AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

Old 2012-10-18, 03:33   Link #381
EroKing

Some freebies.

Old 2012-10-18, 06:42   Link #382
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think Mashiro is simply socially retarded, and that quirk is exaggerated for laughs. Her mental faculties doesn't seem to be lacking (she attends school just fine) She's probably lazy too.
Old 2012-10-18, 08:55   Link #383
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Try Paul Erdős. If there was ever a person that comes close to Mashiro, that would be this person.
Erdos was a genius and the man with possibly the greatest sense of wanderlust in human history. But he also published more papers in mathematics, with more mathematicians, than any other person in human history. He was anything but anti-social. He just liked to show up unannounced, but he was quite respectful of everyone.

Anyway, in a vague attempt to clear up a few things:

Someone that's an actual "Genius" possess 1 main trait that causes most of the confusion: the super-human ability to focus. This normally comes at the cost of every other "normal" thought process while they're focusing. This makes them pretty eccentric, as they'll ignore pretty much anything and everything around them. There's also, likely, a set of side issues that crop up from inhibiting most of the rest of the brain that thoroughly for so long.

A "Prodigy" is a person with a fundamental insight into a subject, normally displayed from near birth. To avoid a long discussion of "fundamental" insights, let's just say the fields that prodigy show up in are pretty limited. You generally only see them in music, art and mathematics. They "know" or "see" or "hear" something, at a young age, that the rest of us just simply don't.

Then there are people with supremely High IQs. What it means is they can take in information very quickly and recognize patterns faster than others. It's the ability to process information at a faster clip than the rest of the population.

All 3 of those are actually independent of each other. Someone can have 1, 2 or 3 (though all 3 is very rare, mostly as genius prodigies are pretty much the rarest combination) But there is a trait that's far more likely to happen to someone that has one of these 3. It's called "cognitive disinhibition" (See this Scientific American article ). This is the "one step from Schizophrenia" bit that's an important point in the movie A Beautiful Mind. You can have this without being super intelligent, but it will generally make your more creative as everything you take in will blend together.

For our purposes with Sakurasou, Shiina is something like a genius prodigy at art (see how she completely ignored Sorata after getting what she needed) with a blend of autistic traits (generally a given for those types, though seems a bit more like Asperger's) with anti-social behavior (she completely ignores boundaries). She's a bit more benign than Misaki-senpai, however, who also has a pretty heavy dose of anti-social behavior.

Which is why I said you'll never really meet someone like this in real life. Art prodigies get the bad end of the stick for mental stability, normally down to the cognitive disinhibition bit. So, they do exist, but meeting them is rather unlikely. Still, I question letting Shiina be anywhere actually unattended. Sorata is going to have his work cut out for him.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 08:55   Link #384
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think Mashiro is simply socially retarded, and that quirk is exaggerated for laughs. Her mental faculties doesn't seem to be lacking (she attends school just fine) She's probably lazy too.
Pretty much this,though I would still speculate that she's a bit autistic I think for the most part she's got no idea how to interact in society but the mental problem isn't that big,she can still learn stuff, like how she remembered that she needs to pay for something before eating it.
Old 2012-10-18, 09:17   Link #385
novalysis

I'd say that she's Autistic too. Possibly Asperger's syndrome, possibly on the lower end of the High Functioning scale.

(Then again, fiction tends not to portray high Functioning Aspergers with much subtlety. But, it wouldn't be as interesting to have a socially blind character with a poor understanding of social norms as opposed to one clearly incapable of taking care of herself with absolutely no understanding of Social norms.)

It wouldn't be fair to say that Mashiro is lazy though. When it comes to art, she seems very hardworking indeed. Still, Sorata, a sane, level and reliable man seems to be a good match for helping her .
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 11:08   Link #386
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I do think that usually the cute mutes and emotionless girls have some traumatic experience to attribute to their current condition; thus far they are presenting it as a trait that is innate to her being. The only reason I’m hoping for a bit of depth in this direction is because usually, the impulsive nature, lack of personal boundaries, and the inability to take care of ones self to a slovenly degree (bonus points for being a bottle fairy) are all traits usually attributed to a character like Chihiro or Misaki.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 12:00   Link #387
kazzuya13

All geniuses are weirdos but not all weirdos are genius...
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 00:24   Link #388
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Preview of episode 3 is up

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

More manservice!And what's up with the door at 00:04
Old 2012-10-19, 00:49   Link #389
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
All geniuses are weirdos but not all weirdos are genius...
The line between genius and insanity is not always clear.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 01:01   Link #390
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Preview of episode 3 is up

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

More manservice!And what's up with the door at 00:04
All I heard was who and who are on a date, but I didn't catch the punchline
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 01:47   Link #391
Insane
Banned

Spoiler for Warning! Don't use your weirdest imaginations!:
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 02:29   Link #392
whitecloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Spoiler for Warning! Don't use your weirdest imaginations!:
what...of course we wont...it just a back and forth movement rubbing the women genitalia that only covered by a piece of cloth with man abdomen which in his puberty....dont worry we wont get any weird imagination at all...yup yup...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 04:46   Link #393
sky black swordman

^ It seems to late for you.

So what I can get from the PV for Ep 3 is Jin and Mashiro are going out on a date, I wonder how that happend?
Old 2012-10-19, 05:26   Link #394
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ It seems to late for you.

So what I can get from the PV for Ep 3 is Jin and Mashiro are going out on a date, I wonder how that happend?
But what was the punchline at the end ? Sorata didn't react until he heard it...
Old 2012-10-19, 20:28   Link #395
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
But what was the punchline at the end ? Sorata didn't react until he heard it...
"They're going to a love hotel." That's the line.
Old 2012-10-19, 20:38   Link #396
The Green One

That and the fact that Sorata has been told that helpless little Mashiro is going to be all alone with a confirmed sexual playboy. Hilarity will surely ensue.

I'll give you ten to one odds now that if there actually is a date or an easily misunderstood date like activity, that Jin will be a complete gentleman.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:41   Link #397
iCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
That and the fact that Sorata has been told that helpless little Mashiro is going to be all alone with a confirmed sexual playboy. Hilarity will surely ensue.

I'll give you ten to one odds now that if there actually is a date or an easily misunderstood date like activity, that Jin will be a complete gentleman.
Same, I'm hoping she just asked Jin for advice.. and Jin is going to be a gentleman and show her an example without actually doing anything to her.

If anyone has read the light novels, can they pm me about what actually happened?
Would really appreciate it!!

Last edited by iCK; 2012-10-19 at 21:03.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:19   Link #398
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I would like to think that in a lot of ways, Sakurasou already is a love hotel...
Old 2012-10-19, 21:27   Link #399
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
...I'll give you ten to one odds now that if there actually is a date or an easily misunderstood date like activity, that Jin will be a complete gentleman.
Or that Mashiro will innocently tie him in knots, so that he can't do anything.

Really though, I don't see him exploiting any of the girls he's with, just giving them what they both want. He won't try anything if Mashiro doesn't want him to. Of course at the end of the story he will be with Misaki (whether or not we see the end of the story).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 23:19   Link #400
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I would like to think that in a lot of ways, Sakurasou already is a love hotel...
Oh hell yes!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, slice of life