AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-07-20, 22:59   Link #1
TJR

Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate

A complete PSP remake of Tactics Ogre, featuring new graphics, new game systems, and an expanded story. Direction by Hiroshi Minagawa, design by original creator Yasumi Matsuno, character illustrations by Akihiko Yoshida and Tsubasa Masao (ZoE2, Metal Gear series).

No word yet on whether this is an in-house Square Enix project, but the visual effects resemble Jiro Mifune's (FFT, Vagrant Story, FFXII, FFT A2) work.

I guess this fulfills what fans were anticipating eight years ago, when Matsuno and the Ogre series had been reunited.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 23:06   Link #2
FateAnomaly

Woot! This is the most exciting news i have heard in a while.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 23:21   Link #3
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Is this a remake of "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together", which was released on the SNES and PS1?
Old 2010-07-20, 23:30   Link #4
FateAnomaly

I would assume that is the case since there is only 1 tactics ogre as far as i know.
Old 2010-07-20, 23:42   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I would assume that is the case since there is only 1 tactics ogre as far as i know.
"Tactics Ogre:Let Us Cling Together" is part of the "Ogre Battle" series. There was also a "Tactics Ogre:The Knight Of Lodis" that was released for the gameboy advance, hence the reason why I asked my question for clarification purposes.
Old 2010-07-20, 23:47   Link #6
FateAnomaly

Ah i didn't know there is a Tactics Ogre:The Knight Of Lodis game. Never really bothered with gba news. Sorry about that.
Old 2010-07-20, 23:49   Link #7
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Here's some more info on it. Looks like they're calling it "Wheel of Fortune" though (lol). Bad name choices aside, I couldn't be more excited. Seems like they're putting a lot of work into this...even more than the FFT remake, which I thought was already a phenomenal job.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 00:01   Link #8
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Ah i didn't know there is a Tactics Ogre:The Knight Of Lodis game. Never really bothered with gba news. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. I was just wondering, that's all .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Here's some more info on it. Looks like they're calling it "Wheel of Fortune" though (lol). Bad name choices aside, I couldn't be more excited. Seems like they're putting a lot of work into this...even more than the FFT remake, which I thought was already a phenomenal job.
Thanks for the link . I LOVED the original Tactics Ogre:LUCT, so I'm absolutely delighted to know that this "rebuild" is in the works. The original truly was a masterpiece in the realm of strategy RPG's. So many options and tactics one could employ throughout each battle. It really made the player think a lot before making their move.
Old 2010-07-21, 02:06   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I've played both, and indeed the knight of Lodis was much easier (mainly because of the secret characters, weapons and skills), but it was still very entertaining. Looking forward to this one, should make a fine addition to my collection
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 04:11   Link #10
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Wow I'm excited. I love Tactics Ogre. The storylines are really nice too. I think Deneb's gonna be in this one xD

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 05:55   Link #11
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Finally a reason to buy a PSP?! Omg... I'm such an Ogre Battle whore... Bring back the series in full force I beg of you!!! T_T
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 18:43   Link #12
Iron Maw
Banned

More info here From Duckroll at NoeGAF:
Quote:
OH MY GOD

Director: Hiroshi Minagawa
Game Design: Yasumi Matsuno
Character Design: Akihiko Yoshida, Tsubasa Masao
Music: Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata

Published by Square Enix

Edit1: This is a remake of the original TO, and the new story scenarios and characters are written by Matsuno. Matsuno is personally revising the original script and in charge of all story and gameplay changes and improvements.

Edit2: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/21/flying_get/

Here are a few points from the FF Reunion summary:

- Even though it may look like the game's visuals haven't changed much, they have been improved over the original. They're trying to keep the Super Famicom-like look of the game.

- They'd actually be proud if people would say that it's the same as the original.

- You can change the angle to view the action from above.

- The height-based play and other basic elements of the original remain in tact.

- They're adding a number of new elements for the game parts and battle parts. The battles will be greatly changed.

- The game will have a variety of new skill-based gameplay features.

- There will be new classes.

- The battle maps character count has increased from the 10 vs 10 of the original to 12 on your side vs 18 on the enemy side, for a total of 30 characters on screen.

- This is not a "Tactics Ogre Perfect Version," but a "rebuilding" of Tactics Ogre. It doesn't fit within the framework of a "remake."

- You won't be able to use your strategies from the original for the sequel.

The magazine also says that the game is being re-imagined under the basis of "If you developed and played Tactics Ogre in this day and age, it would be like this." There will be a number of new gameplay systems.
Scans:

Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 22:35   Link #13
FateAnomaly

I am most excited about the use 12 characters in the battle line. With so many unique characters i always wanted field more especially when 4 slots are taken by the sisters.
Old 2010-07-22, 00:35   Link #14
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Here's some more info on it. Looks like they're calling it "Wheel of Fortune" though (lol).
No Queen reference in the subtitle? Matsuno, I am disappoint.

Also kind of wish it was a new Ogre Battle-style game, but I'll take what I can get. And lol at Zaebos, he's even uglier than he was before!
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 11:46   Link #15
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
No Queen reference in the subtitle? Matsuno, I am disappoint.
Actually, the western release will still have the subtitle "Let Us Cling Together", according to SE's announcement today.
Old 2010-07-22, 18:39   Link #16
Red Shoulder
BirdKnight

Hopefully this means they plan to make some more entries in the Ogre Battle series in the future. Anyways, this is one of my all time favorite games so I'll definitely be picking it up.

Red Shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 18:59   Link #17
Iron Maw
Banned

US site and Press Release are now up:

Quote:
THE TRUE VISION IS FINALLY REALIZED; SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES
TACTICS OGRE: LET US CLING TOGETHER

Dream Team of Developers Reunites to Bring the Beloved Strategy RPG to the PSP System

LOS ANGELES (July 21, 2010) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today the upcoming release of TACTICS OGRE™: Let Us Cling Together™, a PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system reinvention of the strategy RPG. The timing of the release will be announced at a future date.

TACTICS OGRE is one of the most beloved strategy RPG titles of all time, with the game being the only one to place in the Japanese gaming magazine Weekly Famitsu’s “Top 20 games voted by readers” for 14 years running.

Having also worked on such hit titles as FINAL FANTASY TACTICS®, VAGRANT STORY® and FINAL FANTASY® XII, key members of the original TACTICS OGRE development team have reformed to deliver the ultimate version of this definitive strategy RPG experience. Hiroshi Minagawa (Director), Akihiko Yoshida (Character Design), Yasumi Matsuno (Game Design), Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (Composers) are pleased to return to TACTICS OGRE and to revitalize their masterpiece for a new format and era – created with the simple idea – “how TACTICS OGRE would be if it was developed and played now.”

TACTICS OGRE: Let Us Cling Together, is being reborn from the ground up, with reworked visuals and effects, a re-arranged soundtrack by the original composers, new character growth mechanics and a new Wheel of Fortune system that adds even more replay value to the game.

For more information about TACTICS OGRE please visit the official website at http://www.tacticsogregame.com.

Story:

Long ago,
Power was everything.
It was a time called Xytegenia,
where metal, and evil that was enshrouded in darkness was in control.

Features:

• From the creators of FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, VAGRANT STORY and FINAL FANTASY XII. The original TACTICS OGRE development team reform to revitalize their iconic title.
• Tactical, turn-based battles are brought to life with stunning graphics, sounds and animation.
• New 3D maps that enhance the concept of height and improved battle engine, offering more compelling and realistic battles than ever before.
• Uncover the truth in a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal and heroism.
• Near-endless customization and hundreds of abilities to choose from.
• New characters not included in the original game
• New Battle Skill ability, adds to the range of play beyond Magic and Special abilities
• New graphics, music, gameplay and much more make this the definitive version of TACTICS OGRE.
• New and improved visuals that create a TACTICS OGRE experience with more detail than ever before.
• Re-arranged soundtrack from the original composers including 15 new compositions.

About Square Enix, Inc.
Square Enix, Inc. is a U.S. based wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., a holding company leading Square Enix Group. Square Enix, Inc. publishes and distributes entertainment content under the Square Enix Group’s internationally renowned brands such as Square Enix, Eidos and Taito in the Americas. The Square Enix Group includes a global network of leading development studios located in North America, Europe and Japan. The Group boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 97 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 54 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 35 million units worldwide; and other well-established products and services.

More information on Square Enix, Inc. can be found at http://www.square-enix.com.

DRAGON QUEST, FINAL FANTASY, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are registered trademarks of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd. in the United States and/or other countries. TACTICS OGRE and VAGRANT STORY are registered trademarks or trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd. Eidos and Tomb Raider are registered trademarks of Square Enix, Ltd. Taito is a registered trademark of Taito Corp. “PlayStation” and “PSP” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Japanese site is here too:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/tacticsogre/

Famitsu sceens and Artwork:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1237859_1407.html

Some shots:

Denim Powell, Catiua Powell and Vyce Bozeck:

One of the new characters: Ravness Loxaerion

Detailed Interview:

Quote:
Team Tactics Ogre Details PSP Remake
Minagawa and Matsuno discuss what's changed in the 15 years since the Super Famicom original.

▶Posted Jul 22, 2010 at 03:46, By Anoop Gantayat

Square Enix is readying a revival of classic Quest strategy title Tactics Ogre. In this week's Famitsu, the company shared first details on Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate, a remake of the Super Famicom original. The game is due for PSP release at an undisclosed date.

The original Tactics Ogre, fully "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together" was a Japan-only strategy game that hit Super Famicom from Quest in 1995 (Quest was later bought out by Square Enix). The game was known for its rich world setting and advanced strategic gameplay, with such novelties as height-based play. PlayStation and Saturn ports were released in, respectively, 1996 and 1997, and a Game Boy Advance prequel followed in 2001.

The original staff has assembled for the PSP remake. The staff list includes Hiroshi Minagawa as director, Yasumi Matsuno as designer, Akihiko Yoshida and Tsubasa Masao as character designers and Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata on music.

Rather than "remake," Famitsu actually refers to Wheel of Fate as a "re-imagining" of the original. However, the game will see much of what one would expect of a remake, including a new visual engine, and new story and gameplay elements.

As this is a new version of Let Us Cling Together, the story and character basics remain unchanged. Famitsu introduces characters like Denim Powell, Catiua Powell and Vyce Bozeck, all of whom were in the original. The game will have new characters as well, though. One example is Ravness Loxaerion, a 23-year-old female Walstanian soldier. She's a playable character, appearing in the magazine's array of in-game battle screens.

In addition to the new character, the game will see some adjustments for the story, giving us a closer look at the emotional side of the characters along with added side stories and new stories for the newly added characters. This area of the game is being handled personally by Matsuno, who served as director, scenario writer and designer on the original.

The game will be seeing a great increase in text. This includes newly added descriptions for the various fields of play, and a great increase in the conversations that you encounter in battle. Some characters will have conversations exclusively with certain other characters. You'll also get to hear the emotional state of enemies via dialogue.

The battle system is also seeing some major changes, in terms of both gameplay and presentation. The maps are now fully 3D, allowing you to move the camera around and even view the action from above. The characters are sprite-based, giving the game a Final Fantasy Tactics visual impression. Visuals for enemy units and battle effects have been redone.

The screen layout has been reformed, with a character movement timeline at the bottom of the screen, and a single line text area at the top of the screen for detailing your currently selected unit.

The interface is also being sped up. Your characters will move more quickly. Additionally, the visual effects for magic and skill use are faster.

It looks like we can expect gameplay changes even beyond these areas. Famitsu shows a mysterious screenshot that looks somewhat like a flow chart. The caption for this screen reads "What if you'd made a different choice at that point? Will there be a system that realizes the 'what if?'." Famitsu is usually informed for such speculative statements, so we can probably expect something along this line.

DEVELOPER INTERVIEW

Minagawa, Matsuno and Yoshida appear in the magazine this week for an interview. The interview was conducted by Enterbrain CEO Hirokazu Hamamura who was given a chance to play an early build of the game during the discussion. (If you manage to get your hands on Famitsu, you'll also see a picture of the three developers with a cake. This was apparently readied to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the series.)

Hamamura provided a few impressions as he played. After viewing the game's opening, he selected "New Game" and commented jokingly that the "hand mark" is very nice. As he viewed the opening proper for the start of the new game, he commented that the text has become prettier and easier to read. Minagawa noted here that this is because the resolution has been upped due to the game being on PSP.

Hamamura's initial impression, apparently after just seeing the opening areas of the game, was that the game retains much of the look and feel of the Super Famicom version. Matsuno pointed out that a lot has actually changed from the original. For example, the Super Famicom version did not have the shadows that the PSP version has. Because of this, the game has an overall brighter, fresher look.

One of the goals for the team, said Minagawa, was to recreate the look of the original, while adding in the beautifications players make in their minds due to nostalgia. They're purposely keeping the Super Famicom qualities of the visuals in place. Matsuno joked that it would be praise for them if someone who played the game would say, even with contempt, "This is just like the original!"

There's a lot going on in the background, though, noted Matsuno. For example, they're taking great care to make sure that the sprite visuals for the characters will not be out of synch with the 3D maps.

Hamamura suggested that they should have perhaps remade even the sprite visuals. This was under consideration at the start of development, replied Minagawa. However, they felt that there'd be no need for the original staff to be making the game if they went with that approach, and so decided on the current direction. More intriguingly, Matsuno said that if they were to go the full dynamic 3D route, they might as well make a brand new title. Hamamura joked that he'd like to see this.

While the character sprite visuals are being carried over from the original Super Famicom version, the character illustrations -- the artwork -- is all new. Working on the illustrations is Tsubasa Masao, who previously worked on Final Fantasy Gaiden: Four Warriors of Light.

Matsuno detailed some of the changes are that are being made for the other areas of the game. The game's text will be more readable -- this is both for the font itself, and also for the textual content, with Matsuno himself working to fix what he describes as "my amateurish writing from 15 years back." Players will find a number of areas that have been brushed up.

On the gameplay side of things, Minagawa said that the basic format of the game will remain unchanged. That is, you'll get into battle at points in the story, and you'll have to clear these battles in order to progress. During the turn-based battles, you'll need to make use of your units to defeat enemy armies.

Atop the basic game systems, the staff is working in a number of new features. Minagawa describes the battles as being "greatly changed," although he promises that the essence of the original, including the height mechanics for the maps and the ability to send arrows flying greater distance by shooting from above, will remain in place.

New features mentioned by Minagawa include the addition of "skills," and additional classes. Some of the current systems are being changed. For example, they're removing the difference between male and female versions of a class, a change that will allow players to freely change class without thinking about gender.

The scale and speed of battle will also be seeing adjustments. Minagawa said that he's placing importance on the tempo of battle. Regarding scale, the original featured 10 vs 10 battles. For the remake, players will be able to have 12 members on their party facing off against 18 enemies, making for 30 characters on screen.

One point of note that Matsuno brought up himself was the original's difficulty. In short, it was quite difficult. Minagawa believes that keeping the game as is would be tough, especially for portable gamers. To address this issue, they've added such things as the expected mid battle save feature. There will be other features as well, including something related to the "Wheel of Fate" subtitle. This "Wheel of Fate" element is deeply related to the battle system, and it's something that players will be able to use or not use as they like. For specifics, we'll have to wait until a followup report, but Minagawa said that hints can be found in the screenshots included in the magazine.

Throughout the interview, Minagawa and Matsuno both downplayed the use of the term "remake" or "directors cut" to describe Tactics Ogre Wheel of Fate. Said Minagawa, "The goal of this game is not to make a 'Tactics Ogre Complete Version.' It's to remake Tactics Ogre again for the current generation." Said Matsuno, "It's not just a remake or directors cut. You could call it a 're-imagination.'"

Re-imagination or remake, Tactics Ogre is at last being revived for modern gamers. While Famitsu lists the game as release date TBA, the fact that Hamamura was able to demo it seems like a good indication that we'll get our hands on the game in the not-so-distant future.
Today is a GOOD day.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-07-22 at 19:49.
Old 2010-07-22, 19:18   Link #18
GDB

They need to stop tempting me to buy a PSP. It's becoming harder and harder to resist.

I swear, if the next thing they announce is a remake of Digimon World (PS), I'll have to cave and buy one on the spot.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 19:38   Link #19
Excorsism

Oh, I would keel over if they remake Ogre Battle 64 too. And I really wish this was on the DS as well.
Old 2010-07-22, 19:57   Link #20
Iron Maw
Banned

I'm really happy that they are rebalancing classes along with giving them skills and upping the total amount of units that can be fielded. Now just fix the broken training system and things will be perfect.