AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-03-28, 07:41   Link #621
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Quote:
The FBI Academy using the tech to develop a virtual multiplayer crime scene in which its agents can carry out training simulations
CSI: The MMO?

Technically not, but imagine if normal gamers can log-in...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 21:53   Link #622
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Nuclear fusion research looking rather promising...

If we can figure out how to make this work, the energy problem will cease to be a problem, and it will open all sorts of new opportunities...

You can ship anyone you want, but I'll keep steaming around on the deuterium+tritium ship! </verybadpun>
Old 2012-03-28, 22:16   Link #623
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Nuclear fusion research looking rather promising...

If we can figure out how to make this work, the energy problem will cease to be a problem, and it will open all sorts of new opportunities...

You can ship anyone you want, but I'll keep steaming around on the deuterium+tritium ship! </verybadpun>
Please don't make my iron-ore contracts worthless.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 03:01   Link #624
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You still need to build the ship out of something.
Old 2012-03-29, 12:17   Link #625
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

National Highway Transportation Safety Agency Says You Can Keep Your GPS -- As Long As It's Completely Useless

So I guess they want us to regress technology now?
Old 2012-03-29, 12:22   Link #626
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Chicken Little Syndrome... the sky is always falling for some people.
Old 2012-03-29, 13:27   Link #627
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Basically they are following Aviation regulatios. A GPS is a fine thing to have....but you still need to look out the window to make sure you aren't about to run into a mountain or another airplane.

Along the same vain, a GPS is fine and it can tell you directions and stuff...but you still need to watch the road to evade other cars, or see pedestrians...squirrels...road blocks. Those sorts of things. You can't do that if you watch the GPS the entire time.

There recommende changes are impractical, however. While on a large scale map of say a county, having the car move and the map not would be fine...in city driving where you are on the block by block scale to figure out which street to turn...it is not. It takes less time to see where you need to turn if your car is always centered and pointing in your direction of travel that to try to figure our which way is left when you are pointing southeast in the bottom corner of the map.

The funny voices might be distracting. Never used one that wasn't a default. The Yoda one...or BRIAN BLESSED, might be distracting.
Old 2012-03-29, 13:52   Link #628
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I seriously would pay money for a GPS that called out directions with the voice of BRIAN BLESSED.
Old 2012-03-29, 14:07   Link #629
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Well, my GPS is completely useless, so I guess I'm a-okay by their standards?

(Two hour drive, it was able to connect for all of 14 seconds. Luckily I was able to read what exit I needed before it lost all connections again.)
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 13:31   Link #630
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I seriously would pay money for a GPS that called out directions with the voice of BRIAN BLESSED.

And yes, his voice is now (well, has been for a while now) commercially available on TomTom devices.

Also, to add some more Tech News:

LG begins mass-production of flexible plastic E-ink displays

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 01:54   Link #631
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Basically they are following Aviation regulatios. A GPS is a fine thing to have....but you still need to look out the window to make sure you aren't about to run into a mountain or another airplane.

Along the same vain, a GPS is fine and it can tell you directions and stuff...but you still need to watch the road to evade other cars, or see pedestrians...squirrels...road blocks. Those sorts of things. You can't do that if you watch the GPS the entire time.

There recommende changes are impractical, however. While on a large scale map of say a county, having the car move and the map not would be fine...in city driving where you are on the block by block scale to figure out which street to turn...it is not. It takes less time to see where you need to turn if your car is always centered and pointing in your direction of travel that to try to figure our which way is left when you are pointing southeast in the bottom corner of the map.

The funny voices might be distracting. Never used one that wasn't a default. The Yoda one...or BRIAN BLESSED, might be distracting.
Personally, I still want one that uses the voice of Rie Kugimiya in the mode of "I'm only helping you because I had nothing else to do!"

But 'point of view' map rendering or alternate 'north fixed' maps are both essential. Dammit, how about taking the incompetent drivers off the road?
Old 2012-04-01, 04:13   Link #632
Pokaru

Quote:
Also, to add some more Tech News:

LG begins mass-production of flexible plastic E-ink displays
Quite interesting, even LG has joined this race. But did they say next month? I'm a bit surprised.
Pokaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 04:41   Link #633
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I still want one that uses the voice of Rie Kugimiya in the mode of "I'm only helping you because I had nothing else to do!"
Vexx.....you are mentally broken....

Quote:
But 'point of view' map rendering or alternate 'north fixed' maps are both essential. Dammit, how about taking the incompetent drivers off the road?
Link the GPS system to the engine block and brakes. When the driver attempts to turn the wrong direction at the wrong time, shut the whole car down.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-01, 04:58   Link #634
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Just give us heads-up displays already.
Give them a standard interface like hdmi for plugging in a 3rd party nav and everyone is happy.

The black box car electronic systems with no room for modular upgrades are the real problem. It's just stupid that you have to put the nav on your windshield and have cables run all over the place. Meanwhile the car's built in system are obsolete after 2 years.
Instead you should be able to plug these things into standard ports (say 2.5" cartridge slots) and have them feed into your dashboard.
Phones should be able to access the car's audio system as a "headset device".
Why does the nav have to figure out the car's speed over gps, when the car knows exactly how fast it's going? Just link it to the nav and improve navigation ten fold.
And so on...
These things would already exist, if car makers would offer open standard interfaces.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 05:49   Link #635
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Interesting, but I don't know that weight or flexibility's a problem for present e-readers. My problems:
- size. Though that's mostly because I have an old Kindle. It takes a fairly big pocket to hold it. At the same time, the screen's too small for some of uses I'd like to put it to (basically, reading stuff with pictures in them...).
- resolution. Again, watching images is a problem.
- contrast. It's not too bad, but it's not that good either.
- color. I don't actually miss it, but it might be nice.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 10:03   Link #636
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Interesting, but I don't know that weight or flexibility's a problem for present e-readers. My problems:
- size. Though that's mostly because I have an old Kindle. It takes a fairly big pocket to hold it. At the same time, the screen's too small for some of uses I'd like to put it to (basically, reading stuff with pictures in them...).
- resolution. Again, watching images is a problem.
- contrast. It's not too bad, but it's not that good either.
- color. I don't actually miss it, but it might be nice.
And there's still nothing quite a like a textbook and being able to look at multiple pages on the fly, especially for referencing and looking up stuff.
Old 2012-04-01, 10:13   Link #637
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
And there's still nothing quite a like a textbook and being able to look at multiple pages on the fly, especially for referencing and looking up stuff.
I think well designed e-books could solve that. I mean, there's already a search function. And a ToC, if they care to put one. Adding some links shouldn't be too hard.

Browing's more of a problem.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 02:15   Link #638
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Just implement a splitscreen mode in your ebook reader, then you could display two pages independently.

Sony actually makes a tablet with dual 5.5 inch screens but it's a bit small for ebook use and I have no idea if the dual screen implementation works well or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I want one with Kana Hanazawa calling me onii-chan.
j/k

(also, for those that aren't aware, the GPS Vexx mentioned exists, but it's Japanese market only)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 03:09   Link #639
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I want one with Kana Hanazawa calling me onii-chan.
j/k
*smashes a GPS system over outfoxzero's head*

She will ONLY call ME that. You hear me? Nobody else! Stop stealing my lolis!

Quote:
(also, for those that aren't aware, the GPS Vexx mentioned exists, but it's Japanese market only)
He used to work for the CIA, so anything can be hacked, rigged or reverse engineered. If he can't do it, I believe his interns/understudies can.

Come to think of it, since the PSP can be rigged to become a GPS system, we could actually rip the voice from the original system and work from there, homebrewing it onto the PSP.

Old 2012-04-02, 05:31   Link #640
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Holographic eBooks, imo.