AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2010-09-01, 16:23   Link #61
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
There is no valid excuse why the FINimation dubs can use the word God, but the manga refused to.

It follows the narrative that VIZ constantly makes oversensitive alterations to their series. One example being the Rock Lee's Drunken Fist being changed to the "Potion Punch". He got that way my drinking Tsunade's "private potion". Somehow, Kimimaro seemed to know Lee had drank this "private potion" and was "loopy".

This censorship wouldn't be that big a deal if they offered a more authentic alternative. The way they released Dragon Ball in both edited and unedited forms. Though, this edited and childish version is the only one they release. It shouldn't be purchased or supported by anyone. They don't want us to use scanlations, but refuse to put out a product that equals the authenticity of the scanlations.

I do think that FUNimation is doing a lot better job than VIZ on One Piece. Though they at times make alterations. They offer the subtitles unaltered as an alternative. FUNimation provided options to their consumers. VIZ offers no alternatives.

One of the more ridiculous changes from VIZ. Their Naruto manga calls all the teacher "Master", but the VIZ anime of Naruto uses "Sensei". They aren't even consistent within their own company.
Once again you give all this info and in fact it is all normal stuff. You acting like it is all a censor when it isn't. Okay I have actually seen the manga workers or worker for Viz and you know I think Viz anime and Viz Manga are kept separate, because whenever the anime they would give whole discussions about stuff but the person doing the manga gives this short description of doing touch ups. It is weid when you put the manga in it, but I don't read many manga (besides scans) so I have learn the most about
Old 2010-09-01, 21:01   Link #62
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
Once again you give all this info and in fact it is all normal stuff. You acting like it is all a censor when it isn't. Okay I have actually seen the manga workers or worker for Viz and you know I think Viz anime and Viz Manga are kept separate, because whenever the anime they would give whole discussions about stuff but the person doing the manga gives this short description of doing touch ups. It is weid when you put the manga in it, but I don't read many manga (besides scans) so I have learn the most about
Being normal and being right isn't the same thing. It's just normal that VIZ alters and changes. If they are censoring anything it's not appropriate. It doesn't matter how often they are doing it, or just doing it occasionally.

It's ridiculous that the anime for Naruto and the manga for Naruto are saying two different things when they are owned by the same company. Why is it that the anime version is done to be more accurate than the manga? There is no valid excuse for it.

Changing Drunken Fist to "Potion Punch" is censorship. VIZ decided that having Lee being accidentally drunk wasn't appropriate and they changed it to something utterly childish. The same way 4Kids used to remove tattoos and saki always became "grape juice".

I would like to purchase the One Piece manga, but I'm not going to pay VIZ for their alterations and censorship. They also butchered Detective Conan. They switched the entire cast from Japanese to European. It's so bad that at times they have had to rewrite scenes to fit their changes.

VIZ says they don't want people to use scanlations, but refuse to offer an alternative that matches the accuracy in quality to scanlations.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:34   Link #63
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Being normal and being right isn't the same thing. It's just normal that VIZ alters and changes. If they are censoring anything it's not appropriate. It doesn't matter how often they are doing it, or just doing it occasionally.

It's ridiculous that the anime for Naruto and the manga for Naruto are saying two different things when they are owned by the same company. Why is it that the anime version is done to be more accurate than the manga? There is no valid excuse for it.

Changing Drunken Fist to "Potion Punch" is censorship. VIZ decided that having Lee being accidentally drunk wasn't appropriate and they changed it to something utterly childish. The same way 4Kids used to remove tattoos and saki always became "grape juice".

I would like to purchase the One Piece manga, but I'm not going to pay VIZ for their alterations and censorship. They also butchered Detective Conan. They switched the entire cast from Japanese to European. It's so bad that at times they have had to rewrite scenes to fit their changes.

VIZ says they don't want people to use scanlations, but refuse to offer an alternative that matches the accuracy in quality to scanlations.
As you said funi does the same thing, but the offer alterations. The fact of changing subs into there real meanning and flip flopping them like saying EX:"Kami" in manga. "God Eneru" in dubbed anime isn't a censor in any way. Then of course you come back saying
Quote:
Changing Drunken Fist to "Potion Punch" is censorship.
I have to agree with you as I don't read the manga much. But really this sort of thing is not always censorship. It is merely changing the wording around. It is the same thing all though. In my belief no matter how look at the world everyone has a reason for what they do we might not no the reason yet, but there are. Like why 4Kids censors. We all believed there was no real excuse for it, but they had a very reasonable reason why they didn't offer alterations for that time. Hopefully will find out the manga issues too. Well that is all I can think of on this matter.
And I am done with it
Old 2010-09-01, 21:38   Link #64
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:

It's called standards & practices and anything that gets aired or published in the US will be touched by it or that book or tv show doesn't get published or aired.

We get your point, but continually whining about something that is out of your control is not helping at all. Any more of this is off-topic and will be treated as such.

And I repeat: Any more of this will be considered OFF-TOPIC and will be treated as such.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 03:36   Link #65
FoxxFireArt

"Ambition Energy" just sounds idiotic. Here's hoping when FUNimation dubs the whole Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs they don't have the characters saying "Shave". The same way how the dubs use "God" for Eneru. I was sooo happy when FUNimation rescued One Piece in place of some of those "OTHER" anime distributors.

Did anyone watch the dub episode of One Piece 136, the first Zenny episode? In that scene where they think Zoro 'killed' Zenny, everyone suddenly gangs up on him. They call him a demon and such, but they switched Sanji's line. He was suppose to say Marimo, but the dub changed it to something else. Even if they used "moss head". It would of been better. The reason the line was funny is because of that bit. Having Sanji say it so suddenly and unexpected was part of the joke. I don't see why "moss-head" could be a translation issue. He has green hair. So, the audience should understand it.

There is something I don't quite get about FUNimation. In their subtitle work, they always change Bon Clay's Okama Way to "'Oh Come' my Way". What is that? The subtitles don't hesitate to use words such as "queer" or "fairy" when talking about Bon Clay or Ivan. They even call it New Kama Land, but why do they feel the need to switch "Okama Way"? That's not even near what he's saying.
Old 2010-09-02, 15:19   Link #66
Vegard Aune

Quote:
There is something I don't quite get about FUNimation. In their subtitle work, they always change Bon Clay's Okama Way to "'Oh Come' my Way". What is that? The subtitles don't hesitate to use words such as "queer" or "fairy" when talking about Bon Clay or Ivan. They even call it New Kama Land, but why do they feel the need to switch "Okama Way"? That's not even near what he's saying.
Toei again. Probably the single most annoying term they've pushed on FUNi, because as you mentioned, it's not even close to what "Okama Way" actually means. Now, if they'd called it "Crossdresser Way" or something, that would have been acceptable, if somewhat awkward-sounding, but "Oh Come My Way" is just nonsense.
Old 2010-09-02, 22:15   Link #67
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Toei again. Probably the single most annoying term they've pushed on FUNi, because as you mentioned, it's not even close to what "Okama Way" actually means. Now, if they'd called it "Crossdresser Way" or something, that would have been acceptable, if somewhat awkward-sounding, but "Oh Come My Way" is just nonsense.
I just don't get why they don't go with saying "Okama Way". They use "New Kama Land". Also, why is it every time something is done idiotically it's always Toei? Can't it just be FUNimation screwing it up all on their own?

Even in the FUNimaition subtitles they go back and forth between "Santoryu" and "Three-Sword Style". Sometimes they use one. Sometimes they use the other.
Old 2010-09-02, 22:27   Link #68
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

#1. Toei (being the licensor) has the final say on what Funimation does with the script. To be blunt: "It's their way or the highway!"

#2. That is an editing problem that most likely got missed. There's your "Funimation screwup!"
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 23:05   Link #69
Rainbowman

Quote:
I just don't get why they don't go with saying "Okama Way". They use "New Kama Land". Also, why is it every time something is done idiotically it's always Toei? Can't it just be FUNimation screwing it up all on their own?
Spoiler for future arcs:

I gotta ask: would it be possible for FUNimation to have Nami say tangerines one time and oranges the next? Same should go for either saying berries or bellies (we're talking about the currency in One Piece).
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 02:23   Link #70
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
#1. Toei (being the licensor) has the final say on what Funimation does with the script. To be blunt: "It's their way or the highway!"
What Toei will or wont consent to is rather suspect. They would of had to of approved of 4Kids' alterations. If they will approve of that mockery to literature. They will approve pretty much anything. That was probably the most disgusting example of a translation ever created, and for the longest time. That was the fans only option.
I can't for see any rational explanation for never allowing "Okama", but allowing "queer" and "fairy". Those are actually words some reader may actually take offense to.

Do you really believe that they are writing their scripts, sending them back to Toei so they can approve every single line?

Even in the subtitled version of the that Zenny episode. Sanji says moss head. If the subtitles can say it, why not the dubs. Why would Toei be demanding the dub be changed, but not the subtitles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
#2. That is an editing problem that most likely got missed. There's your "Funimation screwup!"
Though, it keeps going back and forth in their subtitles. So, either they can't make up their minds, or FUNimation's editing staff never got past high school grammar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Spoiler for future arcs:

I gotta ask: would it be possible for FUNimation to have Nami say tangerines one time and oranges the next? Same should go for either saying berries or bellies (we're talking about the currency in One Piece).
Though, if they can say, "New Kama Land"; why not say "Okama"?

I'm willing to cut them some slack on some things, but when you are changing complete meaning of things. That's too far. At least FUnimation is minimal about that. I hardly ever care what they do with the dub work. Mostly, their subtitle work is strong. It's just silly when the dub say one thing, but the subtitles say another.

I was pretty upset when I heard FUNimation changed God Eneru to King in the dubs, back when Cartoon Network was showing it. Though, i was a bit shocked to hear that the DVD version of both subtitled and dubs say "God". That was just odd. At least they eventually got it right for the DVDs. King made even less sense than Kami.

Last edited by FoxxFireArt; 2010-09-03 at 18:28.
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 11:26   Link #71
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Exclamation FUNimation Licensed One Piece Episodes 206-263!

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-of-one-piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
The North American anime distributor Funimation announced its acquisition of the next block of One Piece for English dubbing on Friday. Senior Brand Manager Curtis Shaw spoke live during the Unofficial One Piece Podcast and gave several new details about the upcoming season.

Funimation picked up where it left off at episode 206 and purchased all the way to episode 263. Shaw mentioned that the next season will be in high-definition and in 16 by 9 aspect ratio. Funimation would like to keep the same format for releases; however, with the upgraded aspect ratio and HD content, a Blu-ray/DVD combo release maybe possible down the line. Funimation will also try to keep as much consistency as possible with regard to the voice acting, but actor schedules and location will affect casting.

Shaw gave a rough release date of Summer 2012.
Hopefully FUNimation will have the license to Episodes 264-325 , by the time Episode 263 is available dubbed .
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 15:15   Link #72
Jouten

Quote:
"Tranny way"
Jouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:49   Link #73
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

UPDATE: FUNimation has licensed One Piece Episodes 264-336 and One Piece Movie 10: Strong World.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ail-film-akira
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 00:19   Link #74
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Small little update on One Piece Season Four: First Voyage coming out on Tuesday...

So "Kokoro no Chizu" and "Mirai Kōkai" won't be dubbed due to copyright reasons. Now.... the end of that message seems abit odd.... meaning are they replacing the ending completely with something else?
Old 2012-08-10, 09:27   Link #75
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Now.... the end of that message seems abit odd.... meaning are they replacing the ending completely with something else?
Yes. They were unable to license Mirai Koukai, so the DVDs skip ahead to the fifteenth ending, Eternal Pose instead. Kind of disappointing, but not something we can really blame FUNi for. (I might have been more annoyed were it not for the fact that I never really cared for Mirai Koukai anyway, though...) With any luck, maybe they'll be able to resolve these issues later on and get the correct ending and dubbed opening on the 26-episode sets?

As for Kokoro no Chizu, it appears that they simply didn't have time to dub it in time for this release, and they seem to be implying that a dubbed version will eventually be included in Voyage Three.
Old 2012-08-10, 15:44   Link #76
Rainbowman

Quote:
Yes. They were unable to license Mirai Koukai, so the DVDs skip ahead to the fifteenth ending, Eternal Pose instead. Kind of disappointing, but not something we can really blame FUNi for. (I might have been more annoyed were it not for the fact that I never really cared for Mirai Koukai anyway, though...) With any luck, maybe they'll be able to resolve these issues later on and get the correct ending and dubbed opening on the 26-episode sets?

As for Kokoro no Chizu, it appears that they simply didn't have time to dub it in time for this release, and they seem to be implying that a dubbed version will eventually be included in Voyage Three.
Hope they dub "Brand New World" at the Eines Lobby arc.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 19:24   Link #77
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Well, I was really worried at how Foxy was gonna sound in the Funimation dub...

But now I'm not, cause I actually enjoy his english voice. Was surprised to see his laugh was actually kept. I think it's the first one they've kept~
Old 2013-04-15, 21:51   Link #78
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Soooo... One Piece will FINALLY be returning to US TV.... Funimation and Toonami announced that One Piece will join Toonami's line-up May 18th.... at episode 207.

http://t.co/eUt2XZQ4q5

I can somewhat see why this was... I mean... for a weekly thing, you can't exactly start at the beginning of One Piece and expect great ratings... as I can admit the first.... 2-3 arcs aren't for everyone. But this ALSO works out, since the Funimation dub of One Piece stopped airing on TV right at the end of Skypeia. Now... what this DOES mean is that they'll probably have "Kokoro no Chizu" dubbed by then~
Old 2013-04-16, 04:22   Link #79
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
I mean... for a weekly thing, you can't exactly start at the beginning of One Piece and expect great ratings... as I can admit the first.... 2-3 arcs aren't for everyone.
Why not, it worked just fine for the Japanese... Plus a bunch of other countries I'm too lazy to look up atm.

Honestly, I feel like this was a bad move. True, One Piece isn't technically a new series for Toonami, but it's been off the air for so long that plenty of the people tuning in now will either have never seen it before, or won't have watched it for so long that they'll have forgotten most of what happened before. True, they do have the older episodes available for streaming on their website, plus those One Piece 101-videos, but still, I'm afraid that this strategy will only serve to alienate potential newcomers, who otherwise might have been more willing to give the series a chance had it actually started at the beginning.
True, the first few arcs aren't all that great, but on the other hand, neither is the Davy Back Fight, which is where they'll be starting now... And that's followed by fillers... And while that is then followed by what I consider the greatest arc in One Piece, half of what makes Water 7/Enies Lobby such a fantastic arc in the first place is the character-development, and I'm not sure how well that would work out if one just jumps straight into that arc without having seen the rest of the Straw Hats' journey leading up to it.
Old 2013-04-18, 07:20   Link #80
Vajra
So Like A Rose

I'm just excited to have One Piece back on my television again, I can't wait for the dubs to air.
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote