AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-26, 18:47   Link #281
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Considering that there exists something called the "sleep pk" exploit that makes people fearful of simply falling asleep anywhere in a safe zone, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a possibility. What's to say that an opponent couldn't just specialize in armor breaking techs and poke at the opponent with off-hits till they're near 50%, then break/disarm? their armor and just deal the finishing blow on an essentially 0def opponent?

Just a farfetched scenario, but still.
I would expect the game to stop allowing the HP to go down under 50% with the similar effect of trying to attack someone is safezone, should be a pretty straightforward thing for the game creator (who wanted the game to be "fair") to fix.
Old 2012-08-26, 19:07   Link #282
Adigard

Quote:
Considering that there exists something called the "sleep pk" exploit that makes people fearful of simply falling asleep anywhere in a safe zone, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a possibility. What's to say that an opponent couldn't just specialize in armor breaking techs and poke at the opponent with off-hits till they're near 50%, then break/disarm? their armor and just deal the finishing blow on an essentially 0def opponent?

An exploit that makes people fear falling asleep outside their rooms... as the anime has already proven multiple times that private rooms are totally safe (part of why the murder arc was such a drastic shift).

And if the SAO duel's are anything like standard MMO-fare duel's there's probably an opt-out button somewhere.

Spoiler:
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 20:57   Link #283
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Totally possible.

But from what I've read, even duels that are "50% health victory" duels CAN be dangerous if the last attack is a critical hit.

As Asuna said way back in episode 5, people can still die in normal duels because your health drops, although it is unlikely.
Old 2012-08-26, 21:01   Link #284
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Finally, the main story.

Fricken awesome. Asuna is win on so many levels. Can't wait for the coming episodes, gonna be awesome.

Here's hoping they animate next episode and have no stills.
Old 2012-08-26, 21:37   Link #285
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

2 years in there bodies must of atrophied and wow s-class ingredients
Old 2012-08-26, 22:39   Link #286
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
2 years in there bodies must of atrophied and wow s-class ingredients
True. I really how much therapy will they go through after finishing the game both physically and mentally.
Old 2012-08-26, 23:35   Link #287
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
True. I really how much therapy will they go through after finishing the game both physically and mentally.
Actually... they could be undergoing physical therapy even while in game... I mean... Like with comatose patient that is... In ICU when do body positioning per 2 hours and passive exercises to prevent muscle atrophy and dystropy..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 00:03   Link #288
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Huh? I thought that was specific to Rosalia's group and why they were so successful.
I think you need to watch ep 4 again. When Silica asked about why Rosalia was green, Kirito mentioned the tactic as in it's one commonly used by other PKs, not one specific to Rosalia's guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Kirito as an extremely powerful solo'er is probably stupidly wealthy... OTOH, as an avid MMO player (it's a safe assumption) he probably blows his money on silly things like new weapons / equipment pieces / and silly MMO fluff.
From previous episodes you can see that Kirito carries around a lot equipment from different levels, sometimes to blend with lower levels and sometimes to give away to cute girls XD.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 02:49   Link #289
Arya

Well, great episode. Even if I wasn't bothered by the side stories I have to say that this first episode feels like something else. But I knew it would have happened. I mean, they were able to make me like side stories that I usually consider equally to filler episodes.
The quality really impressed me, btw, it looks like they did a great job here, better than before.
Anyways Asuna is awesome, freakin awesome. I love how strong she is, but keeping her feminine traits!! That's the perfect formula

Something that was a little surprising is the cliffhanger at the end of the episode. Hasn't they been a "bit" reckless getting in the boss room? Even in relation of Asuna previous concern on how unpredictable the monsters have become since lvl. 70.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 03:00   Link #290
.Mero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Judging from Liz's Appraisal windows, Dark Repulser is in fact inferior to Elucidator, but by a very tiny margin.
Considering Kirito's habit to be prepared, he probably use Elucidator as his main weapon, and has Dark Repulser as a back up (and since weapons can break during mid battle, it makes sense that Kirito was looking for a similar weapon just in case).
Usually in a mmo you repair regurlarly, when carrying a backup it's just that it doesnt need to be as good as your main or better.

In mmo's there's usually only 2 reasons to get a second weapon, either because of different properties /skillsets/style you are going to use

or spoiler for it might considered speculation on my side
Spoiler:
.Mero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 03:45   Link #291
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Weren't there three types of duel? One of which was "First hit wins". Maybe one of them is to the death?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 05:46   Link #292
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Something that was a little surprising is the cliffhanger at the end of the episode. Hasn't they been a "bit" reckless getting in the boss room? Even in relation of Asuna previous concern on how unpredictable the monsters have become since lvl. 70.
I don't think it's that reckless. "The boss can't leave the room" is another one of those absolute rules they've lived with for 74 floors already. It's related to the fairness of the game that Kirito was talking about earlier. You simply don't fight the boss until you're ready, and you can always run away. You can either accept it or give up and die. Given that they no longer have any beta knowledge to tell them even vaguely what to expect from a boss, entering the room to see what it does and then resetting it before it gets dangerous would be the only way to develop any kind of strategy. Of course, it's not perfectly safe, but that's why there's so much tension in the scene. It needs to be done though. Think of them as a scouting party.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 05:49   Link #293
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The only problem I have with Kirito's initiative is that... they would be screwed to no end if the door suddenly close behind them, and it would logically be a "immortal object".
Even more "funny" if the boss room would be a anti crystal room, like the chest trap room in ep3, or the dragon's lair.

Closed room during boss fights are not unheard of, especially in RPG and MMO.
Old 2012-08-27, 05:55   Link #294
Clarste
Human

Quote:
The only problem I have with Kirito's initiative is that... they would be screwed to no end if the door suddenly close behind them, and it would logically be a "immortal object".
Even more "funny" if the boss room would be a anti crystal room, like the chest trap room in ep3, or the dragon's lair.

Closed room fights are not unheard of in other games, but presumably it hasn't happened for 74 floors now. And if they don't scout it out themselves, then someone else will have to later. Does Kirito really seem like the type to let someone else risk their life for him? Of course not.

Last edited by Clarste; 2012-08-27 at 08:11.
Old 2012-08-27, 07:45   Link #295
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
To be fair Kirito was rather upfront earlier in the episode about not planning on fighting the boss. But someone, somewhere eventually has to gather intel on the boss in order to succesfully fight it.

I'd be amazed if next week's episode started with them closing the door and deciding to duo the boss rather than waiting for the other 498 front line fighters to get there and slowly gather intel on the boss. We've seen a boss strategy meeting for a floor boss, and a field boss. It's safe to assume no one ever decides to just fight the boss for kicks in a death game.
Old 2012-08-27, 07:50   Link #296
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
But someone, somewhere eventually has to gather intel on the boss in order to succesfully fight it.
From just a look he can tell what gear it carries and what minions it commands. That kind of information would fetch a good price in the top guilds...ah, the joys of being a solo player
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 08:13   Link #297
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
From just a look he can tell what gear it carries and what minions it commands. That kind of information would fetch a good price in the top guilds...ah, the joys of being a solo player
Hey, he found the door first. Given that a guild simply has more players active at once, the odds of a solo player finding the door are much lower. He deserves at least that much for a first mover advantage.
Old 2012-08-27, 09:04   Link #298
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Actually... they could be undergoing physical therapy even while in game... I mean... Like with comatose patient that is... In ICU when do body positioning per 2 hours and passive exercises to prevent muscle atrophy and dystropy..
Oh, I see but I doubt that would be enough. I am guessing when they do wake up, they go through even more rehabilitation and counseling.
Old 2012-08-27, 09:17   Link #299
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

I don't think its a problem long as they are careful about it. At that point they still seemed to be pretty close to the door. Doors that big are going to cover a wide area when opening and closing. So if they stay close the doors would just naturally push them right back out.

But yeah it could certainly be dangerous if any of those things happen. But they've cleared over 70 floors so they should be sharp enough to realize those risks and remain cautious.
Old 2012-08-27, 09:26   Link #300
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Oh, I see but I doubt that would be enough. I am guessing when they do wake up, they go through even more rehabilitation and counseling.
I'd imagine some % of the survivors would go into shock the very first time they meet someone whose face isn't made up of pixels.

Just saying...

VRMMO's may be super advanced, and we may not know it from the anime... but you spend enough time looking at pixelated versions of people, our hostages may have some uncanny valley issues when dealing with 'real people'.

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion