Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-25, 23:47   Link #1
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Post 'Drive' - 2011.

Something tells me this will be the surprise film of 2011:

I'm really hoping it doesn't let me down.

Last edited by Tetra Vaal; 2011-08-26 at 00:27.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 00:27   Link #2
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Here's the new international trailer:

The usage of Kavinsky's 'Nightcall' during the last third of the trailer is fucking metal. This movie is going to destroy.
Old 2011-08-26, 05:36   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

LIES!! Tetra Vaal doesn't like movies.

All joking aside though, I can't believe I missed this thread, the trailer looks cool.
Old 2011-08-26, 10:32   Link #4
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
LIES!! Tetra Vaal doesn't like movies.
I hate everything and I think everyone is stupid.

But yeah, 'Drive' is going to be awesome. I very rarely make predetermined claims like that even if I'm looking forward to it. The last thing I need to do is generate any preconceived ideas as what to expect-- so aside from the trailers I've refrained from watching any more clips or promotional images. However, I did sample clips of the soundtrack and son of a bitch... I have a feeling it's just going to make the film even better.
Old 2011-08-26, 12:18   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I've always had a special place in my heart for driver-for-hire movies so that is already enough of a draw for me to check it out.

But yeah, after hearing Cranston is involved and watching some of trailers I can safely say "most anticipated movie of the year".
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 19:13   Link #6
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Purchased the soundtrack today-- definitely loving the remastered versions of 'Under Your Spell' by Desire and 'Tick of the Clock' by Chromatics. The original scores by Cliff Martinez are nothing short of outstanding. There's a certain mood and tone to each track, never becoming repetitive, yet never derailing from the concept of sound this film obviously aims for. If used within a specific context during certain scenes, it could really make the film all that much more enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to seeing this next Friday-- I'm going opening night. :-)
Old 2011-09-08, 05:44   Link #7
HasuMasu
*Artist

Someone must have slipped a roofie in my Coke.

TETRA VAAL IS HAPPY NOT ONLY THAT BUT HE'S USING A SMILEY!!!????

This, is madness.

Won't count on this being shown anywhere in my country though, how disappointing.
Old 2011-09-08, 12:21   Link #8
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Someone must have slipped a roofie in my Coke.

TETRA VAAL IS HAPPY NOT ONLY THAT BUT HE'S USING A SMILEY!!!????

This, is madness.
Hey man, I only know the good stuff. I leave the gimmicky superhero/comic book stuff to the little kiddies-- this movie is grown up stuff. It's a straight up throw back to hardcore actioners of the 70s and 80s, especially films like 'Bullit' and the stuff Alejandro Jodorowsky used to cook up. This movie is going to be so legit.
Old 2011-09-08, 13:03   Link #9
james0246

^I'm going to see the film anyway, even if only because I am a fan of Refn's "Pusher" trilogy and "Bronson", but the trailer seemed more akin to Jean-Pierre Melville than a strict "action" film. Whatever the case, friends who saw the film at Cannes had nothing but good things to say, so I'm expecting to have a damn good time.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 13:29   Link #10
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Eh, the first two 'Pusher' films were alright, but the third kinda sucked. 'Bronson' isn't anything remarkable either. I'd say my favorite films from Refn are 'Valhalla Rising' and the first 'Pusher.' But anyway, he's said it himself that this film is a throwback and he used 'Bullit' as an influence-- I mean really, are you gonna sit there and say to me that Gosling's character doesn't look like it's trying to imitate McQueen even in the least? The similarities are glaring. I just have enough faith in Refn that he will give Gosling's character its own personality.
Old 2011-09-08, 13:43   Link #11
james0246

^I saw more Alain Delon rather than Steve McQueen (not that I don't see McQueen, rather Delon is simply more obvious to me). The same methodical nature and drive (if you'll forgive the pun) that encapsulated Delon's characters in Le Samourai and Le Cercle rouge appear quite obvious (to me at least) in the trailer. Of course, this is all based on a trailer, so my opinion will likely change when I see more than 2.5 minutes of footage...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-09-08 at 13:59.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:44   Link #12
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^I saw more Alain Delon rather than Steve McQueen (not that I don't see McQueen, rather Delon is simply more obvious to me). The same methodical nature and drive (if you'll forgive the pun) that encapsulated Delon's characters in Le Samourai and Le Cercle rouge appear quite obvious (to me at least) in the trailer. Of course, this is all based on a trailer, so my opinion will likely change when I see more than 2.5 minutes of footage...
"Anyone watching Drive won't be able to take their eyes off Gosling. Playing a Hollywood stunt driver who moonlights as a wheelman for criminals, he rocks like a young Steve McQueen or Robert De Niro." - Peter Howell. Source: http://www.toronto.com/article/69853...n-satisfaction

"A 'Bullitt' for a new generation, this is the film that will make a star out of Ryan Gosling for a conspicuously Steve McQueen-like turn as a young Los Angeles stunt car driver who moonlights as a 'wheelman' for thieves." - James Verniere. Source: http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...rive_delivers/

"here were moments when I was reminded of "Bullitt," which was so much better than the films it inspired. The key thing you want to feel, during a chase scene, is involvement in the purpose of the chase. You have to care. Too often we're simply witnessing technology. Maybe there was another reason I thought of "Bullitt." Ryan Gosling is a charismatic actor, as Steve McQueen was. He embodies presence and sincerity." - The "almighty" Roger Ebert. Source: http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs....0919988/-1/RSS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Told ya. I don't know how many times I have to reiterate it, even if I sound like a broken record, I know my stuff. I know it better than anyone on this board or any board I've ever posted. Film is my ultimate hobby, no one will ever trounce me in a discussion when it comes to film. What does it tell you that I called these similarities and comparisons even before Pulitzer prize winning critics did? 'Cause I know my stuff. You people really need to take my posts as the Gospel on here, 'cause I never post in regards to anything in which I can't contribute some intellectual significance to. Anyway, I'll be seeing this movie later tonight-- it better deliver.
Old 2011-09-16, 13:32   Link #13
james0246

^LOL, this has to be the silliest post I've seen in quite a while (and I routinely moderate the Naruto, One Piece & Bleach sub-forums). Let me see if I have this correct, my opinion of Gosling reminding me of Delon is somehow incorrect because other critics are reminded of McQueen (or because the director was inspired by 'Bullitt')? So, there is no possibility that both opinions could mesh? That both referenced actors could be suitable points of comparison? If I were to say that Gosling's nameless protagonist also reminds me a little of Eastwood's Man With No Name, would I also be incorrect? What if I were to say that I see distinct Goddard inspired neo-noir styles in much of the trailer, would I also be incorrect? What about Michael Mann's atmospheric masculinity? Etc...

You seem to live in a very black and white world my friend...

(FYI, the film has been shown for months, and, across the pond, multiple critics have already made the McQueen comparison. Hell, friends that saw the film at Cannes made the same comparison (to me) previous to you even joining this forum. So please, try and contain the egotism...)

Edit: Just for the hell of it, I checked RT to see if any other critics had made a similar connection to Delon, and lo and behold, one of the first names I clicked on made the same connection (this doesn't prove anything, I really did it just for kicks):

"Certainly there could be no more familiar character to movie fans than the film's protagonist, so iconic he's reminiscent of Alain Delon's Jef Costello in Jean-Pierre Melville's classic "Le Samourai" and as written by Hossein Amini from the James Sallis novel so self-consciously mythologized he doesn't even have a name." - Kenneth Turan

That being said, I'm seeing the film later today/early tomorrow, so I'll post a mini-review later.
Old 2011-09-16, 13:43   Link #14
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Kenneth Turan is a fucking idiot, though. Who cares what he thinks? At least with the other critics I cited (who I'm also not particularly fond of) don't flip flop routinely like that douchebag does. Also, it doesn't matter if the film has been out since Cannes, you better check the dates of the reviews that I posted. They hadn't said a damn thing about the movie until this past week, so I'm still right. You can call it egotism all you want, but I'm still right. Don't be mad just because I can take you to school and leave you flustered when it comes to a film debate.

Oh, and I have friends at Cannes too... see, I can namedrop as well!
Old 2011-09-16, 14:32   Link #15
james0246

^Yet again, you’ve devolved another discussion into this weird childish competition were you have to be the king of the hill (or some other juvenile response), when, in reality, there are no “winners” or “losers”.

I will say this before I see the film, I am extremely excited to see Ron Perlman and Albert Brooks in such dastardly roles. I've always loved Perlman (I was even a fan of Beauty and the Beast (I remember signing a petition to keep the show on the air)), and Brooks is a consummate entertainer (as a director he's fumbled the last decade or so, but his performances are always good), so I have strong hopes that this film will really showcase their talents and, at times, powerful charisma (this may be Gosling's film, but a hero is nothign without a good villian). These two actors, and Carey Mulligan, are part of the reason I am so excited to see the film.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-09-16 at 14:43.
Old 2011-09-16, 23:17   Link #16
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
(and I routinely moderate the Naruto, One Piece & Bleach sub-forums)
Oh God.
Old 2011-09-17, 03:19   Link #17
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Here's my review (some spots may come off as a bit weird sounding, as I copied and pasted this from my Facebook).

Here it is:

"The title of the film 'Drive' could be seen as a metaphor for a Ryan Gosling acting vehicle, so to speak-- seeing as how he uses this film as a vessel to effortlessly convey a simple character with simple characteristics. What you see on the surface of Driver, the vague title for the main character of this movie, is basically what you get throughout the film's entire duration. But it's not the simplistic nature or cold, yet calm gazes from Driver that allows you to become wrapped up in his demeanor, but it's what's beneath the surface-- a nice, gentle, and caring individual who you want to root for. And it's not because he's some run-of-the-mill muscled out moron that spouts off incoherent garbles of words in hopes that some shitty catch phrase of his will stick, but it's because of the fact he keeps to himself, has a set of rules that he lives by, and doesn't bother anyone. He's not some anti-hero or a devoid-of-personality mute that you can't relate to. He's just a grounded character who has the required qualities that makes him so likeable.

On the opposite end of Gosling's Driver, we have Irene, played fairly well by Carey Mulligan, who for some reason, is considered this "second coming" of actress by all these Hollywood blowhards that are spouting off "second comings" every 15 seconds. I have no personal beef with her acting talents, but I've still yet to see her in anything that has blown me away. She hasn't reached a riveting peak at any moment in her young career, and she certainly doesn't reach that in this movie. Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing. It's obvious that Refn is pretty unconventional when it comes to his characters, so it's no surprise here that Irene also has an equally vague personality. Still, Mulligan is solid enough, but it's only in the moments she shares with Gosling and her son that you really invest any type of sentiment in her character. There's also a bit of melancholy in her eyes, which again, is not a bad thing. There's obviously something she's missing on an emotional level, but instead of coming off as your typical damsel in distress, there's this authenticity to what she's feeling. And perhaps it is due to her deadbeat, freshly out-of-prison husband Standard (yes, that his name, Standard-- fucking retarded, I know)-- but it's when Driver agrees to help this dumb bastard Standard that all hell begins to brake loose (did you see what I did there with the brake? Huh? Did you see it? Did you see that ridiculously stupid pun?)-- I'm fucking awesome, I know.

Anyway, Standard owes some people an excessive amount of money for basically keeping him safe while he was in prison, but during a heist gone wrong, he's shot and killed which ends up resulting in Driver and some redheaded twat named Blanche (played for a whole 10 minutes by Christina Hendricks) having to flee the scene with the money in their possession. But it's during the getaway that the film ends up delivering probably its finest chase sequence. With sleek and stylish editing, nice camera angles, and a nicely developed protagonist that the audience can actually give a fuck about, it makes for one tense-filled set. As Driver and Blanche finally reach a motel as a safe destination, it is there where it's conveniently revealed that Blanche was told to double cross Standard and Driver and get away with the money. Blanche then goes into the bathroom to fix her face or something... I don't know, I can't exactly remember, because I'm still thinking about the shotgun blast she takes to the side of her dome which results in an exorbitant amount of brain matter flying all over the place, which was pretty awesome, truth be told. And as soon as Driver becomes swarmed by more foes, he manages to take a shower poll and stab the chest of some drudge, which also spews an insanely awesome amount of blood, as well as using a shotgun to blow away some other poor schmuck.

Some other supporting actors consist of Bryan Cranston-- one of my favorite actors on all of television right now. If you've seen 'Breaking Bad' then you know what I'm talking about. He plays Shannon, a mechanic and close friend of Driver's. He relishes within this roll and with the fairly limited screen time he's given, he doesn't waste a single frame. Albert Brooks plays the film's main villain, if it really has one, who goes by the name of "MISTER BERNIE ROSE!"-- sorry, I couldn't resist, that's some Cranston delivery for you all-- but in all seriousness, Brooks is very good with the screen time he's been given. Some people have said his performance is Oscar-worthy, whatever that means... as if the Oscars have had credibility over the last decade or something. But really, looking at this objectively, he gives a solid performance, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's award worthy. And then there's Ron Pearlman-- yes, Hellboy himself, plays Nino, who is so over-the-top and hilarious that you can't help but love the portrayal of this character. So all in all, you get a collective well-rounded cast that benefit from the interactions of all players involved as well as the quality direction from Refn.

As for the film's technical categories, which are probably my favorite parts of the film. Well, what is there to say other than that Newton Thomas Sigel should be taking home every cinematography award come awards season or someone's newborn is gonna get eaten. No really, the shot composition of this film, particularly the downtown aerial shots of Los Angeles, as well as my personal favorite shot in the entire film, where Driver is in a supermarket and sees Irene standing in the middle of an isle, which features some remarkable eye-candy, is nothing short of spectacular. The vibrant and contrasting colors in that scene, how rich and detailed it is, I just wanted to freeze frame it and admire it for a good 20 minutes. The sound editing and sound mixing is top notch-- when the cars hit each other, you feel it. The basslines are heavy and the crashes are thunderous. Gunfire is visceral and explosive. And pretty much everything else just blends in perfectly well. The soundtrack of the film, which REALLY drew me in, is just excellent. Clint Martinez composed some ambient and immersive scores, as well as rounding up some great tracks like Chromatics' 'Tick of the Clock', which opens the film and beats nicely during an opening heist sequence. We also get some gems in Kavinsky's 'Nightcall' which plays during the opening credits. Desire's 'Under Your Spell' and College's 'A Real Hero' play during some pivotal moments where Driver and Irene begin to invest in one another. Overall, every technical category is fundamentally sound and even exceed expectations in some facets.

Overall, It's the best film I've watched in 2011 and I could see it holding that top spot the rest of the way. And if you know me, then you know I'm a huge film goer and practically watch thousand of movies every year. Seriously, I probably watch over 40 movies a month. I also pride myself on not being some dickbag blogspot critic. I'm not some culturally-challenged, anti-intellectual like the rest of these wannabes you see. I set my standards incredibly high and I always try to refrain from using supererogatory praise when it comes to reviewing a film I happen to enjoy. It's always important to add perspective and to remove the kool-aid from the equation and be as objective as possible. And I'm being objective when I say that this is a "must see" movie. Even if you're just a casual film goer, you owe it to yourself to see a film as nicely put together as this. Honestly, how can you not want to see something that had so much effort put into every important component of what is required to make a great film? You can take my words at face value, I promise. Go see this movie."

Last edited by Tetra Vaal; 2011-09-17 at 11:11.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:11   Link #18
james0246

Never really saw a point to writing an actual review for this forum, so here are some thoughts I had while watching Drive earlier today/last night:

Spoiler for spoilers if you haven't seen it...:

Overall this was a very good film, easily one of the best I’ve seen so far this year. 85/100.
Old 2011-09-23, 23:56   Link #19
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Your review sucks. The fact that you disliked the soundtrack showcases exactly why I'll never take you serious when it comes to a film review.

Anyway, I just got back from seeing this a second time-- loved it every bit as much, if not more. I'll probably see it one more time in theatres and then it will be a day one buy on the BD. Without a doubt the second best film I've seen in the last two and a half years.
Old 2011-09-24, 00:04   Link #20
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

It's a good movie, but nothing special. It reminded me of 'The Transporter' a little to much.