Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-01, 15:44   Link #21
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
So Hodi's decided to televise his revolution. Maybe the execution of Neptune and the Strawhats? Whatever the case, it looks like Hodi v. Luffy will start in just a few chapters ...unless he has to deal with Van Decken first (leaving Hodi to Nami ).
I would look forward to Nami going against Hordy. It would be a highlight if Nami were to bring raging justice to him She-Hulk style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And also, remember that he didn't bother listening to Nami's story, either. Luffy's not really the type of person who gives a crap about people's backgrounds, but instead judges them with his gut feelings......
Again I say, visual flashbacks makes all the difference (weather it would take someone with powers of optical illusion or someone who is a telepath). If ever Luffy would fall asleep while I tell a backstory, I'll have him know about it in his dreams where said backstory will become visual and he'll have no choice but to watch the events happen.

Quote:
*BTW, I kinda liked seeing Sanji acting like his old asshole self again. I guess one sorta misses that types of thing after seeing a character be subjected to constant humiliation for roughly five years in a row. **It's also kinda weird to see Nami talking with her super-sized clone in the same panel (yet another reason why Shira's chances of joining are low: awkwardness). ***Oh well, now that the flashback's over, I'm most looking forward to seeing some action from Hody's crew, particularly hammerhead and Zeoberg. Some drunken badassery from Hyouzou shouldn't go amiss, either.
*What was Sanji being an asshole for this time? I feel like David Seville watching over Alvin whenever Sanji acts like this.

**First to consider, Shirahoshi and Nami may look alike but there's no garuantee they would have the same hair color. Shirahoshi might have brown or blonde hair. We'll find out about it if she makes an appearance on a volume cover.
Second to consider, I find them cute as kittens getting along.
Third to consider, certain members of the crew has had their awkward moments. The awkwardness for Franky involves him always wearing speedos and crying at sad or heroic backstories. The awkwardness for Brook was his looks upon meeting him and the fact that he's perverted for panties. We've seen Shirahoshi in a flashback and has lost a loved one, the only thing that's left is her dream.

***I for one would like to see what the squidman specializes in weather he's a martial artist or uses a gun for each hand.
Old 2011-06-01, 15:58   Link #22
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
*What was Sanji being an asshole for this time?

Basically being a dick towards anyone who doesn't have a vagina.
Old 2011-06-01, 16:25   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Back in present time Jinbe finishes his story. Nami surprisingly forgives Jinbei for her suffering (which is just as well seeing that humble Jinbe knew that Arlong was a bad apple among fishmen). Good to see Nami and Shirahoshi getting along.
There was nothing to forgive. Despite what he himself thinks, Jinbe isn't responsible at all for Arlong's past actions. Nobody can blame him for not wanting to kill his (childhood) friend. Nami understood that and relieved him of his guilt. This just goes to show that Jinbe has a heart of gold; he tortured himself over something he wasn't directly responsible for.

And yeah, Sanji was kind of a dick in this chapter.
Old 2011-06-01, 16:31   Link #24
cheese4u
da big boss

Man, I thought I was the only one who thought Sanji was being a prick this chapter.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2011-06-01, 16:33   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And yeah, Sanji was kind of a dick in this chapter.
I pretty much agree, though at the same time it didn't bother me. There's a time and place for Sanji to act the way he did, and that scene wasn't one of them.
Old 2011-06-01, 17:21   Link #26
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

What, Sanji's always been like that since he was introduced - ladies first, everyone else can go to Hell (the special kind for those who offend said ladies) . At least he isn't bleeding or even turning to stone anymore...

Besides, Luffy slept through the whole story - that's also like him, and it's kind of worse than what Sanji did...
Old 2011-06-01, 18:23   Link #27
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
What, Sanji's always been like that since he was introduced - ladies first, everyone else can go to Hell (the special kind for those who offend said ladies) . At least he isn't bleeding or even turning to stone anymore...

Besides, Luffy slept through the whole story - that's also like him, and it's kind of worse than what Sanji did...
Asking Jinbei to kill himself for something that wasn't really his fault is better than sleeping through a story?
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2011-06-01, 20:57   Link #28
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
First time a flashback in OP had me completely uninvolved. I'm not even sure why, but this was possibly the only flashback in One Piece where I really couldn't care less.
Old 2011-06-01, 21:25   Link #29
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 627
That was not a bad chapter. A lot of loose ends still.
Old 2011-06-01, 21:42   Link #30
Undertaker

Personally I like this flashback. I thought this flashback is perhaps the deepest of all OP flashback to date. Granted the pacing is a bit off but that was mainly due to the amount of events Oda tried to squeeze in, and in some cases, it actually present a few more question than answering them.

Because of that, I think part of this flashback has not completely revealed yet. Looking closely, the whole killer=pirate was Jinbe's call to cover up. On the other hand, Hody only stressing the killer being a human. As result, there is no proof the killer is indeed a fiddle pirat, we don't even know who he is, even if he is a pirate, why kill Otohime? It make more sense to try to capture them alive to sell as slaves as Cribou does.

Anyway, after reading the chapter, I'am actually convinced that WG has something to do with this. The long hair guy that was being caught, looks exactly like the figure with Marine suitcase that was in the background from last chapter. (I posted on Pg of last chapter discussion.)

As for Hody's plan, I think it's fair obvious now with what Hachi has revealed so far. In addition of taking over the throne, he is planning killing all fishermen/mermaid who gave their signatures in these past 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Asking Jinbei to kill himself for something that wasn't really his fault is better than sleeping through a story?
It is in Sanjii's world. Now if Jinbe is woman, that would totally change this.

But really, that suicide thing is just a type of Japanese comedy and punchline and I won't put too much thought on it. I got a good chuckle out of that scene.

Now, if Oda draw that thing in a different way I might feel differently.

I actually feel a bit for Sanji, ever since water 7, he has become Oda's go-to guy for punchlines and cruel jokes...
Old 2011-06-01, 21:57   Link #31
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
So Luffy actually did fall asleep. Somebody called it in the previous thread.^^ He didn't get anything out of Jimbei's little story, but then again, some meat is probably all the motivation he needs to fight the bad guys anyway.
Old 2011-06-02, 01:11   Link #32
letterblossom

Great flashback, though not my favorite but live up to the standard.

What makes me wonder is: I think jinbei already knows more about the killer identity beside being human. But why he didn't tell luffy? I guess oda is saving up this part to be revealed later in this arc. Perhaps by a losing hordy.

I think maybe we won't see robin much in action for this arc. For the last 2 years she was with the revolutionary, and there might be a secret mission given to her by them.

About hordy killing every fish man who refuse to give signature, i think he will try to give them a second chance. more likely he will kill who refuse to step on otohime fumi-e.
Old 2011-06-02, 03:51   Link #33
Casshern

Hoping for Vander Decken vs Sanji. Somehow I get the feeling that Hodi might be redeemed at the end of this arc.
Old 2011-06-02, 06:21   Link #34
Battler-kun

Quote:
"Plot? THPTHPTHPBPTH! Who needs that?" *goes back to reading Bleach*
Nope, i have never read Bleach.
Right now, i actually favor Toriko over One Piece.

The pace is just perfect and it is fun to read without all the whiny stuff, elements which Oda has overused now.
Old 2011-06-02, 07:02   Link #35
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

To be honest, the flashbacks are kind of a YMMV thing. Personally, I feels that this story isn't as deep as the previous time they introduced Robin's past, but maybe that's because the WG isn't directly involved (for now). Though seeing the 'sad' flashback that everyone on the crew had, let's cast votes to see which Fishman may end up joining the crew.

Speaking of which, we never had a main antagonist directly joining the crew afterwards (except Robin, but her role in attacking the team was somewhat insignificant)

Whiny stuff? I don't know, i find that it's more of a 'maturation' process, seeing how everyone grew older by two years, some things will have to change (though as Luffy and Sanji can testify in this chapter, old habits die hard). They are entering the 'New World' after all.
Old 2011-06-02, 10:51   Link #36
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
Nope, i have never read Bleach.
Right now, i actually favor Toriko over One Piece.

The pace is just perfect and it is fun to read without all the whiny stuff, elements which Oda has overused now.

I agree that Toriko's awesome (It's one of my current top favorite shonen comics, after all). And guess what? That series also has solid worldbuilding aspects like OP, so there still shouldn't be any major reasons to complain just because Oda puts a little more emotion into his stories.

However, despite its solid narrative tools, Toriko is still a more action-oriented series compared to OP, so your posts still suggest to me that you favor punchy-punchy over plot. Not that I dislike action myself (I love old-school stuff like Kinnikuman and Hokuto no Ken after all), but a good ol'-fashioned adventure story tends to tickle my fancy in ways that shirtless dudes beating the tar out of each other does not (heck, just read some Scrooge McDuck stories from Carl Barks or Don Rosa for the kind of experience I'm talking about! ). Nothing wrong with branching out......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Somehow I get the feeling that Hodi might be redeemed at the end of this arc.

Uh.... the evidence so far indicates the polar opposite being the case. As Hachi clearly pointed out, Arlong was at least respectful towards his fellow kinsmen despite disagreeing with some of their views, yet that didn't change the fact that he was still an irredeemable piece of filth. So what makes Hody seem any more likely to have a change of heart considering his extremist attitude? I can't really say what will become of him by the storyline's end, but I strongly doubt that it'll involve him suddenly becoming Mr. Happy Nice Guy.....

Anyways, I think it was in the last chapter thread where I dismissed the possibility of a Mariejoa arc happening before the NW, but now with this stuff about Hody's plans involving the Reverie..... I dunno. It may be possible that Luffy and co. will take a trip there after all (though I still doubt that means we'll be seeing a war taking place there or whatever (that would have to wait until near the series' end like Whitebeard foreshadowed, methinks). I'm guessing the place will be used as the arena for the final battle against Hody, though it would still be cool to see some world noble involvement somewhere along the line (and maybe Oda could show us more of the world leaders, too. In fact, it would be really cool if one of the attendants was the Goa kingdom's king since we never saw his face in Luffy's flashback)).......
Old 2011-06-02, 11:42   Link #37
Casshern

Quote:
Uh.... the evidence so far indicates the polar opposite being the case. As Hachi clearly pointed out, Arlong was at least respectful towards his fellow kinsmen despite disagreeing with some of their views, yet that didn't change the fact that he was still an irredeemable piece of filth. So what makes Hody seem any more likely to have a change of heart considering his extremist attitude? I can't really say what will become of him by the storyline's end, but I strongly doubt that it'll involve him suddenly becoming Mr. Happy Nice Guy.....
Compared to Arlong, he's definitely more ruthless to anyone unsympathetic to his cause, but somehow he doesn't seem as cruel or malicious as Arlong. Arlong was outright evil but I don't get the same vibe from Hody. In his own mind he might believe that if he doesn't subdue the fishmen against him, they'll end up causing more harm to all fishmen. Also, by attacking both fishmen and humans he is treating the two races more equally, though in a twisted kind of way.

Maybe he wont be redeemed at all but I don't think he's anywhere near as far gone as Arlong. With all those things that happened with Nami, it's like Arlong was built from the fround up to be hated. With the back-story we just saw I (predictably) didn't feel any sympathy at all for Arlong, but I did feel a bit of sympathy for Hody.
Old 2011-06-02, 14:03   Link #38
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

This is the worst time for Caribou to be on the island.. He's running around capturing mermaids! Also, everyone will probably think that Caribou is with the Strawhats too. I can imagine Luffy's stupidity already: Hodi: "Who let this man into our kingdom?" Strawhat Crew: "Sshhhhh!!!" Luffy: "I did."

I think it would be awesome if Hodi's plan was to attack Mariejois. It would fit so well with the way the story is going. The Strawhats will be headed to the New World soon so now would be the best time to have them go to Mariejois. It's right above them! If the government actualy did kill the queen, (by framing that pirate) then Hodi would want revenge, and he would be one of the only people who knew. On the next chapter Hodi might reveal that it was the government who killed the queen and then ask the fishmen to join him on a revolution against the government. I dunno.. I just really hope Oda takes the story to Mariejois.. =P
Old 2011-06-02, 14:27   Link #39
marvelB

^Yes, I also conceded the possibility of this storyline continuing in Mariejoa, as you'll see a couple of posts above. However, I just don't think we'll have Luffy and co. combing the whole location just yet. Like maybe we'll see just enough of the place to whet our appetites for the time being before the crew inevitably returns there after spending some time in the New World (lmaybe even after they reach Raftel).....

Heh, BTW, I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen the usual storm of complaints about OP being on a break. "zomg op is on break again??? oda you lazy piece of doo-doo!!!! "

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Compared to Arlong, he's definitely more ruthless to anyone unsympathetic to his cause, but somehow he doesn't seem as cruel or malicious as Arlong.

I dunno.... doping himself up in order to destroy a fodder pirate crew and laughing while watching Hachi get mutilated by Decken suggests otherwise to me. It's even more ironic considering that he accused Arlong of being too "barbaric and unsophisticated" despite the lengths we saw Hody go through for the sake of his cause......
Old 2011-06-02, 14:38   Link #40
Homura7

I think the WG was indeed involved in the assassination of the queen, and Hodi took part. The nobles probably took good note of Hodi's hatred toward humans and made him an offer in exchange of something.

That said, I don't think we'll be seeing Mariejois. That place is to me the last place the crew will visit (assault) after Raftel.
Closed Thread