AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-12-25, 02:06   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Mai-HiME manga

Hey everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that over at Yanime we just released the entire first volume of the Mai-HiME manga (translated by me ). What's interesting about this manga is that the story is TOTALLY different from its anime counterpart (same characters though). In my personal opinion, this is a good thing and I think the manga is just as good as the anime. So I hope you'll all go download and enjoy it, because we worked really hard to bring it to you this Christmas. Ho ho ho

http://www.yanime.com

Oh, and its much too difficult to make a list of every thing that's different than the manga, so I'll list the major changes here for those who are interested.
Spoiler for Anime vs manga differences:

EDIT: Fixed a couple pages with typos. Overwrite the files with these two links.
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~olsen/Mai-HiME_01_066.png
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~olsen/Mai-HiME_01_153.png

Bandwidth graciously provided of the UT ECE department.

Last edited by Roots; 2004-12-25 at 14:49.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 02:45   Link #2
FlyByNite

Ecchi? Darker?

Tate-centric? So is it going to be a Harem for Tate?

Great Work, man so many Christmas Presents today. The final episodes of Melody Of Oblivion by Aone, and a volume each to read of School Rumble and Mai Hime from Yanime...

FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 03:00   Link #3
Cgoten

Send a message via AIM to Cgoten Send a message via Yahoo to Cgoten
Keep up the self-advertising, Roots.

>_>
Cgoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 05:00   Link #4
FlyByNite

Read thru the first volume and while I love Mai-Hime the anime, the manga is even ecchier, darker, and yet funnier at the same time...It's awesome.

Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 05:10   Link #5
Bronwen Stx
Did you say something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Read thru the first volume and while I love Mai-Hime the anime, the manga is even ecchier, darker, and yet funnier at the same time...It's awesome.

Spoiler:
Gods...this manga maybe a harder pill to swallow than I thought. Everything just doesn't seemed to be anything but ecchi. Seeing ecchi once in a while cracks me up (or raise my eyebrow) but they seemed so overkill here. If I was a boy, I might've appreciated it but...eh.

Its nice to see Natsuki more expressive in the manga though. The whole 'she's got bigger boobs' scene was funny.
Bronwen Stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 05:26   Link #6
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

I find it hard to believe that on the day that I am working on Chapter 12... two groups suddenly reveal they are working on the same project too... That certainly shows you how life likes to spring surprises on you

Nevertheless, besides Root's version ( which is scanned from the tankoubon, good job on getting it!!! )....

Chapters 1-11 ( at the moment ) at Anime-Source.

My version is done on the raw weekly scans from Champion mangazine with some cleaning up.

There are also a bunch of other unlicensed mangas we are hosting.

Then there is AnimeWaves who just released their Chapter 1 as well... They too got their raws from the tankoubon.

Just giving the people more options

Btw... [Shameless self-promotion gambit] : If you would like to know the real reason why Tate used "Debochin" in Chapter 7, read mine!!!
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 08:12   Link #7
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Just read the translation...

Reaction ==> O_o ; o_O ; O_O ; -__-

Er, radically different from the anime. You just have to read it to believe it. I believe the PS2 game is also... very different.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 08:29   Link #8
wao
OK.

I have... exactly the same reaction. I actually don't know how a manga like this can't get pulled off soon (unless Sunrise is helping it get kept there). The anime is definitely a lot better... the pacing just seems all too weird and we get whammed with pantyshots really early...

I think I'll give this a miss, but who really, it can get so different from the anime... pyu, what's the PS2 game like, I've only ehard of it. It's a renai game right?
Old 2004-12-25, 08:32   Link #9
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

According to the Mai Hime anime thread in the fansub forum, its a dating game where you play a teacher of the Academy. Again, another totally different perspective.
Old 2004-12-25, 09:09   Link #10
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Well... the general picture between the manga and anime version to me is similar to Root's view with a few differences.

Manga - Slightly better utilisation of plot devices ( the Key concept helps to explain why Co-ed school is a necessity as well as a tactical concern in combat, though there are other surprises along the way ), an edgier story ( Natsuki's background ), etc. Though the weekly format is a flaw in story development, what of the story that is there seems to be sturdier than the anime.

Anime - Highly enjoyable action comedic piece The way the characters interact and are set up for those humour is priceless . Some of the action are pretty nice to watch as well. The art in the anime is also consistently better than the manga. The manga had some spots where the faces of the main characters look... weird.

That said, translating the manga is starting to make me hate the Kensai-ben Stupid Tate and Fujino. Yep, they are from the Kansai region, anybody notice if they speak Kansai-ben in the anime?
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 09:12   Link #11
Ansa

Wow I'm really suprised how much diffrent it is from the Anime, I'm really enjoying it, a lot more funny and Natsuki is just outright strange in it.
Ansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 09:50   Link #12
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Yes, Natsuki definitely is... stranger..

I mean.. "Slave-kun"... Eh?
Old 2004-12-25, 11:08   Link #13
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
Yes, Natsuki definitely is... stranger..

I mean.. "Slave-kun"... Eh?
Is that a collection of gothic lace dollies besides the massive underwear closet?

Thankfully, the girl is also a lot stronger in the manga. Methinks she got nerfed for the screen adaptation.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 11:25   Link #14
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
I find it hard to believe that on the day that I am working on Chapter 12... two groups suddenly reveal they are working on the same project too... That certainly shows you how life likes to spring surprises on you

Oh wow, I had no idea you had done that much work on MH already Yebyosh. We've actually been planning to do MH for a long time, but the scans we found from Champion were just so bad we sat back and waited till we found some more HQ scans to release it. I'm surprised there wasn't a Mai-HiME manga thread here already then.
Old 2004-12-25, 11:31   Link #15
Breogan
Umeboshi

Afaik the manga was only mentioned in the anime thread, just for the fanservice and tentacle madness from the pool monster .
I got some raws from hongfire at that time and it seemed quite different already (Shiho being Tate's classmate in the old school but not showing up as an important character in the manga for example), and Mai and Tate having a pretty good relationship right from the start.
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 11:45   Link #16
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Oh, forgot to mention one thing....

[shameless plug]
At the end of chapter 2 there is a typed radio interview from Mai's voice actor from the anime and she talks about her personal opinion about the manga (which is similar to the opinions many people are expressing here) as well as mentioning that during that interview the anime team was working on episode 14.

At the end of chapter 6 there is a (perverted) comment from the anime producer on the whole "Mai-HiME projects".

Both pages took a fairly long time to translate and you'll only find them in the yanime release.
[/shameless plug]

Hey, all's fair in love and manga.
Old 2004-12-25, 12:03   Link #17
ChronoReverse

You guys seriously should collaborate on this. It'll mean far less overlap in the work, more eyes doing QC, and more sources of raws.

In any case a thumbs up for the work you've done for us unworthy leechers =)
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 12:28   Link #18
Crimsonmon

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonmon Send a message via MSN to Crimsonmon
The main reason I'm not liking the manga as much as the anime, is that in a similar way to the first three Sailor Moon arcs, it's introducing new characters too soon after each other...

And am I the only one who feels like this is just like a fanfic where the author puts him/herself into it, and suddenly becomes the main focus of attention?

Spoiler for Anime:
Crimsonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 13:32   Link #19
ShikaShika
無罪

I like the anime, but the only thing I'm not to happy about is the plot. The orphans just seem like random monsters, I don't think they make for very entertaining villains, is this the same in the manga? I'll try the manga regardless, just thought I'd ask.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 14:47   Link #20
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

We fixed a few spelling mistakes we later found. I'm hosting two corrected pages here:

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~olsen/Mai-HiME_01_066.png
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~olsen/Mai-HiME_01_153.png

Sorry about that. We raced to get this released last night so we missed a few things.