AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-07-27, 19:21   Link #1
Maerskian

... Back to watching anime after some years... can't find any tile to my liking

Hi there

Have been "out of the game" for a few years ( 3 or so ... can't even remember my old animesuki account ... ) and can't find any decent anime to watch nowadays ... for my taste at least ... i absolutely respect anybody liking current anime series, but they doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

Since i'm not exactly up to date, and just testing out randomly doesn't seem to work... will need your best suggestions.... according to the type of series i like/liked :

Hokuto no ken
Dragonball
Saint Seiya ( From the beginning to Hades arc... not any of these "new" wannabees)
Rurouni Kenshin
Hajime No Ippo
Naruto (at least, part of it)
Bleach (... just the shinigami & Aizen arcs )
Berserk ( nothing beats the manga but... )
Grappler Baki
Basilisk

Serial experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Ergo Proxy
Haibane Renmei
Ghost In the shell

Zettai Shonen
Mononoke + Ayakashi (2006) 3rd Arc
Mushishi
Monster
Full metal Alchemist ( Half of it at least... )
Legend of galactic heroes
Mostly all Galaxy Express sagas

kemonozume
Death note
Kaiji
Akagi
One Outs
mahou shoujo tai arusu
Windy Tales

Sayonara Zetsubou sensei
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star
Hidamari Sketch
Nichijou
sexy commando
mahoujin guru guru
jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu

Skipped several similar titles ( Master Keaton, Boogiepop Phantom, etc... or even closely similar to... like Code Geass, Samurai Champloo, etc... ) but think you'll get the general picture.

Judging from my efforts, looks like there's no longer anime in the same league as these titles ... at least can't find 'em and hope i'm really wrong, that's why i need your help.

As for animes i can't stand ( in order to get a clearer picture) :

One Piece
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
mecha-focused anime
harem-anime
most type of romatic related anime ( although i must shamefully confess i enjoyed several in the past )
Pokemon/Digimon/or anything similar
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inu Yasha
Clannad
Elfen Lied
High School Of The Dead
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Natsume Yuujinchou
Aria
... etc, etc...

Sorry for the long list but not sure how to put in words what i'm exactly aiming for ...

Thanks (seriously) in advance for the time & effort invested on trying to dig any title that i could possibly skip.
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 19:54   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, first of all, if you liked "half of" the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, then I suppose you didn't care for the ending (like many people).

You should definitely watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which follows the manga and has a much better ending. The first... oh 17 episodes or so are very similar to the first anime (though a bit rushed in my opinion), but once you get to the Lust vs Mustang scene... oh man, it just takes off as one of the best anime ever.

I haven't seen it myself, but from everything I've heard I think Steins;Gate matches up well with much of your list. I thought the first episode was a bit slow, but everyone who continued watching it seems to think it was great.

After that... well the huge recent hit was Madoka Magica (barely edged out Steins;Gate for first place in the AnimeSuki Choice Awards this year). Yeah, yeah, I know, you're thinking "magical girl anime- no way" right? Well I'll tell you now I haven't watched any other magical girl anime, they just don't interest me, but Madoka was incredible! In my opinion it's right up there next to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Give it a full three episodes and see if it doesn't hook you.

Those three can get you started.

Let me know what you think of them and I'll see if I can pick some others based off of what you thought of them.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 20:10   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ok, I’ll try.

For general anime (some with action), by any chance, have you seen Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Baccano, Phantom: Requiem for The Phantom, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Planetes, Darker than Black, Beelzebub, Moribito, Sword Art Online (on-going), etc?

If you like the older Saint Seiya, you might also like Fuuma no Kojiro and BT’X.

If you like Death Note, you might like Eden of the East and Ghost Hunt. I don’t say that they’re alike but they have the “strategy/solve the mystery” aspect which is pretty engaging.
Old 2012-07-27, 23:35   Link #4
gsilver

You're a hard one to recommend shows for, with many similar shows on both the "liked" and "hated" lists, many of which I consider to be good.

But I'll go with the general theme of shows that you like, and suggest the following:
Mawaru Penguindrum
Paranoia Agent
Dennou Coil
Kaiba
Mind Game (Especially since you liked Kemonozume)
Kino's Journey
Shiki
Old 2012-07-27, 23:45   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are a few well-known shows I don't see on those lists:

Black Lagoon
Claymore
Seirei no Moribito
Twelve Kingdoms
Baccano!
Welcome to the NHK!

Now for a few that are a bit more obscure:

Dennou Coil
Ghost Hound
Real Drive
Kurenai
House of Five Leaves
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Shion no Ou

If you're open to a show with romantic overtones, I'd suggest
Nodame Cantabile
Toshokan Sensou
REC

You might like the recent Lupin III/Mine Fujiko series as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:35   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Based on your list of what you liked, I don't think you should have too much trouble getting into any number of series running now. What I'm curious about is what's turning you off to the series that you've tried so far (including Code Geass, which was widely regarded).

The reason I ask is because after 5-6 years of fairly heavy watching, I was out of anime for a year or two, and I had a really hard time getting back in. What I determined was that the things that were "stereotypically anime" were really bugging me. Characters were too bizarre, behavioral quirks grated on me; these were things that used to make anime endearing. The trouble was that I wasn't really used to anime anymore. I expected to be able to dive right back in, but I was being turned off almost immediately.

If that fits your description, here was my solution: I went back in slowly, starting out with series that aren't quite as zany. My "first" recent series was Moshidora, a short (11-12 episodes) series that centered around a high school baseball team. I never got into sports anime series before, but the entire thing was fairly low key and I found that I could enjoy it. I forgot what I went on to from there, but that sufficiently "broke the ice" and allowed me to get into series that are more typical for anime.

Even though I'm "back into it" now, the more you watch, the harder it is for newer series to measure up. I've stopped watching a number of series simply because I didn't feel that they were worth my time, even though I probably would have enjoyed them years ago. You almost have to prepare yourself before watching these newer shows: go in with zero expectations, and try not to make any comparisons to what you're used to until it's over.

Best of luck getting back in; welcome back to the fandom
Old 2012-07-28, 19:00   Link #7
Maerskian

Woah ! ... thanks to everybody for your answers, to be honest ... didn't expect so many quality answers

@Sackett

Quote:
Well, first of all, if you liked "half of" the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, then I suppose you didn't care for the ending (like many people).

You should definitely watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which follows the manga and has a much better ending. The first... oh 17 episodes or so are very similar to the first anime (though a bit rushed in my opinion), but once you get to the Lust vs Mustang scene... oh man, it just takes off as one of the best anime ever.
Watched FMA Brotherhood as well; what i don't really like about FMA series is the first half ( 25-30 first episodes or so ) since is comprised mostly of small stories that almost develops in one episode.... even if some of 'em connect with the general plot in the end, doesn't carry too much weight from those first too-quick episodes... lucky enough, it gets better towards the end

Quote:
I haven't seen it myself, but from everything I've heard I think Steins;Gate matches up well with much of your list. I thought the first episode was a bit slow, but everyone who continued watching it seems to think it was great.
First name to my list ! Thank you very much. I definitely skipped this one.

Quote:
After that... well the huge recent hit was Madoka Magica (barely edged out Steins;Gate for first place in the AnimeSuki Choice Awards this year). Yeah, yeah, I know, you're thinking "magical girl anime- no way" right? Well I'll tell you now I haven't watched any other magical girl anime, they just don't interest me, but Madoka was incredible! In my opinion it's right up there next to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Give it a full three episodes and see if it doesn't hook you.
I know what you just said but.... seriously ? Guess this is one of those cases where you shouldn't judge a book by the cover. Thanks again, this could be a nice find... specially, considering the looks of it.

Evangelion + ovas is on my OK list as well; it's a title that would be much higher if it was just a 10-12 episode anime with one black screen in the middle summarizing those IMHO boring-to-death repetitive battles ( fillers to me) and more air time towards the end of the story.

Quote:
Let me know what you think of them and I'll see if I can pick some others based off of what you thought of them.
Well, 2 for my list for the time being; will appreciate more suggestions. As we all know, once you catch a nice series.... next thing you kno.... it's gone

@Obelisk ze Tormentor

Thanks for your help

Quote:
For general anime (some with action), by any chance, have you seen Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Baccano, Phantom: Requiem for The Phantom, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Planetes, Darker than Black, Beelzebub, Moribito, Sword Art Online (on-going), etc?
Out of those, just missed "Beelzebub" & "Sword Art Online" .
Will add "Beelzebub" to my watch list, how many episodes should i go through before deciding it's fate ? usually i was extremely patient, but One Piece ruined that since i gave it 550+ episodes to start running since i got tons of nice reviews from all type of people.

"Sword Art Online" .... maybe will give it a try, although must confess those character designs are quite discouraging.... not sure how many anime series i've already seen on my life ( a few hundreds... that's for sure ) ... but usually, this type of designs + weapons + online environment equals poor action scenes with no weight at all... but that's just a guess, will give it a go anyways.

Fate/Zero & Phantom .... aren't exactly my cup of tea ...
Planet ES was quite ok, although i just watched it when it aired ...
Darker than black... is watchable; one of those i won't keep but it's entertaining enough... would me more than happy with more series like this one right now.

Baccano: Will talk about it later.

Quote:
If you like the older Saint Seiya, you might also like Fuuma no Kojiro and BT’X.
Fuuma No Kojire : Yay!!! Looks great. Straight to my watch list.

It's funny, but in the end i always end up watching all those animes with the seiya-like design even though i dislike the main character (Seiya) design, CASSHERN SINS for example, another series i liked.... battles aside ... and that other boxing series with two seasons ( can't remember the name right now ) ... that was awfully bad .

BTX : Wow !!! At this point it must seem pretty obvious i really like Masami Kurumada designs... so even if he always seems to be doing the same thing.... i'm all for this one. Straight to my watch list. Thank you sir !!!

Quote:
If you like Death Note, you might like Eden of the East and Ghost Hunt. I don’t say that they’re alike but they have the “strategy/solve the mystery” aspect which is pretty engaging.
Ghost Hunt... already had his try, but didn't like it too much....
Eden Of The East.... not 100% sure if it was another one of those discarded titles, but must check it first.

What i liked the most about Death Note/Kaiji/Akagi/One Outs/Code Geass ... i basically is, obvously, those ( hate to use this type of words ) "smart" main characters and the way they deal with things.... not that those aforementioned titles are exactly equal, but are the ones with the strongest feeling around that role... couldn't find more at the same level, in fact "Code Geass" is barely standing among 'em, considering his actions are kinda pre-determinated, not to mention the series itself also focuses on battles and other events that feel like fillers to me.

@gsilver

Thanks for your time

Quote:
You're a hard one to recommend shows for, with many similar shows on both the "liked" and "hated" lists, many of which I consider to be good.
Yes, that's true, that's why i'm also focusing on commenting on those series i dislike as well, since it's not that easy to guess what i'm guessing for based on series names alone.

Mawaru Penguindrum: Skipped this one; will give it a try

Paranoia Agent: Watched it as it was aired buck then; it's on my favorites list ( didn't want to post my entire list on my first message ), and probably the only Satoshi Kon anime i really liked ( Disliked Perfect Blue & Tokyo Godfathers; Millenium Actress had some remarkable visuals, but the plot, once again was too soft for my taste... Paprika had some nice visuals.... but didn't strike me as it was supposed to ... it was like he tried to reach Masaaki Yuasa levels but failed miserably at that )

Dennou Coil: Already watched as well; Nice animation, nice background designs... story had potential... but looked to me they didn't dare to cross the line ... so the plot remained like a child's story and lost all of it's interest... Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, etc... aren't exactly best sellers so i guess they got scared of being labeled among those.... on the other hand, IMHO this ruined the whole series since it wasn't as disturbing as those names they tried to avoid nor visually striking (or just charming) as some ghibli's movies... in the end, it remained in no man's land.

Kaiba: I considered myself a complete devote to Masaaki Yuasa until this one... it's ok.... but just that, nothing to write home about; for such a creative mind that's quite negative..... Tatami Galaxy was even worse; guess his goals are different nowadays, although his short at "Genius Party" omnibus still has traces of the earlier Yuasa.

Mind Game (Especially since you liked Kemonozume) : Absolute masterpiece; of course i loved that . To be honest, i hardly like anime "movies" ... just those (very) few ones that are truly one of a kind ( Tamala 2010 , Tenshi no Tamago )... the rest of 'em ( Will save some Ghibli's , mostly for his striking visuals & animation .... something i can't do with Otomo's films even if they have top notch animation, etc as well ) ... just bored me to death.... and tried mostly each well known anime movie until recent years.

Kino's Journey: One of my all time absolute favorites i failed to mention on my initial list. One of a kind.... never found anything like it; time ago was told that "Jin, King of Bandit" was in the same vein .... but it was hardly one episode that looked similar... if anything.

Shiki: Seen this one mentioned everywhere but ignored it for some reason... guess it's time to give it a try.

@SeijiSensei

Thanks for your recommendations

Black Lagoon: Already watched. It was nice and enjoyed it... although these aren't exactly the type of titles i feel comfortable with, i must admit it was quite entertaining.... but one title i find hard to write on a personal favorites list. Quite similar to Gunslinger Girls ( first season only ) for that matter.

Claymore: I stopped watching this series when they aired... not sure if i should try again. At this point, must confess i have a real problem with most female anime characters involved in violence/martial arts series or even most real action movies&series ... not all of 'em for the very fact of just being female ( that's not my point), but for the approach anime/movies/series creators have on 'em that usually focus more on their sexual image rather than what it's worth for action: dynamics. This applies to many childish-look characters as well even if they are males... but oh well... this whole view would need a thread of his own, so will just stop here.

Seirei no Moribito: With what i just said previously.... this is one of the few exceptions where the main female character is nice. Nice series, nice animation & almost cinematic; i enjoyed it very much.... although for my personal taste, this type of pure "adventure" series have poor or zero re-watch value ... so find it hard to put it higher on my list.

Twelve Kingdoms: Already watched it back then as well; it had some ( few ) interesting points, that aimed to be in the league of "Legend of galactic heroes" ... but it's like they were scared to be too boring or adult-oriented at some point and backed off. Legend of galactic heroes is much longer and even OVAs are worth watching.... almost each episode was saturated with information and/or relevant facts ( i hardly recall any other anime series with so much relevant content per minute, they could 've easily made 400-500 episodes slowing the pace ) ... on the other hand, twelve kingdoms ( that aimed to show us a view on politics similar to legend of galactic heros ) left me with quite the empty sensation.... like i could perfectly could cut tons of unnecessary scenes and events & leave it the same way... not to mention that it takes too much time to develop. One title that needs to be watched.... but can't say it left good memories..

Baccano! : Already watched ... one of those titles i'd have a hard time explaining why it was entertaining while it lasted.... but that's the best i could say about it.... nothing to write home about....
Welcome to the NHK! : Highly acclaimed back in the days ( mostly due to the manga version ) .... although absolutely disliked it; hard to stand voice actors on this one ... plus found this approach on hikkikomoris way too superficial & full of topics.... could have been great with a different view on it... that wasn't the case.

Dennou Coil: already commented it earlier

Ghost Hound: Another one of my favories not listed on my initial post

Real Drive: Already tried ... but had to cancel it since it was too so-so... not going anywhere.... not too psychological ... not too-anything...

Kurenai : No idea, will give it a try.

House of Five Leaves: Tried & cancelled. I love slow paced anime & even real-action extremely slow movies ( i love classic Russian cinema, with Aleksander Sokurov among my favorites... that's to say i don't even mind a still take of 20 minutes on somebody doing&saying noting if it fits the movie ) ... but this was way too much... it looked promising at first... but in the end, the word "nothing" seems to find home here.... it's like nothing happened ... characters way too empty....

Nijuu Mensou no Musume: Never dared to try... guess it's time to go for it.

Shion no Ou: Never noticed this one... will add it to my watch list. Surprisingly enough, liked Hikaru no Go back in the days ( can't stand sports animes, although wouldn't fit Go into sports to be honest ) ...

Quote:
If you're open to a show with romantic overtones, I'd suggest
These are probably the ones i have a hard time confessing i ejoyed 'em , but what the hell ? i'm anonymous here

Nodame Cantabile: Definitely enjoyed it.... although the whole series is just watching Nodame being Nodame ....
Toshokan Sensou: Didn't knew this one; dislike everything about it ( military+romance) but oh well.... one never knows
REC: This doesn't appeal to me that much.... but can't say for sure without trying

Also, on this "hard to confess" series section i could count:

Karekano and Hachimitsu To Clover and even Meine Liebe that isn't straight romantic

Quote:
You might like the recent Lupin III/Mine Fujiko series as well.
Lupin has always been on my "Can't stand it list", along with One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho and some others ( Great Techer Onizuka for example ) .... not sure anymore how these type of animes where called ( Shonen maybe ? ) ... i mean, those like Dragonball, Hokuto No ken, Naruto, One Piece... etc...

I'm the first one to admit that this "genre" is full of nonsense & stupidity and even bad taste & kinda retarded at times .... and even if all are kinda similar, each person can't stand this or that particular stupidity covered on one show or another.... then, you have character designs... not everybody is happy with the same designs, etc.... guess it's the same for everybody as i'm fully aware that Masami Kurumada designs have been criticized as being far from "masculine"

Also, kinda desperately looking for slice of life/(soft)comedy animes .... in the last weeks i watched (again) Lucky Star , Nichijou, Hidamari Sketch & Azumanga Daioh ... even planning on re-visiting series that weren't that great ( Pani Poni Dash, Minami-Ke , School Rumble ....

Missing more radical-comedy animes a-la Sexy Commando or even Urayasu Tekking Kazoku, Gyagu Manga Byory ... although those aren't that usual....

More names from my OK list would be:

Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Arjuna
Boogiepop Phantom
Niea Under 7
Gilgamesh
Noein
Soul Taker
Yakitake Japan ( with exception of the last "season" )
Raxephon

Also love short films like:
Diary of tortov roddle
Franz Kafka by koji Yamamura
Nekojiro Sou

Or movies like:

Tenshi no tamago
Tamala

.... what the hell... i even love traditional japanese animation by Kihachiro Kawamoto & Tadari Okamoto and a select list of experimental animators ( worldwide, although specially those from Eastern Europe )

.... now i look at my message.... not sure if submit it as it is or..... well, there it goes.... so sorry for such a looooooong message
Old 2012-07-28, 19:52   Link #8
Maerskian

Just realized i skipped this message as my browser didn't update....

Quote:
Based on your list of what you liked, I don't think you should have too much trouble getting into any number of series running now. What I'm curious about is what's turning you off to the series that you've tried so far (including Code Geass, which was widely regarded).
Code Geass is (although barely.... skipping battles, cutting some scenes) on my Ok list, although i must admit it was one of the last titles to make it before my hiatus.... it was hard for me to keep watching ( did it a little bit after everything finished airing ) although i'm glad i endured in the end.

Didn't expect my comeback to be so hard.... but indeed it is; all ( and i mean, every single one ) series i've tried so far makes me even sleep ...

Quote:
The reason I ask is because after 5-6 years of fairly heavy watching, I was out of anime for a year or two, and I had a really hard time getting back in. What I determined was that the things that were "stereotypically anime" were really bugging me. Characters were too bizarre, behavioral quirks grated on me; these were things that used to make anime endearing. The trouble was that I wasn't really used to anime anymore. I expected to be able to dive right back in, but I was being turned off almost immediately.
Funny, we have quite a similar story here although had some problems with many anime stereotypes before quitting for a while ; got a soft spot with genres like comedy or shonen/fighting oriented animes ( even enjoyed awfully bad series like Kenichi or Air Master just because the fighting scenes were quite interesting.... ) ... but even with that, can't find anything that catch my eye.

That said... on my personal case, there's one added "problem" ( if we can call it that ) :

I'm also focused on experimental/avantgarde/arthouse cinema & world animation ( mostly focused on arthouse/experimental/adult oriented projects ) ... so during the abscence of anime on my play list.... the gap was filled with more world animation & cinema.... considering how disturbing/thrilling/etc... such material can be once you go deeper & deeper .... facing back into anime right now seems even harder in a strange way specially since i quitted japanese anime ... but didn't quit animation ; no problem at all with those titles i already liked but.... miss some type of animes nowadays.

Shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, Kino No Tabi, Ghost Hound, Ergo Proxy ..... always were really hard to notice among the stream.... although you always had (just) one of those coming from time to time.... but... when was the last time a show of such caliber was aired ?

Don't see any other breaking shonen around.... industry seems to be milking the three sacred cows ( Naruto-Bleach-One Piiece ) to the fullest.... and even killing Dragonball by doing a Kai edition of it ... not to mention all those shameful Saint Seiya re-makes ...

No more rare animals floating around either ( Back in the days: Mononoke, Windy Tales, Kemonozune, Gankutsuou ... )

Whatever the way i look at it just see holes everywhere

Quote:
If that fits your description, here was my solution: I went back in slowly, starting out with series that aren't quite as zany. My "first" recent series was Moshidora, a short (11-12 episodes) series that centered around a high school baseball team. I never got into sports anime series before, but the entire thing was fairly low key and I found that I could enjoy it. I forgot what I went on to from there, but that sufficiently "broke the ice" and allowed me to get into series that are more typical for anime.

Even though I'm "back into it" now, the more you watch, the harder it is for newer series to measure up. I've stopped watching a number of series simply because I didn't feel that they were worth my time, even though I probably would have enjoyed them years ago. You almost have to prepare yourself before watching these newer shows: go in with zero expectations, and try not to make any comparisons to what you're used to until it's over.
As you can read, it's almost my case ... main difference being i had previous issues with certain anime topics.
For example: just watching "Moshidora" characters ... already know this is not for me: i have serious problems with female/extremely passive children/anorexic-extremely thin .... characters into fighting/sport roles.... specially since those type of shows would need an extraordinary animation level or some work on their moves.... but this is rarely the case.

To be precise:

It's not exactly that i can't stand these type of characters... but the approach on 'em is usually wrong ( for my personal taste ), and most of the time poorly animated.

One perfect example would be the aforementioned Seirei No Moribito. Let's admit that female characters as strong as this one ( or the one at Blue Gender to name another ) are quite rare in japanese anime... and even more rare, getting the pleasure of having the full series with such animation level .

.... anyways, that's another story.

Right now i'm at the point of zero-expectation already, but think i have a nice list to make a fresh start thanks to everybody.

Quote:
Best of luck getting back in; welcome back to the fandom
Thank you very much for your kindness. Really hope i can make it back.... miss those days where i enjoyed so many of those aforementioned shows.

Will be back & update this thread with impressions as soon as i can
Old 2012-07-28, 21:25   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
If you want to try a high quality sports show I'd suggest Cross Game.

It and the much older Touch are the two masterpieces by Adachi. I didn't suggest it before because it's much more a "normal life" type of anime rather then an action shounen. I think of it as a cross between "For the Love of the Game" and "The Wonder Years" So it might help with your slice of life request.

Another good one to check out if you want Slice of Life would be Bunny Drop.

If you like avantgarde animation style then I think even more you should watch Madoka Magica.

Also I was amused by the description:

Quote:
Evangelion + ovas is on my OK list as well; it's a title that would be much higher if it was just a 10-12 episode anime with one black screen in the middle summarizing those IMHO boring-to-death repetitive battles ( fillers to me) and more air time towards the end of the story.
Since that pretty much fits what Madoka is. You should definitely give it a shot.

You want a few more to look at?

Look at this list that includes links to openings or AMVs as a bit of a sample of what the show is like:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...94#post4265594

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-07-29 at 12:30.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 21:50   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerskian View Post
@Obelisk ze Tormentor

Thanks for your help
You're welcome.

Quote:
Will add "Beelzebub" to my watch list, how many episodes should i go through before deciding it's fate?
I might have to warn you that Beelzebub is a comedy show first and foremost. It has some hilarious characters and some action too. I personally consider this pretty funny and interesting. It's easy to pre-judge this series. Give the first episode a go, if you don't like it, then leave it.

Quote:
"Sword Art Online" .... maybe will give it a try, although must confess those character designs are quite discouraging.... not sure how many anime series i've already seen on my life ( a few hundreds... that's for sure ) ... but usually, this type of designs + weapons + online environment equals poor action scenes with no weight at all... but that's just a guess, will give it a go anyways.
Give the first two episodes a try, then decide.

More addition (kinda):
If you like the anime similar to Saint Seiya in story and gimmick, you might be interested in Shurato too (and to a lesser extent Ronin Warrior/Yoroiden Samurai Trooper).

Also, since you're okay with RahXephon & Evangelion, you might give Broken Blade a try.
Old 2012-07-29, 17:11   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll toss out one more suggestion, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, by the same woman who wrote the Moribito novels, the anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko. It touches on some similar themes as Moribito, particularly the influence of ancient belief structures on contemporary politics. I found it quite moving in places and very thought-provoking.

Here are a few other random suggestions; do with them as you will.

Oh! Edo Rocket - I can't believe I didn't mention this before. Watch this.

Level E - Silly, yet often funny show about aliens, remiscent of Men in Black. I found the "super sentai" arc in the middle not all that funny, but the rest is a cut above. The Prince is a great character.

Bartender - Older folks visit a Ginza bar and reminisce. You may love it or hate it. Watch two episodes before deciding.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-10-20 at 10:28.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 20:24   Link #12
VampirePaladin

Okay, here are my recomendations...

Le Chevalier d'Eon - Occult historical series. It is fun to see how it plays with historical figures and peroids. Plus the fencing scenes are for the most part fairly plausible. The animation style is less big eyes and more Boogipop and Witch Hunter Robin.

Soul Eater - To be honest this is the only typical shonen show I like. It has an interesting animation style and it has a lot of fandom overlap with Bleach and Naruto.

Princess Tutu - Yes, this is magical girl. I am reccing it based on your like of Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. As a magical girl fan, I find it more family friendly than Madoka, yet also in a sense crueller. Please don't be turned away by the ballerina main character. It does some wonderful things to evoke the feeling of a stage and plays a lot with classic fairy tales (not the Disney version).
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 23:33   Link #13
arachni42

How about Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari?

Hetalia. There is nothing like it.

B Gata H Kei -- a silly school comedy that's a little different.

I support the recommendations for Eden of the East, Madoka (at least give it 3 episodes), and Bunny Drop. I have no idea what you'd think of Princess Tutu; it's worth a shot because it is well written, though the first few episodes appear to be repetitive -- it breaks that mold around episode 6. It deconstructs fairy tales.
arachni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 01:08   Link #14
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

You appear to like the more serious, introspective types of anime. I think you'll enjoy Key the Metal Idol a lot. It's strange and fascinating, and most of it starts making a surprising amount of sense later on.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 14:37   Link #15
Maerskian

Hi there

I apologize for the delay, but lately i don't have as much time as i wanted to.... anyways, as promised, here i am again to make a little update & answer your messages.

By the way:

I feel terribly thankful to everybody investing their time here, specially on these days & age, not to mention that is clear you're doing your best & pointing out really interesting titles, even if i already knew 'em.

Thank you very much !!! ( and i mean it )

@Sackett

Quote:
If you want to try a high quality sports show I'd suggest Cross Game.
It and the much older Touch are the two masterpieces by Adachi. I didn't suggest it before because it's much more a "normal life" type of anime rather then an action shounen. I think of it as a cross between "For the Love of the Game" and "The Wonder Years" So it might help with your slice of life request.
Thanks for this one... but there's certain genres i can't get into... sports being one of 'em... anyways, it's good to know there's a "new" version of "touch" out there just in case. Re-visited Touch some years ago and it was nice to watch... but that's all...

My slice-of-life request, anyways, is more aimed towards light-comedys ( Azumanga Daioh , Minami Ke , Hidamari Sketch, Nichijou, etc... ) than any other sub-genre, unless there's another combination worth watching of course

Quote:
Another good one to check out if you want Slice of Life would be Bunny Drop.
Nice one !! Just added to the list.
Here, i also should confess that i watched & enjoyed Aishiteruze Baby ... to my own surprise...

Quote:
If you like avantgarde animation style then I think even more you should watch Madoka Magica.
So many recomendations made me even anxious, so that's why i started with it... never would 've guessed this one could be like this....
comments on this one above

Quote:
Also I was amused by the description:

Quote: Evangelion + ovas is on my OK list as well; it's a title that would be much higher if it was just a 10-12 episode anime with one black screen in the middle summarizing those IMHO boring-to-death repetitive battles ( fillers to me) and more air time towards the end of the story.

Since that pretty much fits what Madoka is. You should definitely give it a shot.
And as i was reading more lines like this ... the more curious i was feeling about it LOL

Quote:
You want a few more to look at?

Look at this list that includes links to openings or AMVs as a bit of a sample of what the show is like:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...94#post4265594
Hmmm.... precisely, i always skip AMVs since they don't tell me a thing/nor like j-pop... but concerning all those names there:

K-On! , Clannad , A Certain Scientific Railgun , Toaru Majutsu no Index , Chrome Shelled Regios , The World God Only Knows , Otome Yokai Zakuro , Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai , Toradora! , Oh My Goddess , Angel Beats! , Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens , Kimi ni Todoke , Spice and Wolf , Bodacious Space Pirates , Mysterious Girlfriend X , Hayate the Combat Butler ......... all these one, already tried .... and in a certain way motivated me to open this thread...

Shakugan No Shana : Already tried time ago... this is precisely the type of animes i can't bear... specially with main characters like this waving a blade.

Les Misérables: Shojo Cosette : watched several "classic" anime series like this one.... and while i can't complain about 'em ... truth is i reached i point where there's nothing to say whether it is good or bad.... and make this type of series kinda repetitive/boring.

Ben-To : Funny enough the plot would 've make a great starting point for a comedy series.... unfortunately, it goes some other way and it doesn't work like that from my point of view .... it's a pity, since the idea itself is quite unique & hilarious at the same time.

Soul Eater:
Think i tried & cancelled... maybe i'll give it another try.

Katanagatari : ... maybe i should try as well, although character's design seems quite discouraging ....

Mirai Nikki: Added to my list to try , although this kind of plot about "games" are not exactly my type and get bored of 'em quickly ...

@Obelisk ze Tormentor

Thanks again

Quote:
I might have to warn you that Beelzebub is a comedy show first and foremost. It has some hilarious characters and some action too. I personally consider this pretty funny and interesting. It's easy to pre-judge this series. Give the first episode a go, if you don't like it, then leave it.
Will do; still need to start with this one but will post my impressions afterwards. Same goes for Sword art online

Quote:
If you like the anime similar to Saint Seiya in story and gimmick, you might be interested in Shurato too
Already watched Shurato as well.... unfortunately, can't say it was that great. It happened to me with many old-school looking series... and now i mention it .... think i should give Karasu Tengu Kabuto a second chance since i dropped it back in the days...

Quote:
(and to a lesser extent Ronin Warrior/Yoroiden Samurai Trooper).
...hmmm... not that i feel attracted to this kind of characters with such armours, but guess i could try, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Also, since you're okay with RahXephon & Evangelion, you might give Broken Blade a try.
Yep, but only like the psychological / reflexive parts .... so don't think Broken Blade is for me ... unless it develops the same way....

@SeijiSensei

Quote:
I'll toss out one more suggestion, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, by the same woman who wrote the Moribito novels, the anthropologist Uehatsu Nahoko. It touches on some similar themes as Moribito, particularly the influence of ancient belief structures on contemporary politics. I found it quite moving in places and very thought-provoking.
Thanks-a-lot for this one !!! Typical series i'd have missed !!! For some reason i already put it on top of my priorities

Quote:
Oh! Edo Rocket - I can't believe I didn't mention this before. Watch this.
Already knew it and YES i liked it ; i tend to support mostly series with a focus unheard of ... or simply original on it's own, so couldn't skip this one.

Quote:
Level E - Silly, yet often funny show about aliens, remiscent of Men in Black. I found the "super sentai" arc in the middle not all that funny, but the rest is a cut above. The Prince is a great character.
hmmmm.... i'd swear i started this one and dropped it years ago... but just looked it up at anidb and the art there doesn't even ring a bell.... must check.

Quote:
Bartender - Older folks visit a Ginza bar and reminisce. You may love it or hate it. Watch two episodes before deciding.
As said... this one seemed pretty unusual considering anime standards, so tried it back then.... it was kinda curious... but not on my keep list.

@VampirePaladin

Thank you very much for your message, specially considering i might be a harder person to recommend stuff ...

Quote:
Le Chevalier d'Eon - Occult historical series. It is fun to see how it plays with historical figures and peroids. Plus the fencing scenes are for the most part fairly plausible. The animation style is less big eyes and more Boogipop and Witch Hunter Robin.
Already watched it some time ago, and this one was one of those rare cases; initially dropped it after the initial episodes, it had a very similar Claymore feeling, with cheap monsters popping out here & there, etc....
I still can't remember the reason why i resumed watching this one ( guess after some positive comments around forums ) but i did.... and finally found some interesting charachters to follow and finally like it.

By the way: Witch Hunter Robin: Had great expectations for it, nice main character design, etc... but gradually it turned to worse.

Quote:
Soul Eater - To be honest this is the only typical shonen show I like. It has an interesting animation style and it has a lot of fandom overlap with Bleach and Naruto.
Straight to my list as well. Seems to go more after Bleach than Naruto judging from the art i've seen so far ... not that it scores points for me.

Bleach is one of the most controversial titles on my Ok list :

- can't stand the main character ( well.... same happens with Naruto, Seiya, etc etc etc... in most shounen series... although Ichigo is on a higher level ) ... although the art on his final forms are great ( at least he's more silent that way )
- General caracter designs are way too "new" for me.... ( same happens with Naruto as well .... although is more balanced there ) ... way too risky.... so in the end my eyes hurt with way too many designs.... on the other hand, there's someones i really liked.... and basically are those that kept me hooded on this series.... but right now, there's only 1-2 left plus it's filler sesion, so it's as good as dead.
- This was one of the first shounen series i had problems with background music ever ... still can't believe they seriously throwed party-oriented music at epic/dramatic scenes on the shinigamis arc .... on the other hand, some background melodies are unusually great for this type of series....
... could go on for a while... but think my point is clear on this...

Quote:
Princess Tutu - Yes, this is magical girl. I am reccing it based on your like of Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. As a magical girl fan, I find it more family friendly than Madoka, yet also in a sense crueller. Please don't be turned away by the ballerina main character. It does some wonderful things to evoke the feeling of a stage and plays a lot with classic fairy tales (not the Disney version).
LOL !!!! This is a special situation since i walked in your shoes before.
Already watched this one years ago and YES i TRULY enjoyed it a lot.... so much i even tried recommending this one among some people that trusted me for anime series since they weren't too much into it.... and at this point... guess you already know they type of answers & looks you collect after pointing this one.... LOL .... it's like you have to recommend this title and pack it along some type of users manual.

Loved it !!! ... nothing to do with dance anyways..... and by the way.... i also love & watch modern ( not classical, although i'm not against it ) world dance performances & video-dance .... and avant-garde theatre ( here, i don't like classical that much ) ....

Princess Tutu remind me of Utena in some way ..... Utena also adds some typical theatrical elements & shadow animation reminiscent scnes that always made me think on Lotte Reiniger & Michel Ocelot .... watched both with very low expectations and was caught by surprise on how things developed on those 2 .... and this is really important, because the very reason why i stopped watching commercial filsm and started diving into experimental/avant-garde/etc cinema was that mostly each new film is an absolute mind-breaker.... a newborn & unique creature.... with action & plot ( if there's any) you can't foresee.... surprises each second.... that's what keeps me interested & awake.

@arachni42

Thanks a lot for your time on this quest

Quote:
How about Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari?
Not my cup of tea. Already pointed out some problem i have with some type of characters earlier... and these series are precisely the type of names that are making it harder to me to watch anime again.

Quote:
Hetalia. There is nothing like it.
hmmm ? ... i'm pretty sure i recall watching this one some time ago & dropping it.
It was well intended... but as chapters passed found it more & more tendencious... boring... so dropped it in the end

Quote:
B Gata H Kei -- a silly school comedy that's a little different.
hmmmm.... way too ecchi oriented to me. I enjoyed some particular comedy series with some ecchi years ago like ....... .... er..... can't remember the name right now, it revolved about some perverted ninjas with a yellow ball character named Onsokomaru (?) and some female ninja students .... anyways, can't remember another series close to that.... Ranma maybe...

Quote:
I support the recommendations for Eden of the East, Madoka (at least give it 3 episodes), and Bunny Drop.
Still on my list. Comments on Madoka ( ongoing ) above

Quote:
I have no idea what you'd think of Princess Tutu; it's worth a shot because it is well written, though the first few episodes appear to be repetitive -- it breaks that mold around episode 6. It deconstructs fairy tales.
Almost said it all about it earlier, although can't deny it makes me really glad more people feels this way about this particular series

@Tempester

Thank you very much for your comm.

Quote:
You appear to like the more serious, introspective types of anime.
Indeed, in fact there was a time where my only aim was to find more series like Serial experiments Lain / Boogiepop Phantom / Texhnolyze / Ergo Proxy / Ghost In The Shell / Final Chapters of Evangelion / Blame .... etc..

Sadly enough, reality is that there's not too much like those around ... and as time goes by.... seems like there's even less .... or .... none ?

Quote:
I think you'll enjoy Key the Metal Idol a lot. It's strange and fascinating, and most of it starts making a surprising amount of sense later on.
Already watched it time ago. Thought it would be on the league of those aforementioned names.... but from my point of view, it ended up failing miserably in the same way Perfect Blue movie did .... or many older sci-fi oriented animes from the late 80s early 90s, Akira included.
Old 2012-08-04, 15:25   Link #16
Maerskian

As for the update on my watch list:

Right now i'm with 3 series:

- Claymore:

I dropped this one back in the days, but now i'm almost at episode 20; not one to keep nor as good as Chevalier ( a title i dropped/resumed as well ) in any ways... but it's watchable.... not great fights, random/clonic designs and surely will forget about it in no time.... but at least, is the first title i finally get in my hands to resume watching anime again, something i missed.... so it's good enough

- Steins Gate:

5 episodes already and ..... still don't know what to say .... the main character is droping stupid/lame jokes constantly ... female characters looks like they came out from some romance/ero-game .... not to mention the harem feeling in the air around "Okarin" ... and even so, it has some kind of nice feeling.... let's see how it develops, but it makes me want to watch more, so it's a success already Thanks a lot for this one

- Madoka :

As all of you said: interesting art/animation in the beginning..... just 2 episodes for the time being; the first minutes on episode one raised my hopes.... while the 2nd one focused too much on the stereotypical mahou-soujo doing whatever she wants smiling & not even breaking a sweat .... quite a let down.... not sure what to expect next... but will finish this one .... all in all, needed to test this at least, thanks for pointing this out

Some more information on my background in case it helps to make more recommendations appear :

More anime series i enjoyed back then ( sorry if i repeat some title ) :

Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou
XXXholic

.... don't remember the name.... but was about some type of psychiatrist wearing a mask & that turned older and/or younger as he pleased and made his patients go through some kind of psychotropic-like fantasy in order to face his fears; art/animation here was kinda psychodelic.

... another title i can't remember... but it was about a Mah-Jong player, set around post-war japan (? not sure about this point ) and had an old-school look
Master Keaton ( ... yep, i went straight to it after monster )
Blood tv
Niea Under 7
Hellsing ... well.... i really dislike this one.... just enjoyed some typical Alucard shounen scenes towards the end... other than that.... and that's sad, because think vampire-oriented series would have great potential... but in the end, i don't like most of 'em ( Trinity Blood, etc, etc ,etc... )
Vampire Princess Miyu
Gasaraki .... had high expectations for this one... although turned out to be way too boring.... right now, maybe i'd need to go through it again
Ge Ge Ge no Kintarou
Kamichu : liked the Ghibli-like touch. Tide Line Blue was told to have a ghibli-touch as well... but other than being well animated on some chapters... can't say it left a deep impression....
Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari / Requiem from the darkness : nice artwork
Kurau phantom memory
Wolf's Rain

.... eyes-popping .... SHIGURUI ... eyes-still-popping
Some Shura No Toki arcs
Oruchuban Ebichu
Soul Taker ( the artie scenes at least )
Ping Pong Club
Kaze No Yojimbo( ... although still not sure how they dared to compare this to Kurosawa's film .... )
Otogizoushi
Meine liebe
Honey & Clover
Gankutsuou
Fantastic Children
FLCL ( liked the art here... disliked the comedy tone/plot/gags )
Hanada
Genshiken
Heatguy J ( surprisingly.... entertaining )
Big-O ( same again.... it was ok.... even if the almost U.S. cartoon-like look is not my taste )
Gungrave
Hikaru no go
Hi no Tori ( .... black jack .... and so many titles inspired on the same author )
Hitsuji No Uta
Jigoku Shoujo ( so... so... but let's put it here )
Ichigo Mashimaro
Maria Sama
Moyashimon ( as i said, love "different" animes ) ... can't believe a particular one didn't name this one yet LOL
Yokohama kaidashi Kikou ( lovely )
cossette no shouzou
Dai Mahou Touge
Jojo no kimiyona Bouken ( it was hard to get into this one... but finally did ... )
Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai
2x2=Shinobuden ( This was the title i mentioned on my earlier post, with the yellow ball onsokomaru & the perverted ninjas )

mini-series:

Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku
Ocha Ken
Digi Charat
Damekko Doubutsu
Pugyuru
Kogepan
Colorful
Kappa No Kai-kata

More updates coming soon ! Will be reading & answering each & every message as soon as i can.

Thanks again for your time & patience
Old 2012-08-04, 15:45   Link #17
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
... another title i can't remember... but it was about a Mah-Jong player, set around post-war japan (? not sure about this point ) and had an old-school look
The show that you are talking about that focuses on mahjong and has a old-school look is called Akagi.

Anyways, I'm glad you are enjoying Steins;Gate and Madoka then. Don't worry, the plot might develop a lot for both titles.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 16:41   Link #18
gsilver

There is also Legendary Gambler Tetsuya, but that one probably isn't it since the look is more conventional.
Old 2012-08-04, 22:35   Link #19
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
The show that you are talking about that focuses on mahjong and has a old-school look is called Akagi.
gsilver just nailed it , yes, it was Legendary gambler Tetsuya . Really liked this one btw.

Akagi was already on my first draft of favorites along Kaiji & One Outs ...

Tetsuya does looks really old-school, while akagi/kaiji ... are clear attempts to look like it, not to mention the use of CG and typical animated frames from the computer-invasion era.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm glad you are enjoying Steins;Gate and Madoka then. Don't worry, the plot might develop a lot for both titles.
Thanks, i'm really looking forward to it

Last edited by Maerskian; 2012-08-04 at 22:48.
Old 2012-08-05, 03:58   Link #20
Dawnstorm

Quote:
For example: just watching "Moshidora" characters ... already know this is not for me: i have serious problems with female/extremely passive children/anorexic-extremely thin .... characters into fighting/sport roles.... specially since those type of shows would need an extraordinary animation level or some work on their moves.... but this is rarely the case.
I get your meaning, here. But I think I'll have to point out a misunderstanding about the show: in Moshidora the girl doesn't play baseball; she's the all-boys team's manager (taking over from her ill friend). The show impressed quite a lot of people. I think it's a fairly formulaic, decently entertaining show. Avarage. That is until the last two (or next-to-last two?) episode when it suddenly becomes outstanding.

Also: the show doesn't actually focus on playing the game so much, as it does on what makes a good team.

Quote:
Katanagatari : ... maybe i should try as well, although character's design seems quite discouraging ....
Definitely give it a try. It's the only master piece in it's year (I think). I don't know how to explain; it keeps looking like your straightforward collect-the-swords plot, but it's always somewhat off, until the odd pay-off at the ending.

I always thought the art style was an anime take on those woodcuts, but I'm not an expert on either art styles or Japanese woodcuts, so that might not be true. It's part of the concept, though. You'll get used to it, I'm pretty sure.

As for slice-of-life comedy:

The best one in recent years, IMO, was A Channel. It's utterly unexceptional, but excellently executed. Its main strength is the use of setting to enhance the mood (give the opening of episode 10 a try to see a good example). And you can tell the animators were fond of their characters. There's only one thing I don't like, and that's how the characters often look like their faces have been treated with furniture polish. (I don't like those glowing cheeks and foreheads...)

This season, there's Joshiraku. It's adapted from a manga from the same guy who did Zetsubou Sensei, and you can tell by the odd-ball humour. It's slow to be subbed, so I've been watching the raws, too (despite being absolutely bad at Japanese - I never get more than the gist of it).

I also sort of liked Kill Me Baby; high school girl tries to keep high school girl assassin busy so she doesn't kill people. It's a three-person only show (plus an unused character, but they don't really use her) - literally. The main duo, plus a comic relief ninja. No class mates, no teachers. I shouldn't have been enjoying this, but I was sad to see it end.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote