AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-13, 04:11   Link #221
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

In my honest opinion, while I think a lot of the new content is great, I think it still has a lot of balance problems and AI issues. When I say the AI is dumb, I didn't mean just the survivors AI. The enemy AI also tends to be pretty dumb as well, and hardly a challenge if your team knows how to stay together and simply rush through. I did it several times on Expert with a few exceptions which, in my opinion, shouldn't even be possible.

Overall, what I was trying to get at, and failed to mention it in thi particular manner, was that it seems more like an expansion pack and not really a full sequel (new enemies, new guns, new weapons), since gameplay-wise, it is still almost exactly the same. I can justify this because the things that annoyed me about L4D 1 I didn't feel were properly addressed. If I complain about them, then certainly I'm not the only one, because I know people complained about the same things I am now in L4D 1. Not to mention it still uses the exact same engine. It just has better graphics this time.

I'm missing the "wow" factor that I was expecting, and everyone seems to be overhyping about. Sure, it LOOKS better, but it plays almost exactly the same, unless you did what I did a couple games and tried to do melee-only. Which typically fails, but is good for laughs. I actually got to the middle of the hedge-row area but I died when I tried to cr0wn a wandering witch with my machete. Catastrophic (though expected) fail. Though it is fun, I still can't see myself buying it for the full price. If I get news about major issues fixed, then I would be more than happy to. But as is, I'll probably end up waiting a while til the price drops.
Old 2009-11-13, 07:47   Link #222
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
1. Most of the games you mentioned are deathmatch games, as so obviously they cannot be played offline, that would defeat the purpose of the game.
2. There are lots of successful offline MMO like games, take Diablo or even the newer borderlands as an example. But again MMOs ala WoW wouldn't make any sense offline.
3. Many multiplayer games offer bot support, if you want a good example checkout Quake wars with possibly the best bot AI. So why can't other games have it?
4. Notice how all the deathmatch games have no context/ storyline etc, Isn't L4D inviting you to play it offline at the very least?
5. Fighting games do have offline gameplay, many offer a strong single player like Tekken. Fighting games also originate from single player.

Obviously we are taking in generalisations here, but in the context of L4D, I see it as a viable single player experience.
If there are exceptions you simply shouldn't have said "a game" as in "all games".

And while those singleplayer you list possibilites do exist, for me they aren't a viable option to enjoy the game. If I temporarily don't have the option to play with my friends or other people on the net, instead of fighting bots in a game clearly designed for multiplayer I'd rather play something with a full-fleshed singleplayer-experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
In my honest opinion, while I think a lot of the new content is great, I think it still has a lot of balance problems and AI issues. When I say the AI is dumb, I didn't mean just the survivors AI. The enemy AI also tends to be pretty dumb as well, and hardly a challenge if your team knows how to stay together and simply rush through. I did it several times on Expert with a few exceptions which, in my opinion, shouldn't even be possible.

Overall, what I was trying to get at, and failed to mention it in thi particular manner, was that it seems more like an expansion pack and not really a full sequel (new enemies, new guns, new weapons), since gameplay-wise, it is still almost exactly the same. I can justify this because the things that annoyed me about L4D 1 I didn't feel were properly addressed. If I complain about them, then certainly I'm not the only one, because I know people complained about the same things I am now in L4D 1. Not to mention it still uses the exact same engine. It just has better graphics this time.

I'm missing the "wow" factor that I was expecting, and everyone seems to be overhyping about. Sure, it LOOKS better, but it plays almost exactly the same, unless you did what I did a couple games and tried to do melee-only. Which typically fails, but is good for laughs. I actually got to the middle of the hedge-row area but I died when I tried to cr0wn a wandering witch with my machete. Catastrophic (though expected) fail. Though it is fun, I still can't see myself buying it for the full price. If I get news about major issues fixed, then I would be more than happy to. But as is, I'll probably end up waiting a while til the price drops.
That's a valid point there, the AI of the SI is indeed still quite horrible and does possibly detract from the campaign-experience. I don't really mind since I only play Versus but I see how it would affect people who prefer to play campaign. But it might get balanced out by realism mode, I imagine no outlines + less damage on bodyshots to be more of an upgrade to difficulty than one might initially think.

What I don't understand is your second paragraph. Though I fully disagree, I won't argue with you if you think it doesn't warrant a sequel, that's for you to decide. But unlike you I feel that all the annoyances of L4D1 are being adressed in L4D2: If you don't have time for the sometimes very long Versus-matches you can play a few rounds of scavenger, any kind of corner-camping will be eliminated by the charger and the spitter, lack of variety in both survivor and infected play is adressed by more weapons/tools and more SI, crescendos are no longer boring events where everyone just points his shotgun at the only entrance to a small room.
What exactly are thinking about when you say that there are unadressed issues?
Old 2009-11-13, 10:38   Link #223
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Anyone ever want to take into consideration that there are people out there that don't have the option to play online and can only play offline but still want an enjoyable gaming experience?

Yeah, welcome to the idea of "single player development"...Just because there are a lot of people that can doesn't mean there are a lot of others who just can't...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 12:36   Link #224
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , we didn't talk about something that should bother you long times ago .

In your opinion , why the witch is crying ?

My opinion , she lost her pet ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 13:12   Link #225
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post

I think she is crying because the hunter dumped her to focus on his pouncing career

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 14:06   Link #226
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
She's crying because of Bill, who happened to not only mortally dump her, but his love for pills was greater anyway...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-11-14, 03:56   Link #227
Alchemist007
*Author

My friend who at first was like "I don't care much for it" finally came around and realized how fun it is with people. Hopefully convinced him to buy it so we can play online
Old 2009-11-14, 06:54   Link #228
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah , its very fun with friend
My fav characters in the first is Louis ! He's hilarious ^^ i like his voice XD
In the second , its Nick , he's cool . "Hold up coach, maybe the chopper...... maybe he's made of chocolate" lol
Old 2009-11-14, 15:04   Link #229
mana-past
Mana of Heaven.

Quote:

I have a feeling she was a prostitute, who found out she was ugly when she was infected, and that no one wanted her because she's too damn ugly.
mana-past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 17:34   Link #230
Alchemist007
*Author

The special zombies before the infection:
Spoiler:

Spoiler for random:
Old 2009-11-14, 19:39   Link #231
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
The special zombies before the infection:
Spoiler:

Rofl good one , i didn't know this one XD its hilarious ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Spoiler for random:
I knew this one . Yum Yum !
Old 2009-11-14, 21:09   Link #232
TigerII
Pilot in Training

The special infected strip needs to be updated to add Jockey, Spitter, and Charger.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 16:50   Link #233
Alchemist007
*Author

I guess this would belong in the vids section but its all L4D/2 hilarity

Spoiler:
Old 2009-11-17, 15:51   Link #234
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Well, continuing on with pills videos, I posted this earlier, but an embedding is worth seeing Louis and Bill have a pills orgasm again

Spoiler:

And pills makes Louis do weird things

Spoiler:
Old 2009-11-17, 16:46   Link #235
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I already watched L4D 1 videos but L4D 2 omg XD Louis come back for his pills Coach => Chocolate lol

Well , anyone already played the full L4D 2? its out since this morning .

I played the firsts campaign , Dead Center and Dark Carnival . Very good campaigns specially Dark Carnival .

Spoiler for Dead Center Ending:

Spoiler for Dark Carnival Ending:

Well , its very good , more amazing than the first and it moves a lot , you don't feel bored .

I'm only dissapointed , for some servers , who can crash the game , and others servers who lags ! And , too much weapons and items ! Well you'll see ...

See ya !
Old 2009-11-17, 16:48   Link #236
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

lol @ http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=52284105
Old 2009-11-17, 17:43   Link #237
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Seems he's one of the people who still boycott the game even if its already released.
His words have no credibility sorry . He can be mad whenever he wants . I don't care
Old 2009-11-18, 02:19   Link #238
Alchemist007
*Author

l4d2 is VERY f***ing hard on expert compared to l4d1, on certain levels especially because they're so long now, takes 2 hrs to beat a campaign on average. And that's not considering the millions of retrys.
Old 2009-11-18, 07:43   Link #239
EoT
~~

Very fun game

I love the new infected. They make levels a lot more interesting especially levels where you can push people off edges.

I also like how you can't really hide in a corner anymore together to fight a horde and how horde's come more frequently than before!
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 08:51   Link #240
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
The new versus is absolutely frenetic, intense, hard and brilliant. Effective attacks really hurt now and pretty much any combination involving the spitter can really rip a team apart. And all the new infected are useful and fun to use.

Level-design is great, the new weapons are great, melee weapons are vicious (and actually useful!). Overall it feels very different from the first L4D and improved on every single aspect of a game I already loved.
L4D2 will keep me entertained for a long, long time.

Tags
fps, valve, windows, xbox360, zombie