AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-25, 22:13   Link #421
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
I checked this thread out before a long time ago, and then forgot it existed.

I'm really hoping that I can go back to Japan this summer for about three weeks. I've been suffering from withdrawals for a while now. Since I'm going to be taking summer classes next year, (and maybe the year after that if I don't graduate by then) if I can't go this summer, than I'm going to have to wait until I graduate before I can go back. Being away from Japan is pretty depressing for me as I initially had no intention of leaving, but then some things came up. If I do get to go, I'll just chill with family and friends. I wouldn't really be going on any trips to places unless I went on one with my family or friends.

And I guess I’ll ask these questions to stimulate some discussion in this thread.

What's your favorite place in Japan that you've been to?

Where's the number one place in Japan you would like to go?

I'm not sure on the first one at the moment, so I'll just answer my second question. And that would be Hokkaidou. I really want to check out the natural beauty of it, and maybe take the Gov up on their offer of free land. Haha.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 07:42   Link #422
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

[QUOTE=Ryuou;2237979]I checked this thread out before a long time ago, and then forgot it existed.

Quote:
I'm really hoping that I can go back to Japan this summer for about three weeks. I've been suffering from withdrawals for a while now. Since I'm going to be taking summer classes next year, (and maybe the year after that if I don't graduate by then) if I can't go this summer, than I'm going to have to wait until I graduate before I can go back. Being away from Japan is pretty depressing for me as I initially had no intention of leaving, but then some things came up. If I do get to go, I'll just chill with family and friends. I wouldn't really be going on any trips to places unless I went on one with my family or friends.
Haha, LOLZ. Never had that.

And I guess I’ll ask these questions to stimulate some discussion in this thread.

Quote:
What's your favorite place in Japan that you've been to?
As a local. I would say Ebisu Gardens. It's in the heart of Tokyo, nice place, if you have cash. A friend of mine working in Ebisu brought me there once.

As a tourist, I would suggest Izumo for a day-trip. Izumo is home to the grand shrine of Japan, the Izumo Taisha shrine.

You may also like to visit Hiroshima/Nagasaki, especially Nagasaki for the Catholics.

Quote:
Where's the number one place in Japan you would like to go?
Oddly, as a local, I have never been to Hokkaido at all. I would like to go there once. Take a slow 10-day tour and relax. I have 2 years worth of leave to clear, so there.

Quote:
I'm not sure on the first one at the moment, so I'll just answer my second question. And that would be Hokkaidou. I really want to check out the natural beauty of it, and maybe take the Gov up on their offer of free land. Haha.
Free land has no strings attached, but then again, if it's free, there's something wrong about it. PM me for more.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 15:14   Link #423
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

So Hokkaidou for you too huh, ShimatheKat.

Quote:
Haha, LOLZ. Never had that.
Well there's no problem if you leave Japan because you want to (i.e. vacation or just decide to move away), but I didn't leave because I wanted too. Thus my suffering.
Old 2009-02-27, 09:44   Link #424
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
So Hokkaidou for you too huh, ShimatheKat.
The cost makes it difficult. And traveling time too.

Quote:
Well there's no problem if you leave Japan because you want to (i.e. vacation or just decide to move away), but I didn't leave because I wanted too. Thus my suffering.
Oh.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 15:50   Link #425
kokiafan

is japan safe ?

i want to go to japan but i ve heard many things like foreign women are not safe in japan and the whole stabbing spree...

and for the ones who went to Japan, are the people there nice to foreigners ?
i ve heard that there is racial discrimination in japan

thanks ( sorry for my english)
kokiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 15:56   Link #426
james0246

LOL, Is anywhere safe?

Japan is, more or less, just like every other populace democratic country that a foreinger can visit. There is no more or less racism/violence in Japan compared to visiting most other nations on the planet. It is all fairly equal.

That being said, visit this thread to ask for which places to visit in Japan.

edit: damn, these posts were moved fast .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 15:58   Link #427
solomon

Probably the only major industrialized first world country I have heard you may have trouble with is Russia.

You seriously don't want to get arrested in Japan, cause you will never get it off your record and have little chance of being exonorated.

But in all seriousness it's probably the most safe first world country today (much better chance of running into trouble in american cities as opposed to Tokyo, Osaka, etc.)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 17:58   Link #428
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokiafan View Post
i want to go to japan but i ve heard many things like foreign women are not safe in japan and the whole stabbing spree...

and for the ones who went to Japan, are the people there nice to foreigners ?
i ve heard that there is racial discrimination in japan

thanks ( sorry for my english)
May I ask your gender/age/ethnicity, if you don't mind sharing?
I'm kinda curious to why you poised the question, was it something you heard I wonder?
Is Japan safe?
As someone mentioned in regards to the metro areas, 'as safe as any main city'
You always need to keep your wits about you, be street smart and sensible, aka don't walk in quiet dark places alone.
If you miss the last train about after 0.30, take a taxi and so on.

I'll admit though, to a degree, I take liberties with the fact that Tokyo is safer than London and will be walking around at night around midnight/1am on my own for a spell without being too concerned. Salarymen are kinda too drunk to even walk, let alone assult me, but nonetheless its better to be safe than sorry, so I try not to let my guard down completely.

Are people nice to foreigners?
Yes. If you go to Japan as a tourist (and planned the trip as you want it), you'll have one of the most magical, amazing times of your life.
If you live here as a resident, it's a different ballgame.

In that sense, you'll begin to see the cracks in the politeness mask that they don usubconsciously and see moments of discrimination.
The only difference in the form of discrimination is like a lot of things Japanese wise is, it's indirect and silent, but still very much felt.

Can be useful, means I don't get bombarded with flyers in Shinjuku cause they assume I can't understand Japanese or read kanji.
Also means I gotta fight to get those free tissues on the street though, they kinda withdraw their hands when they see me
(That's a very light and insignificant example I'm tossing, but you should get the idea...)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-03-05 at 18:09.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 14:28   Link #429
lixuelai

I would be more concerned about the police :P Funny (and scary for me) story. I got flagged down in Den Den Town in Osaka during the summer while I was on my study abroad. Not fun as I forgot to bring my passport. It took me awhile to actually believe the policemen were real policemen. They were in plain cloth and their badges looked pretty fake (just a picture and a badge on it, seems like something you can make with stuff in a toy store) and they didn't carry guns... They told me to follow them to the police box which is all fine and dandy except they were pointing down a dark side alley (later on I found out that it is on the next street over). Of course I refused to go so they said they will bring a squad car here (which happens to look like any other car off the street). They were just as puzzled as I was until I managed to puzzle out that the police box was not in some random alley... It all ended well though.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 15:20   Link #430
Jill Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
I would be more concerned about the police :P Funny (and scary for me) story. I got flagged down in Den Den Town in Osaka during the summer while I was on my study abroad. Not fun as I forgot to bring my passport. It took me awhile to actually believe the policemen were real policemen. They were in plain cloth and their badges looked pretty fake (just a picture and a badge on it, seems like something you can make with stuff in a toy store) and they didn't carry guns... They told me to follow them to the police box which is all fine and dandy except they were pointing down a dark side alley (later on I found out that it is on the next street over). Of course I refused to go so they said they will bring a squad car here (which happens to look like any other car off the street). They were just as puzzled as I was until I managed to puzzle out that the police box was not in some random alley... It all ended well though.

Lol now that i heard this i think i am going there with my parents O.O
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 21:45   Link #431
EmP|ty
Yea!

Send a message via MSN to EmP|ty
Haha, one of my friends is living in Tokyo now, says it is the best thing that has ever happened to him, apart from the plane journey there, but that's another story.

Although he lives in Tokyo and says he hasn't seen a single blade of grass in around 4 months lol 0.0
EmP|ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 21:54   Link #432
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Although he lives in Tokyo and says he hasn't seen a single blade of grass in around 4 months lol 0.0
Yeah that's an aspect of Tokyo that I hate. It's a concrete jungle.
Old 2009-03-07, 06:30   Link #433
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmP|ty View Post
Haha, one of my friends is living in Tokyo now, says it is the best thing that has ever happened to him, apart from the plane journey there, but that's another story.

Go west, young man! West Tokyo [Tama] has a big park you can't miss.
Old 2009-03-07, 06:39   Link #434
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yeah that's an aspect of Tokyo that I hate. It's a concrete jungle.

Uhh right, because Yoyogi park is just one big ass mass of sand, right?

Or even better, Uneo Park is an ocean!
And don't even get me started with Shinjuku Goen, Higashi Goen (near the Imperial palace), Hibiya Park.

Gee I know Tokyo is concrete haven than most cities in Japan, but parks do exist in freaking captial cities. The one's I listed are just tourist trap ones even.
Just walk off the main path, turn a corner or two and you may be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find, especially in a country like Japan.
</city slicker rant>

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-03-07, 06:44   Link #435
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Uhh right, because Yoyogi park is just one big ass mass of sand, right?

Or even better, Ueno Park is an ocean!
And don't even get me started with Shinjuku Goen, Higashi Goen (near the Imperial palace), Hibiya Park.

Gee I know Tokyo is concrete haven than most cities in Japan, but parks do exist in freaking captial cities. The one's I listed are just tourist trap ones even.
Just walk off the main path, turn a corner or two and you may be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find, especially in a country like Japan.
</city slicker rant>
Depends, as some parts of Tokyo ARE pretty concrete. I think he's just not been looking.
Still. I think it's a good idea to take a day trip out of Tokyo sometimes.
Old 2009-03-07, 07:07   Link #436
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Depends, as some parts of Tokyo ARE pretty concrete.
What... like the roads and buildings you mean? About 5 instant cities around the world spring to mind when I think 'concrete'
Quote:
I think he's just not been looking.
Still. I think it's a good idea to take a day trip out of Tokyo sometimes.
Bingo.
Tokyo won't offer green at every corner but if you make a little detour from your everyday lives and explore, it can be a pretty neat treasure grove in itself
Naturally, Yokohama (one of my top fav places) is next door below if you wanna step out of central metro Tokyo.
Visit Yamashita Park, Chinatown and all the port area in the spring and it's delightful. <3
*makes a mental note to do so herself in the coming spring weeks*

Old 2009-03-07, 07:09   Link #437
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
What... like the roads and buildings you mean? About 5 instant cities around the world spring to mind when I think 'concrete'
Shinjuku? Shibuya? I've never lived inside Tokyo proper, I always resided in Tama.

Quote:
Bingo.
Tokyo won't offer green at every corner but if you make a little detour from your everyday lives and explore, it can be a pretty neat treasure grove in itself
Naturally, Yokohama (one of my top fav places) is next door below if you wanna step out of central metro Tokyo.
Visit Yamashita Park, Chinatown and all the port area in the spring and it's delightful. <3
*makes a mental note to do so herself in the coming spring weeks*
Yokohama. Nice place. Also the only place in Japan that's more expensive in Tokyo IMO.
Old 2009-03-07, 10:43   Link #438
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Quote:
Probably the only major industrialized first world country I have heard you may have trouble with is Russia.
Uh, Russia is mentioned again. Now I'm gonna cry.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 12:33   Link #439
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

What? There are actually parks in Tokyo? Where the hell have I been looking all this time?

I'm talking about the lack of grass, trees, and greenery in many parts of Tokyo (the city, city parts). Sure you can go and find a park in many different places, but that doesn't change the fact that you've been walking for the past 20 minutes without seeing a single bit of green. (slightly exaggerated)
Old 2009-03-07, 19:51   Link #440
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
What? There are actually parks in Tokyo? Where the hell have I been looking all this time?
Out of a pair of 'Tokyo has no parks!' goggles, so you've never noticed, nor thought otherwise to try?

Quote:
I'm talking about the lack of grass, trees, and greenery in many parts of Tokyo (the city, city parts). Sure you can go and find a park in many different places, but that doesn't change the fact that you've been walking for the past 20 minutes without seeing a single bit of green. (slightly exaggerated)
That's the thing.
The reason I went off on one earlier is cause that's like people going 'there are no green in Egypt by the pyramids!!'
It. Is. A. City.
London and Tokyo aside, they're capital cities. They are central business HQ for Europe and Asia and I can even risk adding Singapore to that group too, but it's more well balanced as a little island landscape wise.
And if we're gonna narrow it down to central tourist trap areas,
It is a metropolitan area meant for businesses and consumerism and tourism.
Mass people? Yes.
Mass traffic? Yes.
Lots of hustle and bustle? Yes.
Parks? Yes.
Harbour? Sea? Yes. (Odaiba is one example for those who're wondering)

Like New York, like London, like the main business/shopping district of Singapore (Ochard Street iirc from visiting) there will be masses of concrete.
Hell New York dominates with skyscrapers too, when I went there, central Manhattan is pretty 'concrete'. The only main park that place has (that I know and went to) is Central Park, otherwise I saw no 'green' but wasn't actively looking for it anyways.
It's a c-i-t-y.
But yes, those are areas specifically built for industrial life. If you want green, you'd have to make a conscious effort to visit a park, and they have their fair share just as beautiful, peaceful in all its aesthetic Japanese glory.
Search it out, but do not randomly go 'uggh, don't visit Tokyo! It’s concrete and nothing else, waste of time.'
It's not just you guys, I've seen it time and time again in this thread, but this time it was enough to pass my 'endurance' (ganman) point.

That kinda ignorance irks me to no end.
Kyoto is great at all, but is just as crowded with tourists, hell, you'll catch more foreigners doing the same damn thing as you, trying to experience the same than you'll see natives. It also has it's fair share of traffic and noise, just that it has a diff atmosphere to the place but I personally don't see it as 'better' than Tokyo.
Osaka is no diff either, hit central tourist trap areas and we're looking at a mini Tokyo.
Shinjuku has Shinjuku park and Yoyogi next door and are lovely wide places. Shibuya, hop on the Yamanote Line for 1 stop to Harajuku and you're by the Imperial Park or 10mins ish walk from Yoyogi again.

So like I said, make an effort to research what you want in a city/town (for any holiday or foreign place you visit) and you may be surprised or heaven forbid, even satisfied and pleased.

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-03-07 at 20:03.

Tags
japan, travel