Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-09, 18:28   Link #221
dweller of the deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
My reaction to the first episode was "what the hell did I just watch?!"
geez, exactly the same thing here! But it was fun tough.
dweller of the deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 19:00   Link #222
ProdigalSon
Ragnarocker

The opening stuff made me think of Venture Bros. with the old school thrilla music and over the top action, i.e. fists flying, blood everywhere, etc.
ProdigalSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 19:15   Link #223
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

"What, is your right side lonesome?"

Nobody makes a comment about 'em paper cutter? I thought that was more violent. Trying to staple someone is what a primary school kid does. Besides, biting on an ulcer hurts more, and sheds more blood.

Blood, that's what this episode is missing. No words from fellow ShinboXSHAFT supporters? Twin production ZSZS just ran through a whole blood bank in the first episode. A (ex-)vampire character in the episode and the only blood shed is his own.

Ah, but that is what counts. Portrayal of violence without use of red matter. Turning harmless childrens' stationeries into an adolescent's arsenal. Reaching the essence of what violence is all about: fear. But still, those polished, intricately patterned, rendered floor tiles of SHAFT's fetish scream to be stained by an orgasmic explosion of hamaeglobin.

The above commentary was heavily influenced by loss of blood and reduced sense of judgment. Can't resist Mariya figurine sitting in front of me. The views expressed don't represent anyone.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 22:37   Link #224
Ashlotte
Clockwork

teelotes...really...right aligning text?

The boxcutter probably isn't as memorable because while it may be able to inflict more harm in the end the stapler was the only one that got any action...Plus we all know theirs already a Queen of boxcutters so our girl here needs her own Niche.

Nice arts btw...Makes me look forward to seeing more of a motorcycle helmet wearing loli...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 22:58   Link #225
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Really... how can you TELL...
Because, I keep finding myself doing this:

Oh, and one that probably needs an NSFW warning...
Spoiler for NSFW:
Old 2009-07-09, 23:45   Link #226
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
This was interesting, certainly; the artwork was quite spectacular, and I will wait to see where this story goes. I was turned off a bit by the vampire girl's needless violence, and the sort of new age/spiritual explanation given for her weightlessness (that it was just her attitude.) But this definitely is different.
Hitagi is not a vampire.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 23:56   Link #227
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, I just finished the first episode a couple minutes ago... and I'm HOOKED! Shame that the light novels aren't translated, as I'd really love to read them (and my Japanese otherwise isn't exactly what you'd call very good)

A guy who's a vampire (or at least was) that not your typical, snobbish one that most male vampires seem to be, a staple ninja who I just can't help but love for some reason that can't be defined, and Oshino is a very peculiar fellow who definitely knows a lot. Yes, these characters make it a keeper

I'm just going to have to tolerate SHAFT's artwork (and I've never seen a ShinboxSHAFT production as far as I can recall).

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 03:17   Link #228
asrielchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
This was interesting, certainly; the artwork was quite spectacular, and I will wait to see where this story goes. I was turned off a bit by the vampire girl's needless violence, and the sort of new age/spiritual explanation given for her weightlessness (that it was just her attitude.) But this definitely is different.
I thought Hitagi did actually encounter the Crab/God, but it's only because she wanted that, not that it was merely an accident or something. So Oshino wasn't pleased with her seeing herself as a victim.

...or do I just got that part completely wrong?
Old 2009-07-10, 03:26   Link #229
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
I thought Hitagi did actually encounter the Crab/God, but it's only because she wanted that, not that it was merely an accident or something. So Oshino wasn't pleased with her seeing herself as a victim.

...or do I just got that part completely wrong?
That's the impression I got as well; probably something to do with her runner status. Don't really understand why she's so pissed off about it though.
Old 2009-07-10, 04:48   Link #230
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
For Hitagi/Kani, my impression/speculation is that she felt the weight of being popular, liked and in general successful and the centre of attention, so when she was about to enter a new school, where very few would know her, she felt it as a chance to loose all this weight, hence the crab came to her. Also this is in line with Tsubasa's comment (excellent nekomimi stills, by the way ), when she says that now she is more attractive. Hitagi, to some extent, realized this and was on one hand relieved, but on the other annoyed ... this also fits the way she described her herself.

By the way I must ASAP get the novels, the witty dialogue form is something that intrigues me. Also despite I love SHAFT's visuals, I tend to think that Bakemonogatari would be better suited for theater or live-action, because of the dialogue.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 04:53   Link #231
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Also despite I love SHAFT's visuals, I tend to think that Bakemonogatari would be better suited for theater or live-action, because of the dialogue.
Hm, to see someone stapled and tortured with school equipment would be a interesting live performance indeed.
Old 2009-07-10, 05:00   Link #232
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Hm, to see someone stapled and tortured with school equipment would be a interesting live performance indeed.
Yes, indeed; and in any case you see more horrible and disgusting scenes in an average Hollywood film. But this is still not the reason I think it would more fitting than an anime.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 05:25   Link #233
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

A live action instead of Shinbo's visuals? No thank you.
Old 2009-07-10, 05:57   Link #234
sirn
田舎者言うな

The series is actually best suited as a novel. : Some jokes aren't as funny when they actually say it.

Finally got a chance to read the interview in that A3-sized guidebook, quite satisfying for 2,286 yen price tag. Really surprised at how good Kumeta Kouji's illustration is.

Quote:
Interviews in the guidebook
- Storyboard composition will mostly based on Koyomi's viewpoint. That way, they can show the girl's reaction to his Tsukkomi.
- The first episode has serious-tone so we used a lot of cuts and still images, the second episode's animation will make you surprised. (Akio Watanabe)
- The order received for the first PV was "make it Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei-like". (Tatsuya Oishi)
- For light novels, I believe everyone's image will be different, so please think of the anime as "Bakemonogatari that was created from Shaft staffs' image". (Tatsuya Oishi)
- Since Hitagi's theme song will be the first song being used, it has to create the atmosphere for the whole series so I made it so it theme song-ish. Other chapter's will be more of a character song. (Kosaki Satoru)
- Nadeko's opening song will not be very Nadeko-like, since she's too well-behaved making you want to tease her. (Kosaki Satoru)
- We're going to the different direction than Akio Watanabe's illustration on background art, as you've seen from the first episode. (Iijima Toshiharu)
- Takeuchi Nobuyuki's design make me surprised. (Iijima Toshiharu)
- Shinobu's line in the drama CD is an absurd demand for Hirano Aya.
- "ロリかっけー!!!" Emiro Kato
Four hours until the second episode!
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 07:06   Link #235
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
- The first episode has serious-tone so we used a lot of cuts and still images, the second episode's animation will make you surprised. (Akio Watanabe)
OK now I guess I have to watch it as soon as possible (even if the raw of the first episode give me a terrible headache XD)
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 08:02   Link #236
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
For Hitagi/Kani, my impression/speculation is that she felt the weight of being popular, liked and in general successful and the centre of attention, so when she was about to enter a new school, where very few would know her, she felt it as a chance to loose all this weight, hence the crab came to her.
When you put it that way, I'm surprised it was a crab and not Shonen Bat

Wonder what a Shaft version of Paranoia Agent would look like...
Old 2009-07-10, 10:21   Link #237
prnoct90

it's aired right?
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 11:34   Link #238
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Wow, this is really bad. The source material itself seems pretty dumb, but the over-the-top "camera angles" and effects would pretty much ruin even a good a concept. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything positive to say about it except that I liked the class rep's character and voice-acting.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:56   Link #239
sirn
田舎者言うな

The second episode is good, conversations at the beginning are really good compared to the first episode. There are still a lot of long shots and 'what the hell' directions at places, though but they did animate the scene at the beginning very well.

Pacing at the end is a bit off, but judging from what the Assistant Producer Oshima Miku said on the official blog, it's more of an editing problem than direction miss (not enough broadcast time) so I guess it'll be fixed in the BD/DVD release.

Overall, I'm pleased by this episode although I do wish they could do the
Spoiler:
scene properly, but the trick used is acceptable, this is TV broadcast anyway…

Fire sisters at the end are damn cute as expected! The ending credits listed two animation directors and three assistant make me a bit worried, though. (More animation directors = bad scheduling.)

The OP: typical Oishi Tatsuya stuff, but the animation resource is very limited this time, I guess.
The ED: no change due to editing problem, will restore in the BD/DVD release.
Next: Mayoi Snail. The real beginning.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 11:59   Link #240
prnoct90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
The second episode is good, conversations at the beginning are really good compared to the first episode. There are still a lot of long shots and 'what the hell' directions at places, though but they did animate the scene at the beginning very well.

Pacing at the end is a bit off, but judging from what the Assistant Producer Oshima Miku said on the official blog, it's more of an editing problem than direction miss (not enough broadcast time) so I guess it'll be fixed in the BD/DVD release.

Overall, I'm pleased by this episode although I do wish they could do the
Spoiler:
scene properly, but the trick used is acceptable, this is TV broadcast anyway…

Fire sisters at the end are damn cute as expected!

Next: Mayoi Snail. The real beginning, I guess.
How's the actual opening?
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural