AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Rozen Maiden

Notices

View Poll Results: Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 3 15.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 40.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 5.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-25, 16:35   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-07-26, 00:33   Link #2
Requiem-x
The slacking one

I believe we can officially say this adaptation is great.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2013-07-26, 01:22   Link #3
Horse

Shinku's yellow/gold eyebrows were seriously freaking me out at the start of the episode. Good thing they went back to normal after she woke up. Why did they tho? I don't recall if that was ever a point in the mango. Maybe it's a coloring mistake and it gets fixed for BD. Speaking of Shinku's awakening, I thought it was far more effective and magical here than the stretched out vocal BGM last time.

I'm missing the comedy timing from the first series though. Everything's so serious here despite them using super deformed art. There's so much silence and no quirkiness in the music when it does appear (except for that 1 second before shopping). :/

I was totally expecting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7pbZidilhw to play after Shinku requested a grand tour of Jun's place.

... then again I remember most reviewers said the first series had no idea what it was doing with its comedy and drama. Maybe it's just me having 'bad taste' for actually liking it.

Other than that, I enjoyed this episode like the 2 before it.

Last edited by Horse; 2013-07-26 at 01:34.
Old 2013-07-26, 02:08   Link #4
StainGlass

Four episodes in (or technically 3) and we're only at the first part of Tale 4 in the manga?
I wanted to like this episode more (finally Shinku is awake!), but wow, it was dead. This is probably a combination of the pacing and lack of music. It's a stark contrast from Nomad's series for sure. Just to make it clear, I do like slow paced series, but I don't feel it's working here for me.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-07-26, 04:07   Link #5
Subayai

The pace is slow but I like it. So far I'm liking this series as much as the first one, but for different reasons. This one is more serious but that fits very well with Jun's present situation.

In the first series, Jun's house was very lively with all the dolls and Jun and Nori and it was appropriate to have lots of comedy there. In this series, Jun lives alone and his life sucks and there's only Shinku (so far at least), so it is fitting to have a more serious atmosphere and less comedy.

Also, Saitou-san is super cute here, even more than how I remember her from the manga.

The icing on the cake was the preview. Suigintou, Megu and THAT scene! It is one of my favorite scenes from the first manga. I wondered if it was just me but then I saw Requiem-x's comment and thought "Oh, so somebody else liked it too". That is great. I thought maybe they wouldn't animate it because this is an adaptation of the second manga but I'm soooo pumped for the next episode right now.
Old 2013-07-26, 05:07   Link #6
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Compared to the last playful iteration or adaptation of Rozen Maiden, this series has this very heavy atmosphere, it was pretty depressing. I definitely like this as the main character isn't a bratty kid any more.
Old 2013-07-26, 07:09   Link #7
Traece
:cool:

This episode... I can only describe it as complete and pure 'love'.

There's so much I love about this show over the previous seasons I can't even begin to describe it. I'm sure that things will take their dramatic turn as they always will, but this buildup is beyond fantastic. Watching Shinku explore was such a pleasure, and seeing this relationship between her and the older Jun is just amazing. He's so much more enjoyable to watch than the younger Jun. Seeing him with Saito in the fabric section was just icing on a cake of pure bliss.

Good Rozen Maiden episodes... I missed you!
Old 2013-07-26, 09:28   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was a pleasure seeing Jun and Shinku interact. Shinku hasn't changed one bit. Jun has gotten a lot more cheerful ever since Shinku entered his life, which is nice to see. Too bad these peaceful days are not going to last.
Old 2013-07-26, 10:07   Link #9
Witch of Uncertainty

Damn it, Kirakishou is super-creepy. Nice episode.
Hoping for some action soon, though.
Old 2013-07-26, 15:53   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
Damn it, Kirakishou is super-creepy. Nice episode.
Kira likes strawberry does that make her less creepy?
Old 2013-07-26, 17:01   Link #11
HandofFate

haha started watching it now, I find it hilarious, no matter what age or dimension, Jun can't resist peeping under Shinku's dress.
Old 2013-07-26, 18:10   Link #12
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
At least this Jun is getting more sociable and interacting with others. Even if others only really includes Shinku and Saitou. Have to say he showed more energy when talking to Saitou about design possibilities than at any other point in the series. Certainly hasn't lost that spark despite being so negative for a long time.
Old 2013-07-26, 18:24   Link #13
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

So not including the first episode, one chapter covers an episode. Is there going to be season 2?
Old 2013-07-26, 18:46   Link #14
StainGlass

Would hope so. This arc ends at Tale 25, I'm not sure they'll even make it to that let alone the arc after it. The manga is currently into it's 60's of Tales and still ongoing.
Old 2013-07-26, 20:28   Link #15
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Kira likes strawberry does that make her less creepy?
Mmm, I guess.
Old 2013-07-27, 05:31   Link #16
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
Nice episode.
In a nutshell, this sums up my own take on the episode.

It was good to spend an episode on Adult!Jun and Shinku becoming acquainted with each other. It's interesting to note the differences (and similarities) between their relationship and the one between Teenage!Jun and Shinku.

And Jun's relationship with Saitou is developing at a nice, steady pace. Many already suspected Saitou of having something to do with Rozen Maiden dolls, and her picking up fabric in this episode seems to lean towards that. OTOH, this episode also makes it known that Rozen Maidens aren't supposed to exist in Adult!Jun's world, so that throws a bit of doubt on such suspicions.

I do like what a big difference "Wind" vs. "Do Not Wind" makes. That adds a real sense of gravitas and intrigue to the whole thing. Kind of like Alice choosing whether or not to go down the rabbit hole, or someone choosing to take the blue pill or the red pill in the Matrix movies.

All of the above being said, I do miss seeing the other Rozen Maidens and Rozen Maiden battles. So I also hope we won't have to wait too much longer for some of that at least.

One other thing - I have to really wonder why they bothered doing the first episode the way they did. Given the careful, meticulous plot development since then, it's not like viewers would have been lost without it. This episode just flatout tells us the most plot relevant aspects of that first episode (i.e. that two of the Rozen Maidens have already been wiped out). Heck, I think a complete newcomer to the Rozen Maiden world would not feel lost jumping in right at Episode 2 and watching on from there. They obviously wouldn't have all the knowledge of a more seasoned viewer and/or manga reader, but there's nothing this show brings to the fore without having it explained/presented well.
Old 2013-07-27, 06:11   Link #17
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One other thing - I have to really wonder why they bothered doing the first episode the way they did. Given the careful, meticulous plot development since then, it's not like viewers would have been lost without it. This episode just flatout tells us the most plot relevant aspects of that first episode (i.e. that two of the Rozen Maidens have already been wiped out). Heck, I think a complete newcomer to the Rozen Maiden world would not feel lost jumping in right at Episode 2 and watching on from there. They obviously wouldn't have all the knowledge of a more seasoned viewer and/or manga reader, but there's nothing this show brings to the fore without having it explained/presented well.
This is a good point, actually.

They've spent so much time subtly doing exposition about the previous seasons to fill in the gaps that it makes you wonder why they even bothered doing so in the first place. With that extra episode they easily could have fit in more exposition about the previous seasons, or even done "just the basics" for recap in a more appropriate style for this series, and then left this massive amount of additional recap information to their actual purposes.

With this, I almost wonder if they got in twelve episodes and realized that they didn't even need the thirteenth. Redundancies like this and strange decisions like that recap make you wonder just how many episodes they actually will use. I can't help but think that we'll be seeing more than 13, as is a common expectation from a lot of users.
Old 2013-07-27, 08:00   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It was a pleasure seeing Jun and Shinku interact. Shinku hasn't changed one bit. Jun has gotten a lot more cheerful ever since Shinku entered his life, which is nice to see. Too bad these peaceful days are not going to last.
I agree with almost everything you said, and for a multitude of reasons this is easily my favorite RM to date. But I sure disagree that Shinku hasn't changed "one bit". I found her to be much more subdued, and I would describe her general mood as "fatalistic". It matches the mood of the series perfectly.
Old 2013-07-27, 08:08   Link #19
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I agree with almost everything you said, and for a multitude of reasons this is easily my favorite RM to date. But I sure disagree that Shinku hasn't changed "one bit". I found her to be much more subdued, and I would describe her general mood as "fatalistic". It matches the mood of the series perfectly.
Indeed. Shinku is very different from previous seasons. Personally, I think her change in tone is for the worse. I would expect her to be more like season 1 Shinku now than ever before, since she's faced with what is essentially a stranger again. Her voice lacks that tinge of authority I liked. I had hoped that it wouldn't be limited to the recap, but unfortunately it seems to be intentional. That's normal speech, though. When she's exerting authority she certainly does retain that tone. Though, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that she's become a bit nicer in all this time. It's hard to decide on this, but I do miss it.
Old 2013-07-27, 08:20   Link #20
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In the previous ones you don't really get to appreciate the sense of scale for the dolls with all the action and kid Jun. Now that he's an adult, you really get to see and appreciate how small and potentially fragile the dolls are.

But the most apparent is that Jun smiles A LOT more now, heralding back to the time when we saw how much of an effect Shinku and the dolls had on his other self. Meaning, perhaps, it's not too late to decide and to change.
Closed Thread