AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-03-08, 05:25   Link #1
Duckinator

Looking for this particular anime/series....

Hi all. Recently I have been bugged with trying to remember an anime. I recall watching it when I was young, and I even had one of its toys. Hence I'm very certain that it aired in the 90s or earlier. So I hope some of you can help me identify the series. It would be best if you can link me to a picture of the robot I am describing, as I am able to identify the robot from one look.

1. It is likely to be an anime, I'm 99% certain it is not power rangers type of live action show.

2. There are fighting robots in the show. I don't believe they are sentient like in transformers. They should be piloted.

3. I'm 90% sure it is not gundam series.

4. The robot toy which I had is like a MMPR Megazord size. I remember that it has a Dragon chest piece. It has blue wings which is detachable from the toy, and has a fairly large wing span (adjustable). It has a battle form, and may or may not have a dragon form (75% sure). I believe that the neck of the dragon forms a shield, and a sword could be attached to it. I recall that my robot toy could be separated into half (75% sure). I believe that it could be combined with another robot. The dragon chest piece should be part of the head (like a crown) of the combined robot.

Thanks for your help. Also could I have the name of the genre of such shows? As in it's not a transformers type, but people piloting robots which may combine into a bigger one. Thanks again!

[Edit]

Moments after I posted this, I decided to continue my google search. I googled 'dragon neck as shield robot' and got this picture:

This is the robot that I had!
Duckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 07:22   Link #2
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
A bit of googling with that image led me to this show:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2459

Is this it?
Old 2014-03-08, 07:34   Link #3
Duckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
A bit of googling with that image led me to this show:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2459

Is this it?
Yea. I just found it too. Haha. At first I was thinking of Super Robot War, but then I realised it was some mash up of robots haha. Anyway seems like a kids show Haha, but nostalgic to see it again. Thanks for searching.

Anyway now that this is found, there's another one which I'm looking for. I'm not sure if its American or Japanese cartoon. I can't remember much details about this to describe, so I will probably have to search it myself. Hence:

1) What's the genre of such series? Mainly like piloting robots, which may transform and combine as well. Is it generically termed 'mecha'? Or is there a specific term for it.

2) PS. Only thing I remember about the show is that the people pilot/summon robots to fight, and these robots should be vehicles (I think they are planes/flying kinds)
Old 2014-03-08, 10:02   Link #4
TheSix

I haven't seen the series, but looking at the summary and some other details presented in this thread I would say it probably belongs to the "super robot" subgenre of mecha: Series that emphasise the more fantastic, idealistic and colourful portions of the mecha genre, as opposed to "real robot" series, which generally focus more on serious drama and perhaps political/military elements.

Last edited by TheSix; 2014-03-08 at 10:23.
TheSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 10:12   Link #5
Rayneing
Trombe!

It's Raijin-Oh.
Old 2014-03-08, 12:18   Link #6
Duckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSix View Post
I haven't seen the series, but looking at the summary and some other details presented in this thread I would say it probably belongs to the "super robot" subgenre of mecha: Series that emphasise the more fantastic, idealistic and colourful portions of the mecha genre, as opposed to "real robot" series, which generally focus more on serious drama and perhaps political/military elements.
Ah 'super robot'. I suppose yea fantastic idealistic would be right terms, after all they were my childhood shows and were probably too innocent and easy for me to understand

I'm now going through a random list of shows with this genre. Going to be troublesome because most of them all look like Gundams when I'm looking for a more transformer style (albeit piloted) haha
Old 2014-03-08, 12:42   Link #7
Duckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckinator View Post
Ah 'super robot'. I suppose yea fantastic idealistic would be right terms, after all they were my childhood shows and were probably too innocent and easy for me to understand

I'm now going through a random list of shows with this genre. Going to be troublesome because most of them all look like Gundams when I'm looking for a more transformer style (albeit piloted) haha
[Edit]

If anyone wants to help, the only things I can say is:

1. There were 3 'planes' (I think) that were always used by the protagonist for some reason (probably called as a finisher or assist or just a flying fighter). Later in the show, these 3 planes was shown to be able to combine into a robot and piloted.

2. I really think that all robots were based on vehicles or planes, and they could be piloted.

3. Again it should be shown in the 90s, and the plot shouldn't be that serious.

Not really very helpful descriptions :P