AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-04-23, 23:11   Link #161
harmonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Shrink wrap has an amazing ability to "disappear" in the stores. If the warning label were on the shrink wrap, the label would disappear as well.
Then how about a friction sticker on the cover? They are easily pealed off and don't leave sticky residue behind.
harmonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 12:26   Link #162
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonious View Post
Then how about a friction sticker on the cover? They are easily pealed off and don't leave sticky residue behind.
Probably something else they would include into pricing if they were to make such a change... though I'd be willing to pay, I know other folks would not.

Yen just needs to think the little things through or better yet ask the customer base.
Old 2010-04-24, 15:00   Link #163
LKK

You forget, Yen has asked the customer base. And the customer base has expressed a preference for the black sticker. Despite what we think, we are not Yen's primary customer base. The major bookstore chains are Yen's principle customer base. Yen does not sell a single book directly to any of us. All of Yen's books come from retail middlemen either a major chain, a local independent comic shop (usually through Diamond Comics), or an online retailer. It's the major chains that want the sticker. Without it, they would likely refuse to buy the books. So Yen is doing what its customers want.

By the way, books sold by the local independents may not have the black stick on it. The copy sitting in my comic book shop is without a sticker.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 04:30   Link #164
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
You forget, Yen has asked the customer base. And the customer base has expressed a preference for the black sticker. Despite what we think, we are not Yen's primary customer base. The major bookstore chains are Yen's principle customer base. Yen does not sell a single book directly to any of us. All of Yen's books come from retail middlemen either a major chain, a local independent comic shop (usually through Diamond Comics), or an online retailer. It's the major chains that want the sticker. Without it, they would likely refuse to buy the books. So Yen is doing what its customers want.

By the way, books sold by the local independents may not have the black stick on it. The copy sitting in my comic book shop is without a sticker.
You caught me there... but you know what I mean...

I reeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope that mine does not have it either. I pre-ordered mine from RS, and I've heard some people already have gotten theirs! If that is the case, I guess I'll find out when I get back home on Tuesday or Wednesday whether or not I get the stupid warning.

Last edited by Rajura; 2010-04-25 at 19:04. Reason: Baaaaaaaaad Grammar
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 09:51   Link #165
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
You caught me there... but you know what I mean...
Yeah, I did. But it's good every so often to remember just how the retail system really works. For me, it helps keep things in perspective when I get frustrated.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2010-04-25 at 21:12.
Old 2010-04-25, 19:28   Link #166
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I got my copy and was wondering about the warning label (I didn't know economics was adult material)...

...oh, loli wolf-girl nipples...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 11:49   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I got my copy and was wondering about the warning label (I didn't know economics was adult material)...

...oh, loli wolf-girl nipples...

Just a different sort of economics....
Old 2010-04-30, 08:13   Link #168
Rajura

Update, went to H'ville the other day to pick up some stuff and pay the bills... unfortunately, when I opened my box with the volume 1 in it, I found I did get the "Explicit" warning.

Hey L... what and where is the name of that shop. I may hafta talk with them about getting a copy without that warning (if it really is possible). I'll be moving to the WV really soon for residency, so I may be able to swing by and get it from them.
Old 2010-04-30, 08:44   Link #169
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Hey L... what and where is the name of that shop. I may hafta talk with them about getting a copy without that warning (if it really is possible). I'll be moving to the WV really soon for residency, so I may be able to swing by and get it from them.
World's Best Comics located in Newport News, VA. (As far as I know, they don't have an internet presence so you can't contact them that way.) Next time I'm in the shop, I'll try and remember to double-check about the warning label. I would hate for you to go to any effort only to find out I was wrong about the label.

Old 2010-05-02, 11:44   Link #170
LKK

I checked my local store last night. I was mistaken. The copy there had the warning label on it too. It was so small (compared to the ones I'm used to seeing on BL manga) that I didn't notice it the first time around. I apologize for leading everyone astray.

Old 2010-05-02, 16:07   Link #171
Rajura

's ok! I have to admit though, it woulda been nice to have a version without it. I also think it's not needed considering it already has the "M" for mature on the reverse.

Oh well, no need to beat a dead horse.

Thanks again anyway!
Old 2010-05-05, 21:04   Link #172
Rajura

Well, it's been a few days, so I don't think this counts as double posting.

This past weekend, I finally had a chance to sit down and read the first volume of the manga. I must say that I was very pleased with the English version; though as friend had pointed out to me, the alignment of the text within the "speech bubbles" on the left margin of the pages was very poor. Hopefully, they will correct this problem in subsequent volumes.

I forgot how much I liked the manga version of Holo... she is very well captured in the art and very cute.

Overall, I must say I am very pleased and hope that sales remain strong, so they will continue to produce the manga and LNs!
Old 2010-06-05, 16:04   Link #173
Rajura

Okay, this is making me look bad, since no one else has posted on this thread lately, but check this out (have to go down a ways):
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/bo...ref=bestseller

That's not too bad, let's see if the next time the lists are released it's still in the top 10. It'd be great if that is the case! Of course considering it fell to number 8 the next week (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/bo...phicbooks.html)... and has not been in the top 10 since, I doubt it will. However, it could see a resurgence in the weeks leading up to the next release!

Definitely, looking forward to Volume 2 of the manga in July, and hopefully another strong showing!
Old 2010-06-29, 22:21   Link #174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you want to follow the release schedule and news, here's the link to Yen Press for the manga adaptation:
http://yenpress.us/spice-and-wolf-manga/
Vol 1: April 2010
Vol 2: July 2010
Vol 3: November 2010
Fairly aggressive release schedule to get caught up. Go Yen Press!
Old 2010-06-30, 06:16   Link #175
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you want to follow the release schedule and news, here's the link to Yen Press for the manga adaptation:
http://yenpress.us/spice-and-wolf-manga/
Vol 1: April 2010
Vol 2: July 2010
Vol 3: November 2010
Fairly aggressive release schedule to get caught up. Go Yen Press!
I was very impressed when I had heard about that... let's just hope Vol. 2 & 3 (and of course all subsequent volumes) are high quality and don't suffer simply to "get them out in a timely manner".
Old 2010-07-22, 17:32   Link #176
Rajura

Well, I got my copy today (can't read it yet... will comment later). I'm just glad to have it!

I know Starburst's copy came in too soooooo, everyone's should be arriving soon if they have not already received it!!!!

Bring on the next one... as soon as I get to read this one!

The "WARNING" is STILL there. Book texture is more rough... printing alignment is still an issue.

BUT... IT"S HERE!!!
Old 2010-07-28, 04:28   Link #177
nsmcho

Just for your info

Japanese manga :

Volume 1 : 2008/27/3

10 months

Volume 2 : 2009/27/1

6 months

Volume 3 : 2009/27/7

8 months

Volume 4 : 2010/27/3
nsmcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 08:51   Link #178
Rajura

I'm still hoping they'll do a Western release of the Spice and Wolf Dengeki Comic Anthology.

As for my personal opinion of Vol. 2 of the manga...

1. (As I already noted) Cover is nice and is that of the original Nih. release but the texture is not as smooth as the cover of Vol. 1.

2. (Again, as I have already noted) Alignment issues with printing at times... similar to those of Vol. 1. It would appear that either Yen did this on purpose or they did not address it and did not think it important.

3. Very nice interior artwork. I do love the may she looks! Of course, it takes someone really just doing horrible job of depicting Holo for me to not like it... BUT SERIOUSLY, the art is top notch!

4. No dust jacket... just like Western release of Vol. 1 of the manga, it does not have a dust jacket, though I know that at least some of the Nih. releases had one.

5. I did not care for the panel with a drunken, GASSY Holo. She does not deserve to be depicted in such an undignified way.

6. THE SCENE before their flight from the inn IS PERFECT! The depiction really catches the essence of their relationship and what is going on the Lawrence's pea-brain (I mean that in the best way possible... he is a pea-brain when it comes to Holo, but I'd probably be the same way)!!!
Old 2010-07-28, 13:29   Link #179
nsmcho

Are the mangas faster than the novels to tell the story? I wonder if there will be 14 novels and 14 mangas.
But from what I've read on the japanese website, the manga seems slower... :/
nsmcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 16:00   Link #180
Rajura

Well, the first two only include through Holo's rescue where they first enter the underground passages.

So, if they actually tell all the stories of the novels in the manga, there will be well over 14 manga if things continue as they have thus far.

Tags
fantasy, seinen