Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-25, 06:35   Link #2581
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
In this particular case this might have been true, but in general it is a pretty bad idea. A real badass character is calm and collected, he does not rush into a fight blindly without thinking. He is always able to assess the situation and make the right decision.

If your definition was correct, then Ayano in the beginning of the show would be more of a badass than Kazuma, since she did exactly that - rush into a fight first, ask questions later, and she made some serious mistakes doing that.
You're right that rushing in blindly is bad. However, I'm talking about fighting your way to the heart of the enemy fortress, finding someone whom you have a history with, and know is the enemy. At that point, you can't really talk about "blind".

He's like friggin Superman. "Oh, I'm so strong, I'm just going to pose here while you do whatever villainous thing you want, and stop you just at the last moment. You're going to shoot me? How cute. Wait, it actually hurt... is that a kryptonite bullet?..."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 06:42   Link #2582
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well ... a very mediocre end to a mediocre series. The ending felt rushed and anti climatic, not to mention it hardly offered any closure at all. One thing this series excels at though - inserting panty shots during a dramatic moment due to specifically placed camera angles. Now, i have nothing against panty shots in general, but when they are as tasteless as KnS generally makes them to be, all i can do is roll my eyes at it.

Overall Kaze no Stigma is a load of wasted potential. It started out average with room for improvement ... sadly, the improvement never came and the series continued to bask in its plotless, episodic adventures that were not terribly interesting either. The highlight of the series is episode 20 showing Kazuma's past with Tsoi Rin ... it easily trumps anything else this show has to offer. Not like there is much to offer to begin with, outside the Kazuma x Ayano antics.

Outside of Ayano (who received notable character growth and development) the characters are flat and don't develop at all. The plot(?) moves nowhere and by the end we know as little as we did in the start. How did Kazuma obtain the contract with wind king? Why was Tsoi Rin sacrificed ? Why did Bernheart (or w/e his name was) want to destroy Tokyo ? None of the major plot details get answered.

The animation is ...well ... weak at best. While the character design is not bad, the actual animation is very stiff and uninspiring. Consistency is not among the strong points either.

Even though I somewhat enjoyed the series for what it was, in the end i don't think this deserves to be labeled more than a semi-afterthought of GONZO that seems to have come in to existence simply because they had some money left from their other projects. Mediocrity at all its glory - not the worst thing i have seen, but far from what it could have been given proper budget and love from the production staff. Ultimately falls in to "watch and forget" bin.

5.5/10
Old 2007-09-25, 08:41   Link #2583
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Skyfall pretty summed up much of what i wanted to say. Mediocre at best not say it was not fun, i enjoyed watching Kazuma and Ayano interact, and some of the fights were pretty cool but i felt the series really lacked direction. I was never sure just where it was headed. Then it really just ends with lots of plot holes and not really anything being resolved.

As for the progress between Ayano and Kazuma i didnt mind it being left unsaid. Because its pretty clear how they feel to a certain extent and we can rest assure that Ayano's father will continue to push for them to be together. If they decide to do a second season i will watch it. But im not sure how material there is to do one. As long as they go somewhere and there is i guess i should say an actual plot. But still fun i would give Kaze no Stigma about 6 and thats only because of the humore. Such a wasted effort on a potentially great series
Old 2007-09-25, 10:49   Link #2584
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I'd agree with most of Skyfall's summary too--I'd give it a slightly higher score, just because Kazuma is a great lead--I wish there were more leads in anime like him. I also appreciated that rather than do a standard love triangle between Kazuma-Ayano-Catherine, there was the more complex triangle of Kazuma-his past (Tsuo Rin)-future (Ayano), which to me was more interesting to watch. I was OK with how they ended things with Kazuma and Ayano, since I didn't really expect more than that and it makes it pretty clear which way he's heading.

The whole 'set up a massive RPG to collect data' arc made me roll my eyes a little in general, the side characters were largely forgettable for me (except Ren and Ayano's father), and while I don't mind service, Ayano spent way too much time in the same serafuku, although it was funny when Gonzo poked fun at it.
Spoiler for last episode:

I guess like most people, this falls short of being something I'd get on DVD if it got licensed, since I'm not sure I'd re-watch it. It did have some good moments, especially between Ayano and Kazuma, and I think in different hands a second season could have a lot of potential.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 10:54   Link #2585
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

I dunno all in all its not great but not bad its good fodder for a full 50 or 70ep run but as it is its weak as a 20ep series.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 12:02   Link #2586
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
read the novel.......ITS BETTER!!!

Old 2007-09-25, 15:58   Link #2587
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
Spoiler for last episode:
The meaning to that was to obviously raise the "to be continued" flag

I was surprised as well that there wasnt a full closure but the prospect of a second season cheered me up . If burnheart isnt dead then it mean that kazuma will still be looking for revenge but one thing i dont want is to see him going soft come season 2 >_<

I really didnt mind an open end to this series as it never felt like a chore or work to mow through each episode - this can only mean that i enjoyed the series overall even though if it is just a one off watch (like so many others on my list). That said i think that it was actually better for an open end mainly because to wrap everything up in one episode usually means a mad rush to the boss and a cheesy death...which would have been something that would have killed this series for me

it was fun while it lasted is all i can say.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 16:16   Link #2588
Necro-

the ending was kinda dissapointing, although - not as bad if we get a second season.
Necro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 18:22   Link #2589
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well guess the only way to get a conclusive ending was to deviate even more from the novel. Did that at times but guess they wanted to leave it open. After all need the novels to finish and maybe why we don`t have answers (The story of his gaining contractor powers) is because even the novels don`t have those answered. So...need the author to finish up and get us a second season already .

With the last episode, does give off the power of that thing if just holding its hand back for a couple seconds took absolutely everything they had. Definitely would be a bad thing if anything more than that ever spent a few moments on the earth.

Do feel they left it for season 2 since we do need to answer those things and also kill Lapis and Burnheart. I wonder if Lapis was lying about Rin`s last words. After all she said herself she wanted to see despair and telling Kazuma like that would certainly have an impact. Though at the point of death we can blame people for not being able to help us so who knows.

While I wasn`t all too happy with things like handling Ayano`s character and development, budget for animation and really bad fights at times (battle at the baths ) still was a series that every week I was looking forward to how things would progress. Besdies this became my posting flagship where I went crazy .

Kazuma really was a great male lead being strong yet having these haunting issues. Dealing with his father and after winning not being sure what to do now. Losing Rin and how that was always there. As many would he lost in in seeing Lapis and didn`t just snap out of it. I`ll probably give a more detailed review later.
Old 2007-09-26, 01:27   Link #2590
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
I'd agree with most of Skyfall's summary too--I'd give it a slightly higher score, just because Kazuma is a great lead--I wish there were more leads in anime like him.
QFE

Quote:
Ayano spent way too much time in the same serafuku, although it was funny when Gonzo poked fun at it.
I think they did explain this in the 1st novel saying that it is a really expensive and extremely good quality uniform, made especially for battle, but still...
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 01:29   Link #2591
Rusty Venture

It was cool seeing a little action from Ayano's dad again. After all he went through to get them together he should've been a bit more happy outwardly.
Rusty Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 07:09   Link #2592
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

I'm picky and thought it was kind of terrible, yet I watched until the end which qualifies this anime as watchable, I guess. I wouldn't advice it to anybody thou.
Sarugaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 17:06   Link #2593
iwubanime
FMP wubber

I just finished episode 24 after watching like ten episodes straight a few days ago.

I'll admit it wasn't an amazing series but I had a lot of fun with it. Kazuma is a great male lead who's cocky attitude makes him enjoyable to watch and Ayano reminded me of Chidori from FMP (my favorite series).

I'll admit it was a bit episodic which usually I really am not fond of. I couldn't watch Darker than Black and I really didn't like Cowboy Beebop. So this was surprising. I think the characters really helped in that regard since I really enjoyed them.

I liked the Kazuma x Ayano moments, I realize they were better in the novels but I felt like they did a good job with it in the anime. Romance is one of my more favored genres so having this pairing in the series was what made the series for me. If they had taken out the romance aspect I don't think I would have liked the series very much (if at all). One thing that I've found I've been enjoying more and more is when both characters are able to handle their own in an action anime. Not having Ayano as the damsel in distress (at least not toward the end) made this much better.

I'm not usually too picky about animation which is generally because I can't see those flaws (I didn't notice any issues with Suzuka for like 20 episodes... lol). It seemed adequate enough and I always enjoyed the wind/fire effects.

I found the OP/ED songs to be quite catchy and have listened to them multiple times. I didn't really notice much in the form of background music but like animation I'm kinda clueless when it comes to those things. It isn't until I check out an OST that I realize I remember hearing a song

Overall one of my more favored series for the past spring season (though I'm still behind on a lot).

Somewhere between a 7.8/10 and a 8.1/10

Obviously the ending could have been better but I'm hopeful they did that because there will be a season 2.
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 22:12   Link #2594
Pparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetful_Duck View Post
Hmmm, the ending doesn't really seem to conclude everything... especially with burnheart and lapis still around and mentioning they'll be meeting again.

2nd season anyone?

Also does anyone know how far the story in the anime has gone compared to the novels?
I just finish reading the novel 1-6 and couple extra story (chinese translation). It seem the anime end at the end of Main novel #5. Sadly there was also the news that the author is sick and the possiblity the novel series might not be continuing. The news of author's health issue can be find at the end of one of the extra story novel and japan wiki site.
Pparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 09:37   Link #2595
Bondius
Busting in on girls.. O.O

Hey guys, I don't think I saw these pics around the topic:
Spoiler for Hot spring, bathing suit and 2 other normal pics ...:
Bondius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 16:24   Link #2596
spaz

Just finished this anime off and it was awesome though the ending is screaming for a second season since no one died!
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 16:45   Link #2597
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Did Bernhard say Genma is a contractor?

That I didn't know....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 17:07   Link #2598
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ neither do i...burnheart never said anything about genma being a contractor and we know that he isnt

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 17:52   Link #2599
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Did Bernhard say Genma is a contractor?

That I didn't know....
If I remember correctly it was something like "power comparable to that of a Contractor". Or at least that's what the subs said.

BTW nice pics, Bondius
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 18:43   Link #2600
lazyasian224
Woot Eclair is a hottie
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to lazyasian224
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
If I remember correctly it was something like "power comparable to that of a Contractor". Or at least that's what the subs said.
he could quite possiblely be a contractor... i mean hes got the blue flame and all so maybe like thats the sign of a flame contractor?

maybe hes been toyin with kazuma this whole time
lazyasian224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen