AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-10, 01:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 721 [manga] (NOTE: NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Hey, guys! It's that time of week again, though the current spoiler is a small one. This time around credit goes to AP's kaze1028 for the goods:

-Chapter title is "Rebecca and the Toy Soldier". The ministory has Caribou forcing himself down Scotch's throat (ewww!).

-Looks like this chapter gives us a look at Rebecca's past. Basically, the flashback's first half involves Rebecca living in poverty with her mother (named Scarlet). Unfortunately, it looks like Scarlet gets killed by a group of rebels led by Diamante as she went to buy food for their survival. The toy soldier discovers her corpse, brings her to Rebecca, and explains the situation. Basically, the new king (Doflamingo) is hunting down anyone related to the country's FORMER king..... which included Scarlet. Around the same time, Doflamingo announces that the old king was a tyrant who oppressed his people, but promises that he will treat them with proper respect.....

-From that point on, the soldier became Rebecca's guardian, protecting and training her. As the time passed, the soldier became a wanted criminal in Dressrosa. Back to the present, the crowd at the arena boos Rebecca because of her relation to the former king. This naturally angers Luffy, but the imprisoned warriors are about to give him the full story of why the people harbor so much hatred towards the girl and her lineage......

Spoiler:

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-09-10 at 03:06.
Old 2013-09-10, 01:52   Link #2
Veviticus

Aww if Rebecca is a possible princess, that lowers the chance of her joining the crew D:
Old 2013-09-10, 01:54   Link #3
Rainbowman

Looks like Luffy got his rage face on, so that means he's determined to give Doflamingo the beatdown.
Old 2013-09-10, 02:02   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
Aww if Rebecca is a possible princess, that lowers the chance of her joining the crew D:

Good thing I never saw her as being crew material in the first place!

Anyway, if my theory from my last post proves true, then I guess that means the toy soldier is probably Kyros, not Ricky. At least, that would explain why everyone "forgot" about him. Also, I find it interesting that this arc now seems to have TWO princesses in it (Rebecca, and the dwarf princess mentioned a few chapters back)......
Old 2013-09-10, 02:04   Link #5
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Good thing I never saw her as being crew material in the first place!

Anyway, if my theory from my last post proves true, then I guess that means the toy soldier is probably Kyros, not Ricky. At least, that would explain why everyone "forgot" about him. Also, I find it interesting that this arc now seems to have TWO princesses in it (Rebecca, and the dwarf princess mentioned a few chapters back)......
Well it doesn't have to have be two princess. I already theorized that Dwarf princess and Rebecca are the same.
Old 2013-09-10, 02:18   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Well it doesn't have to have be two princess. I already theorized that Dwarf princess and Rebecca are the same.

Putting the different names aside, Leo described the dwarf princess as being a really spoiled brat..... which in no way fits Rebecca's characterization so far. So unless she shows signs of being an insufferable little scamp in the flashback, I'm pretty much gonna go with there being two princesses, yeah.
Old 2013-09-10, 02:44   Link #7
Homura7

Quote:
Since she's referred as "phantom princess" I suppose she's not really one, right? And if she's, then how come she lived in poverty as shown in that panel in which she asks her mother for food. Something doesn't fit right, there.

EDIT: A translation is up. Looks like Rebecca is no princess but she's from the linage of the former king.

Last edited by Homura7; 2013-09-10 at 02:56.
Old 2013-09-10, 03:08   Link #8
marvelB

Well, Aohige gave a full summary, so I updated the first post. Interesting how it seems Dofla basically succeeded where Crocodile failed in Alabasta (stealing the throne from a king, that is).....
Old 2013-09-10, 03:23   Link #9
JonSnow

Rebecca's past is worst than Vive and Namis combined.
Old 2013-09-10, 03:54   Link #10
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Putting the different names aside, Leo described the dwarf princess as being a really spoiled brat..... which in no way fits Rebecca's characterization so far. So unless she shows signs of being an insufferable little scamp in the flashback, I'm pretty much gonna go with there being two princesses, yeah.
yes leo did do such thing, but maybe Leo was talking about her life before her mother died. Maybe her mother cared a lot for her and treat her very kindly. Also it doesn't have to mean Spoiled brat in an exact literal sense.

Just go back to VV, nami, Robin and just look at their after and before full explained story. They are not exactly the same right ?

But i agree the two princess theory is also a possibility .

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Shiruto View Post
Since she's referred as "phantom princess" I suppose she's not really one, right? And if she's, then how come she lived in poverty as shown in that panel in which she asks her mother for food. Something doesn't fit right, there.

EDIT: A translation is up. Looks like Rebecca is no princess but she's from the linage of the former king.
Ok i am confused as how any of what you said goes against what i just said.

Also isn't a princess part of a king's lineage? I would think it is .

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2013-09-10 at 04:33.
Old 2013-09-10, 04:10   Link #11
Veviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Shiruto View Post

That makes me feel better =) I actually wouldn't mind if rebecca is not the new member. If there are going to be new members in the future, I just hope there's at least 1 new female.

Her past really is like Vivi and Nami combined eh.
Old 2013-09-10, 04:25   Link #12
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Also isn't a princess part of a king's lineage?
Is Henri d'Orléans a king or a prince? Is he part of the king's lineage?

The answer to this question is, no he is not a king or a prince because France no longer has kings or princes. And yes he is part of the king's lineage, because he is the descendant of a past King.

Hopefully I have helped you better understand the world in some small way.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri,_..._duc_de_France
Old 2013-09-10, 04:49   Link #13
JonSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Where the hell did you get the Idea that the "Dwarf" princess is the same person as the "human" Rebecca?
Old 2013-09-10, 05:30   Link #14
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Where the hell did you get the Idea that the "Dwarf" princess is the same person as the "human" Rebecca?
Where does it say the princess has to be Dwarf? Their Tribe princess could be the kingdom's princess ( a human) or maybe "their" princess could be read as their nakama princess macheri, ... .
Old 2013-09-10, 05:34   Link #15
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I can feel rage boiling inside me after see how the audience treat Rebecca

They are supposed to be these funny and easygoing people, that we all love, who cheers on Lucy a few chapters back

Oda is doing it right, we need more rage towards Dofla...more than rage towards Crocodile or Bellamy
Old 2013-09-10, 05:39   Link #16
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
well the manga chapter is out. Though It is a very sad story and understandable why she is crying, all of these cryings could be the signs you were looking for as what Leo was saying .
Old 2013-09-10, 05:45   Link #17
Veviticus

Not even close. Crying does not prove her being bitter, selfish, cruel, spoiled and ill tempered.
Rebecca being alone also proves that your theory is incorrect.
She was with toy soldier for years.
The dwarf princess is working as a slave with 500 other dwarves.
Characterization doesn't match

It was a sad chapter indeed. There was one funny moment though. A boy gets punched by toy soldier for making rebecca cry. And another boy gets punched for trying to give rebecca a love? letter
Old 2013-09-10, 05:56   Link #18
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
I can feel rage boiling inside me after see how the audience treat Rebecca

They are supposed to be these funny and easygoing people, that we all love, who cheers on Lucy a few chapters back

Oda is doing it right, we need more rage towards Dofla...more than rage towards Crocodile or Bellamy
If what Doflamingo said is right, and they were living in poverty before his reign - the citizens of DressRosa are enjoying prosperity peak of their lives.. even if it's the result of Doflamingo's spread of misery around the world.

Their hypocritical stance reminds me of criticism of first-world nations and its relations with third-world. Enjoying wealth and prosperity at the expense of others.

I'm inclined to agree with Bartlomeo's statement and view of them.
In a way, it's a less self aware version of the wealthy citizens of Sabaody islands.

The only thing that may turn them around is the revelations of loved-ones-turned-toys.
Old 2013-09-10, 05:58   Link #19
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Not even close. Crying does not prove her being bitter, selfish, cruel, spoiled and ill tempered.
Rebecca being alone also proves that your theory is incorrect.
She was with toy soldier for years.
The dwarf princess is working as a slave with 500 other dwarves.
Characterization doesn't match
You are taking leo's words to be too literal. I highly doubt Leo ever meant those words in a literal way.

Also it was just said within the establishment lies the princes, not that she is working there. Also even if she was working there that wouldn't make it wrong. Doflamingo might have decided to make her fight and finish her in his tournament ( along with luffy).

Wouldn't it make it a grand plan/finale for doflamingo? Getting rid of his enemies in one arena and round. Goes a long with a puppet master's role.
Old 2013-09-10, 06:05   Link #20
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
If what Doflamingo said is right, and they were living in poverty before his reign - the citizens of DressRosa are enjoying prosperity peak of their lives.. even if it's the result of Doflamingo's spread of misery around the world.

Their hypocritical stance reminds me of criticism of first-world nations and its relations with third-world. Enjoying wealth and prosperity at the expense of others.

I'm inclined to agree with Bartlomeo's statement and view of them.
In a way, it's a less self aware version of the wealthy citizens of Sabaody islands.

The only thing that may turn them around is the revelations of loved-ones-turned-toys.
That's also what I thought, when I read this chapter. Again, really nice socio-critical build-up by Oda. Nice comment, aohige!

In addition, there's one highly interesting detail in your comment - the very first word "If". I'm looking forward to another flashback, which shows, if Doflamingo did something similar to Crocodile's actions in Alabasta.

Good chapter story-wise. I liked the scene at the end where Rebecca cemented her determination by dropping her shield and going purely in attack-mode.

Last edited by ri0; 2013-09-10 at 06:23.
Closed Thread