AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-23, 10:38   Link #281
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
...I'll also have to say Shiki has been the least enjoyable thus far in years for a noitamina time slot...
Lol. One of the more enjoyable, for me. But not for being either scary or realistic. More for its stylishness, vivid and fantastic characters, and the sense of inevitable tragedies. I feel a slight reminiscence of Paradise Kiss in the angular look and in the damping down of emotion.
Spoiler for ep3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou
I'm not sure if I like their choice of putting some colour and slight shading into the eyes of the Kirishiki women. The purely black, hollow-ish look is much better, now they look like they have literal bug-eyes...
Close enough for me, on my screen, but an interesting point. That total darkness was one of the strongest aspects of the character design in the manga. No doubt they found the total emptiness a step too far in the colored anime context.

Yuuki Aoi strikes again. Not what I expected at all...
Spoiler for ep3:
Sunako, the Kanemasas, Takumi, the long-faced friend -- the director is not going for realism, but for characters that are vivid fantasies. Excellent voice work not just by Yuuki Aoi, but by Ohkawa Tohru as the doctor (the most realistic), by Gackt as Kanemasa, by Orikasa Ai as Mrs. Kanemasa, and by Takagai Wataru (Great Teacher Onizuka) as Takumi, in the final scene.

The very odd feel of this show reminds me not just of the manga, but also of the fact that the director is most famous for shows done in a previous era: Macross 7 and Zeta Gundam.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-07-23 at 13:24.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 11:08   Link #282
zette

Only just recently had the time to watch this series. Having a busy school life blows.

I'm not too fond of the character designs. They're certainly unique that's for sure, but I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to them. It's only been 2 eps though so that will probably change. Other than that, everything has been really good so far and they certainly have me hooked and wanting to know what happens next. I'm almost tempted to read the manga because of this, but I don't like reading manga very much and would rather learn the story through the anime. Must refrain, must refrain. Very interesting character personalities as well, especially the doctor and the purple-haired guy. Didn't like that they killed off Megumi so quickly though as Haruka Tomatsu's voice acting is a pleasure to listen to.

Haven't seen ep3 yet but the pictures monir posted certainly seem interesting. Guess I should gtfo of this thread before I get spoiled for this ep.
Old 2010-07-23, 22:19   Link #283
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I recall something similar happening a while back with another show (unnamed to avoid spoilers but it was an urban fantasy involving swords and yokai extermination). It's not a bad stunt
I'm sorry, but I can't help but ask as to quench the thirst that is my curiosity... The show you're talking about in particular was the prequel to a certain manga, am I correct? Or is it something else?

Back on thread topic, FINALLY got around to watching this anime today. I like it a lot. It's... different. (Sorry for the lack of eloquence. It's hard to describe how I feel for this show.) I'm definitely sticking with this one.

Edit: I also thought I'd add that I find the OP ong horrendous for some reason. The animation to it is spot on, totally fits the show. But the song is just blah to my ears. My personal opinion. I adore the ED, however. It's lovely and the animation matches it nicely. <3

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2010-07-23 at 22:51.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 22:34   Link #284
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Why do horror shows loves little girls?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 01:45   Link #285
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Why do horror shows loves little girls?
Because they look innocent and are prob the first to sink a knife in your back.

Loss of innocence seems to be a theme for this title even for the adult characters. I'm really starting to feel sorry for the monk and the doctor.

Spoiler for ep.3:

I bet the daughter isn't young either. That sound that she made before the laugh was plain creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
I'm not sure if I like their choice of putting some colour and slight shading into the eyes of the Kirishiki women. The purely black, hollow-ish look is much better, now they look like they have literal bug-eyes...
I like the shading. No one would really want to get to know someone with "hollow" eyes. The shading gives some depth to them. Sunako's eyes are really pretty.

Last edited by orion; 2010-07-24 at 02:32.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 04:03   Link #286
Blaat

I'm looking forward to Masao's dead. (he better die)

Anyway I must say I love some of the outlandish hairstyles in this series
Old 2010-07-24, 04:05   Link #287
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler for ep.3:
Spoiler for Ep3 response:
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 05:08   Link #288
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 03:

This is easily the best show of the season in my eyes, that there's nothing that comes close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I'm looking forward to Masao's dead. (he better die)
I don't know if i want him to die, though even if that is bound to happen, i'm very much looking forward to his development along the way, because i became very interested with him after this episode.
Old 2010-07-24, 05:47   Link #289
zette

Ep3 was good.

Spoiler:

Still not used to the character designs though. Masao is wtf, and the nurse's hair is just sheer ridiculousness.
Old 2010-07-24, 10:50   Link #290
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Still not used to the character designs though. Masao is wtf, and the nurse's hair is just sheer ridiculousness.
I actually thought I was used to the chara design by now, then I saw Masao and the nurse's hair
I'm still not used to Tatsumi's design either. Jesus, that hair...

Spoiler for episode 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yuuki Aoi strikes again. Not what I expected at all...
Spoiler for ep3:
I was expecting her to sound like Mina from Vampire Bund, so I was also very surprised to hear such a cute and innocent voice (at first, that is). I absolutely loved her performance.

By the way, isn't Kanemasa just the name of the mansion? The name of the family is Kirishiki.
Old 2010-07-24, 11:20   Link #291
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Spoiler for Ep3 response:
Spoiler for ep.3:
Old 2010-07-24, 11:29   Link #292
klare

i am still not sure what type of show is this...
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 12:29   Link #293
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
A murder (for the moment) mystery with likely supernatural elements ?
Old 2010-07-24, 12:48   Link #294
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Spoiler for ep.3:
Please explain the numbers. Sounds interesting.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 14:48   Link #295
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
It's a mystery show... However, the "big mystery" actually isn't all that mysterious, as common sense can easily tell you what's happening; even without having ever taken a glance at the manga.

After speed-reading through all of the existing chapters of the manga last night, however, I'd say it's more of a story about emotions, instincts, human-nature and survival (mostly psychological matters); rather than a mystery thing. I know the creator's aim was mystery, but it's just too subtle. Unless that was intentional.
Old 2010-07-24, 18:51   Link #296
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Talk about let the "wrong" one in... Let's all invite the vamps into our houses as fast as we can!

What type of show is this? For me, not a mystery in the "Higurashi" vein. No, I think it's a stylized, anime version of a Greek tragedy - everyone knows what's happening except the people it's happening to. Heck, it's even in the episode titles. It's all very silly - the grotesquely beautiful character designs, the obvious death flags... There's a bit of parody in this, too.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 10:37   Link #297
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Please explain the numbers. Sounds interesting.
Okay.. but don't yell at me if it's too long.

Spoiler for ep. 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Talk about let the "wrong" one in... Let's all invite the vamps into our houses as fast as we can!

What type of show is this? For me, not a mystery in the "Higurashi" vein. No, I think it's a stylized, anime version of a Greek tragedy - everyone knows what's happening except the people it's happening to. Heck, it's even in the episode titles. It's all very silly - the grotesquely beautiful character designs, the obvious death flags... There's a bit of parody in this, too.
I think that we aren't suppose to jump to that conclusion yet. Maybe this show is for people to assume that the characters haven't watched vampire titles before, prob like 30 Days of Night. The town won't know what hit them until it's too late. Like HotD had one character who did something really stupid. Something that you would only do if you haven't watched Resident Evil movies or played the games and got killed in the first episode.

Last edited by orion; 2010-07-25 at 11:25.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 11:32   Link #298
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think the audience knowing what's happening is a negative thing, necessarily. That's the essence of tragedy as a dramatic model in the classical sense. And it doesn't necessarily mean the characters are stupid - they just don't have the big picture view the audience does. I think the parody elements (and I do think they are there) are winks at the audience, not mockery of the characters.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 12:08   Link #299
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Okay.. but don't yell at me if it's too long.

Spoiler for ep. 3:
Thanks, that's very interesting! Still, even with all those hints, I don't think I can blame him for not thinking Vampires are the cause. It's pretty much the very last explanation someone with a scientific mind would come up with.

What I don't get, though, is why he gave up on Nao so quickly. I would have liked to know why exactly. I can only assume he performed a blood transfusion or anything else that may have helped off screen, and it didn't work.
Old 2010-07-25, 12:28   Link #300
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Thanks, that's very interesting! Still, even with all those hints, I don't think I can blame him for not thinking Vampires are the cause. It's pretty much the very last explanation someone with a scientific mind would come up with.

What I don't get, though, is why he gave up on Nao so quickly. I would have liked to know why exactly. I can only assume he performed a blood transfusion or anything else that may have helped off screen, and it didn't work.
But anyone with the equipment can do bloodletting and she has puncture marks on her forearm. It's more like the author is restricting the character from jumping to the conclusion of "bloodletting".

Don't assume she was transfused. He would have mentioned it if he did it. Besides, they don't look like they can handle that level of trauma. She would prob have to be transferred to a hospital for that.

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire