Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-01, 16:27   Link #341
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Ok maybe someone can identify a song of a commercial for me. It's the theme song for the Helio Black Ocean Cellphone.
Those flying robots look remarkably like the Infobots that unlock higher levels in the Ratchet&Clank games.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 05:19   Link #342
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Bit off a odd question. But i may as well try it here instead of opening a new thread... It's a bit silly anyway.

I had a discussion with my parents about why i don't get fat. My answer was Metabolism. Since i can eat whatever i want without gaining weight. And even in my days of visiting the Mc donalds 3 times a week i didn't gain on any weight.

Now the weird thing is my parent's are convince it's my lifestyle of sitting behind the computer to much that makes me not gain on weight (right... if sitting behind the computer does something at all. than it would be making people fat.)

Now the problem is my parents are chines and since i'm raised in the Netherlands i can't always explain everything i think due to having problems with words( and i can't read Chinese)... And there is no way i can explain my parents what metabolism is en does to weight.

So now for the question. Does anyone know a site where Metabolism is explained and how it can affect weight like not gaining weight by having a fast metabolism in Mandarin?

Yes i know this is very silly. And i hope someone that reads Chinese can help me out here. Since my opinion and words are just wasted effort.

Thanks in advance.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 00:27   Link #343
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Sephi - you can always try wikipedia.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 02:29   Link #344
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think what he want is a Chinese-translation of the explanation.

Solution 1 - would be to go as Aoie said to wiki, just go to the Chinese wiki.
Solution 2 - find one of those translating sites and translate a english version to chinese. Well better then nothing.
Old 2007-06-04, 02:45   Link #345
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I think I can win the silly question award with this

I downloaded Window Media Player 11.. unfortunately its in Italian language.. so the question is..

How do I change the language to English?

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 02:50   Link #346
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
I think I can win the silly question award with this

I downloaded Window Media Player 11.. unfortunately its in Italian language.. so the question is..

How do I change the language to English?

Hmmmmm...

I think downloading the English version would solve the problem. :3
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 04:46   Link #347
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Sephi - you can always try wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I think what he want is a Chinese-translation of the explanation.

Solution 1 - would be to go as Aoie said to wiki, just go to the Chinese wiki.
Solution 2 - find one of those translating sites and translate a english version to chinese. Well better then nothing.

I did checked Wiki. I scanned true it quikly. but i didn't found it explaining anywhere how weight can be influed by metabolism. And meh since i don't read a word Chinese i couldn't really check what the Chinese wiki version had to say about metabolism.

And i tried babblefish translation.. I wouldn't dare letting my parents read that since god knows what the translation turns in to. It's ok translating single words. But a whole article is a bit to much.

@Kira_naruto
Is your Windows Italian? If so try setting language to English. Some M$ product follow the language from your os. For example my Live messenger is English... Because my windows version is English. I had a dutch msn version when i had a dutch Windows. I never bothered with reinstalling MSN so i'm still using a English version... so might not work

Old 2007-06-04, 05:10   Link #348
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Sephi - the translation is for you parents, correct right?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-06-04, 05:30   Link #349
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

yes. As they only read Chinese (mandarin)

Old 2007-06-04, 07:21   Link #350
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
@Kira_naruto
Is your Windows Italian? If so try setting language to English. Some M$ product follow the language from your os. For example my Live messenger is English... Because my windows version is English. I had a dutch msn version when i had a dutch Windows. I never bothered with reinstalling MSN so i'm still using a English version... so might not work
No.. My computer regional setting is set to Japanese ..All my software runs in English ... I'm a Malaysian .. I know jack about Italian except Inter Milan FC and Roma FC and Paolo Maldini
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 10:50   Link #351
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Sephi - I cannot read chinese a single bit but check if these 2 sentences matches a single bit, and there's this thingy with Traditional and Simplified, which I have no idea what that means but i'm gonna use "Simplified" then "Traditional."

English version - Metabolism is the complete set of chemical reactions that occurs in living cells. These processes are the basis of life, allowing cells to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures, and respond to their environments. Metabolism is usually divided into two categories. Catabolic reactions yield energy, an example being the breakdown of food in cellular respiration. Anabolic reactions, on the other hand, use this energy to construct components of cells such as proteins and nucleic acids.

Chinese (simplified) - 新陈代谢是发生在活细胞里的完全套化学反应。这些过程是生活的依据, 允许细胞增长和再生产, 维护他们的结构, 和反应他们的环境。新陈代谢通常被划分成二个类别。分解代谢的反应产生能量, 例子是食物故障在多孔的呼吸作用。促合成反应, 另一方面, 使用这能量修建组分细胞譬如蛋白质和核酸。

Chinese (traditional) - 新陳代謝是發生在活細胞裡的完全套化學反應。這些過程是生活的依據, 允許細胞增長和再生產, 維護他們的結構, 和反應他們的環境。新陳代謝通常被劃分成二個類別。分解代謝的反應產生能量, 例子是食物故障在多孔的呼吸作用。促合成反應, 另一方面, 使用這能量修建組分細胞譬如蛋白質和核酸。

ps: I don't really know the difference, gomen. If it helped any, you can go here to translate a paragraph by paragraph.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Old 2007-06-04, 11:18   Link #352
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
English version - Metabolism is the complete set of chemical reactions that occurs in living cells. These processes are the basis of life, allowing cells to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures, and respond to their environments. Metabolism is usually divided into two categories. Catabolic reactions yield energy, an example being the breakdown of food in cellular respiration. Anabolic reactions, on the other hand, use this energy to construct components of cells such as proteins and nucleic acids.
That doesn't explain that cells may have low or high metabolism depending on the organism. However, read a bit further and you will find:

Quote:
The speed of metabolism, the metabolic rate, also influences how much food an organism will require.

There's also this entry that explains the Basal Metabolic Rate, which by what I gather is more or less what differentiates the weight gaining rate of people.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 11:56   Link #353
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Metabolic rate dictates the rate of energy consumption within the body, therefore it would be reasonable to assume that metabolic rate influences an organism's appetite, correct?

The following excerpt indirectly addresses the issue of metabolic rate vs body weight.
Quote:
5.提高新陈代谢真的可以帮助减重吗?

每个人的新陈代谢都不同,而且很难被测量。所以我们通常以基础代谢率为参考。我们身体的“成份”是决定 基础代谢的主要因素。根据研究,你所拥有的无脂肪肌肉越多(包括瘦肌肉、骨头、器官),你的基础新陈代谢率 越快。这也就解释了为什么男性的新陈代谢平均值比女性要高20%到40%。遗传和荷尔蒙,比如甲状腺和胰岛 素是控制新陈代谢的其他因素。如果你的新陈代谢可以在允许的范围内提高,那么你相对就消耗了更多的热量,当 然就可以减肥了。
Full article at: http://health.sohu.com/20040901/n221831510.shtml

Sephi, since your parents read Chinese, just google the term "新陈代谢" for them and that should turn up enough answers for them to pick from.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 12:27   Link #354
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Sephi - I cannot read chinese a single bit but check if these 2 sentences matches a single bit, and there's this thingy with Traditional and Simplified, which I have no idea what that means but i'm gonna use "Simplified" then "Traditional."

Chinese (simplified) - 新陈代谢是发生在活细胞里的完全套化学反应。这些过程是生活的依据, 允许细胞增长和再生产, 维护他们的结构, 和反应他们的环境。新陈代谢通常被划分成二个类别。分解代谢的反应产生能量, 例子是食物故障在多孔的呼吸作用。促合成反应, 另一方面, 使用这能量修建组分细胞譬如蛋白质和核酸。

Chinese (traditional) - 新陳代謝是發生在活細胞裡的完全套化學反應。這些過程是生活的依據, 允許細胞增長和再生產, 維護他們的結構, 和反應他們的環境。新陳代謝通常被劃分成二個類別。分解代謝的反應產生能量, 例子是食物故障在多孔的呼吸作用。促合成反應, 另一方面, 使用這能量修建組分細胞譬如蛋白質和核酸。

ps: I don't really know the difference, gomen. If it helped any, you can go here to translate a paragraph by paragraph.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Thanks man. Problem is that wiki article doesn't really give a clear explanation of how fast metabolism influence weight and why i eat like a horse and just don't gain any weight. But i really appreciate the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
That doesn't explain that cells may have low or high metabolism depending on the organism. However, read a bit further and you will find:

There's also this entry that explains the Basal Metabolic Rate, which by what I gather is more or less what differentiates the weight gaining rate of people.
Hehe even though i know what it means i don't think my parents find just that convincing enough ^^ But thanks the BRM one doesn't has a chinese version either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
Metabolic rate dictates the rate of energy consumption within the body, therefore it would be reasonable to assume that metabolic rate influences an organism's appetite, correct?

The following excerpt indirectly addresses the issue of metabolic rate vs body weight.

Full article at: http://health.sohu.com/20040901/n221831510.shtml

Sephi, since your parents read Chinese, just google the term "新陈代谢" for them and that should turn up enough answers for them to pick from.
And mmm yes i could google the term 新陈代谢. Problem with doing that in google with English gave me some results from person screaming fast metabolism makes you gain weight fast to... Now i really don't know the exact detail about that statement, but it is the opposite of what i think of fast metabolism ^^ so the problem was i didn't knew if the source was correct or even accurate if i did that with 新陈代谢 who knows what kind of statements i show my parents. And i really want to explain my parents something about metabolism, as people of there generation obviously didn't got that taught by school, and so are they just as clueless as why a airplane can fly.

I hope the indirectly link with metabolism and weight is clear enough in the link. I'll just show them that and see what they think of it.

Thanks everyone for there help

And @kira_naruto. Don't forget pizza!!! But sory can't help you there. Perhaps Microsoft sended a wrong version during download ^^ tried reinstalling it and making sure it is english version.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...&qstechnology=
You get to select language version.

If it still fail i can offer you a workaround Get winamp I was using mediaplayer 11 until a month ago. And i don't regret switching over to Winamp.

Old 2007-06-04, 12:35   Link #355
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

OK, things are weird here, so I'm now the one asking the stupid question.

According to most things I've found on the web, a higher metabolism makes you burn fat faster. However, by fiddling around with most BRM calculators I found, I get a contradictory result.

For example, I'm male, 18 years old, weigh 119 pounds and stand 5'7". With most calculators, my BRM is 1534. Now, when I input 200 pounds instead of 119, keeping everything the same way, I get a result of 2037.4. Now, that means that, if I weighed more, my metabolism would be higher! WTF?!

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-06-04 at 12:51.
Old 2007-06-04, 13:53   Link #356
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
For example, I'm male, 18 years old, weigh 119 pounds and stand 5'7". With most calculators, my BRM is 1534. Now, when I input 200 pounds instead of 119, keeping everything the same way, I get a result of 2037.4. Now, that means that, if I weighed more, my metabolism would be higher! WTF?!
It just goes to show that it's never really cut and dry as we'd like to believe. The only explanation I could offer is that if you're heavier, you have to exert more energy in general. More energy to move, and in the case of very unhealthy lifestyle/extreme obesity, your heart must exert more energy to circulate the blood. Other organs must work harder as well.

While it ties to metabolism, it isn't 100% metabolism, either. Much of it is diet, as people mentioned. However, there are some other factors, including:

Genetics - the theory that some people's bodies are predispositioned to either crave/more efficiently absorb fats and energy.

Bacteria - we naturally have bacteria all over and within our bodies (excluding the blood stream and certain other areas). Bacteria are responsible for breaking down some foods and creating certain nutrients that our body would be unable to on its own. The thought is that some people may have strains of bacteria that make fats more readily available than others.

In either case, your nutrition is what's important. How much you eat also matters. Our bodies naturally have an indicator that shuts off the hunger sensation when we're full, but many people eat beyond that. In some people, the indicator is skewed (this is particularly prevalent in children whose mothers were either famished or obese during their pregnancy), and it drives them to over eat. The original poster may eat at McDonald's three times a week, but it doesn't mean that he's eating much else, or that he's eating the less healthy options (not determined by counting carbs). And if his basal metabolic rate is naturally high, then it wouldn't matter, either.

///

Question of my own. I'd like to have a ring engraved, but I want it engraved in Chinese (and/or Japanese) characters. I've been to some jewelry shops in Chinatown and Little Tokyo in the Los Angeles area, and none of them offered an engraving service. "Regular" jewelry shops didn't offer engraving with those characters (understandably). Where would I get this done? I'd imagine that there are custom engravers that exist, who would treat the characters as an image and engrave that way, but I presume that it'd be more expensive than if I could find a place that treats each character as a character, rather than a custom image. Any advice, businesses to recommend, or experiences to share?
Old 2007-06-04, 14:07   Link #357
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Our bodies naturally have an indicator that shuts off the hunger sensation when we're full, but many people eat beyond that.
Well, truly enough, I find it very hard to eat something past my stomach's limit. It gives me a strong feeling of repulsion. Maybe that's why I never got very heavy (in fact, I could be considered medically underweight if it wasn't for the fact that I've always been like this. In fact, my weight hasn't moved a pound since when I was 13).

Old 2007-06-04, 14:08   Link #358
DarkUmi
COOKIES!!!!!

You could try a small jewlery buisness, but I doubt you find one that does Chinese/Japanese characters. And if you have alot of money to spend, you could try Disney World in Orlando, Flordia! I saw a shop in one of the parks that did jewlery engravings.
DarkUmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 15:38   Link #359
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
ddling around with most BRM calculators I found, I get a contradictory result.

Mmm i'm 20 and im about a cm shorter than you and i weigh 62Kilo. (138 pound) And my parents still think i'm skinny...

I even go to gym twice a week and since i started i went from 20kilo to 65 kilo on some devices. And all i gained was 2-3 Kilo's ( and i wasn't fat at all, so even if muscles weigh more than fat.. i didn't really had any)

The world is so unfair if i think of it :P People want to lose weight and they fail and i wanna gain and i fail.

But atleast my parents know what i'm talking about when i say metabolism. Now for a way to convince my dad that my reason for not getting fat isn't because i sit behind the computer to much... Yea doesn't make sense his way of thinking.

Mmm another silly question. But is the reason they don't do the engraving because of the meaning of the characters? Or they just don't do Chinese/Japanese characters at all? I personally can see why they wont do it if the words is insulting or means something bad. But if it's just because its some ch/jp characters i find it somewhat strange.

Old 2007-06-04, 17:16   Link #360
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Mmm another silly question. But is the reason they don't do the engraving because of the meaning of the characters? Or they just don't do Chinese/Japanese characters at all? I personally can see why they wont do it if the words is insulting or means something bad. But if it's just because its some ch/jp characters i find it somewhat strange.
They just don't do the characters. I'd imagine that it's because of the way that their engraving system is set up. It's probably only designed to deal with Roman character sets. Chinese/Japanese characters are quite different. So, I would have expected that jewelers in Chinatown/Little Tokyo areas would have had those language-capable systems, but they don't do engraving at all. I may be going about it wrong, and perhaps rather than checking jewelry stores for engraving capabilities, I should look for a dedicated engraver. I didn't really think that such services existed, but perhaps they do?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious