AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-02, 17:29   Link #421
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Well, the baseball in episode 9 was OK. It didn't feel impressive, but it felt more realistic and down to earth than other baseball series. Come on, we are talking about a high school game. It should not be impressive.

However, in episode 8, when Koh called Aoba to go to the park to get her opinion on his pitch, his pitch looked awesome and I kinda expected that kinda of effect in the episode 9 as well.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 18:17   Link #422
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, I really cannot complain about the animation here, as it provides a lush view at what we've seen in the manga already. Honestly, it's not supposed to be like Basquash - this is not a flashy series, anyway. It's got a more down-to-earth tone, and the animation, while serviceable, is not really it's selling point.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 18:20   Link #423
onemadcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menshi View Post
I'm probably just spoiled having watched all 5 seasons of Major in the past month, but so far Cross Game is the worst animated sports anime I've ever seen nothing feels or looks impressive even home runs.
Cross game isn't really a sports anime. It's more of a romance disguising itself as a sports anime. I'm having much more fun with the development of the relationships. I'll be a little disappointed if they use extended games to stretch the series out to 51 episodes.
onemadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 19:18   Link #424
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemadcow View Post
Cross game isn't really a sports anime. It's more of a romance disguising itself as a sports anime. I'm having much more fun with the development of the relationships. I'll be a little disappointed if they use extended games to stretch the series out to 51 episodes.
When you look at it, this one game takes up the equivelent of about 12 chapters of manga (1.2 volumes). Just running through the manga quickly, most of the other games are considerably shorter in terms of chapter length, so I don't think you'll see that problem.

@Menshi: Cross Game's anime promo ad pretty much didn't mention baseball in it at all other than showing some footage from the first episode. They advertised it as a "Love Story". I haven't seen major yet, but I suspect that as an actual sports anime, it's "Love Story" aspect is probably about as strong as Cross Game's sports factor is.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this animated, they way they manage to slide in all the flashbacks doesn't wreak the flow of the series at all.
Old 2009-06-02, 22:06   Link #425
Menshi

Huh well I'm on Ch. 150 of the manga and the pacing is pretty good + the balance between romance/baseball is nice I'm just expressing my disappointment in the sports aspect of the anime.

I guess that's the problem with reading the manga, there's not much to look forward to besides the action and good VA's.
Menshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 23:21   Link #426
golthin

Quote:
Huh well I'm on Ch. 150 of the manga and the pacing is pretty good + the balance between romance/baseball is nice I'm just expressing my disappointment in the sports aspect of the anime.

I guess that's the problem with reading the manga, there's not much to look forward to besides the action and good VA's.
not really, the three sighs from Aoba had a much bigger impact in the anime than in the manga.
Remember, the manga medium is only visual while the anime has also audio.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 09:09   Link #427
Tatakae

Quote:
I know the manga's art isn't that great
No idea who told you that but I largely prefer his drawing style of girls like this one here or here to the ubber moe character designs so in vogue nowadays
Tatakae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 09:59   Link #428
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
No idea who told you that but I largely prefer his drawing style of girls like this one here or here to the ubber moe character designs so in vogue nowadays
he can draw pretty nice bodies for girls, as long as he hide their ears. That is the only part of his character design that i don't like.
Old 2009-06-03, 10:27   Link #429
Kirarakim

Quote:
Seconded I prefer these designs to the girls that looks like they are 5 when they are supposed to be teenagers. But well to each their own I guess.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 11:28   Link #430
Menshi

Quote:
No idea who told you that but I largely prefer his drawing style of girls like this one to the uber moe character designs so in vogue nowadays
My eyes told me that the art is very simple and generic including skipped frames during the games where you only see the aftermath and not the action itself. The character designs are pretty good though, Aoba reminds me of Maho from Beck at least in the cover art.
Menshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 14:43   Link #431
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Does anyone noticed in the intro that there a girl that looks like an older version of Waka. You can tell by their breast size that she is not the small Waka back in grade 5.
Old 2009-06-03, 16:05   Link #432
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
Does anyone noticed in the intro that there a girl that looks like an older version of Waka. You can tell by their breast size that she is not the small Waka back in grade 5.
that is a dream, it happens later on in an episode. It is what they wish that would have happened. Aoba and Kou playing a game together with Wakaba watching.
Old 2009-06-03, 16:32   Link #433
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Gee. Talk about being asexual. Too typical for main protagonists nowadays; having two cute girls in your dream and all you do is play baseball... =D
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 21:01   Link #434
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Hehehe, shounen guys for you

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 03:27   Link #435
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not really, that is a big spoiler. Please remove it.

I'm also a fan of Adachi-sensei's art. And clearly I must be seeing a different anime, as I don't really see all those skipped frames and shoody animation, here...
And I think the old man can draw some pretty nice looking girls, as well.

Old 2009-06-04, 08:35   Link #436
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I actually agree that this series is sub-par when it comes to animated movements. That said, the show didn't require any complicated movements to convey the storyline thus far. There are series that needs good animated movements to attract its audience. Cross Games isn't such show. It's quality is its story. Everything else is a bonus.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 11:17   Link #437
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I actually agree that this series is sub-par when it comes to animated movements. That said, the show didn't require any complicated movements to convey the storyline thus far. There are series that needs good animated movements to attract its audience. Cross Games isn't such show. It's quality is its story. Everything else is a bonus.
This is quite to the point, I think. Once you adjust to Adachi's art style the animation is fine for the character-driven eps. When we finally get a serious baseball ep and motion is critical, the shortcomings become much more apparent. That said, it's nowhere close to a deal-breaker for me - if the writing continues to be strong, I'm in for the long haul.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 13:42   Link #438
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
And I always like to remind people that this isn't Gundam, Macross, Mazinger-Z, Full Metal Panic or any other action show. Cross Game is very much like Touch in its action sequences. And as you've stated, the story is what Adachi aims for.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:48   Link #439
typhonsentra

People consider Cross Game a romance series? Any hints of love in this series (Outside of Wakaba/Kou in the first episode) is fairly low-key. Meanwhile the games can take anywhere between a full chapter for short games to up to 10+. It's a sports series, I can't believe someone views it as the opposite.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 18:34   Link #440
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Most Adachi stories are romance stories. The sports are mainly plot progression for the characters - and, while important, are normally not the whole point. I mean, some of his series do not even provide closure to the sports themes, at all... granted, you could say that about some of the romances as well, but they always seem more fleshed out to me.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports