AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-08-28, 01:31   Link #81
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Batman is the western Doraemon.

As in, "my belt has everything in it, for practically every possible purpose, regardless of the fact the content would be far more mass than available in these pouches"

If his belt had a name, it'd be called D.E.M
Old 2012-08-28, 01:41   Link #82
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That also depends on the writer. Usually he only has what he needs on that belt with maybe one or two specialty items for whatever case he is on. (bateranges (multiple, but I think it is usually six), cables (usually two), smoke bombs (three sets I think), detective kit (listening devices, finger print kit, those sorts of things), mini gas mask, and after encountering Superman, a tiny piece of kryptonite.)

However he has everything else he might need in the batcave (or in some versions, mini-Batstashes all over Gotham and some other cities he might frequent or have Wayne Enterprises established already. Those tend to be of the campy variant).
Old 2012-08-28, 09:51   Link #83
GDB

They established the mini-bat stashes as being canon in Nightwing, when he has to use them to rest.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 17:40   Link #84
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I'm always going to Wonder if Nolan's Batman and this Superman could exist in the same universe. Well, I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, but if it's really good I'll even wonder about that question more. I don't think we need these guys to be in the same universe, but I think it would be cool to have a Batman/Superman movie. I think the idea is much more plausible than a JLA film at least. Having them work together and making it believable would be the hard part.

Can we at least get a Wonder Woman movie...please?
DC needs to improve their marketability by focusing on more than just Batman and Superman. It's as though they're afraid to give their other characters exposure, which is unfortunate seeing as how DC has a vast wealth of excellent characters that sadly go unnoticed and remain obscure.
Old 2013-05-23, 17:54   Link #85
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Green Lantern I'm told was terrible.

However they do need to expand out a bit if they want to go Justice League on the big screen.
Old 2013-05-23, 18:01   Link #86
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Aquaman!
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 18:13   Link #87
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well Green Lantern I'm told was terrible.
You can blame the weak script for that. I personally thought the movie's technical department is superb.
Old 2013-05-23, 18:15   Link #88
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
DC needs to improve their marketability by focusing on more than just Batman and Superman. It's as though they're afraid to give their other characters exposure, which is unfortunate seeing as how DC has a vast wealth of excellent characters that sadly go unnoticed and remain obscure.
The Flash might be able to carry a film by himself, Wonder Woman if told right definitely can (though it is a very risky venture). Martian Manhunter? No. Aquaman? No. Atom, Red Tornado, Vixen, Black Lightning, Hawkgirl/Man, etc? No. Cyborg? ...Maybe. Green Lantern would have been much better if they kept the film focused on a space cop story. You can add Green Arrow, but only if you add the CWs Arrow .

All of these characters and more have had interesting and compelling stories, but the likelihood of a large audience being interested in their stories is very small.

Frankly, this is also a problem for DC in general. There are some great characters in their pantheon, whether Justice League or other, but none of them have the star power that Superman or Batman (or Wonder Woman, Supergirl and a few others) do. While Marvel has been bending over backwards to expand their entire continuum into new mediums (really pushing certain characters into the spotlight in new and unique ways), DC has been sticking with tried and true characters and has seldom gone out of their way to uplift older characters into bigger roles than they are used to.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 18:17   Link #89
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Aquaman!
Most people only know the superfriends Aquaman which was an absolute joke that has given the character a bad name. However, his reputation has improved over recent years, and fans of the comics know he's a badass with a rich history. Has anyone here seen the Justice League/Unlimited series? Now that is an awesome Aquaman.
Old 2013-05-23, 18:21   Link #90
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Frankly, this is also a problem for DC in general. There are some great characters in their pantheon, whether Justice League or other, but none of them have the star power that Superman or Batman (or Wonder Woman, Supergirl and a few others) do. While Marvel has been bending over backwards to expand their entire continuum into new mediums (really pushing certain characters into the spotlight in new and unique ways), DC has been sticking with tried and true characters and has seldom gone out of their way to uplift older characters into bigger roles than they are used to.
It's proving to be a success for Marvel, so why can't DC follow suit? They especially need to start doing films featuring the other Justice League members before doing the Justice League film itself. That way people will have developed a familiarity and attachment to the characters beforehand, just like what Marvel did for the Avengers movie.
Old 2013-05-23, 18:21   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Most people only know the superfriends Aquaman which was an absolute joke that has given the character a bad name. However, his reputation has improved over recent years, and fans of the comics know he's a badass with a rich history. Has anyone here seen the Justice League/Unlimited series? Now that is an awesome Aquaman.
Or a very forgettable one, because I've seen them, and I don't remember him in them...
Old 2013-05-23, 18:23   Link #92
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Or a very forgettable one, because I've seen them, and I don't remember him in them...
You don't remember Aquaman in the JL cartoon series? Did you watch the episodes where he made appearances? Pretty much everyone that's seen that Aquaman loved him.
Old 2013-05-23, 18:29   Link #93
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The "Justice League" and "Brave and the Bold" Aquamans were pretty good. In different ways. JL and JLU version was a badass who tended towards grimdark territory. He was always super serious. He wasn't in a lot of episodes since he's pretty much only in the episodes to save his family or Atlantis. Or paying honor debts.

The "Batman: Brave and the Bold" Aquaman on the other hand was a Giant Ham Badass. He was so over the top he became awesome. If you needed brawn, and Superman wasn't around, grab Aquaman. But be prepared for over the top monologuing and meaningless heroic speeches....while punching people. His speech pattern is very 1960s superhero ("good work chum")
Old 2013-05-23, 19:16   Link #94
GDB

Quote:
Alex Ross's JUSTICE version is my favorite. He's basically a noble version of Wolverine with a trident instead of claws. He even regenerated from a lobotomy.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 01:23   Link #95
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Right, but if they aren't going to experiment with other characters, then the best they could do is at least consider a Batman/Superman film.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 01:25   Link #96
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The Flash might be able to carry a film by himself, Wonder Woman if told right definitely can (though it is a very risky venture). Martian Manhunter? No. Aquaman? No. Atom, Red Tornado, Vixen, Black Lightning, Hawkgirl/Man, etc? No. Cyborg? ...Maybe. Green Lantern would have been much better if they kept the film focused on a space cop story. You can add Green Arrow, but only if you add the CWs Arrow .

All of these characters and more have had interesting and compelling stories, but the likelihood of a large audience being interested in their stories is very small.

I disagree. Before Iron Man came to the big screen, no one really either knew him or cared about him. He really wasn't in the public image as a big time character. Now he's arguably Marvel's most notable. Everyone knows who Iron Man is now. Any character can work if you have the right team telling the right story.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 04:22   Link #97
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You also don't need a movie for every member. Three or four would be more than sufficient.
Old 2013-05-24, 07:07   Link #98
HasuMasu
*Artist

I'd rather they just do Batman and Superman, obscure characters are great and all but I don't think their place is on the big screen...at least not in live-action form.
Old 2013-05-24, 08:16   Link #99
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
I'd rather they just do Batman and Superman, obscure characters are great and all but I don't think their place is on the big screen...at least not in live-action form.
There was a time when I don't know who Tony Stark was. Any major character can be a star in a film, you just had to be prepared to put in the hard work.

At the very least, I want them to try a Wonderwoman. If only because she is both famous AND the hardest to adapt to the film. Even in the comics, DC has trouble keeping her origin story straight.

A well done WW movie would deserve praise from the difficulty alone.
Old 2013-05-24, 08:22   Link #100
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Guys, I think some of the most recent comments here should be moved to the already-existing JLA movie thread.

Shouldn't we get back to the main topic (Superman/Man of Steel)?