS

Durandal clearly intended to destroy Orb unless they submitted to him and the Destiny Plan. And probably every nation that didn't.

He also framed Athrun and attempted to have him killed.

He also sent that hit squad after Lacus and Kira. The show itself never outright confirms this, but the side material does, and there is still plenty of hints that it was him in the show.

He also knew of Logos way before he outed them, and is hinted to have known before the show began, but kept it to himself until they'd caused enough damage that it would make him look like the hero for outing them, rather than stopping the war cold early on.

He's also shown to have lied, repeatedly, and decived people on a worldwide scale with his media manipulation.

And Astray hints he had deliberately started the whole war by allowing the EA to steal the Gundams, and secretly backing the Junius Seven terrorists.

And that's not even counting the contstant "This guy is secretly evil" shots of him that had been there since episode 1.

Really people were calling Durandal as the final villain before the show even started. The only surprise was that he refrained from the baby eating evil of most CE villains in favor of a more good intentioned but extreme viewpoint, and that Shinn ended up blind to his misdeeds and whole heartedly supported him.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 20:23   Link #8975
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Durandal clearly intended to destroy Orb unless they submitted to him and the Destiny Plan. And probably every nation that didn't.

He also framed Athrun and attempted to have him killed.

He also sent that hit squad after Lacus and Kira. The show itself never outright confirms this, but the side material does, and there is still plenty of hints that it was him in the show.

He also knew of Logos way before he outed them, and is hinted to have known before the show began, but kept it to himself until they'd caused enough damage that it would make him look like the hero for outing them, rather than stopping the war cold early on.

He's also shown to have lied, repeatedly, and decived people on a worldwide scale with his media manipulation.

And Astray hints he had deliberately started the whole war by allowing the EA to steal the Gundams, and secretly backing the Junius Seven terrorists.

And that's not even counting the contstant "This guy is secretly evil" shots of him that had been there since episode 1.

Really people were calling Durandal as the final villain before the show even started. The only surprise was that he refrained from the baby eating evil of most CE villains in favor of a more good intentioned but extreme viewpoint, and that Shinn ended up blind to his misdeeds and whole heartedly supported him.
It helps when you have the benefit of hindsight.

Besides, Sunrise has always reiterated that side stories are not canon material. So I usually see side stories as full-fledged development of a half-baked plot in the animation, like how Durandal was really the ultimate villain. But like any other side stories they appear after the anime, and so tends to reveal/expose/tell. If the anime hinted he was the villain, then side stories would tell that he's the villain.

So whether Durandal was intended as the villain in the anime is still a mystery. Besides his Destiny Plan has been described along with Kira's fuck-genetics-lets-choose-our-own-paths as opposing visions for the future. So IMO he's more a visionary (an extreme one though) than the villain. Wars themselves have no moral boundaries and to deliver moral judgment is really a post-war construct, for winners to feel less guilty for not having prevented the atrocities in the first place. And I feel that's what we are doing now, branding Durandal the villain and making him a scapegoat for everything bad that went wrong in the war, including the Junius 7 drop and Logos' atrocities.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 20:30   Link #8976
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I don't understand what you're saying here. In phase 48, Durandal declared anybody who opposes the Destiny Plan as enemies of humanity just after he ordered the use of the Requiem on the Alliance base and declaring his intention to deal with Orb later. I think that makes it quite clear that he would destroy anyone who opposes his plan because he really believed it's necessary for humanity.
You'd think so but that was one sentence he said to himself in private that no one overheard. No fanfare, no drama, no nothing. And destroying the base had absolutely no shock value whatsoever since we saw Requiem used against Plant to a far more brutal effect. It was so damn boring and forgettable that unless you watched Destiny several times, you wouldn't understand what was going on and even if you did get it, you really didn't care what happened.
Old 2013-08-24, 20:55   Link #8977
monster

Quote:
You'd think so but that was one sentence he said to himself in private that no one overheard. No fanfare, no drama, no nothing. And destroying the base had absolutely no shock value whatsoever since we saw Requiem used against Plant to a far more brutal effect. It was so damn boring and forgettable that unless you watched Destiny several times, you wouldn't understand what was going on and even if you did get it, you really didn't care what happened.
Fanfare and shock value are irrelevant.

The show portrayed Durandal as someone who would destroy anyone who would oppose the Destiny Plan, and Orb clearly opposed the Destiny Plan. Therefore, the statement, "It wasn't even clear that [Durandal] intended to destroy Orb," is false.
Old 2013-08-24, 21:00   Link #8978
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:

The show portrayed Durandal as someone who would destroy anyone who would oppose the Destiny Plan, and Orb clearly opposed the Destiny Plan. Therefore, the statement, "It wasn't even clear that [Durandal] intended to destroy Orb," is false.
You're about to feel the frustration I felt, looks like.
Old 2013-08-24, 21:56   Link #8979
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
They are important. They help drive home the point. Just like how conversations between characters rather than short monologues causes people to pay closer attention.

Quote:
At what point was it clear he'd destroy an entire country? He hadn't done anything like that as far as we knew. He lacked credibility.

What's more, there was absolutely no suspense whatsoever. Remember when Genesis was primed to fire on Washington DC? We saw it's targeting data and the probable damage it'd do to the planet. Had nothing like that with Requiem. No "Target: Orb" statements.

I know you're going to say "Such such clearly points to Gil being trouble" but my point is that such and such was a boring piece of dialogue in a show full of boring dialogue punctuated by alot of crying from Cagalli and Shinn.
Old 2013-08-24, 22:32   Link #8980
Aquaman OS

Destiny had horrible writing. That's been established for years. Even if your rooting for Kira and co to crush Shinn and Zaft it's still horrible.

And we know he was going to fire it at Orb at the end. He outright says so, and Shinn echos his thoughts when fighting Athrun, saying that the world can't be saved unless Orb is totally destroyed. And its stated by everyone in the CF trying to stop him that Orb is going to be blasted if they don't hurry. It is however lacking a dramatic "Prepare to fire at Orb!" as you stated. Everyone already knows its the target at the final battle begins, and its not clear how they found this out (but they are right, because Durandal directly states that after clearing out the ships with Neo Genesis they'll fire Requiem at Orb)

The only question is if he was only targeting Orb because they were attacking him (ie, Destiny Plan is totally optional and Kira and Lacus are paranoid idiots attacking him without cause) or if he would have done it anyways if they didn't accept and would have done the same to everyone that wasn't part of the plan.

Well I say question but its obviously the latter, just that some Kira haters won't accept that.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep