AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-11-09, 08:28   Link #1
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Human relationships and overcoming barriers

Hello there. As usual my titles are terrible.

I'm looking for a character who has a strong distaste of someone/people/a group for whatever reason but over the course of the series gradually warms up to it thanks to another person. The series should have a solid story and an emphasis on human relationships. Drama is also welcome although I guess that is pretty much included in this kind of show. Romance would be nice too :3

The most recent example I can think of is Houtaro in Hyouka who was stuck in his grey shell but bit by bit saw the colours of the world thanks to Eru. While Hyouka was an excellent show something on the more serious side would be ideal.

Since I like fantasy and magic any elements of that are an added bonus

You can find MAL here.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 08:46   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Why don't you give Ookami-san and her Seven Companions a shot ? I'm sure it fits your request.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 10:16   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm...

I'd suggest Cross Game, Silver Spoon, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Maybe The World God Only Knows as well.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 17:41   Link #4
kitten320

Air could work. Main character doesn't show much interest in anyone at first but gradually warms up to them. Drama is promised. Prepare your tissues!

Hmmm... AnoHana maybe? The group used to be really close at first but because of an accident and many other factors fell apart and most of them dislike each other now. Because of Menma all of them are gradually brought back together.
Another drama promise.

Great Teacher Onizuka has a whole set of complicated characters and some meet your requirement. Very strong series with unique characters, good development and bonding.
Nice comedy and some drama in between. Really worth a watch despite being old.

You could try Hakuouki Reimeiroku which is a prequel to Hakuouki series. Which ones you watch first does not matter in this series case but prequel fits better to what you want.
Main character hates samurais yet ends up under same roof as them.
If you want romance, then it will be Hakuouki Hekketsuroku.

In all honesty I would recommend to watch Reimeiroku first. If you like it then watch first season of Hakuoki and then sequel Hekketsuroku.

If you don't mind something darker then you can try Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Main heroine Ein is a professional assassin who doesn't care about anything but thanks to someone gradually learns to feel again.

Hope some of them will fit what you are looking for.
Old 2012-11-09, 19:06   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Jormungand would be perfect. A boy who hates arms dealers is employed by arms dealers.

I also strongly recommend Natsume's Book of Friends. It's about a guy who's been given nothing but grief by yokai but ends up befriending and helping many of them.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 19:11   Link #6
Kurohane

DearS: a high school boy who is wary of the aliens due to paranoia, but by meeting one one day, and unexectedly taking care of her. he gradually throws away his suspensions. It's a nice love story. If you like the anime, then I suggest reading the manga because the story is incomplete.

Elemental Gelade: A love story between a human and an existence known as an Edel Raid, a living weapon. It is not so much the main character changing his opinions thanks to someone. However, their relationship has many trials due to the conflicting forces of humans and the Edel Raids humans throughout time has abused their powers. A beautiful love story that I highly recommend.

I also second Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom.

Since you watched the first two seasons of Shakugan no Shana and the OVAs, I recommend the third season that concludes the series.

Have you watched Clannad: After Story? It is not listed on your list. If you haven't, I highly recommend you finish that series.
Old 2012-11-09, 19:57   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think you should give Twelve Kingdoms a try. A number of characters, particularly the three main girls in Youko's arc, have strong aversions to others for a variety of common human reasons (tribalism, class, ill-treatment) which they overcome collectively.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee has some of this as well. A Japanese teen-ager travels to late 19th century Paris to work as a shop girl. She's recruited by the shopowner's grandfather while he is touring Japan, and her putative employer is none too happy about her arrival. It's not a romance so much as a story about the clash of cultures.

Neither of these, nor series like these, are on your list so I don't know whether you will find these to your taste or not.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 20:00   Link #8
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think you should give Twelve Kingdoms a try. A number of characters, particularly the three main girls in Youko's arc, have strong aversions to others for a variety of common human reasons (tribalism, class, ill-treatment) which they overcome collectively.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee has some of this as well. A Japanese teen-ager travels to late 19th century Paris to work as a shop girl. She's recruited by the shopowner's grandfather while he is touring Japan, and her putative employer is none too happy about her arrival. It's not a romance so much as a story about the clash of cultures.

Neither of these, nor series like these, are on your list so I don't know whether you will find these to your taste or not.
These!

Also have to give another vote for Natsume's Book of Friends.
Old 2012-11-13, 06:50   Link #9
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

If you don't mind reading manga, I'd like to suggest the manga Onani Master Kurosawa. The main character in this manga fits the bill for your description. There is also a strong emphasis on relationships between people, especially in the later chapters. There is both drama and romance, though no fantasy or magic.

It may start as somewhat of a parody, but it changes into a very good coming-of-age story with a level of character development that is not usually seen.

Now don't let the title or synopsis fool you - this is not even an ecchi story. And this is what I'd like to call a perfect example of "never judge a book by its cover".