AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-10-02, 22:49   Link #1
rainking187

Lost Licenses

I was wondering, for series where the american companies lose the license, like has already happened with Sailor Moon and ADV, is there any chance they will show back up on here someday? The DVDs are already OOP. On a related note, does anyone know where I can get Sailor Moon episode 67? That's the one that wasn't licensed by ADV.
rainking187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 23:24   Link #2
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Nope. If they aren't up now, they will probably never be up. I guess it's part of the Anime Suki policy not to put up fansubs of anime that have been licensed or put on DVD at one point or another.

I might be wrong and I hope someone would correct me if I am.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 10:01   Link #3
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I believe the policy is that it's perfectly fine to list them as long as they aren't English DVD rips.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 11:59   Link #4
Meatwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I believe the policy is that it's perfectly fine to list them as long as they aren't English DVD rips.
I disaggree, unless DVDs are NO LONGER avalible it should not be put up. Even tho they don't have the license, EXISTING copies CAN still be sold. You can get Sailor Moon Season 1 and Season 2 on www.rightstuf.com for 1/3rd the retail prices still, just $50 per season. If you still want it "for free" you have no buisness being here and downloading fansubs if you have no intent of supporting the show!
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 12:05   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

NoSanninWa answers this question pretty well in this thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=21275

Basically: even though the license is expired, it expired only VERY recently. So because
of that alone we would be hesitant to put Sailor Moon on the site. Certainly if we are going
to put it up, it HAS to be fansubs -- we would not allow DVDrips of the ADV/Geneon DVDs.

As mentioned though, right now Sailor Moon is still quite easy to get -- if not through
official channels it should still be quite easy to get it (legally, used) through eBay.

So... while I won't say you will never see Sailor Moon (season 1 + 2) on the site at SOME
time in the future, I still consider it way to soon to put them up now, or even a year from now.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 12:23   Link #6
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Basically: even though the license is expired, it expired only VERY recently.
In case if others were wondering, I would like to point out thatit expired on April 1, 2004. No joke. I has been unlicensed for a little more than 6 months. As GHDPro said, it will be at least a year. During that time it could be licensed by any company but if you wait that long, you will know that no one is planning to get the right to it until at least a few months from now.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 17:31   Link #7
rainking187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
During that time it could be licensed by any company
Not going to happen with Sailor Moon, Toei doesn't want to give out the licenses anymore, Geneon/Pioneer has tried to renew the two seasons they have but Toei won't let them.
rainking187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 19:25   Link #8
Supersonic
King of the l33t
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Supersonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad
If you still want it "for free" you have no buisness being here and downloading fansubs if you have no intent of supporting the show!
listen, this is analogous to the argument used against emulation because it would detract from "the company's profits"

in a business like DVD or Video Game Manufacture, the product is as good as sold once it leaves the factory, not to you, the consumer, of course, but to SOMEONE. This is usually the store operator, and as long as the company receives that good old check from Wal-Mart, they couldn't give a shit if you ran up the counter and stole it off the rack.

And so, to say that pirating sailor moon will hurt the licenser of said series, when all the copies of the DVD are already out of the licenser's hands, and future production is a total impossibility, is completely fallacious

Along that same line of thinking however, it could be argued that the piracy of licensed anime could be less damaging to the anime production companies than the piracy of the unlicensed anime. That is to say that when a company buys naruto, they already know that there are MILLIONS of duplicated copies floating around that they (whether animesuki condemns it or not) will have to compete with.

Now, when the licensers seek to bring you an anime that is completely unpirated, and they succeed in licensing it, they know that they will be the sole distributor of that anime to a select public, and the money is already in the hands of the production studio or the distributor. At that point, what you do no longer is directly tied to that production studio's profits

Of course, such is the nature of piracy that only popular media is readily available, and were an anime to go unpirated, it's entertainment value would be so low that it would be a waste of effort to license it, so all of our deduction that takes place here must be theoretical.
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote