AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-21, 18:23   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Les Miserables: Shoujo Cossette

Production Company: Nippon Animation.

Expected Release Date: January 2007

Genre: Drama, Novel - the kind we had to endure reading and writing book reports in High School or in middle school if you were a smart Aleck.

Anyone who has done his/her share of classical reading should be aware of this title. It's one of the great reading which addresses so many aspects of being human with masterful dedication and tone. Everyone, I mean e v e r y o n e, should read it. Wiki has a good article on the book that may inspire some of you to pick up this reading who has yet to read it.
Les Misérables contains a multitude of plots, but the thread that binds them together is the story of the ex-convict Jean Valjean, known in prison only by his prisoner number, 24601, who becomes a force for good in the world, but cannot escape his past. The novel is divided into five parts, each part divided into books, and each book divided into chapters. Each chapter is relatively short; usually no longer than a few pages. Nevertheless, the book in its entirety is quite lengthy by usual standards, well exceeding twelve hundred pages in unabridged editions. Within the borders of the novel's story arc, Hugo fills many pages with his thoughts on religion, politics, and society, including his three lengthy digressions, one being a discussion on enclosed religious orders, another being on argot, and most famously, his epic retelling of the Battle of Waterloo.
Will be looking forward to making first hand observation of how the anime will succeed in adapting this great story!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 18:29   Link #2
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am curious as to how it's going to be like. We all heard of the musical version of this...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 19:08   Link #3
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I am curious as to how it's going to be like. We all heard of the musical version of this...

Read the book.
Old 2006-10-21, 22:21   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post

Read the book.

Too lazy
Old 2006-10-21, 23:55   Link #5
Eleutheria
旅行癖

[QUOTE=monir]

Genre: Drama, Novel - the kind we had to endure reading and writing book reports in High School or in middle school if you were a smart Aleck.

Are you kidding? The book is an amazing piece of literature, especially the section on Waterloo--as recounted in the purple text which you copy and pasted from wiki.

The series's focus is on Cossette? She was such a romantic airhead, and so was Marius.
Old 2006-10-22, 01:59   Link #6
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Thanks to Gankutsuou I'm going to have high expectations for this. I've always loved the musical and was fortunate enough to be able to see it live two years ago... I hope an anime can also deliver a good experience.
Old 2006-10-22, 13:43   Link #7
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

I get an impression that it's going to be like Snow Queen more than Gankutsuou, especially after looking at the character designs. I am still looking forward to it nevertheless.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 14:38   Link #8
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Yes, Nippon Animation has a history of producing fairly tame adaptations of literary classics. I don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Still, I'd advice everyone to read the book. It's probably Hugo's most 'readable' historical monument. Quite exciting and adventurous.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 16:06   Link #9
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Too lazy
Reading involves lying around and flipping a page every 2 minutes (or 5 if we're talking about Les Mis, given Hugo's cumbersome narratives and tangents and the small print). I fucking swear...

Hadn't seen the character designs. Couldn't help but notice Cosette really is incredibly cute. Don't know if she should've been so blonde and, well, clean, though. Can't figure out what my expectations are, if NipAni isn't going to exactly stay faithful. *Prays they don't make Eponine into a standard anime love rival*
Old 2006-11-06, 16:59   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Updates: According to AniDB the series is going to have 52 episodes. I'm not exactly sure where they have gotten their information from, but I've come to relly on them on these kind of information for they usually turn out to be right.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 12:23   Link #11
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I'm really excited for this. The website looks great; I love the character designs! And its being 52 episodes is really great news as well. Now I have something to seriously look forward to in this winter season.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 12:42   Link #12
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Gaaaah, my favourite book! Why did they have to inject some moé in it? I mean, little Cosette should look ill and scrawny. And little Cosette is present through 1/3 of the book!
...Oh well, that's Japan for you

*builds her own barricades*
Old 2006-12-01, 12:27   Link #13
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

Being a World Masterpiece Theater series, it's likely it's really going to be 52 eps.
The only place I've seen the episode count is on moonphase, but I didn't go look for the source for that.

Personally I'm really interested in this show, and assuming I can sign up a translator, I plan to work on it.
nekodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 16:37   Link #14
General_Norris
Ouendan member

I lost all hope in a TV and movie versions of famous maser works of literature after watching I, Robot. If Asimov could get out of the tomb....
General_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 18:21   Link #15
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Yes, Nippon Animation has a history of producing fairly tame adaptations of literary classics. I don't expect anything groundbreaking.
Yeah, you guys seem to have no particular relationship to WMTs (World Masterpiece Theater, like nekodar mentioned) whatsoever. It doesn't surprise me since we are nowadays spoiled with anime that look like Ergo Proxy or Suzumiya Haruhi no Yűutsu. The WMTs, however, were cute and innocent series for children/younger people that lasted about one year and related to Hayao Miyazaki (which you can guess from the character design). No, you cannot expect great beautiful animation and 3D design, it's rather something for a certain probably nostalgic fandom - I believe that in Europe, a lot of people grew up with the WMTs, including me. For some people, WMTs are what is called "anime tradition".

So don't expect something like Gankutsuou. Cosette is supposed to be a WMT too, if I'm not mistaken, so I would expect something more, hm, plain and simple.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 00:07   Link #16
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Whoa who could have though, Les Miserables is getting animated! And 52 episodes, Im getting really interested in this project.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 11:48   Link #17
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo

Ok 1st Screen
Well we will see in January, the 7th 2007.
I have a look for this Adaptation
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 22:46   Link #18
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post

Ok 1st Screen
Well we will see in January, the 7th 2007.
I have a look for this Adaptation
Good lord. So, so cute.

As this gets closer to premiering, my feelings are getting more muddled. I don't want to get excited, because this really looks like it's going to be a "sad girl in dirt" anime, with very little faithfulness to the book besides character names and approximate situation. And yet, the more I think of it, Les Mis would make a pretty good anime. Since it's apparently 52 episodes, they'd have time to flesh it all out, but again, that's probably not the way they're going to go. Argh.
Old 2006-12-20, 12:51   Link #19
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Good lord. So, so cute.

As this gets closer to premiering, my feelings are getting more muddled. I don't want to get excited, because this really looks like it's going to be a "sad girl in dirt" anime, with very little faithfulness to the book besides character names and approximate situation. And yet, the more I think of it, Les Mis would make a pretty good anime. Since it's apparently 52 episodes, they'd have time to flesh it all out, but again, that's probably not the way they're going to go. Argh.
Does her name in the title imply she's the main character? How are they going to do that when Cosette is like the least developed character in the book?

Well, at least, it's not going to be "Armjoe: The Anime".

Last edited by glyph; 2006-12-20 at 14:23.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 13:36   Link #20
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Max laughs/rage if:
Javert becomes a Keystone Kops-style comedic relief villain.
Javert becomes an evil bishounen.

Tags
drama, historical