AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-15, 15:34   Link #81
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Honey & Clover I&II by a longshot. Though it focused more on the drama and the coming to age aspect the Romance is top notch. It actually felt real.

On the harem anime thing actually in most of them it was never about choosing, but the main characters coming to terms with their feelings. I don't get why love doesn't have anything to do with it.

Btw KGNE ain't that special it's just your everyday soap opera.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 15:41   Link #82
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Maria-sama ga Miteru is just so utterly beautiful~ Not technically a romance, but god, it takes so much into consideration... lets just say there needs to be a romance this good.

REC probably tops the list for me, though, as far as actualy romance shows go. It captures the feel of a romantic-comedy movie in the same sort of length as one (around 90 minutes, and that's including op and ed) but, you know, a hundred times better than any romantic comedy XD. Most awesome character realtions evar.

Me needs to see HandC and well as more of Kare Kano >_>
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 17:04   Link #83
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
On the harem anime thing actually in most of them it was never about choosing, but the main characters coming to terms with their feelings. I don't get why love doesn't have anything to do with it.

Love isnt about who to pick, true love you wont be able to pick, sometimes you get the girl or she likes somebody else, and it takes time,hardship and compatibility of the characters and the situations, you cant walk through an anime without somebody to criticize, plus if all the girl would like somebody who is nice, that doesnt make the male protagonist "nice", in the end he ends up as a jerk and a totally unrealistical dream kind of thought. Its like throwing gold in the streets and a girl would like him.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 17:11   Link #84
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
Love isnt about who to pick, true love you wont be able to pick, sometimes you get the girl or she likes somebody else, and it takes time,hardship and compatibility of the characters and the situations, you cant walk through an anime without somebody to criticize, plus if all the girl would like somebody who is nice, that doesnt make the male protagonist "nice", in the end he ends up as a jerk and a totally unrealistical dream kind of thought. Its like throwing gold in the streets and a girl would like him.
I don't really get your point here. In most harem anime the lead does love the other. It's just most of the time he doesn't know it yet. If it was as you say it the Harem lead would go for the easy pick, but most of the time he goes for the hard to get girls.

So yeah saying that love in harem anime isn't true love then what makes the love in other anime so special?
Old 2007-11-15, 17:35   Link #85
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
I don't really get your point here. In most harem anime the lead does love the other. It's just most of the time he doesn't know it yet. If it was as you say it the Harem lead would go for the easy pick, but most of the time he goes for the hard to get girls.

So yeah saying that love in harem anime isn't true love then what makes the love in other anime so special?
Because its more realistic situation, harem is just a love dream for guys. Even if the girls are hard to get, he still gets them in the end, its just too fake and pre planned,as if they just want to stretched it or make it a little fun. Even girls harem are fake.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 05:47   Link #86
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
Because its more realistic situation, harem is just a love dream for guys. Even if the girls are hard to get, he still gets them in the end, its just too fake and pre planned,as if they just want to stretched it or make it a little fun. Even girls harem are fake.
Realistic situations? Well next to H&C I haven't really seen "realistic romance" honestly. And hell the situations in H&C ain't all that common either. When was there a realistic situation in anime? If we talk about fake girls pretty much all the anime girls behave fake. It's rather a problem that has to do with anime then Harem...Just so you know one guy even if he isn't the hottest guy around can attract the attention of multiple girls, but that's beside the point.

Above all if it's more realistic or not has nothing to do if the love is real.
Old 2007-11-16, 14:14   Link #87
Ultenth

Quote:
Realistic situations? Well next to H&C I haven't really seen "realistic romance" honestly. And hell the situations in H&C ain't all that common either. When was there a realistic situation in anime? If we talk about fake girls pretty much all the anime girls behave fake. It's rather a problem that has to do with anime then Harem...Just so you know one guy even if he isn't the hottest guy around can attract the attention of multiple girls, but that's beside the point.

Above all if it's more realistic or not has nothing to do if the love is real.
Realism isn't required for a romance to be good, but there are a few out there that are such as Bokura Ga Ita. Overall for actual romance I generally find harem falling flat due to the nature of all the women to focus all their attentions on the main character and be completely loyal to him even if he doesn't choose them. In reality we know many of them would just move on and find another guy that truely loves them, which is what I find annoying about harems. There is no way all those girls would wait around for one guy and not find someone else, and because of that the romance doesn't seem just unrealistic, but outright fake and more of a guys fantasy or wet dream than a real romance.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 04:50   Link #88
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Other than my previous favorite I would say Romeo & Juliet the ambience the visuals and timeless love story blew me away
Old 2007-11-17, 14:25   Link #89
Trisha
Kaname-sama

Nana
Peach girl
aishiteruze baby
bokura ga ita
paradise kiss
marmalade boy
Trisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 16:03   Link #90
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
The best romance anime:

1. Otome Wa Boku Ni Koishiteru- this fluffy romantic comedy is so cute, that it warms your heart. I liked the theme of a crossdresser in a all-girls Catholic School. Unlike those idiotic male protagonists of other harem anime, Mizuho is not annoying at all, nor does he look like an idiot. I find that Mizuho is cool, has a kind personality and possesses convincing charisma

2. Fate/Stay Night (it's other genre is fantasy) but is based on a fantasy dating sim. At first I find Shiro's character annoying, but I've come to like his relationship with Saber.

3. I My Me Strawberry Eggs- I find that a girl's awkward lesbian feelings for her teacher makes for good romantic tension as well as an interesting storyline. Hibiki's lust for a 14-year-old student also adds to the romantic tension

4. Canvas 2- I like this anime in spite of that usual idiotic male protagonist, because of Elise Housen's characterization and her unique unrequited crush on him. It includes a complicated love triangle between a male teacher, a female teacher and one female student.

5. Chobits- an entertaining sweet romance anime that explores the complexities of a relationship between a human and an android.

6. Ai Yori Aoshi- I like it for being both romantic and funny.

7. Tsukihime- it was a good show until the last episode. I can't forgive those bastards
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 06:32   Link #91
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Chobits-Touching relationship between human and android

Boys Be- First romance anime i watch and probably the best

Peach Girl-i thought it was rather sweet

I watch quite an amount of romance animes but these 3 are the only ones that i really like.Others are just predictable
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 07:52   Link #92
Disaresta

Quote:
Honey & Clover I&II by a longshot. Though it focused more on the drama and the coming to age aspect the Romance is top notch. It actually felt real.

Agreed. Every H&C episode leaves me with mixed feelings.
Disaresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 09:11   Link #93
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Suzuka - just finished watching it, one of my favs, just a shame suzuka is kinda annoying heh

Full Moon o Sagashite - first romance one i watched, still one of my favs

Seen a few others as well but looking for another anime similar to Suzuka, without the tension every episode between Yamato and Suzuka heh.
Old 2007-11-20, 03:50   Link #94
textureheap

To me a true romance requires close interaction between the main characters, thus anime like Full Moon falls a little short, you only see the girl get the guy in the last few seconds of the last scene, even the special that followed didn't show anything of the guy.

My #1 would be Kodocha, *cover your eyes* the english dub version. The scenes showing interaction between Sana and Akito are some of the most romantic I've yet seen. Too bad the rest of the animation falls well short, I really wish they had made this more focused on those two. Normally I can't abide dubs, but the sub version didn't speak to me at all, I wouldn't have even tried watching this series, but I found the first episode in the english dub by accident on youtube and was totally sold, the dub was exceptional and conveyed some serious attitude, I bought all the available DVDs and have enjoyed it very much.

Otherwise the runner ups:
Emma - A Victorian Romance
Ai Yori Aoshi
Lovely Complex
Slow Step
Kanon (both versions are well worth watching)
Lamune
Midori No Hibi
Video Girl Ai
Welcome to the NHK!

Of course Rozen Maiden might qualify on some level. School Days might have been among the best, but it turned quickly into the worst anime ever, also just beating out Evangelion for the worst ending. Would mention ef, but I have no idea where the story is going now, I somehow doubt the producers do either, next maybe they'll have a baby episode like Blue Drop.

Now I think I'm gonna go check out:
Suzuka
Hana yori Dango
Mahoraba Heartful Days
KGNE

Had them for ages, so many to watch, so little time.
textureheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 03:15   Link #95
Slighted

I don't know why more people don't mention Nana, it is seriously a good love story
Slighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 08:07   Link #96
rcoltsaaeln

Quote:

Oho, I've watched my fair share of soap operas and in my opinion KGNE is far superior. A lot of them plod on and on, and hardly anything happens. The KGNE animation may be shoddy but the pacing is top notch, it had a great ED, and that show really put my emotions through the wringer. I had to take a break after the first few episodes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Real means different things to different people. To some it's "yeah, this could happen to me too". To others it's "if this happened to me, this is how I might react". KGNE, I think, falls in the latter category, H&C in the former.

Hmm. Ok, back on topic. Actually, Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien was the first anime to spring to mind when I saw the topic, heh.

1. Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu

It was mentioned briefly before in the thread but if you're looking for a short romantic SF-ish piece this is it. Far superior to Saikano, which achieved half the angst with twice the length. Bonfire scene, the whole thing with the handphones -two thumbs up

2. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noburu Sora

Nice mix of humour and angst. Also, nice music.

3. KGNE

I've said enough. Go and watch it if you haven't already.

4. Honey & Clover I

H&C I does have some excellent moments, especially with Mayama/(that potter girl). H&C II, less so.

5. REC

Fluffy, cute romance. Peppy OP. The premise is a little - well, unbelievable, but it's a good show anyway

As for harem animes, I watched and liked Shuffle, Da Capo and Canvas 2, but I'm aware some people don't classify these as romance.
Old 2007-11-23, 14:38   Link #97
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoltsaaeln View Post
As for harem animes, I watched and liked Shuffle, Da Capo and Canvas 2, but I'm aware some people don't classify these as romance.
I think everyone classifies these as romance That said, i am ready to gnaw on anyone who classifies Canvas 2 as harem. While Suffle and Da Capo are indeed harem animes, Canvas most certainly is not.
Old 2007-11-23, 20:14   Link #98
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I think everyone classifies these as romance That said, i am ready to gnaw on anyone who classifies Canvas 2 as harem. While Suffle and Da Capo are indeed harem animes, Canvas most certainly is not.
Actually, Canvas 2 may be a harem anime perhaps more or less. In Canvas 2, there are three girls who are interested in Hiroki Kamikura, but he also spent a bit of time with each girl, especially the ones who didn't seem attracted to him. Remember the episode where Kamikura goes on a lunch date with the principal? Remember the episode where he helped Tomoko Fujinami?
Old 2007-11-24, 16:08   Link #99
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok View Post
Actually, Canvas 2 may be a harem anime perhaps more or less. In Canvas 2, there are three girls who are interested in Hiroki Kamikura, but he also spent a bit of time with each girl, especially the ones who didn't seem attracted to him. Remember the episode where Kamikura goes on a lunch date with the principal? Remember the episode where he helped Tomoko Fujinami?
No, i don't think it classifies as harem at all. Just because he has interactions with several females does not make it a harem in any way. You say yourself he interacted with several girls that were not interested in him - but the girls being interested in him in this case is the exact requirement for it to be a harem. Everyday life encounters and interactions do not a harem make, else my everyday life is a harem, because i happen to interact with several females.

Three girls interested in him? I don't think there are more than two
Spoiler for Canvas 2 minor spoilers:

Though this wouldn't be the first time i see a show labeled as harem simply because it is high on the female population. When one gets to see even shows like Mahoraba being labeled as harem every now and then, i can't help but wonder how easily the term is being tossed around.
Old 2007-11-24, 18:02   Link #100
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post

Three girls interested in him? I don't think there are more than two
Spoiler for Canvas 2 minor spoilers:

Actually, Hagino is slightly interested in him, although not as much as Kiri or Elis are.
Spoiler for "Hagino's interest:

Tags
romance, anime