AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-06-25, 17:16   Link #241
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
Don´t say that. The Netherlands champion, scary that is.
Nah, doesn´t really matter .

I´m happy a small country will win. Will be very deserved also. All the big teams more or less dissappointed with the exception of England probably.
Of the so called stronger teams so far only England, the Netherlands (yeah they lost to Czechia but it was a great game with good play from both sides) and Czechia were able to impress me.
Looks like this EC will be dubbed the "underdog EC" , the team destined to win always loses apparently. It's refreshing to see other teams reaching the semi's for a change but I hope the football remains attractive, England is always good for exciting football too bad they are no longer in. I've put my support up for the Netherlands now.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 18:35   Link #242
Mcdonalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
Don´t say that. The Netherlands champion, scary that is.
Nah, doesn´t really matter .

I´m happy a small country will win. Will be very deserved also. All the big teams more or less dissappointed with the exception of England probably.
wow, can't believe you wrote that. The teams that have impressed me and who i consider big teams are the czechs and the netherlands (not their first game though). Actually you're right, i think most of the big teams have failed to impress. I do however disagree with England impressing, i think that they have played poorly throughout the tournament and been hanging onto leads rather than playing good exciting football. Denmark and the czechs have particularly impressed me though. The greeks i find are boring and play a 9 - 0 - 2 formation and play act too much for my liking when they go into the lead. At least against France they were forced to attack and once they had that goal, just played that crappy 11 men behind the ball tactic. Anyway, so far this tournament, players to have impressed me have been:

Ibrahamovic, Tomasson, Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nedved, Baros, Robben, Nistelrooy, Stam, Vieira, Christeas (the greek forward got that name soooo wrong), Nedved, Heinze, Cassano too name most of them and most probably forgotten some others
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 20:11   Link #243
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
How Wilko helped send England out of Euro 2004 ...

Football/Rugby picture gag.

Jonny Wilkinson & David Beckham.
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 20:57   Link #244
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
my beloved France is out
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 05:17   Link #245
Palani
///_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
my beloved France is out
And to Greece, personally I would have liked it a lot more to see France proceeding then greece. I mean the game wasn't briliant and the change of them becoming Champion is like 0. But then again that was what we said of South-Korea in the WC and the managed to do a pretty decent job.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 10:58   Link #246
Bracken33

@7thMethuselah and Mcdonalds

Sorry, my last post was mistakable.
In case I confused you I clarify it a bit.

I wrote:

What I actually wanted to say was:
I´m happy a small country will win. Will be very deserved also. All the teams of the big European countries more or less dissappointed with the exception of England probably.

I wanted to refer to countries, not teams; expressing my happiness that the team of a small country will win.
The Czech Republik, the Netherlands and the others are small countries imho, but their teams are of course great ones in this tournament .
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 17:13   Link #247
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Sweden 0:0 Netherlands

I hope that atleast the penalty shoot outs will be entertaining in this generally mediocre game. The Netherlands had not much luck in penalty shoot outs in the past, so lets see if they will break their streak of bad luck today
(speaks for itself that noone posted about this game yet )
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 17:18   Link #248
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Sweden 0:0 Netherlands

I hope that atleast the penalty shoot outs will be entertaining in this generally mediocre game. The Netherlands had not much luck in penalty shoot outs in the past, so lets see if they will break their streak of bad luck today
(speaks for itself that noone posted about this game yet )
Funny thing... i was today with my friends on a bar drinking a coffee (and with several swedish, dutch, *insert other nationality here* passing by ) and I was saying the game would be decided on Penalty scores... Good thing i didn't made bets about the winner of the game.
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 17:26   Link #249
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Funny thing... i was today with my friends on a bar drinking a coffee (and with several swedish, dutch, *insert other nationality here* passing by ) and I was saying the game would be decided on Penalty scores... Good thing i didn't made bets about the winner of the game.
Well, it's decided: Netherlands will match up against Portugal in the semi finals. I hope this time they will wear their orange football shirt and not the ugly white ones ^_^
Old 2004-06-26, 17:33   Link #250
Blaat

Doubtful, the host nations play at home
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 17:47   Link #251
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Why didnt they wear orange this time?

That was a boring game... I expected more of sweden after the great games in the beginning.
Now in the finals they are all playing to cautious, so they wont fall behind to early.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 18:14   Link #252
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
They will play with their Orange ones... Portugal doesn't have orange on it's equipment, so guess what that means.
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 18:32   Link #253
Blaat

Portugal = red, so it could be confusing. Same with Swedish yellow.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Netherlands played in white again.
Old 2004-06-26, 19:44   Link #254
7thMethuselah

Hmm this was a boooooring game, I expected more from the Netherlands. In the end i wanted Sweden to win but penalties are a lottery, you never know who's gonna win...

Oh well let's hope Czechia vs Denmark is a more interesting game. So far I've been rather impressed by the football brought by the Czechs so I am kinda anticipating a good game.
Old 2004-06-26, 20:05   Link #255
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Well, that makes it 3/3 for me so far in my predictions for the quarters. Tonight the Czechs shall power on! I hope...

Portugal vs Holland
Greece vs Czech
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 20:08   Link #256
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Well, that makes it 3/3 for me so far in my predictions for the quarters. Tonight the Czechs shall power on! I hope...

Portugal vs Holland
Greece vs Czech
There is not much to hope for the first match since it's decided already
And yes, I'd like to see the Czechs in the semi finals as well. They seem to be the favorites with Portugal, so I hope Greece will beat the Czechs - I really like the surprising and unbelievable moments in football. ^_^ (Who does not?)

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-06-26 at 20:09. Reason: OMG, I can't spell
Old 2004-06-26, 20:17   Link #257
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I want the greek to win the tournament now.
They've got a german trainer (last german in the tournament... except from that referee Merk ), he looks so happy everytime they win.

Also, the netherlands MUST lose the next game. I dont know why... they said it on tv... uhm... and everytime they win my friends cousin will call from venlo to laugh at me! :fingers: (well... he didnt call yet, but I know he wants to!
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 02:24   Link #258
cRoNoXz

I heard there are 3 shots that strike the post during extra time in the match Netherlands vs Sweden..

Anyway Greece Rulz! Live Angelos Charisteas!
cRoNoXz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 02:36   Link #259
7thMethuselah

yeah Czechia is the one destined to win this evening. They've given us some awesome matches allready this tournament, however I'm cheering for Denmark this evening With a semi final greece-denmark we would have quite a surprising team in the finals.
Portugal vs the Netherlands: If the netherlands don't improve their play fast they'll get eaten alive by the Portuguese. Not to mention the enormous support they hvae because they play at home.
Anyway, the tournament is more or less wide open, the major candidates for the title are ousted allready, everyone can win the EC this year
Old 2004-06-27, 04:00   Link #260
Blaat

Yeah I like that way to be honest. Last time it was France, Portugal, Italy and Netherlands in the semi and you knew that both Portugal and Netherland didn't stand a chance against their counterpart.

I hope Portugal win but I think Netherlands will get pass them. Statistics are against them e.g. host nation not getting into the final, Portugal never passed the semi-final besides their luck have to run out some time.

Interesting note though, the final could be a rematch.

Tags
football, soccer