Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-02, 15:59   Link #561
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
^I don't notice anything . Oh wait that was your point Miria's scar is gone, yet again, but then back the next page... Yagi kinda did this in his last series Angel Densetsu too but to a far less degree. Personally I was hoping Tabitha would have healed it on the TEN day boat trip but nope...

----

Just cause I don't think people on this site may have seen it yet... the fan colored ch 128 page

Priscilla is getting out from the 'black swamp', wonder what happened to Claire.
Awakened beings gather to watch the birth of the one above an abyssal beings, sounds like they have nothing better to do
Old 2012-07-02, 17:07   Link #562
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Great chapter. Priscilla inching out of that... good twist. Let's hope she is coming out alone and Clare will emerge together with the twins.

This is going to be a good arc. It has the makings of one, at least.
Old 2012-07-02, 19:03   Link #563
Nvis
Where are the good animes

My Octavia does not have brown hair!

By the way, any guesses to what the Rabona soldiers gathered for them?

The spears?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 19:48   Link #564
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post

By the way, any guesses to what the Rabona soldiers gathered for them?

The spears?
Claymores!
Old 2012-07-02, 19:55   Link #565
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Great chapter. Priscilla inching out of that... good twist. Let's hope she is coming out alone and Clare will emerge together with the twins.

This is going to be a good arc. It has the makings of one, at least.
I'll defiantly admit this arc has a good setup behind it... maybe even a great one but at the very least a way better one than last arc (minus maybe the first appearance of the 3 ZAOs or Miria's first attack on the org... depending on where you count the arc really being set up).

Even if one was to go looking for things to criticize this chapter they'd be limited to lack of dialog on the part of the 3 ghost beyond the fab 4 and all the we wanna fight too stuff (but that part would be a subjective opinion, the lack of interaction with supposedly 3 important characters however isn't). Plus where was Raki when they where asking people not to fight (not saying they'd ask him to leave since there plan is for him to 'talk' Clare into reemerging) I'm just saying I didn't even see him in the background. Which was kinda odd...

Now about Priscilla emerging out of the blob... funny you say that it was a good twist. I thought that was exactly what Yagi was going to do ever since the blob was first revealed. I always believed that even if The Destroyer was on par with Priscilla in terms of power Clare's ability to indefinitely contain her with that power wouldn't be, simply put it's not Clare's body and she isn't fully yoki harmonized with the yoki of Raphaela/Lucilia since Clare wasn't made from the same yoma the sisters where and Galatea made it quite clear that that would be required for a total merger.

So even though what Clare is doing is amazing
  • She can't fully control the blob forever due to lack of total yoki harmonization
  • Her yoki power pool, aka the power she uses to sustain control over the blob, might run out before Priscilla is unable to resist and loses her consciousness to the blob like Raphaela did (until Clare brought it back). Likely as time draws on Clare's ability to contain Priscilla would degrade as she tires but at a far greater rate than Priscilla would tire. Plus even though Clare was made from Teresa she hasn't unlocked all that potential yet, so arguing that Teresa is powering Clare would be moot since atm Clare doesn't have access to that full level of power yet and it's debatable if non awakened Teresa had more power than an awakened Priscilla (lets avoid a Teresa vs Priscilla debate, since the only point I'm making here is Clare isn't at Teresa level... at least yet).
  • Next Clare isn't fully awakened, so she will be forced to protect her own mind from collapse from overexerting herself and from the nature of the blob draining life forces and likely Priscilla's mental counter attacks. If she loses that battle all she'll care about is escaping herself then feeding thus dooming her plan.
  • Even though apparently Clare put a block/wedge in her mind to not awaken this type of awakening might not be effected by that block since this type of awakening has more to do with lack of fatigue than choice. So a block/wedge might not even work here in the long run.
  • Worse, as kinda stated above, while her block/wedge maybe allowing her to do this and not awaken for a time once she starts to get too fatigued her block may actually backfire. Simply put Clare's mind will start to focus more on protecting her own mind to prevent her own awakening due to the block/wedge no matter how much Clare may wish to contain Priscilla her block/wedge just won't prioritize that over not awakening herself.
  • Finally we knew Priscilla was still conscious in there, so as much as Clare maybe trying to contain her one mistake or weakening of Clare's ability to control the Destroyer and Priscilla will find an opening through Clare's mental prison. Even if each mistake Clare makes only allows Priscilla a tiny bit further out of her maximum security ward eventually enough mistakes/openings will start piling up and soon enough Priscilla could just walk right out the main door. Which is what she appears to be about to do... though it's clear she's not quite there and could actually gain power from Cassandra's yoki if she can reach the blob in time. So that way Priscilla just blows up whatever wing of the mental prison she's in and makes her own exit all the while gaining extra yoki as a result of taking back her arms power.

The only way Clare's plan would have really worked was if the Blob was far greater than Priscilla's level of power... even if it was stronger but only by a bit Clare's plan was just doomed for the above reasons.

I was always hoping for a inside the blob chapter or two since I thought it could have been amazing character development for Clare as she realizes what is truly important to her, which isn't revenge but not becoming a monster like that and living on for those she loves and to be with them. I would have loved to have seen Clare realizing that she's losing the war and seeing Raphaela's memories echoing her own feelings as Raphaela must have had after killing her sister and then slowing dying in the blob and Clare realizing that's not what she wants and Raphaela was trying to warn her not to follow her path this whole time. The of course Clare realizing that this whole time she's been coming to this realization Priscilla has been using her confusion to escape and has almost done so.

Now this could still happen, in a way... maybe we'll get a chapter or two inside the blob as Clare nears the end of her ability to contain Priscilla where we see from Clare's perspective in the blob. She'll start to hear Raki or at least memories of him trigger by the talks him talking blob (maybe interrupting a Raphaela memory) and slowly she'll come to realize that Raki is actually there, now an adult, he's just outside the blob talking to her and she's not imagining it. After all a chapter just seeing Raki talk to a blob from outside the blobs prospective would be rather... cheesy (think that's the word I'm looking for). So hopefully Yagi is thinking that too and chooses to have 'talking' to the blob idea play out from Clare's pov and not Raki's or the ghost's pov (at least until Clare starts realizing what's going on, after that point seeing from out side the blob and him taking to it could work really well once Raki realizes Clare is responding to the voice).

Just my two cents anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Agreed, I personally see her as a blonde... I'm sure the artist was just bored of blonde after tons of past claymore colorings. Can't blame the artist for that, artists need passion to an artwork to commit that much time into making it... so if I'm stuck with brown hair for that reason I can live with it. Plus I'm good enough in photoshop to recoloring it (though don't expect it to be amazing, since converting colors is never as good as coloring them right the first time)
Old 2012-07-02, 20:23   Link #566
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Decided to put my money where my mouth was... so I recolored recolored Octivia's hair color to blonde.

Now the question is do you all like it? Do you think her hair color is a bit darker but not brown either? What Fantasy colored in the first place is how you see her? or something else?
Old 2012-07-02, 20:41   Link #567
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

My impression was a light brown or darker blond.
Old 2012-07-02, 20:54   Link #568
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
My impression was a light brown or darker blond.
You maybe right... I went with light blonde since it was the first one that worked. Not so much since it's how I saw her (hadn't decided on the shade prior). Anyways recolored them again... what you all think now?

What color do you see Octivia's natural hair color as being?

A) Light Blonde

B) Darker Blonde

C) Sandyish Brown

D) Lightish Brown (Fantasy's original color choice)
Old 2012-07-02, 21:02   Link #569
GrimJack

until the colourist gets Miria's hair right I couldn't care less about Octavia's lol
Old 2012-07-02, 21:20   Link #570
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

This may just be personal preference seeping in, but looking at those 4, the original coloring (lightish brown) looks best imo.
Old 2012-07-02, 21:24   Link #571
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

With that expression on Raki's face when he saw all the (beautiful) awakened girls, is there any hope Raki x Clare doesn't become a reality?

Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 21:40   Link #572
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^Raki is just 'entertaining' himself till he finds his dream girl again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
until the colourist gets Miria's hair right I couldn't care less about Octavia's lol
I agree with you there... I always hated that shade for Miria, since 'cannonlogically' darker hair means she's not a complete warrior and could reach rank 6 let alone duel an Abyssal One. However Yagi did tend to run with it anyway, in a few coloring of here the chapter 121 colored cover page, the chapter 100 colored page, and ch 79 cover page gave her hair clear tones that hinted at a darker (more red color). However extra chapter 3 gave Miria an insanely light blonde hair.

Spoiler for pics:

To more confuse things then volume 21 cover page gave her very red hair, however it was red tones and every Claymore had that tone on there head too.

Spoiler for pic:

Dauf is another example of this... the volume 7 cover showed red/orange and what clearly was his hand but volume 18 gave him a slightly darker anime color scheme.

Spoiler for pics:

Then volume 19 gave us a blue Priscilla with red armor and wings vs anime Purple. I like don't like the color choices Yagi had here... they seem very odd
Spoiler for pic:

Finally ch 110's colored cover page gave Raki sandy blonde hair even though the anime had him with brown hair... which I do feel is correct and the right choice (plus if he was almost blonde or blonde he'd pass off better as her little brother)
Spoiler for pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
This may just be personal preference seeping in, but looking at those 4, the original coloring (lightish brown) looks best imo.
Fair enough , I can see why... was more just experimenting to see what I liked myself anyways.

That said brown hair has always been colored that way in the series thus far and Octivia wasn't shaded that way. So leaning sandy myself (like how I see Raki) as being her cannon color, but not the exact shade I did (as stated recoloring only goes so far, it's always best to start from scratch and edit). That said I like the light blonde color the best.

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-07-02 at 22:18.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:45   Link #573
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Current Poll results to hair color of Octivia between the 3 three forums I posted this question
A) 3
B) 0
C) 0
D) 1

-----

Found new coloring... this one of Chronos
Old 2012-07-02, 23:28   Link #574
Excelion

What I took away from this chapter is that 'ships are awesome'
Excelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 23:42   Link #575
Ryus
The One Eyed King

With the kinda attitude Helen had towards ships I was rather surprised any of them knew how to sail. So how did they make such good time again?
Old 2012-07-02, 23:44   Link #576
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
With the kinda attitude Helen had towards ships I was rather surprised any of them knew how to sail. So how did they make such good time again?
I assumed they chartered a boat, rather than sail one themselves. :/ Though the explicit mention of exact days to travel from point A to point B makes my head spin in all sorts of the wrong way when trying to extrapolate and fit to past events in this manga.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 23:48   Link #577
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I assumed they chartered a boat, rather than sail one themselves. :/ Though the explicit mention of exact days to travel from point A to point B makes my head spin in all sorts of the wrong way when trying to extrapolate and fit to past events in this manga.
Raki said both the ship and harbor where well hidden, so we can take that to mean they where not there for general people to charter rides one. Plus Miria would have killed any MiB crew, so logically they sailed there themselves.

I hear yeah on things making sense on the A to B... first off we have no idea on the ships "hull speed" nor it's sail designs. Plus weather is a factor. Simply put they could make over 300 km (~200 miles) a day weather/currents favoring and an pretty good sailing ship or they could make 0 km/miles if the weather was against them (actually negative miles if it was really bad). So this island could potentially be HUGE or tiny. If they had a ship with an overall speed of 4.5 knots an hour they could travel a thousand nautical miles in 10 days, if 6 knots an hour about 1300 Nautical miles. Some ships can travel far faster with sails than 6 knots an hour, some doubling that (I know of slower designs of the 1700s+ could do 11.5 knots and faster ones at least 15 knots).

Now walking a human does about 4mph in 24 hours that's 96 miles (that's miles not nautical miles)... but Claymore's aren't human so maybe they could do more but at the very least they just wouldn't need to rest like us. So lets keep it simple and say they can travel at human speed for 3 day stretches but not any faster since they have to account for bad terrain too. Lets say they take an 8 hour break ever third day which means they get 9 days of really traveling... that adds up to 864 miles in 10 days. Now to be fair they said they got there twice as fast but it only took them 10 days, so we can assume the ship was doing something more like 9 knots since even the slowest ship equaled this walking distance with the 4.5 knot example in 10 days.

However now we run into the problem... a ship traveling at 9 knots for 10 days straight does over 2000 nautical miles... meaning it's almost the same distance from New York to Los Angeles. So Huston we have a problem... this isn't an island but a bloody continent.

So for this to really work
a) Claymore must travel slower then I stipulated (maybe they need more rest and Clare was just really pushing it in the first ch)
b) There ships must also travel slower than stipulated and therefore not quite at later level of sailing tech.

or

c) They also walked a great distance from the ships landing port on the shore to the center of the island... then likely Raki's human requirements slowed them down a bit which is really what ate up most of there time of those 10 days. So the ship could have done 15 knots for all we know. Though page 1 made this seem less likely since it appeared they just walked over a hill from the ocean and where at the holy city

Britain is only about 600 miles long and Japan about 700 with only the main island or about 1,200 with all of them, for reference.

------

Current Poll results to hair color of Octivia between the three places I posted this question
A) 3
B) 1
C) 0
D) 1

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-07-03 at 00:54. Reason: BIG Edit.... decised to do some research into walking speeds and ship speeds XD
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 03:34   Link #578
Blaat

So the first thing Raki does in Rabona is pick up a girl?
Old 2012-07-03, 06:02   Link #579
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Raki said both the ship and harbor where well hidden, so we can take that to mean they where not there for general people to charter rides one. Plus Miria would have killed any MiB crew, so logically they sailed there themselves.

I hear yeah on things making sense on the A to B... first off we have no idea on the ships "hull speed" nor it's sail designs. Plus weather is a factor. Simply put they could make over 300 km (~200 miles) a day weather/currents favoring and an pretty good sailing ship or they could make 0 km/miles if the weather was against them (actually negative miles if it was really bad). So this island could potentially be HUGE or tiny. If they had a ship with an overall speed of 4.5 knots an hour they could travel a thousand nautical miles in 10 days, if 6 knots an hour about 1300 Nautical miles. Some ships can travel far faster with sails than 6 knots an hour, some doubling that (I know of slower designs of the 1700s+ could do 11.5 knots and faster ones at least 15 knots).

Now walking a human does about 4mph in 24 hours that's 96 miles (that's miles not nautical miles)... but Claymore's aren't human so maybe they could do more but at the very least they just wouldn't need to rest like us. So lets keep it simple and say they can travel at human speed for 3 day stretches but not any faster since they have to account for bad terrain too. Lets say they take an 8 hour break ever third day which means they get 9 days of really traveling... that adds up to 864 miles in 10 days. Now to be fair they said they got there twice as fast but it only took them 10 days, so we can assume the ship was doing something more like 9 knots since even the slowest ship equaled this walking distance with the 4.5 knot example in 10 days.

However now we run into the problem... a ship traveling at 9 knots for 10 days straight does over 2000 nautical miles... meaning it's almost the same distance from New York to Los Angeles. So Huston we have a problem... this isn't an island but a bloody continent.

So for this to really work
a) Claymore must travel slower then I stipulated (maybe they need more rest and Clare was just really pushing it in the first ch)
b) There ships must also travel slower than stipulated and therefore not quite at later level of sailing tech.

or

c) They also walked a great distance from the ships landing port on the shore to the center of the island... then likely Raki's human requirements slowed them down a bit which is really what ate up most of there time of those 10 days. So the ship could have done 15 knots for all we know. Though page 1 made this seem less likely since it appeared they just walked over a hill from the ocean and where at the holy city

Britain is only about 600 miles long and Japan about 700 with only the main island or about 1,200 with all of them, for reference.

------

Current Poll results to hair color of Octivia between the three places I posted this question
A) 3
B) 1
C) 0
D) 1
How the chapter discussion turned into a fav hair colour poll

Nice explanation, assuming it really is a continent, just how big is the the continent, where they fight against the dragonkin?

There are quite a few maps (fan made) of the island, and in almost all of them the eastern territory is made of mountains. The houses the trainees live in looked pretty rocky.
So in order to get to the central land, where Rabona is, they'd have to move along the mountains.

The ship most likely went northwest, just to the port near the central lands and then started walking southwest to Rabona.
Judging with the eye, the ship must be at least 2-3 times faster than walking into the central lands.

Spoiler for map:

Probability C seems most likely.
Old 2012-07-03, 07:10   Link #580
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
With that expression on Raki's face when he saw all the (beautiful) awakened girls, is there any hope Raki x Clare doesn't become a reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
So the first thing Raki does in Rabona is pick up a girl?
We all know by the end of the manga, he will have a harem with any remaining Claymore girls. If he survives I mean.