AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 01:21   Link #1
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Does anyone Paintball?

I was recently in a LAN cafe playing Counter-Strike and Battlefield: Vietnam when I wondered how all the nerds like me in the cafe would fare in paintball. Then it hit me that anime had it's share of nerds as well, so I decided to ask here.

Has anyone in here paintballed? Or does anyone paintball regularly? What gun do you have, if any? Any interesting stories?

I started paintballing about two years ago and paintballed almost every month. I stoped recently due to the fact that the local field [Target Zone] closed. But I hear a new one opened, so I will check it out.
I currently own 3 guns. One is a Point Zero Model 83. It's plastic, but I entered paintball with it. Then I have a well-modified Tippman Model 98 and a Armotech Zeus G2 pistol. I used to own a Phantom VSC pump, which I sold. I miss it...
I'll post some stories as soon as others post.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 01:32   Link #2
RichMan
????

I don't paintball, but my friends and I do play around with air-compressed rubber pellet guns. My friend is really into guns, he even has a license to own an M4A1(this is the standard American rifle).

The way we play is making teams (usually 2v2 or 3v3) then we find a place to play. We used to play in the new houses. It was great, we did it like 5 or 6 times, then they(I wasn't there the last time) got caught by the cops. Now we just play in my friends backyard. Last time we played, we made swat shields out of cardboard and made a viewing window in them out of plastic wrap.

The air-guns are alright, they do cut through the skin, but it only leaves a tiny mark that heals in a day or 2(unless it's a close range shot that leaves a big mark, then that'll take like a week to heal)

Right now he only has 4 standard handgun-type airguns(none of these are auto's) and 1 machine gun-type one(this is the best one to use, but uses alot of ammo). Pretty soon he should be getting a few automatics.(I can't wait, this is going to be great!)

He's also the guy that got me into CounterStrike.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 03:40   Link #3
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
Has anyone in here paintballed? Or does anyone paintball regularly? What gun do you have, if any? Any interesting stories?
Yes. 1-3 times a month. And scenario play in the past when we've had a scenario-friendly field. Right now I am using an A-5, in the past I used a Tippmann 98 (original, not custom).

My scenario group tried playing with the local airsoft group once, but there were two problems. In airsoft you yell 'hit' and in paintball you yell 'out'. We are primarily paintball players so we yelled 'out' and that got the rest of the people upset at us because we were not yelling the 'right' thing. Then the airsoft guys keep hitting on some of us, one of our group pulled out her gun and shot a guy in the waiting area, before you knew it everyone was shooting everyone else (in the waiting area) and we got out of there and left. We did use airsoft once more for a JRA (japanese red army) scenario where one side had guns (spring only, that's all we had) and the other swords. Other than that, no more airsoft.

As for paintball stories, none really. You chose a tippmann so probably you understand this. The crowd playing paintball at the local fields keeps getting wierder and wierder, the guns keep getting more and more shiny and funny-looking, electronics are ever more prone to locking up or burning out, ever since the rest of world went blowback I won't lay hands on anything other than a tippmann. Paintball is growing in popularity, that is for sure. I wouldn't have sold the phantom either, those were/are great guns. I saw one on the local field the next to last time I played.

I miss scenario play. We had the best historical / LARP scenarios but the field we used got destroyed and then changed ownership twice. New owner isn't too scenario friendly (especially historical live-action roleplay scenarios) but his field is failing anyways. There's 2 good walk-on fields in my town and several others within an hour driving distance.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:57   Link #4
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
I've played for about 3 years now. First gun i had was one of them crappy pumps you buy at *-Mart. Never played a game with it just shot it around my house. Then i bought a model 98 tippman, This was the first i gun played a real game with. Now I'm onto a wgp E-class orracle. I'm on a tourney team. I still enjoy woodsball but i play mostly speedball.
My teams site is

http://www.elementzpaintball.com/Tea...ementzBlue.htm

I had been playing every week but I've cut back as it tends to get really expensive playing every week. Especially with the amount of paint you tend to shoot playing speedball. (i shoot less then most and still go through almost a case in a day.)

Last edited by Raven_Zero; 2004-04-08 at 01:52.
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:21   Link #5
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Hmm, I've always been kinda interested in paintball but never got into it. I heard its an expensive hobby. Can you guys answer some newb questions?

1) What is all this historical role-play scenario? Do you re-enact real battles kill for kill?

2) What's the difference between this paintball/rubber pellet/airsoft stuff?

3) How painful is it getting hit? Do you bleed, or is just like a scratch?

I'm sure more newb stuff is to come later
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:37   Link #6
wnkryo
HainShodan

I piantball some saturdays with my cousin and some friends. We found some hot locations to play with. One is in a forest, anther is in this play ground (that's huge), and the last one is like this big open field where we just suicide. We usually play 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, depends on the crowd. I got p76 thunder; it's a custom paintball gun that my uncle's friend made for me, and my cousin uses this little gun (I don't even care to ask what the name is) so I lend him some other guns from my stash. Of course we got the regular eqiupment; extra paintballs, masks, and other stuff. We put all the extra paint balls in one location so if some one runs out and wants to get some more, one of us camps at the spot and just nails the sucker

By the way, even though there paint balls they hurt like hell!
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:42   Link #7
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
i dont paintball...but i airsoft

http://www.pbase.com/mcn5/inbox

gun of choice is my tokyo marui steyr aug special receiver internally upgraded to 420+ fps
as such, it took a hit to the scope covers and i need to get another one from a hunting store =/

ive been paintballing once, airsofting once every 2 weeks or so
i dunno...airsoft has held me for a longer time than paintball

on the average, airsoft pellets hurt less than paintball...but ive seen people shot up real bad....bleeding doesnt stop for a day or so..
aaand...there is always this poor guy which serves as a reminder to us not to go full auto in close combat

upgraded guns close range = baaaad
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:44   Link #8
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
Well i've played a few senario game we mostly played stuff like. There's a pilot down you have to go in and get him out kind stuff, Also some mission type games were you have checkpoints and things.

The main differances are the gun, Ammo type and rate of fire. I've played airsoft a few times. I've played with a springer and an aeg. The springers are pretty much like a cheap bb gun, aeg's are electric and fire full auto also they get upto about 400-500 fps when you upgrade them. In airsoft theres really no marks so it's all based on trust you have to trust a guy to call hit when he's hit. Airsoft guns shoot little plastic bb's they can also shoot little paintballs but most company say not to use them.

As for paintball guns start at the blowback types like the m98 and spyder and move along to the electronics like the impulse, angel and matrix. They all pretty much shoot 300 fps as thats the limit all fields go buy(you gun crank them up but it's gunna hurt and could kill you if your hit in the right spot) Loer end guns get about 6+ bps (balls per second) where as the higher end guns can shoot 20+ bps
on most fields they dont allow full auto but some guns to come with it. Paintball guns shoot a 68 caliber hard shell ball filled with paint leaving a visable mark.

Paintball is way more expensize then airsoft. You can buy a springer type arisoft gun for as litle as 20$ aeg's are rather expensive i've seen some fore 350$
ammo is really very cheap i've sen 2000 rounds for 10$ before.

Paintball guns can be had cheap 20 for a crappy *-mart pump the higher end guns can be as much as 2000$
Paintballs range in price from 20-30 for 2000 upto 70+ for 2000. the cheap one's dont work so well tend to break in your gun or not go stright.

As for pain airsoft is like getting slapped with a rubberband. paintball hurts a litle more. But if your out on the field playing you prolly wont even notice it.
But it's best to wear long sleeve shirts and some pants. you dont have to worry about fave shots in paintball as the mask is full face. heres some pics of some rather nasty paintball hits.
http://www.spaceman613.net/paintball...ll_of_pain.htm

It really comes down to what you like better and who plays what around where you live. Nobody around here plays airsoft everyone plays paintball. I also live 200 yards from the field i play at.
My Marker (well one like it i have no cam)
http://www.home.earthlik.net/~jobs0103/wgp_eclass.jpg

Last edited by Raven_Zero; 2004-04-07 at 00:57.
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:49   Link #9
baka manko
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to baka manko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Hmm, I've always been kinda interested in paintball but never got into it. I heard its an expensive hobby. Can you guys answer some newb questions?

1) What is all this historical role-play scenario? Do you re-enact real battles kill for kill?

not sure about the historical role play thing but the diff between paintball and airsoft is that well in paintball u have guns that have .68 caliber balls of paint and that requires co2 or nitro to shoot. In airsoft you have springloaded, gas, and eletronic guns that shoot plastic/rubber bb's theres more to it but thats the general idea i think

and ive played for 2 years but i havent been playing recently do to being a expensive hobby i used to play every week end but ya know one can only have so much money.

i have 3 guns one that i started out with is a zap which is pretty much like the Point Zero Model 83, then i went to a electronic rebel with a 6" barrel which was pretty good. Later one i got a electronic tippman with a 8" barrel and a "barrel extender" aka scilencer
It s been about a year or so since ive played but i was thinking about playing this week since im in spring break and got payed today woohoo 297.15 check
baka manko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:53   Link #10
MwyC

airsoft pellets are propelled 3 ways
well, 2 actually, but there are 3 categories

gas - commonly hfc 134a or hfc22...similar to the stuff found in computer air-in-a-can dusters
blowback guns recoil with a force similar to a .22 rifle
nonblowback, well...doesnt blow back with each shot

spring - ranges from the cheap pistols to the crazy expensive tuned sniper rifles

electric - uses a battery to wind gears, working a spring which is connected to a piston, using air to propel the bb
Old 2004-04-07, 01:59   Link #11
RichMan
????

You forgot CO2(well, I guess this counts in the air or gas section you talked about). Don't even try to "play" around with CO2 powered guns, if you get hit with those it'll do serious damage. you might even die if it hits a vital area(head, throat, heart, crotch)

I just stick with the air-compressed guns
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 02:02   Link #12
MwyC

oh, well you can use CO2 in airsoft, but without a regulator, they blow the slides right off

i think the CO2 guns you are thinking about are the actual bb guns...the 4.5mm metal pellets

airsoft fires either 6mm or 8mm plastic ones
Old 2004-04-07, 02:15   Link #13
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots

1) Based on modern history, but more 'for fun'. For instance we did a civil war scenario where everyone took the hoppers off their gun and single-loaded rounds. Some people had costumes. It was just funny because we all got in lines and did goofy things you don't normally do in ordinary play... each line had one 'general' who would yell 'load! aim! fire!' just like in the old civil war movies. The latest hit scenario group we did was based on the intifada (israeli vs. palestinian) where one side played the IDF and the other was split between 3 terrorist groups who competed for different objectives. See:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../intifada2.htm
You always want resurrection in a scenario; scenarios are based on objectives (like bombing or protecting a school bus); so in this way a scenario is more like an ongoing game that lasts many hours rather than being over in 15 minutes. Many scenarios have different types of 'players' like soldier, terrorist, human shield, etc.

Roleplay means that you 'play' a real person, ie. you dress as they would dress, you say what they would say, you have whatever motives for fighting that they have, etc. Like if you're 'playing' the taliban you dress up like they would, you wear long beards, you fight / 'die' like they would, etc.

2) Pretty much what everyone above said, except, the true cost in paintball comes from the paint. EVIL is about $60.00 / 2000 rounds, Cheaper (but usable) paints are $40.00 / 2000 rounds. Airsoft BBs are much cheaper than this. If you don't learn to conserve your ammo paintball can become very expensive.

3) It depends on the range and style of play. It can hurt if you are not used to pain and you get hit up close. Paintball is limited to 300fps or sometimes less, airsoft is generally limited to between 350-400fps.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 02:46   Link #14
MwyC

except for the airsoft bolt action sniper rifles
those are usually 500

the folks in the philippines are pretty crazy though...with their 600 fps full auto rifles
Old 2004-04-07, 03:38   Link #15
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I've done paintball once, pretty fun. Airsoft, no.

But what I really wish they'd come out with is a gun that operates like a real one: using explosives to propel bullet and use recoil to reload for semi-autos and full autos.

Except that the bullet is something really weak like styrofoam or rubber, and the amount of explosive is really, really small compared to that of a real bullet, and the springs inside the guns are also weak to compensate for the lack of recoil power.

No funky CO2 or electric systems, just plain, tried-and-proven good ole gunpowder.
Old 2004-04-07, 05:31   Link #16
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

i went paint ball once and MAN did it hurt like hell..
i think id better find a different venue or just not go again...
Rhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 06:25   Link #17
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
i went paint ball once and MAN did it hurt like hell..
i think id better find a different venue or just not go again...
Speaking of getting hit, I got hit in the shoulder once. Hurt a bit.

Second, it didn't hurt since I was wearing the facemask, but I got shot in the face once too.
Old 2004-04-07, 06:38   Link #18
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
I've done paintball once, pretty fun. Airsoft, no.

But what I really wish they'd come out with is a gun that operates like a real one: using explosives to propel bullet and use recoil to reload for semi-autos and full autos.

Except that the bullet is something really weak like styrofoam or rubber, and the amount of explosive is really, really small compared to that of a real bullet, and the springs inside the guns are also weak to compensate for the lack of recoil power.

No funky CO2 or electric systems, just plain, tried-and-proven good ole gunpowder.
Back in the army we used something similar for the G3 (7.62 NATO ammu). After changing the system (action body/ receiver) <= to a very light weighted modell, we could use the plastic ammunition. Now the G3 wasn't as deadly as before... but in a range of 50m it'ld still cause deadly wounds. We used it just once, for the first shooting training to become familiar with the recoil. Later we used the normal ammunition which has a much stronger recoil ( some ppl got badly hurt in the face ). Well back to topic... it is too dangerous to build such mini caliber weapons with explosives as propellent. Some people maybe try to use a not official propellent which burns faster and gives the bullet a high enough speed to be deadly. With CO2 this is very unlikely. And the prizes for such weapons and the ammunition would be very high.

Last edited by Jinto; 2004-04-07 at 06:53.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 12:32   Link #19
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

My experience with paintball and pain is this: the first time you get hit in a day, it always hurts. However, I find that I hardly notice any hits later in the day, due to the nice adrenaline rush and the fact that I know what to expect after the first.
For some reason, mask shots hurt the least. If you have a solid mask [not one of those flexible ones] you won't feel any pain, but a "thud" off you mask. It really stinks to clean it off, though.
However, I hear it hurts to get shot in the crotch. I've personally never been shot there [a few close calls], but I've seen a lot of people suddenly double over while running for the next bunker...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 12:44   Link #20
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The voice of reason.... from experience.

A 3000psi crotch shot will drop you like a sack of potatoes...
You will then cry like a little girl for an undisclosed amount of time. ;_;

You should also forget walking for a few hours afterwards...
Hospitalization isn't a bad idea either. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote