Old 2007-07-14, 03:09   Link #101
DieH@rd

Not yet. Maybe by the end of the year.
DieH@rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 19:32   Link #102
Isaak
Anime preferred

Question Afro Samurai

So far I have only watched one episode and the story and action are probably a bit exaggerated but I'm quite amused by the anime.

Last edited by Isaak; 2008-02-05 at 15:27.
Isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 01:11   Link #103
thefinalrune

I see from anime news network that there is a 'uncut' DVD version of Afro Samurai that was released in early 2007. It says there is an additional 15 minutes of video and an extended ending in this version.

Has anyone seen the 'uncut' version and could you tell me differences between it and the normal version (as I can't seem to find any details at ANN or from the Afro Samurai site)?
thefinalrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 01:43   Link #104
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I noted that curses were just blotted out (though not beeped, just taken out altogether) in the TV broadcast. That could be it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 03:04   Link #105
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalrune View Post
I see from anime news network that there is a 'uncut' DVD version of Afro Samurai that was released in early 2007. It says there is an additional 15 minutes of video and an extended ending in this version.

Has anyone seen the 'uncut' version and could you tell me differences between it and the normal version (as I can't seem to find any details at ANN or from the Afro Samurai site)?
I know the sex sequence shows a lot more. =p That's all I really remember from the two, tbh.

I really want to hit up the Blu Ray version of the japanese movie release.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 20:09   Link #106
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtm View Post
Spoiler:
The headbands don´t give shit, they´re just a sign for already having acquired divine power, they´re ordinary headbands afterall

why didn´t he keep the headband in the 1st place? because he´s obviously some sadist that needs someone strong he can beatup
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 22:56   Link #107
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
The new 'season' of this hasn't aired yet has it?
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 23:09   Link #108
rg4619

It airs on Sunday.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 23:14   Link #109
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
The new 'season' of this hasn't aired yet has it?
Nope. It'll air on Sunday
Old 2009-01-20, 23:24   Link #110
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Ok, thanks. I def don't wanna miss it .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 14:11   Link #111
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Wait for the anime !The five first episode/oav was great !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 00:48   Link #112
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
anyone have the game yet?
Old 2009-02-07, 23:59   Link #113
finalnight
Supreme Commander

Saw the uncut dvd today of resurrection, definitely disappointed. Lots of cliche crap no new development.

6/10
finalnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 00:16   Link #114
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
I dropped watching half way.
I don't know why people rate this anime so high.
Never liked Samuel L Jackson, and I guess it was an above-average dubbing, but leave it to the real voice actors...(Lowenthal ftw!).
Anyways, mediocre vocing (except the leads), unfit setting, slow pacing, and generic story plot.
Old 2009-02-09, 07:00   Link #115
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I liked it, but the first series did have way better atmosphere and an actual story with the headbands.

The thing that got me was that they didn't show EXACTLY WHAT happened in the final battle. Basically Afro came out unscathed but we don't exactly know how. I thought that was disappointing. Otherwise, it's still pretty well made. American voice actors are still horrible except for Jackson.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 09:06   Link #116
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch the movie :

Yeah it was great and amazing ! Blood blood blood lol
Well , In the beginning Afro was weak ... but still always a badass when he's serious .
Jinno's family story . Too sad for them .
There will be always some people who will get revenge when Afro kill the people who seeks headband n°1 . "Cycle of Blood"
In the end Afro revival was overabused , well its like that . He should burn the 2 headband if he want a peaceful life .
And omg he give the n°2 to the little boy "come again when you'll be ready" well the times he grow up etc he will already get killed by other samurai .....
In the end it seems the monster is back (don't remember is name )
Wait for the S2 .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 09:18   Link #117
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

If it wasn't for issue with VA used I would have loved the series . Watched the movie it was pretty good I can go as far as to say I enjoyed some bits of it . I would rate the movie decent~good thanks to that one scene featuring dancing monks in the ceremonial procession. That scene just blew me away
Old 2009-02-23, 01:46   Link #118
Chase

I liked it(Resurrection). It looks awesome in Blu-Ray.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 16:38   Link #119
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

STORY SECTION: 3 [Where have I heard that one before?]

A black samurai (!) wants to revenge his father’s killer, the holder of the No.1 headband. Because he is wearing the No.2 headband, he is targeted by all those who want to make a name for themselves… That’s it.

For starters, an action-based series with revenge being the only excuse for the plot is not original nor it is smart. The series doesn’t try to go any further than that, leaving all characters with a depth in personality that even toadpoles would find hard to live in.

CHARACTER SECTION: 3 [All show and no meaning]

-Afro is another cool heavy-dude, ultra-powerful no matter what his opponent may be. He talks too little and doesn’t care about anyone else other than himself. He never tries to reason with someone and simply solves all his problems with brainless violence. He doesn’t care about anything else, other than revenge, making him distant and hard to believe that someone can actually spend his life like that (is this even called life?).

-There is a sexy woman in the story, supposed to soften his heart. She is there to show him that happiness doesn’t evolve killing a dozen people every day. But all her presence is wasted on that brainless Afro and in reality she’s just there for fan service.

-There is this funny imaginary guy that follows Afro everywhere. In a way, he is Afro’s inner voice of reason, and is supposed to question his motives of revenge. Again, his words are also wasted on “I don’t care what you say” Afro and becomes just the comic relief in the story.

-The bad guys are typical insane megalomaniacs that engage with an obviously superior opponent but are too stupid to realize that they can’t win. The only thing they care about is wasting their lives on becoming the No.2 in the world. Why? So murderers like themselves will target them for the rest of their lives. What the hell are they thinking? They can be much better by being just Afro’s famous lap dogs.

What is there to praise about the characters? The cool way they fight? That’s not personality, nor character development. Personally, I have left behind any respect I had about muscular/shallow heavy-dudes. No matter how awesome they fight, if they don’t have a descent backdrop story or personality, they are like the drone characters of every MMORPG: Cool to look at but without a hint of reasoning behind anything they do (pressing a button is hardly called a reasoning).

ART - SOUND - ENJOYMENT SECTION: 8 [Brainlessly good]

The artwork is weird. Rough edges and as black palette colors as the samurai’s race. It was hard to get used to it but then again I prefer this sort of drawings to those so-cute-that-you-want-to-puke Air or Kanon artwork. So, I won’t say they are bad but rather they are “alternative”. More reminiscent of dark-themed American graphic novels than anime; it’s up to your personal tastes if you like them or not.

Action scenes are the whole focus. Animation and sound effects are greatly detailed and flashy but also hardly realistic. Again, it’s your tastes that will decide if you find them to be cool (it’s high-octane action!) or fake (it’s a brainless slug-fest). If realism is set aside, you get to see some of the best fighting a series can offer.

Villains with cool gadgets and an insane look will engage the grimace-less Afro in faster-than-sound speeds. The speed of the battles is extremely high and has no intervals (like in Dragonball Z).

There is apparently a lot of air in the world of the series, as a breeze seems to run through everything and makes headbands, coats and hats to flap endlessly. This gives a non-stop movement to even stale images. You could even say that the breeze is in fact the strength of the characters’ resolve and lust for power! … Or just hot air coming out of those airheads… Whatever it is, it makes everyone a lot cooler and imposing.

The “air effect” also causes a lot of dust. As an optical trick, every action lifts considerable amounts of dust, giving the feeling that the characters are not fighting in a stale image, called the background. It also helps to hide the outcome of every attack … and the mistakes in the animation of the action’s reaction. It makes the battles much more interesting but also more confusing as many moves are hidden and leave you to imagine what happened.

Swords versus rocket launchers and laser guns may sound ridiculous to compare but then again Hollywood is famous just for being extravagant. And this series sure tries to follow Hollywood’s footsteps.

Music themes are African American-oriented and appeal mostly to people that are accustomed to them (the rest of us are used to hearing J-pop). Personal tastes decide yet again. But they sure do fit with a story that has a black man as a protagonist. Being a combination of rap and techno, there is a lot of strength (and beat!) present to the point of reminding you all those AMVs some make with action clips from anime while awesome music themes play in the background. I still think that Rock and its variations is the best kind of music for battle themes. African American music is about fighting the system and describing the cruel society of the Ghettos black people were left to live; a theme not present in the series. So, it’s not that fitting with the action and becomes another thing that only those accustomed with it will appreciate.

VALUE SECTION: 3

Ever heard of another black samurai? How many series with so well made action scenes are there? These are the good parts that stand out.

How many myriad series/movies with heavy-dudes bound on revenge have you seen? This is the bad part that ruins most of the replay value.

VERDICT: 5.5 / 10
The accused is found … GUILTY! … For providing us with quality action scenes without caring about decent backdrop stories and characters.

SUGGESTION LIST

This series is equal with:
Samurai Jack. An American cartoon with anime overtones with an avenging samurai. Too fake and stupid.
Samurai Deeper Kyo. It has lots of cool characters in it. But the battles suck big time. (the manga is far better)

This series is worse than:
Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, Rurouni Kenshin. Not so great battles but definitely way better story and characters.

P.S. This series reminded me of the song [b] Dust In The Wind, [b] performed by Kansas. It is full of dust and air. And it dissolves with the slightest wind before other good Samurai series.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote