Notices

Old 2021-05-15, 09:35   Link #4001
Router25
World Connector. I think

He wants the tears.
Old 2021-05-18, 17:02   Link #4002
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The pages are all out and translated now.

Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2021-05-19, 23:29   Link #4003
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

boruto ver titan next?
Old 2021-05-21, 11:27   Link #4004
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah Mikasa's husband could be a total nobody just like Historia's, though the possibility that it's Jean is still there, I guess it's been left purposely ambiguous.

Anyway judging by how developed Paradis is in the panel when you see it destroyed, I think it's safe to assume that at least 100 years have passed (it's past the date where Mikasa died of old age anyway). So I guess that the diplomatic efforts had some sort of effect, but they only stalled the inevitable.

In the end Eren only cared about his friends really, he never cared about what would happen to Paradis or its inhabitants, his only objective was to let them live the rest of their lives in peace and free. And for that he sacrificed more than a billion of human lives (supposing this planet is as similar to our own as it appears, there should have been around 2 billion people in that world, and 80% have been killed).

I'm not sure what we are supposed to infer from the last panel though. Clearly that tree resembles the one where Ymir found the supernatural "centipede" that started the whole ordeal, but why exactly would there be another one there? How does that even make sense? Are we supposed to think that Eren's head somehow turned into a supernatural "centipede" over the years? Or did the centipede decided to relocate there because it somehow felt some attachment to the last founder user? I don't know...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-21, 18:47   Link #4005
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'm not sure what we are supposed to infer from the last panel though. Clearly that tree resembles the one where Ymir found the supernatural "centipede" that started the whole ordeal, but why exactly would there be another one there? How does that even make sense? Are we supposed to think that Eren's head somehow turned into a supernatural "centipede" over the years? Or did the centipede decided to relocate there because it somehow felt some attachment to the last founder user? I don't know...
The question I have is: would it even matter if that kid gets titan powers? Technology has advanced to the point where they should be no threat.
Old 2021-05-22, 01:36   Link #4006
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Isayama just love to tease like this 'huh.

The only part I'm happy about only reveal that peace is not guaranteed.
So all stuffs Armin working hard about only delayed the inevitable. Logically no way generations that live through such event will easily forgive it. So its a good take.

How the kid found the tree is, my guess, Isayama way of saying "cycle of revenge" is waiting. As if telling whoever tap into Titan powers, especially Paradis lineage, will get full blessing from Eren within Path to initiate chaos once again. No surprise if Eren grave got that kind of secret assuming that spine follow its latest host.

Whether Isayama wanted to pull a Boruto is up to him, although I imagine when Eren connected to the new host he will be irritated learning whoever that man Mikasa chose. LOL.

Old 2021-05-22, 02:32   Link #4007
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The question I have is: would it even matter if that kid gets titan powers? Technology has advanced to the point where they should be no threat.
Judging by what the kid is wearing I think they're in a post-apocalyptic setting so technology might not be a threat.
Old 2021-05-22, 04:08   Link #4008
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It depends on how apocalyptic the war that destroyed Paradis was...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-22, 06:33   Link #4009
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

If they had shown Paradis getting nuked I would believe in the apocalyptic scenario, but it's very unlikely that a nation has the power raze every enemy city while they are being razed to the ground at home through standard military means.

I don't think it's reasonable to think that the world met the same fate as Paradis. You'd have to imagine that a lot more years have passed and the remaining nations warred among themselves or some other catastrophe happened, however there's really not much that suggests that.

The most likely interpretation is that the kid was part of a small group of Eldians that somehow survived and kept living in secrecy in Paradis, without any contact with the rest of the world.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-02, 07:00   Link #4010
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Alternate ending and did really it matter?
Looking at both endings it just shows that everything is cyclical. Eren should have taken Mikasa and disappeared like he wanted to. Armin should have traveled the world with Eren and Mikasa and abandoned everybody. There actions never really made much of a difference. One way or another man always finds away to destroy itself. The fact that they got caught up in it at all is kinda sad. Could you imagine having all those Titan and disappearing. Another good senecio is Mr Grisha never passed on the attacker titan to his son and took his family and fled some where. He could have taken Mikasa, and armin with. Just remember Mr. Grisha had the attacker Titan. He could’ve gone to his family and save them. Instead he went to the royal family to plead his case and then complete the owl mission. Just disappear with your loved ones and let the world burn. The only good part about this is 80% of the world got what it deserved shame Eren couldn’t go all the way.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2021-06-02 at 07:18.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-31, 17:39   Link #4011
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Attack on Titan, my last thoughts.

I just want to convey my personal thoughts before the current years runs out.

Honestly, when the last chapter (finale) was released way back on April I felt a sense of personal fulfillment, since Isayama-sensei tied all plot knots and closed every character arc in such a satisfactory manner that I felt no need for a sequel.

It is clear that AOT amongst its many themes carries on one that is particularly nihilistic, that is regardless what mankind does or not life moves on without waiting for anyone or anything, because in the grand scheme of things humanity (like any other lifeform) is insignificant. Proof for that statement can be found in the closing pages to the expanded ending released within the last tankoubon back in June.
The evidence, the rest of world waged war of retribution against Paradis a hundred years or so after Eren's death. Although civilization in Paradis was razed to the ground, the flora and fauna not only persevered but also flourish centuries later, as depicted by the General Sherman tree that grew uncharacteristically humongous.

Like others previously posted the story went on a cycle that was intended never to be broken no matter how hard detractors attempted to sway the players with logical arguments to avoid repeating or paralleling the mistakes from previous generations.
Just like in nature that natural phenomena and cataclysms come in and come out ocasionally, and there's nothing that man can do to at least avert them.

In spite of all, I honestly believe that AOT was a believable and well executed story with relatable characters and good, written ones (a.k.a. orphan Ymir's story arc).
It is a story that on surface takes on the basic elements and tropes of a traditional shounen genre, but inside out deconstructs them in order to flesh further its characters so that we readers may be able to delve deeper into their psyches.

For a personal note, the most memorable moment for the last chapter that made me cry manly tears:
Spoiler:

Immediately after that, the second memorable moment to me happened:
Spoiler:

All in all, even though I began reading Attack on Titan in 2017, the whole enterprise felt like a lifetime and a well invested one.

Whatever Isayama-sensei plans to do, assuming that he chooses to continue in the manga industry, then I will be looking forward to his future works.
In fact, the very last page of the expanded ending may be visually interpreted as in Isayama-sensei extending an invitation to the reader to venture inside the Isayamaverse, an unofficial term I coined myself, into another world full possibilities and whether hope or hell awaits at the end only those looking forward to will ever find out just like Eren did.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-23, 11:16   Link #4012
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I would suggest reading the original Attack on Titan oneshot which reminded me of this finale.

Still, what really seems to bother a lot of people in the finale is that Eren admitted he loved Mikasa. Was it because he used to ignore her or because of the concept of "toxic masculinity"? I see this scene reference parodied in several fansubs.
Old 2022-11-23, 19:45   Link #4013
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Still, what really seems to bother a lot of people in the finale is that Eren admitted he loved Mikasa. Was it because he used to ignore her or because of the concept of "toxic masculinity"? I see this scene reference parodied in several fansubs.
It's because a very vocal part of the fanbase was under the delusion Eren was madly in love with Historia and her baby was his. To this day, they're still convinced they were right and Isayama was forced by his editor to change the ending.

Another part genuinely believed Eren had turned into an edgelord and were rooting for him to successfully complete his genocide, so they didn't react well to the reveal it was all a facade and he was actually rather pathetic.