Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-08-28, 20:38   Link #5761
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think American Exceptionalism is a very dangerous idea. Holding your country is unique, special and plays by it's own special rules is simply a recipe for decline, stagnation and pointless wars and bad diplomacy.
I kind of loke the way Obama go with this, saying than American Exceptionalism isn't the only one, as all countries have some kind of Exceptionalism, or at least their citizens belive so.
Of course, the republicans attack him on that.

Edit: Ann Romney: 'This Man Will Lift Up America!'
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ca_651062.html
Or trying to make Romney look a bit more humane to a public than already took his side...
Old 2012-08-28, 20:49   Link #5762
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I kind of loke the way Obama go with this, saying than American Exceptionalism isn't the only one, as all countries have some kind of Exceptionalism, or at least their citizens belive so.
Of course, the republicans attack him on that.
Sounds like something he'd say. As a matter of interest, do you know when he said this? I'd be interested in seeing the quote in his words.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 20:59   Link #5763
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think American Exceptionalism is a very dangerous idea. Holding your country is unique, special and plays by it's own special rules is simply a recipe for decline, stagnation and pointless wars and bad diplomacy.

You might love how you're so special, all the other countries in the world mightn't agree with you.
That's true, but the problem is that to the people who believe this, if you're not beating the same drum that they are then they assume that you're against them. It's essentially a form of elitism, with those who don't beat the drum being called "anti-American" and other bullshit terms; meanwhile, those who beat the drum loudest and hardest are viewed with respect and are given support. People like this probably exist across all societies; as long as they're fairly small in number (or if they're quiet about their beliefs), those sorts of beliefs don't cause problems. We just seem to have hit the "critical mass" for such things in America, and it makes it very difficult to put it down.

I think I remember reading that Obama quote in a news article that was fairly recent...? It struck me as being a diplomatic way of trying to get these people to snap out of those types of views. I doubt any of them listened. Some probably just seized on it to claim that Obama was an anti-American foreigner. Sad state of affairs.
Old 2012-08-29, 01:00   Link #5764
james0246

Since the Conventions are upon us, I've split the thread (and will rename this thread). Here is the new 2012 Election Coverage thread. Please move all relevant discussions to the new thread (i.e. move all new discussions). (I'm going to lock this thread for a day just to make sure that the new thread receives attention.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 elections, us elections