AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-04-15, 08:42   Link #1281
HasuMasu
*Artist

the essay reminded me of my 1000 year long monologues in the bathroom before going to bed, it's long, and talks in a way that it's like it's explaining something to someone...yep, that's definitely it
Old 2011-04-16, 05:21   Link #1282
HuNGaricum

Hey guys! got some good news here! Infinite Stratos got the 2nd place in Biglobe's Most popular winter 2011 anime poll sadly, the first place is miles away, but the podium is a great place to rest on i think its non representative, but it's a good thing, that people like this series
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...ter-2011-anime
HuNGaricum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 22:11   Link #1283
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Well, the weekend is gone, and my experiment to stay away from anything I.S. for 3 days seems to have been a success. Or was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
@ mangatron: Instapaper'ed, I'll get to it in due course. The Touch Pro is a bit classic now isn't it? I have fond memories of the Tytn II/Tilt.
Classic indeed. I was planning on the Touch Pro 2, but there were some things missing from it that kinda felt like a let down. But at $15 (you read that right), I thought it'd be fun to just give the old TP a try (and cook my own ROMs for it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And sorry, but I do think your Houki fanboyism is blinding you and is precisely what allows you to think this series is good. For example, you entirely overlooked Ichika's retarded (there is really no other word)'s behavior in episode 11 and focused only on his interaction with Houki (which I still find incredibly out of place and therefore downright hilarious, in a bad way).
I thought this series is "good"? Opinion is in quote #2

Ahem, about episode 11, on the contrary, it is actually the opposite. The original write-up for episode 11 was only a 10 line paragraph at the most, and for a good reason (didn't catch the part where I was getting pissed off near the end of my editorial?). I re-wrote it because the episode 12 write-up damn near took up 1/3 of the entire editorial, making the episode 11 paragraph look like a bunch of Houki fanboy trite (honestly, I actually left out as much Ichi as that episode showed), but I want to be as simple as possible when I explain my reasoning for episode 11. (I'll assume you are talking about my "virtual world" joke, as I see no other Ichi presence in episode 11 that seems "retarded", as you put it.)

The original intent of the editorial was to explore some of the reasoning behind the entire series' portrayal, of mainly Ichi and Houki. It's not to explain or justify the intent of a characters actions, I looked at a different view as to Ichi's actions, and I see for a fact this guy's been spending much of his time thinking about Houki. Well damn, just about everything he did had some concern for her, and I pointed it out full well that it's caused him to pretty much ignore everything (and everyone) else around him. I don't need to go on, do I?

Maybe the big picture missed is the fact that I'm a Houki fan, and not an Ichi fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to be insulting at all. Maybe I should have added a few smilies here and there...

I never said he shouldn't like the series. Only that his love for Houki is most likely the main reason he likes it so much in the first place (which is TOTALLY fine of course), and that explains why people like me who couldn't care less about Houki don't like it. In fact, the very purpose of his essay was to point out the series was about Houki x Ichika and not a harem so this should make some sense to him. He, who saw the series this way, didn't understand why there is so much backlash against IS. All I'm trying to say is that even if you try to look at the series from this angle (by the way, in my opinion, there is no "correct" angle. You're free to take this series as a harem if you wish. There is no absolute truth. Hell, I'm still convinced it's a harem despite mangatron's brilliant essay), you may still hate it.
No offense taken. It's difficult living in the world I live in because I can't even recall anyone I've ever met who didn't take my words at face value

I understood full well the backlash of I.S. 300+ posts in the Charlotte thread makes a lot of sense, and not everyone wanted to see yet another lead male who didn't give a damn of the beauties around him. Nor do I deny the fact that it is a harem; I make no secret that my belief of a harem posted earlier in the thread is of 3 or more girls, and the fact that I was well aware of even Yamada-sensei's advances proves that I'm just about used to it. But it's a sad fact I never tried to hide that other not-so-obvious meaning behind my editorial: my "harem" tag stems largely of my not-so-secret feeling that some of the girls I wanted to see more of, were shafted. Yeah, you heard that right: I too believe it's a harem, and I admit full well that wasn't something I was going to admit in my editorial, especially when that was painfully obvious of the entire 12,000+ words of why I didn't think it was in actuality "generic".

Or have we forgotten we just wanted to see how the 12 episodes played out and why? And why it didn't play out in the "generic" sense of other harem anime I encountered before? I looked at the plot and it's placement, and not its roots. A harem in it's roots, but in no way generic in its writing/storytelling [of the Anime]. I'm only going to give one random example, and that is [the Anime version of] Girls Bravo. That is generic. It's an undeniable fact I.S. has it's faults just like everything else in this world, and I sure don't want to shove it down someone's throat, and it shouldn't even be looked into of my opinion of why I think like so because, seriously, I damaged my keyboard an extra 66,000+ times more than it should have been, and during those 66,000+ times I am sure I was veeerry clear as to I.S.'s faults. I'm not going to deny it, tell me my writing style is just too old to even make a shred of sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
the essay reminded me of my 1000 year long monologues in the bathroom before going to bed, it's long, and talks in a way that it's like it's explaining something to someone...yep, that's definitely it
Believe it or not, but the editorial took very little effort in thinking, in fact it mainly had to do more with me accessing my memory than anything else. The past 4 months isn't something every sane human is able to recall with very little uncertainty, and I'm ashamed to say it's something that is very easy for me to do nowadays despite 3 health setbacks.

Or should I say "Don't forget, it's a 12 episode write-up of what I saw, and its obvious meanings"? I made clear what was my opinion, and conspiracy, which happened in such a small number it's easy to say I was joking half the time.

I know, I need to work on that. Keeping work at work, and keeping fun with fun. It's no secret that editorial is heavy with my spy training, which is why I spent the past weekend making a complete fool of [my usual] self mostly in the Dog Days and Hidan no Aria threads (which was a lot more fun than I ever had for I.S., admittedly enough).
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 23:29   Link #1284
Kyuu
=^^=

I just started this series... like right now. And all I gotta say... one guy in an all girls futuristic school piloting some high tech mech device thing. Of all things, one guy out of the world?

I give a big FU to whoever came up with that wet dream. LOL.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 00:29   Link #1285
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I just started this series... like right now. And all I gotta say... one guy in an all girls futuristic school piloting some high tech mech device thing. Of all things, one guy out of the world?

Well you know how it is. "Legend fortells of a hero who will rise-" you know the rest

I mean come one, I may have forgotten in all these years, but was there ever a popular tale of "Legend foretells of an Army of great warriors who will come to smite evil" or something like that? Surely there's another individual out there with a similar goal

Ah but I'm not going to go all explanatory on this... no.. no no no. Ok, I'll just be quick with this: I'm going on a limb on saying it is him out of the rest of the world simply because he is Chifuyu-nee's sibling. Granted there's the debate of no one ever trying to find another, but that's one of those left out details...
Old 2011-04-18, 22:16   Link #1286
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

I agree that the premise is uninspired. But Infinite Stratos' main faults are its utter failure in enjoyable and well-developed characterization, along with a poorly and lazily written excuse for a romantic plot painfully forced to go nowhere. Even by harem standards, it is an insult to writing.

What's even worse is that the novel author is very much aware of his own writing problems in Infinite Stratos. A few times in the series, the characters make snarky remarks about how ridiculous Ichika is as a character. It's just that the author simply didn't care, and is vomiting out this series to rake in easy bucks, a tactic which unfortunately has become successful.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 22:27   Link #1287
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I agree that the premise is uninspired. But Infinite Stratos' main faults are its utter failure in enjoyable and well-developed characterization, along with a poorly and lazily written excuse for a romantic plot painfully forced to go nowhere. Even by harem standards, it is an insult to writing.
By this point, I'm at episode 6. And I skimmed threads of the episodes ahead of time (yes, I read ahead to pick at spoilers). I can already tell - the premise is going downhill.

Freezing somewhat suffered a similar fate.

I'm just glad to be watching Tears to Tiara at the same time. Otherwise, I probably may lose my mind.

Yet to be fair:

Quote:
It's just that the author simply didn't care, and is vomiting out this series to rake in easy bucks, a tactic which unfortunately has become successful.
If I were in the same shoes as the author, I'd probably do the same thing. Make money off of something that cheap.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 10:05   Link #1288
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Freezing somewhat suffered a similar fate.
i disliked freezing from the get-go
except maybe for that part in the beginning with music ancaningly simmilar to something from batman beyond

Quote:
If I were in the same shoes as the author, I'd probably do the same thing. Make money off of something that cheap.
you and me both

Last edited by HasuMasu; 2011-05-02 at 05:56.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 08:36   Link #1289
mangatron

Infinite Stratos OVA

So guys, what's this about? First I've heard of it. If it was posted before, I know, I'm late

Still though, they all have cute clothes. Now I say one thing: I hope they left Rinny's boots on
Old 2011-06-12, 09:03   Link #1290
Dahak86
Classics never age

there was already a talk about it in the LN/manga thread.
check there for more info.
Old 2011-06-12, 09:22   Link #1291
mangatron

No wonder why, I haven't visited that thread in like... months what's it doing there anyways? Shouldn't it have been posted here? This isn't exactly a dead forum XD

And I have only just started reading the novel. It's almost as if time flows so slow for me, because IS is still fresh in my mind
Old 2011-06-12, 09:32   Link #1292
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
what's it doing there anyways? Shouldn't it have been posted here?
I suspect because that's substantially the most-active thread left on here.. (with the exception of the image-thread, of course)
Old 2011-06-12, 11:29   Link #1293
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
I suspect because that's substantially the most-active thread left on here.. (with the exception of the image-thread, of course)
Oh, I see... Kinda like how the Strike Witches threads will always be alive with non-tv aired talk, even after the series finished airing

No but seriously, I wouldn't follow that logic of jumping into the most active thread if there is a more appropriate thread out there. Even for those character threads, I still read them, it's just that at that moment I didn't have any significant material to reply with so my reply backlog gets even more backlogged :/

Anyways, I still have that Houki post I was going to do a couple of months ago. Originally planned to be a part of my radio show, due to external interference I will only post the transcript. Time may flow slow for me, but I didn't forget

And the image thread needs to be renamed the NSFW thread, not that I'm complaining It's further proof IS is about the girls, not the plot LOL
Old 2011-06-12, 12:32   Link #1294
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Time may flow slow for me, but I didn't forget
the slower time flows for you, the faster you're traveling.

Quote:
It's further proof IS is about the girls, not the plot LOL
like any good harem/ecchi anime out there... (imho: plot is overrated)
Old 2011-06-12, 18:46   Link #1295
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
And the image thread needs to be renamed the NSFW thread, not that I'm complaining It's further proof IS is about the girls, not the plot LOL
If someone actually watches this for the repeating plot, I'd be surprised.
Old 2011-06-12, 21:06   Link #1296
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira0802 View Post
- I dunno, I know quite a few people who watch shows (anime, western TV, or otherwise) precisely because they have repeating plots...

And I'll say it again: If not for Charlotte, I would never have even gotten interested in IS. I think that's pretty much the way it is for most of us--we only got in because there's a character we like.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 06:17   Link #1297
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
i watched it for that, houki was a sweat bonus to me, but i did like the plot, or, whatever you could call a 'plot' there

Quote:
Now I say one thing: I hope they left Rinny's boots on
THEY DAMN STRAIGHT BETTER LEAVE THOSE ON

Quote:
Anyways, I still have that Houki post I was going to do a couple of months ago.
holy crap you're still doing that? great, i thought you'd forgoten

still won't give you back your title though

Quote:
And the image thread needs to be renamed the NSFW thread, not that I'm complaining
yeah, they probably should add that tag to the title
Old 2011-08-13, 04:25   Link #1298
justpassingby

IS One Off Festival PV Link

IS OVA PV - Link
Old 2011-08-13, 04:56   Link #1299
HasuMasu
*Artist

It's weird cuz I don't know who's who.

I wonder how long the OVA is?

Hopefully not as short as a regular episode.
Old 2011-08-13, 05:32   Link #1300
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
It's weird cuz I don't know who's who.

I wonder how long the OVA is?

Hopefully not as short as a regular episode.
I hope it will be around 20-25 episodes

I want to see the White Knight Incident
Silver-Throne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist