AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-29, 22:48   Link #161
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I see this in Mon Colle Knights.
Old 2012-04-20, 06:20   Link #162
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

well i hate this when it happens, it makes me sad

j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 06:25   Link #163
HasuMasu
*Artist

I say there's never a good reason to hate something.
Old 2012-04-20, 13:21   Link #164
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

I think the only thing that irks me about most anime especially romance anime is the whole shy male character overload, it happens waaaaay to often.
Old 2012-04-20, 20:14   Link #165
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0x View Post
well i hate this when it happens, it makes me sad

I am PLAGUED with this.
Old 2012-04-20, 20:47   Link #166
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

This thread is back. Great. Here's some that I've realized I hated over the past few months:

Depthless Badass Characters: You know how people hate wimps and want badass characters instead. I like it that way too, but if there's one badass character that is worse than a wimpy loser, it's these guys. I DESPISE badass characters who don't have any depth to them whatsoever. They're just badass for the sake of being badass and that's it. We don't know anything about them but that they kill in cold blood, have pretty faces, and treat their enemies with smugness so unlikeable that I want to cave their face in. Hey, how about showing them interact with some kids, why don't you?

Yuuji Everyleads: In case you haven't seen aniblogs that have used this term, these are basically everyday characters without any depth with the character coining this term being Yuuji Sakai from Shakugan No Shana. I really hate these guys because they're just...there. That's it. I barely remember they exist. They are completely useless to the show, except to make a character we can identify with. And isn't that a big insult to my face.

And by the way, if a loser character does not have his/her loser status handled correctly, he/she will fall into the above category as well.

Pretentious Drama: There are not many anime dramas that I like, because they always come off as being overly pretentious to me, and the drama feels like it's the star of the show rather than the characters themselves. Of all the things that anime can make stupid and get away with, drama is not one of them.

Bullies: Yeah, I said this before, but I deleted that post, so I'll say it here. Bullies are the worst characters you can ever put in an anime. The conflict is lame, there designs have no thought put in them, many bad cliches spawn from them, and they're sooooooo boring. How about making an anime with a bully as the main character for a change? Or making them freaking funny?!

Sexist Females who aren't funny: Speaking of not being funny, Yami from To-Love-Ru is quite possibly one of the most detestable characters I have ever seen because she's a sexist tool who fails to make me laugh. And so is every other female who falls under this category. I despise them all due to how mean-spirited they are, and to make matters worse, I can't think of a single sexist female who was funny in anime (maybe Hinoe from Natsume's Book of Friends, but she's not that sexist). I think the only one I liked was that man-hating teacher from Daria, and that's Western Animation.

Yes, I have seen some sexist males in anime, but some of them are funny, and the ones who aren't are put in the bully category.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 02:41   Link #167
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Yuuji Everyleads:
They are completely useless to the show, except to make a character we can identify with. And isn't that a big insult to my face.
Oh boy, you nailed my feelings right there.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 04:55   Link #168
Ossirian

Whenever the main character helps somehow the stereotypical lonely character, and then, this one proceeds to ask him "Shall we be friends?". I know it's said in order to increase his/her awkwardness, but I just can't stand this. If people get along for a long time, they usually begin to treat each other as friends without asking... you know... you don't need to ask the other for that; just flows naturally.

Only in one anime the character actually answered this question in a real way; something like: "If you ask me that, then we cannot be friends yet". That answer pleased me greatly, but I can't recall neither the anime, nor the character.

Ps. If the anime is a comedy one (v. gr. 4-koma), then I don't mind, because it's used as a gag to make me feel like "wow, this guy is really awkard". But if the show pretends to be real, then I feel sadness.
Ossirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 04:56   Link #169
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Yuuji Everyleads: In case you haven't seen aniblogs that have used this term, these are basically everyday characters without any depth with the character coining this term being Yuuji Sakai from Shakugan No Shana. I really hate these guys because they're just...there. That's it. I barely remember they exist. They are completely useless to the show, except to make a character we can identify with. And isn't that a big insult to my face.

[...]

Sexist Females who aren't funny: Speaking of not being funny, Yami from To-Love-Ru is quite possibly one of the most detestable characters I have ever seen because she's a sexist tool who fails to make me laugh. And so is every other female who falls under this category. I despise them all due to how mean-spirited they are, and to make matters worse, I can't think of a single sexist female who was funny in anime (maybe Hinoe from Natsume's Book of Friends, but she's not that sexist). I think the only one I liked was that man-hating teacher from Daria, and that's Western Animation.

Yes, I have seen some sexist males in anime, but some of them are funny, and the ones who aren't are put in the bully category.
Yes. To-Love-Ru (manga, haven't seen the anime) is the perfect example of anime clichés.

But aside from that, shows like To-Love-Ru have many tropes that contradict themselves.

Because of "Double Standards" the shows uses "Violence is OK, if it's female to male", as it would be "far too dangerous to show a male person be violent on a female, because that could not possibly be played for laughts".
To me that is BS, because EVERY damn girl in the show is stronger than the protagonist and additionally an alien.
And no, the slapstick comedy in that show is not funny.

Well this is not the only romantic comedy/ harem, that follows this absurd way of thinking.

That however was just a smaller picture. While this absurd behaviour can be seen in many shonen anime/manga, the same thing, but reverted, happens in shojo anime/manga... the girl usually gets pushed around psychologically by the male lead and that usually does not change until the end.
With that in mind i can only come to the conclusion, that all 1st main characters from any show, be it female or male, are the weak willed ones, that are pushed around by the 2nd character.

And since we are supposed to identify with the 1st main character, do manga artists/ anime studios view all their customers as masochists now?
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 11:53   Link #170
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
With that in mind i can only come to the conclusion, that all 1st main characters from any show, be it female or male, are the weak willed ones, that are pushed around by the 2nd character.
I'm sorry but that is extremely false.

"All" first main characters? Really? ALL!?

Please watch more anime, thanx.
Old 2012-04-21, 12:59   Link #171
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

*sigh* that was hyperbole, but never mind that... I meant MOST anime/mangas

Instead, maybe you give some examples, that could deny my claim? The truth is I actually hope I am wrong... because otherwise the situation is just too sad.
Old 2012-04-21, 12:59   Link #172
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I'm sorry but that is extremely false.

"All" first main characters? Really? ALL!?

Please watch more anime, thanx.
There's loads and loads of anime when the first protagonist is strong !!
(Maybe you (GreyZone) haven't watched any anime about a extremely strong protagonist)
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 13:35   Link #173
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
There's loads and loads of anime when the first protagonist is strong !!
(Maybe you haven't watched any anime about a extremely strong protagonist)
I was primarily talking about the romance/harem/comedy type of anime/manga, guess I should have said that, sorry

But of course there are good examples of good MCs, like Death Note and Code Geass.

another one i found interesting in that aspect was Kaze no Stigma.

but for most shonen altogether my problem is not the MCs "strenght" in his usual fights against villains etc, but how he in most cases "becomes the bi**h of the heroine", and that this can not be done with switched roles, because it would be "unmorally" and "sexistic"... BS... when they do slapstick comedy, they should either do it both ways, or just leave it out completly...

Last edited by GreyZone; 2012-04-21 at 13:49.
Old 2012-04-21, 15:22   Link #174
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
another one i found interesting in that aspect was Kaze no Stigma.

but for most shonen altogether my problem is not the MCs "strenght" in his usual fights against villains etc, but how he in most cases "becomes the bi**h of the heroine", and that this can not be done with switched roles, because it would be "unmorally" and "sexistic"... BS... when they do slapstick comedy, they should either do it both ways, or just leave it out completly...
As bad as those "bitches" are, I preferred them to the Kaze No Stigma guy. Depthless badass character, he is (and the attempts to make him sympathetic fell flat), to the point that I want to cave his face in with a shovel.

Old 2012-04-21, 16:09   Link #175
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
As bad as those "bitches" are, I preferred them to the Kaze No Stigma guy. Depthless badass character, he is (and the attempts to make him sympathetic fell flat), to the point that I want to cave his face in with a shovel.
Well, to be honest I didn't really like the character himself, but instead only found the "idea", to even create a character with his traits, interesting. But I also didn't like him (aside from a few moments).

But while the characters in many animes are a real problem for me, what i see people writing in some forums sounds even worse...
First i thought they have the same opinion as me, when they said they "don't want such a pussy character", but then i realized that most of them only ment that the MC didn't chose his final love interest and is indecisive. It shocked me when that was their only concern.

Later I've read posts in which people complain why a MC always/mostly rejects the girl's/girls' kiss, or sometimes even "attempted rapes" and, because of that, they call him gay.
Whenever i read that I really have to think "what is wrong with these people posting that". To me it sounds as if they would immediately have sex with anyone, who is "cute" or "pretty" to them, and wants it too.

But of course they did not mention with any word, that in these animes, the MC is often treated like shit by the girls.
Old 2012-04-21, 16:23   Link #176
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
We are brother's in arms He was introduced like a boss and then fell flat(or rather was flat from the get go). Actually didn't like the entire show altogether, especially that conceited, bitch female lead.
Well I don't know if this classifies but lately I've come to strongly dislike high school settings in anime. 90% of the time its the thing over and over. I understand that high school has nostalgia attached to it but its gotten too much for my liking lately.
Old 2012-04-21, 18:58   Link #177
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Later I've read posts in which people complain why a MC always/mostly rejects the girl's/girls' kiss, or sometimes even "attempted rapes" and, because of that, they call him gay.
I always laugh when somebody posts that stuff. How can anyone take that seriously? It's too stupid.

And as I've said before, I don't mind pussy characters as much as other people do. But they have to be one of two categories: the guy who grows from experience (without anything being handed to him) or the guy who gets gifts handed to him, and his life becomes worse because he's a loser who can't handle it. Above all else, their loser status has to mean something. They can't just be a loser solely for character development.

Old 2012-04-21, 19:49   Link #178
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Unrequited love. It really kills me when 'person C'(usually a long time or childhood friend) likes 'main char A', but A doesn't even look at C in that way whatsoever. Then 'opposite gender char B' comes in out of nowhere, and A immediately falls smitten with B, even though, from the story's perspective, C is just as pretty as B. I'm not looking for A to ultimately date/go out/etc with C, just show that C is pretty and someone who A can fall for, even if A likes B more. Perfect example is AnoHana. From the outset, we know Jinta loved/loves Menma, but there are still moments when Jinta is attracted to Anaru(not just physically either).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 19:54   Link #179
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Yea i understand that... the premise of 90% of all harem animes is like that...
Old 2012-04-21, 19:59   Link #180
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I like that cliche as long as it's handled maturely. When it's not...hoo boy.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad