AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-12-12, 04:58   Link #1
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Well, that was completely unexpected. Geez, the DS already a friggin' juggernaut and here's another well-known franchise added to its library.

See here and here for pics and a video of the conference.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 05:16   Link #2
Lebron
I hear voices

Yup the reactions at other forum's is priceless. Not to mention the other DQ:S is coming out on the Wii, its a spin off, but still DQ is crazy popular in Japan. The fact that they didn't announce anything for the PSP, PS3, or PS2 is kind of weird. So yea, that pretty much wraps up Nintendo+Japan for 2007. People thought the DS was a beast this year, psh, just wait till next year.

Last edited by Lebron; 2006-12-12 at 05:26.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 07:30   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well it makes sense. The most widespread and still biggest selling home console is the PS2, but continuing to develop games for the PS2 until well in the future makes it seem like you're not trusting the next-gen platforms. Plus while sales might be okay now, they'll plumet at some point in the future once the next-gen systems become readily available.

However for DQ9 to be released on PS3 would require much more effort and money to get it to look great on PS3, while right now the userbase is pretty bad with probably less PS3s sold in Japan than Xbox360's, which kinda tells something. Worse, due to manufacturing shortages this probably won't improve drastically in the future.

Switching to Xbox360 would have had the same problems as PS3 (and with worse future prospect). Wii might have been an option, but I suppose companies are still weary considering how popular the GameCube turned out to be.

So that leaves moving to a portable system, and with Square-Enix already having produces a number of GBA and DS titles recently, it made sense to pick the DS instead of the PSP.

I suppose more game companies are wondering "which horse to bet on", as PS3 will likely gain some success despite it's price, but at the current rate it'll take some time, Xbox360 doesn't play a role in Japan and companies might still not entirely be convinced by the Wii.

Personally I wouldn't mind of more companies that simply don't have the funds to produce PS3 quality graphics for their games switch to the Wii though. I suspect there are quite a few game companies like that out there too, like Nipponichi: can you imagine a PS3 version of Disgaea?
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 07:41   Link #4
Lebron
I hear voices

Yup it does make sense. Good Job for Nintendo winning the majority of SE support, well as it stands now.

Also the irony is that if people really want a next-gen DQ, with the graphics, and on a console. Then they will have flock to this DQ clone if you will,

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The game is getting alot of praise over in Japan, and it has the same art designer from the DQ series :P

Owell still some more positive news for Nintendo. I hate to say it but it seems like they are on track to regaining the marketshare in both console and handheld. Seems like this gen will be Graphics vs. Innovation. Pretty much the raw graphic powers of the 360, and PS3 vs the Innovation of the DS, and the Wii.

Should be interesting

Last edited by Lebron; 2006-12-12 at 07:53.
Old 2006-12-12, 13:39   Link #5
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
Awesome...

I'm still not sure about my feelings concerning 3d graphics on the ds. My favorites there are all 2d: Castlevania, Advance Wars, Phoenix Wright, Kirby Canvass, etc.

Typically, if I want a 3d handheld game, I turn to the PSP, which is much more capable in that respect. And from what I can tell, FFIII doesn't look that impressive (besides FMVs). I dunno. But with Level 5 making it, it'll definitely be polished.
Old 2006-12-12, 13:46   Link #6
G005

Quote:
Also the irony is that if people really want a next-gen DQ, with the graphics, and on a console. Then they will have flock to this DQ clone if you will
Not really. From everything I've seen so far, Blue Dragon doesn't play or feel anything like a Dragon Quest game (it's like a simplified, light-hearted Final Fantasy with Toriyama stylings. No DQ atmosphere or form whatsoever), despite the use of the same character illustrator. It's kinda like labeling DBZ: Budokai as a Tobal 2 clone (artwork looks very similar, both Toriyama again) when the gameplay mechanics are completely different.
G005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 14:28   Link #7
Lebron
I hear voices

Yup, you can't go wrong with level 5. I'm sure the game will own. Heck just look at what they did for FF3 on the DS

@G005

Yea thats what I've been hearing. Its more like an old school FF game with some improvements, job class system ftw!

Last edited by Lebron; 2006-12-12 at 14:42.
Old 2006-12-12, 14:35   Link #8
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

With DQ 9 going on DS and DQ Swords for Wii, I hope DQ 10 goes on Wii as well. I enjoyed DQ 8 a lot, and DQ 10 going on Wii is certainly a possibility. If two things happen (1) Wii continues to sell well in Japan in 2007 and 2) DQ Swords for Wii sells well), this will help make DQ 10 for the Wii all the more likely.

Now, I need a DS. So many good games!
Old 2006-12-12, 15:43   Link #9
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
Yup it does make sense. Good Job for Nintendo winning the majority of SE support, well as it stands now.

Also the irony is that if people really want a next-gen DQ, with the graphics, and on a console. Then they will have flock to this DQ clone if you will,

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The game is getting alot of praise over in Japan, and it has the same art designer from the DQ series :P

Owell still some more positive news for Nintendo. I hate to say it but it seems like they are on track to regaining the marketshare in both console and handheld. Seems like this gen will be Graphics vs. Innovation. Pretty much the raw graphic powers of the 360, and PS3 vs the Innovation of the DS, and the Wii.

Should be interesting
ROFL@TORIYAMA
I just noticed the similarity between the Blue Dragon radar and the Dragonball radar.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 06:35   Link #10
ntsan

Btw check out their new awesome trailer for DQIX
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8038
ntsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 08:22   Link #11
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

YouTube is better:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0smdaQL6Mlg
Old 2009-06-16, 16:49   Link #12
Narona
Emotionless White Face

New awesome promotional vidéo

The wait will be long before an european release...
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 17:05   Link #13
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

*insert necromancy joke here*
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 17:13   Link #14
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
More like a resurrection, seeing as how the game is still not out yet...
Old 2009-06-16, 17:18   Link #15
Shadow Kira01

Looks cool..

The character customization part is the best of the entire game..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 07:39   Link #16
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Meanie! It's not my fault if the animesuki people are not interested in the best RPG of the year
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 14:02   Link #17
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

all we need now is a story as great as DQ V
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 19:33   Link #18
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Wow, i thought this game was never going to be released by this time. I remember that when it was first announced, i said to myself "i can't wait to get this game" and now, today, waiting is the only thing i did it. Damn you, Square.

But watching that video, all the hype came back. It creation of the characters looks really nice, the graphics are great for the ds and i liked that field style, it reminds me of chrono trigger. This game will be awesome.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 07:38   Link #19
Knowledge Seeker
Student/Lurker

I almost shed a tear while watching the new video. I'm a HUGE fan of DQ8, and it looks a lot like the gem (DQ8) I played two years ago. The environment looks so vast, and it looks like the player can do so many things. If I can rack up to 60 hours of gameplay on it, I would be happy.

I can see why this took so long; and Level 5 often doesn't disappoint. I'll definitely pick this up.
Knowledge Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:11   Link #20
Kurai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Well it makes sense. The most widespread and still biggest selling home console is the PS2, but continuing to develop games for the PS2 until well in the future makes it seem like you're not trusting the next-gen platforms. Plus while sales might be okay now, they'll plumet at some point in the future once the next-gen systems become readily available.

However for DQ9 to be released on PS3 would require much more effort and money to get it to look great on PS3, while right now the userbase is pretty bad with probably less PS3s sold in Japan than Xbox360's, which kinda tells something. Worse, due to manufacturing shortages this probably won't improve drastically in the future.

Switching to Xbox360 would have had the same problems as PS3 (and with worse future prospect). Wii might have been an option, but I suppose companies are still weary considering how popular the GameCube turned out to be.

So that leaves moving to a portable system, and with Square-Enix already having produces a number of GBA and DS titles recently, it made sense to pick the DS instead of the PSP.

I suppose more game companies are wondering "which horse to bet on", as PS3 will likely gain some success despite it's price, but at the current rate it'll take some time, Xbox360 doesn't play a role in Japan and companies might still not entirely be convinced by the Wii.

Personally I wouldn't mind of more companies that simply don't have the funds to produce PS3 quality graphics for their games switch to the Wii though. I suspect there are quite a few game companies like that out there too, like Nipponichi: can you imagine a PS3 version of Disgaea?

Square Enix have been releasing several 360 exclusive games, and have changed FF13 to 360 and PS3 instead of PS3 exclusive. They are trying to broaden their audience I think. Also, Dragon Quest X will be released on the Wii. This way, Square Enix will have games on all systems, and thus they will rake in the cash. You can't make a Wii game play the same way a 360 or PS3 game would, after all.
Kurai~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo ds, rpg, square enix