AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-11-11, 11:28   Link #41
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Now and Then, Here and There is just too dark and postapocalyptic in comparison to Patema (I guess).

More like Upside Down
Now and Then also was kinda not my cup of tea and the bad guy is one of my most disliked from any medium.

Am looking forward to this one, though....
Old 2013-11-12, 00:30   Link #42
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Quote:
Now and Then, Here and There is just too dark and postapocalyptic in comparison to Patema (I guess).

More like Upside Down
Now and Then also was kinda not my cup of tea and the bad guy is one of my most disliked from any medium.

If the main villain was not liked, rather, hated, then he did a good job in my book. He was supposed to be hated by the viewer; his knowledge and worth was very little, yet he controlled so much and inflicted so much pain, you couldn't have any sympathy for him when he met his demise. In fact, his death was so ironic, given what he sought after, I was practically celebrating when it finally happened.

Err, anyway, I just noticed some similarities. The simpler art style, how the boy and girl are depicted. Heck, even the guy in the purple suit looks like Hamdo =01. I'm not expecting NTHT levels of brutality or anything, but that similar aura is there.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 04:20   Link #43
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

hey is the movie released already? i'm looking forward to this and will waiting for english subs
Old 2014-01-28, 23:32   Link #44
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohowell View Post
hey is the movie released already? i'm looking forward to this and will waiting for english subs
No. The japanese original edition should be out by august, if I'm not mistaken.

Meanwhile Reanimedia licensed Patema in CIS (cinema showings, BD\DVD\TV\Internet)
Old 2014-03-14, 15:41   Link #45
konart

Just returned from the movie.

Pure win. It's so bright (even in it's darkest moments) - you want to hug all those people who made it, who were sitting next to you and even characters of the movie.

I'm overwhelmed with emotions
Old 2014-03-15, 01:40   Link #46
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Just returned from the movie.

Pure win. It's so bright (even in it's darkest moments) - you want to hug all those people who made it, who were sitting next to you and even characters of the movie.

I'm overwhelmed with emotions
To bad they canceled Ukrainian screenings because of the situation. My acquaintance (he voiced Age in Russian dub) really praised the film.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 08:04   Link #47
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blu-Ray and DVD releases will be out April 25.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 18:02   Link #48
Tiberium Wolf

The new world at the end of the movie made me all confused. I can't figure out what's their world looks like. Good movie anyway.
Old 2014-05-15, 18:24   Link #49
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I thought it was a pretty good movie overall, but it did take some pondering after it was all done to try and make some semblance of sense of the setting.

That being said - I really liked the interaction and relationship between the two MC's. ^^
Old 2014-05-15, 20:42   Link #50
vaden

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Patema absolutely nailed the epic visuals, but the story was more of a mixed bag — the kind of subtlety I'd come to expect from Yasuhiro Yoshiura got checked at the door somewhere. In a way, it reminds me of Makoto Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below more than anything else, in that it seems to have traded away some of its director's traditional strengths in favor of just making everything bigger. That being said, I think Patema acquits itself better in the end. I particularly liked the kinda whimsical dynamic Age and Patema had going.

While I'm at it, can someone explain to me why so many sci-fi anime dystopias seem to use English as their primary language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
The new world at the end of the movie made me all confused. I can't figure out what's their world looks like. Good movie anyway.
I had exactly the opposite reaction — things suddenly made a lot more sense to me with the last scene. I had been spending a lot of time during the movie pondering how nobody noticed a giant upside-down industrial wreck above Aiga, but once I realized that it was their artificial underground sky, it all clicked. The moon with the ring of debris floating around it was a nice touch. I couldn't help but think of Pale Cocoon when I saw it.
Old 2014-05-16, 00:13   Link #51
xatom12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

he is not actually bad he is just a tyrant guy who wants to control the world via Religion Belief(its like on Middle Age of Christianity or Islam that restricting values of Science due it could lead to lose more believers for example the Earth is center of the universe while the sun rotating on earth)

UpSide Down is more apocalyptic economy due Uppers wants items on Downers
without paying the same price while downers paying high price for item of uppers....that changed by some guy with Dual Gravity Law Concept meanwhile the World of Patema mostly without a "Earth's Core that give gravity due to accidental experiment that changed the world
xatom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 03:01   Link #52
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
I had exactly the opposite reaction — things suddenly made a lot more sense to me with the last scene. I had been spending a lot of time during the movie pondering how nobody noticed a giant upside-down industrial wreck above Aiga, but once I realized that it was their artificial underground sky, it all clicked. The moon with the ring of debris floating around it was a nice touch. I couldn't help but think of Pale Cocoon when I saw it.
I reach that conclusion too but I still don't get it how they could present the Aiga sky as clear blue and how they couldn't see earth if they are a floating island. If they are very high up in sky they wouldn't have air to survive.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2014-05-16 at 04:24.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 03:28   Link #53
Calca
Expressionless

Finally get to watch this, looking forward to it.. I'll give my thoughts after I find the time to do so (probably this weekend)
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 07:29   Link #54
vaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I reach that conclusion too but I still don't get it how they could present the Aiga sky as clear blue and how they couldn't see earth if they are a floating island. If they are very high up in sky they wouldn't have air to survive.
Spoiler for ASCII diagram!:
Old 2014-05-16, 15:26   Link #55
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

Amazing amazing ! Just amazing !

This movie is amazing ! Everything upside down, that's the way until the end. I waited for 2 freakin years to see it and I loved it ! And that ending *___*

If only I could see more movies like this one !
Old 2014-05-17, 06:58   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a very good movie, but I felt there was something missing to make it as great as Yoshiura's previous works. Don't ask me what it is, I'm not sure myself. It just didn't grab me as much as the Time of Eve and Pale Cocoon. I would have enjoyed a more intimate story.

The visuals were excellent and I particularly liked the reversal of perspectives. Made me feel dizzy, in a good way. I loved the concept of the movie and the final twist was great even if a little predictable. A shame the movie ended where it did, I would have liked to see what the future olds for Patema and Age. Is a romantic relationship possible between inverted people?
Old 2014-05-17, 16:41   Link #57
Dextro
He Without a Title

Ok I was finally able to watch this after waiting for so long and I must say that I enjoyed it very much and am rather happy to have already put my pre-order down for the English release.

I was, however, a bit disappointed in the directing of the movie due to a very minor detail that kept bothering me throughout the film. In one simple word: fade to black. For some reason the movie seems to be filled with scenes ending in rather jarring fades that makes me wonder if this wasn't meant to be a set of OVA instead of a full blown motion picture. All I have is one single mandatory course during my college years but I do remember my teacher telling us that fades are usually a no go in editing a movie and after watching Sakasama no Patema I can understand why. Maybe it was just me having that bit of teaching in me that drove me to notice those particular scenes so much but it was rather odd since I felt like sometimes a hard cut would have been better. But like I said I'm just an amateur when it comes to directing.

I was also expecting them to find the cause of the invertedness at the end of the movie somehow (I watched the full credits waiting for a scene afterwards with no such luck) but I'm not surprised they didn't. The ending works wonderfully as it is and it's a very Japanese thing to do leaving everything in a somewhat bitter-sweet tone. Patema and Age clearly understand each other very well but they can never really be together. A shame really.
Old 2014-05-18, 08:55   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I was also expecting them to find the cause of the invertedness at the end of the movie somehow (I watched the full credits waiting for a scene afterwards with no such luck) but I'm not surprised they didn't.
They explained it during the movie. It was an experiment (I forgot what they were trying to do exactly) gone wrong, it reversed gravity for all the people and matter that were on the site of the incident.
Old 2014-05-18, 09:01   Link #59
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They explained it during the movie. It was an experiment (I forgot what they were trying to do exactly) gone wrong, it reversed gravity for all the people and matter that were on the site of the incident.
Yes, I understand what happened but I meant that I was expecting them to physical find the cause and a way to reverse it/shut it down.
Old 2014-05-18, 23:06   Link #60
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The e-mail with the broken English kind of says it if you piece it together. It was actually an experiment for anti-gravity that went horribly wrong. I'm kind of curious about the rest of the world though. The earth is a much bigger place and the story was confined to just one small part.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote