AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 27 32.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 20.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.22%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-22, 05:47   Link #141
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The problem with this show (well, one of them anyway, since this show has several) is that Lucky Channel and the Shiraishi songs are such terrible notes to end on, they just leave a sour taste in my mouth. Someone needs to fire whoever made the decision to end each and every episode with Lucky Channel... [/ironic statement]

Other than that, this episode was strangely entertaining. I'm not saying it was funny, because it wasn't, but there was a certain charm to this particular ep. It's hard to explain, but it sort of felt like watching a repeat of one of your favourite Simpsons episodes from a decade ago for the ninth or tenth time... you don't exactly laugh at it, because you've seen it so many times before and all the jokes a familiar, but that familiarity is, for some reason, reassuring. But, no, this show isn't funny anymore, and hasn't been for the last six or so episodes. I generally judge anime comedies on how much they make me laugh - it's a simple criteria, but the genre really doesn't owe itself well to complexity. But, in all honesty, only the most exceptional comedies are still funny at this stage of their run... like, Ouran. Hell, even Hayate is starting to lose some of its luster.

Enough random ramblings. I guess, overall, this episode didn't feel like a complete waste of time, even though it wasn't all that funny, but Lucky Channel and Shirashi kinda ruin the experience.
Old 2007-08-22, 08:06   Link #142
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider View Post
Well, let me correct this one

That apparently is one of the famous Shigaraki-yaki ceramic tanuki statues, not a Totoro!
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BF%...A5%BD%E7%84%BC

I think these things are all too common (just like jizou by roadsides or something), so very few Japanese will take any notice of them anyway - but now come to think of it, what's with it in the yard of a Shinto priest's?
Well, they just don't care too much about anything unimportant maybe.

And, as for the possibility of some quotation from Totoro or any of Ghibli's works, I guess it is utterly impossible. Since Hayao Miyazaki believes and once openly said that 'anime is basically for children', and more than that, he abhors those otaku and their cultures (and I believe no one ever was brave enough to oppose him.)
Making a long story very short, even if Kyoani staffs are all Shiraishi-minded, it still will be extremely hard to show them up in their own show.
Ahaa guess this one i dunno..thanks for the info
Old 2007-08-22, 11:10   Link #143
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@marqafred (and darksider):
They're called Tanuki ... little raccoon-bear-like woodland kami with overblown testicles (fertility being a Good Thing, ya know). They're extremely pervasive icons kind of like norse trolls are in Norway.
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki
From the wiki:
Quote:
A common schoolyard song in Japan makes explicit reference to the tanuki's anatomy:

Tan Tan Tanuki no kintama wa,Kaze mo nai no ni,Bura bura (Roughly translated, this means "Tan-tan-tanuki's testicles, there isn't even any wind but still go swing-swing-swing".
Technically, Totoro was a different sprite, a kami-spirit version of a squirrel (or so my son's JP teacher thinks) hence the adoration of acorns by him and his minions. There's some talk that the name Totoro is a childish twist of the loanword totooru (troll), using troll in the ancient 'spirits of the forest' sense rather than the very recent D&D or WoW sense.

I vaguely recall a japanese commercial promoting plastic surgery that had Little Red Riding Hood dancing with some adult-sized woodland creatures who got boob-implants (LRRH executed a loli thing by just cupping where breasts would go later as she was probably about 9). The punchline was the appearance of the Tanuki who'd opted for surgically enhanced testicles the size of basketballs which prompted a laughing "omigod" double-take from the little girl.

Aren't japanese commercials .... well they leave my local commercials in the dust in regard to over-the-top zany. That's why I wish the subbers would just leave the commercials in sometimes

Here's a fair introduction to japanese woodland spirits and their connection to Shinto:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obake

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-22 at 11:28.
Old 2007-08-22, 13:17   Link #144
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aren't japanese commercials .... well they leave my local commercials in the dust in regard to over-the-top zany. That's why I wish the subbers would just leave the commercials in sometimes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obake
Yup, some Japanese commercials are superb. I'd also wish subbers leave the commercials, but most anime commercials are for.. other animes. It's the prime time dorama or variety show commercials that's wacky or cool. Good thing we can see a few of them on nico or youtube. CM sometimes have bigger influence than the show themselves... a recent CM for Shiseido Kabuki Shampoo with 6 new girls created a sensation; many young women started to imitate these girls.
Old 2007-08-22, 14:11   Link #145
bayoab

Quote:
The raw capturers usually cut out the commercials. Normally anything you see in the release was there in the original and anything missing wasn't there. I had been poking around for the lucky star commercials for ep 16 and such, but they don't seem to exist outside of video sites.
Old 2007-08-22, 14:21   Link #146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, I'm sure they just figure no one could possibly be interested in such things. Like AVPlaya says, 'youtube is your friend' as well. My son has acquired a superb knack for spotting hilarious foreign commercials (the europeans have a top notch irreverence in their commercials as well).

I won't cut American commercials completely out... the Fedex commercial of "Doom!" punched my funny button. The little G**co gecko is hilarious in that wistfully peering out his office window commercial ("hey, you can't park there...") Its just a shame more marketing doesn't pick up on "funny sells" because maybe I'd actually watch their commercials...

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-22 at 15:26.
Old 2007-08-22, 18:39   Link #147
Furudanuki

Quote:
They're called Tanuki ... little raccoon-bear-like woodland kami with overblown testicles...
NO! That is merely a myth that has grown up around scurrilous rumours originally propogated by those damn kitsune! A bunch of arrogant elitist snobs, the whole bloody lot of them. It is hardly my people's fault that while the kitsune "gentlemen" were at the head of the line for looks, they were so busy preening themselves that they failed to queue up in time when the O-kami were busy handing out certain other important attributes.

Old 2007-08-22, 19:50   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Back to your dark forest or I shall fling rocks at your attributes

Just send out the kitsune-femmes and we'll work it out
Old 2007-08-22, 22:08   Link #149
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Heh, finally got to watching ep.19. Gave it 9/10. Damn good work I say.

OP
-Its the same as always. LOL

Part A
-Who doesnt change their voice when talking to animals? Dogs, cats...fish(?) Doesnt matter. Kona has no right to say what she did to Kagamin. LOL
-Tsukasa's little question on the origin of the dog command "chin-chin" *LOLs BIG TIME* made things a bit uncomfortable for Kagamin and Miyuki-san. LOLs
-The Gun**m talk!! WTF!? Why am I getting bleeped!? G**dam, Gu**am, **ndam!!?
-Tsukasa and Horror: What Miyuki-san says does make sense...but its not completely true. Although I guess in my case it does apply.(in a way) At my age I'm still afraid of "Chucky", the killer doll thats alive but "Rozen Maiden"!? I F'ing love it. LOLs
-Yuu-chan's misunderstanding of Konata and Yui-nee's intelligence and her misled ideas of them being helpful. LOLs...poor Izumi-sensei too, even his own daughter and niece thinks him as being unreliable.
-Kogami Akira appears in the main ep!?:Not really...appears briefly when Ms.Kuroi strikes Konata...Was that Miss Kanata!?
-Izumi-sensei....needs to close the Bathroom door!! You have 2 High School girls in the house, THINK DAMMIT!!...I wonder if he was always like that or if he started that after Kanata's death?
-Konata's choice of clothing in the house. "What if Yuu-chan copies you!?" quote: Izumi-sensei. I think that her fan base would get MUCH larger, thats what.
-Kagamin acts out the "clumsy girl". WIN
-Ms.Kuroi: Life is catching up...(T^T)

B Part(Focused on Hiyorin, WIN!!)
-Hiyorin's faces...if you ever draw than...well, theres not much to say on this I guess. Its natural, that it, end of topic.
-Yuu-chan asks a hard-to-answer Q.
-Hiyorin and the lottery: Anyone else besides me and Hiyorin experience a similar event? Win a bit of cash on a lottery but soon after misfortune causes events draining the exact amount away from you?
-The "FALL": WTF!? Was the "transformation" necessary? It scared the crap out of me when Hiyorin changed...at first I thought that she flipped around to catch Yuu-chan and Minami's expressions to use in her drawings but the real reason makes more sense to me. I'd do the same...just, not "overdoing" it.
-Yuu-chan and Minami's take on art: Yeah, this is pretty much reality. Most common people cant notice the small details and changes in an artists' work.
-FMA cosplay: No reason for it, but WIN. Hiyorin did what we'd all do. LOLs
-Using anime names in public places: Who hasnt done this atleast once or alteast thought about it? Hm? Be honest, almost all of us have...havent we?
-Yuu-chan x Minami fantasies of Hiyorin: Aahh, so thats what Hiyorin sees. LOL...Yuu-chan MUST NEVER get taller than what she is now. As Hiyorin says, its against the world's natural order.
-Yuu-chan asks an even harder question to answer....ep. finishes. I wonder what Hiyorin answered?

LC
'bout time they got rid of Shiraishi. Will he back for the remainder of the series? Hopefully not.

ED
Shiraishi sings again...but atleast we didnt have to look at him. Also, in the caps they suggested that we enjoy it without sound. I've done so, thanx for the advice KyoAni

Parts that didnt mean much but I liked it so...
-Ms.Kuroi slept through an whole day...where did her Sunday go? (T^T)
-Yui-nee is reading FATE.
-The bird(?) hanging in Kona's room? Char?
-Yui-nee's excuse of not knowing how to anwer Yuu-chan's question.
-WHO IS THE Ryouou school idol? Statistically I'd guess it'd be Miyuki-san...what do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The problem with this show (well, one of them anyway, since this show has several) is that Lucky Channel and the Shiraishi songs are such terrible notes to end on, they just leave a sour taste in my mouth. Someone needs to fire whoever made the decision to end each and every episode with Lucky Channel... [/ironic statement]
Ah, another person who thinks like me...about Shiraishi, I personally like LC, just without Shiraishi. LOLs

Last edited by shinku no kage; 2007-08-22 at 22:28.
Old 2007-08-23, 00:29   Link #150
Max10

AFK Concerns

Just saw the AFK sub. Now, I'm already paranoid enough about translations, though I'm by no means an expert on the language. From the Lum fan in Otaku no video to the latter Animego UY subs, I've learned to be suspicious. It's just... the AFK Haruhi subs are the only ones I've seen and... now I wonder. Look at Tsukasa's question at the beginning of this episode. I was aware of the "turn on factor" for "moe" substitution and was OK with it, but this "adaptation" for a joke that the higher ups didn't think us English speakers had the time or inclination to look up is just... disturbing. This almost 4kids territory. I guess my question, to anyone who's seen multiple subs or is just familiar with the original Japanese meaning, is, has anyone else noticed this type of falsification in other episodes? Should I go back and start over with another group?
Old 2007-08-23, 01:38   Link #151
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max10 View Post
Just saw the AFK sub. Now, I'm already paranoid enough about translations, though I'm by no means an expert on the language. From the Lum fan in Otaku no video to the latter Animego UY subs, I've learned to be suspicious. It's just... the AFK Haruhi subs are the only ones I've seen and... now I wonder. Look at Tsukasa's question at the beginning of this episode. I was aware of the "turn on factor" for "moe" substitution and was OK with it, but this "adaptation" for a joke that the higher ups didn't think us English speakers had the time or inclination to look up is just... disturbing. This almost 4kids territory. I guess my question, to anyone who's seen multiple subs or is just familiar with the original Japanese meaning, is, has anyone else noticed this type of falsification in other episodes? Should I go back and start over with another group?
If so, Guerrand is doing great so far. They lack the OP lyrics, but it's not like we haven't seen that twenty times already. The only thing stopping most people is the usual subbing group loyalty/organization.
Old 2007-08-23, 01:47   Link #152
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Yeah after seeing that I've decided to drop AFK.
Old 2007-08-23, 02:33   Link #153
bayoab

Quote:
It's just... the AFK Haruhi subs are the only ones I've seen and... now I wonder. Look at Tsukasa's question at the beginning of this episode. I was aware of the "turn on factor" for "moe" substitution and was OK with it, but this "adaptation" for a joke that the higher ups didn't think us English speakers had the time or inclination to look up is just... disturbing. This almost 4kids territory. I guess my question, to anyone who's seen multiple subs or is just familiar with the original Japanese meaning, is, has anyone else noticed this type of falsification in other episodes? Should I go back and start over with another group?
Translation challenge: Translate that joke regarding dogs including Miyuki's comment into an English sub. Difficulty: You are not allowed to use notes, and you may only modify the origin country in Miyuki's line. Go!

That said, where are you going to look it up? Urbandictionary doesn't have it. Google only has it because of Jaalin's post. (Chinchin dog command was the search. If you really cared, you can put it together off multiple links on multiple pages under the default settings.) Wikipedia has it in Japanese, but not in English.
(Most people don't even look on google anymore, they just ask in the first net chat device they can find.)

There was no falsification. The English sub was an attempt to be accurate to the meaning of the Japanese. It was not literal and was not as dirty (IMO) as the original. Whether it was good or not is your opinion. There was no intention to make the joke less dirty.

That all said, these types of changes are very rare. Rare means, at most, once every 5 episodes.

(By the way, this is not even close to what 4kids does. 4kids intentionally tries to change the meaning.)

(Note: This post does not imply that I agree with how it was handled.)
Old 2007-08-23, 03:10   Link #154
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Just saw the AFK sub. Now, I'm already paranoid enough about translations, though I'm by no means an expert on the language. From the Lum fan in Otaku no video to the latter Animego UY subs, I've learned to be suspicious.
I'm suspicious in general until I see that the translator has done some good work.

Quote:
It's just... the AFK Haruhi subs are the only ones I've seen and... now I wonder. Look at Tsukasa's question at the beginning of this episode. I was aware of the "turn on factor" for "moe" substitution and was OK with it, but this "adaptation" for a joke that the higher ups didn't think us English speakers had the time or inclination to look up is just... disturbing.
You know... the interesting thing about humor is that having to look it up or having it explained to you often makes it not funny anymore. If you want to watch a show with subtitles and understand what's going on, a.f.k. does a pretty good job. I don't know about you, but most people will want to watch an episode without wanting to go on a treasure hunt every 5 minutes because things weren't fully translated into coherent English but instead were riddled with notes and everything. If you really want to know what they are saying in Japanese, go learn Japanese or ask someone who knows Japanese. Anime subtitles are not here to teach you Japanese. If you think you can learn Japanese solely from subtitles then you are sorely mistaken.

Quote:
This almost 4kids territory. I guess my question, to anyone who's seen multiple subs or is just familiar with the original Japanese meaning, is, has anyone else noticed this type of falsification in other episodes? Should I go back and start over with another group?
Strato takes a few liberties here and there which I might not like, but overall he does a pretty good job. Besides, he is one of the few translators who actually understand the original meaning of stuff he's translating.
Old 2007-08-23, 03:34   Link #155
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I thought he pulled the chinchin/wiener/hot dog double-entendre very well. It may have upset the purists but, hey, the unintentional innuendo is still here.

EDIT:

As a comparison, it did come smoother than the two egg/one egg twins bit in one of the first episodes.

Last edited by Sheba; 2007-08-23 at 08:32.
Old 2007-08-23, 11:34   Link #156
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I thought he pulled the chinchin/wiener/hot dog double-entendre very well. It may have upset the purists but, hey, the unintentional innuendo is still here.
I'm wondering if he should've chosen something else... such as why dachshunds are called wiener dogs.
(to keep the 'dog' theme, because jumping to 'hot dogs' seems too far a reach)

Old 2007-08-23, 12:38   Link #157
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, this really isn't the "back seat translation critique" thread

If you don't like what a.f.k. is doing, there's other fish out there. a.f.k. has a set of translation principles and they are following them pretty consistently. For the purposes of most people, they're quite acceptable and probably better than whatever the "professionals" will do when L*S gets the R1 treatment release. So far there've only been about 4 or 5 instances where *I* might have chosen differently in translating and the rest are well within the matrix of "how would this be said casually in english".
Old 2007-08-24, 07:27   Link #158
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
I vaguely recall a japanese commercial promoting plastic surgery that had Little Red Riding Hood dancing with some adult-sized woodland creatures who got boob-implants (LRRH executed a loli thing by just cupping where breasts would go later as she was probably about 9). The punchline was the appearance of the Tanuki who'd opted for surgically enhanced testicles the size of basketballs which prompted a laughing "omigod" double-take from the little girl.
I've definitely seen an animated gif of that somewhere..i'll see if i can track it down
Old 2007-08-24, 15:07   Link #159
Calawain
Gaijin

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a.f.k's translation. I think they handled the chin-chin joke extremely well, it held similar meaning and comic effect. When I watched the Guerrand sub of it I had no idea what the hell they were talking about, and I didn't until I came and read it here. Most people that watch fansubs don't browse through discussion boards or comb through wikipedia everytime they don't understand something. So having the type of sub that a.f.k. does available is good. If you don't like that, there's always the Guerrand type. It's a free market system in a way, there's two choices and you pick the one you prefer. Complaining about the other one is silly and a bit elitist.
Old 2007-08-24, 15:07   Link #160
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaziek View Post
I've definitely seen an animated gif of that somewhere..i'll see if i can track it down
I also remembered the animated gif... I did some searching, and lo and behold, I found the entire commercial.
Spoiler for may be offensive:

All I can think of in response is... 0_o