AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 1 2.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 21.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 26.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 11.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 4.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-01, 09:36   Link #41
kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Damon is there to show the viewers that in war you will find fools who only do things for their best interestest in mind before others on both sides....
to show that not everyone who is fighting for good....is really a good guy... and those who are considered villains are not all bad people ( Jaeger comes into mind)
I understand, but why showing him so much, I think the public understand how he was the first or the second time we saw him.

He is more important than Varrot or Largo in the anime.

He have too much screen time
Old 2009-09-01, 09:50   Link #42
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I understand, but why showing him so much, I think the public understand how he was the first or the second time we saw him.
Well.... this are the same people who decided to give faldio more screen time then welkin... so it's to be expected l suppose as to where their priorities in giving characters screen time....
Old 2009-09-01, 10:24   Link #43
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post

He is more important than Varrot or Largo in the anime.

He have too much screen time
Because of the game.
Old 2009-09-01, 11:17   Link #44
Runty

It's hard for me to judge this episode properly, not having access to subs yet. But I'll give it a shot.
Spoiler for Episode 22:
Without subs, I can only say so much. If I can get to understand the wording to the episode, it'll probably make things easier.

Spoiler for Next Episode:
I think they're cutting it a little close, seeing as there's reportedly only 4 more episodes. They'll probably shift things around in comparison to the game. Or maybe they intend to have more than 26 episodes. I'm not sure, but we'll find out in due time.
Old 2009-09-01, 11:57   Link #45
kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
It's hard for me to judge this episode properly, not having access to subs yet. But I'll give it a shot.
Spoiler for Episode 22:
I am ok with some of this, only two thing bother me:

Spoiler for Episode 22:

But the episode was really good.

I wanted a different story for the anime since I saw how the character have been changed.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:00   Link #46
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Because of the game.
How so? Damon hardly ever appears in the game, except to argue with Varrot. Varrot on the other hand gets a lot more screen time, as fitting of an interesting character and direct superior of Squad 7.

Or did you mean "because it was done right in the game so they had to screw it up in the anime"? In which case it's nothing new.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:09   Link #47
RedWing

This episode was really good. We see that even the Sevens of whom we are to feel as the "good guys" are still human and feel peer pressure from the opinions of the other squad.

We also have to remember that Alicia was truly frightening, so it's only natural to have fear of her. I know someone with a mental condition and I'm pretty scared when talking to her because one time she stopped taking her pills (or summink) and she really went violent. So even now I can't see that person in the same light.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:50   Link #48
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
How so? Damon hardly ever appears in the game, except to argue with Varrot. Varrot on the other hand gets a lot more screen time, as fitting of an interesting character and direct superior of Squad 7.

Or did you mean "because it was done right in the game so they had to screw it up in the anime"? In which case it's nothing new.
But he made something what was markable in the game.
I just say duty and honor of a soldier. Hope you get what I mean.
Old 2009-09-01, 13:20   Link #49
hephalonia

"Hey, I know you can overpower a battalion of tanks on your own, but feel free to return to your squad and run alongside your tank with a normal rifle." Fat chance that *any* general would agree with that. The option would be... putting Squad 7 in the lead for the entire army? Right. Sucks for Alicia and Welkin nonetheless. Sure Damon puts it in the worst possible way, but someone had to say it. Other than that I don't mind if he drops dead next episode, having a serious general say it instead of some bad guy stereotype would've had better impact.

If Alicia was more shrewd she could've used the fact that everyone fears her to her advantage. ~ If I don't get reunited with my squad, I might become emotionally unstable and accidently annihilate our side. <3 ~ But well, that failed due to everyone's, including her own, thoughts and emotions. Not least Squad 7 who turned their back on her, which was disappointing, but as people have mentioned, not too surprising.

I'm really curious about Alicia's flashback. If that was a normal orphanage, why on earth would they examine her like that? Did they know about her heritage but she somehow managed to escape? Was the fact that Selvaria also was there just a coincidence, or were all the children Valkyrur descendants? I sure hope we don't see a whole army of lance&shield-troopers. ^^

Welkin continues being a wimp, though improving. Do I sense a future where Selvaria almost manages to defeat an unmotivated Alicia, but then Gunther jr comes running, reviving Alicia's will to fight?
Old 2009-09-01, 13:43   Link #50
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Well.... this are the same people who decided to give faldio more screen time then welkin... so it's to be expected l suppose as to where their priorities in giving characters screen time....
Build a bonfire
Build a bonfire
Put Fat Damon on the top
Put Faldio in the middle
And we'll burn the freakin' lot!

As I said earlier, Welkin or somebody else among Sevens should have done more to keep Alicia with them. By means, I mean anything: a night-time chat with the Pig with knives at hand or some blackmail about something illegal from the general (about that, I can't take away that picture of a candid Matthew Broderick blackmailing a general about smuggling operations, asking for combat action in exchange of full silence in Glory). Should the anime version of Welkin have been portrayed upon Matthew Broderick's character for this part, I would be feeling better because the end result would have been to keep Alicia with the squad.

Say what you want about how Sevens feel about Alicia after discovering her valkyria powers, but where is the concept of a "band of brothers" (and sisters if we talk about the many girls in the squad)? Did Michiko Yokote completely forget about that to make Sevens turn their backs on Alicia so quickly? In any war story, this concept of strong bonds of brotherhood/sisterhood is extremely important to exploit (because it's a real deal!) and only an idiot wouldn't understand that.

When I see Alicia crying like that, without receiving more support from her own comrades and friends since months... I say that's pathetic to see how the writer is an utter ignorant of life.
Old 2009-09-01, 13:59   Link #51
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Build a bonfire
Build a bonfire
Put Fat Damon on the top
Put Faldio in the middle
And we'll burn the freakin' lot!

As I said earlier, Welkin or somebody else among Sevens should have done more to keep Alicia with them. By means, I mean anything: a night-time chat with the Pig with knives at hand or some blackmail about something illegal from the general (about that, I can't take away that picture of a candid Matthew Broderick blackmailing a general about smuggling operations, asking for combat action in exchange of full silence in Glory). Should the anime version of Welkin have been portrayed upon Matthew Broderick's character for this part, I would be feeling better because the end result would have been to keep Alicia with the squad.

Say what you want about how Sevens feel about Alicia after discovering her valkyria powers, but where is the concept of a "band of brothers" (and sisters if we talk about the many girls in the squad)? Did Michiko Yokote completely forget about that to make Sevens turn their backs on Alicia so quickly? In any war story, this concept of strong bonds of brotherhood/sisterhood is extremely important to exploit (because it's a real deal!) and only an idiot wouldn't understand that.

When I see Alicia crying like that, without receiving more support from her own comrades and friends since months... I say that's pathetic to see how the writer is an utter ignorant of life.
Well the writer is completely ignorant of war, thats for sure since the bound you build with other with whom you risk your life on daily basis is much harder to break.

Thats why I find RedWing' comparison incorrect, because he talks about normal life situations while war builds experience that is different from normal. Thats why the whole sudden alienation thing looks like a very poorly written and unrealistic attempt for tension from an incapable scrip writer.
Old 2009-09-01, 15:05   Link #52
aulzon

Good episode but I thought the pace was a little slow especially for an episode so close to the ending.

Really wanted Welkin to go after Alicia at the end
Old 2009-09-01, 15:14   Link #53
KariOhki

Welkin should've punched Faldio when they were talking in the tent. I thought he'd do it, but he didn't Wonder what they're gonna do to our favorite male lead character now?

Poor Alicia! Poor Squad 7! Aisha's "Alicia's scary!" line was really sad to hear. Obviously they're going to come around next ep when they brawl with the army, it's the rule of nakama.

The ending scene was also pretty powerfully sad, with Alicia taking her head-thing off and doing the "I'm not the same anymore" line. I rated the ep a 7/10, it moved a bit slowly for me, and Welkin didn't pull the "I love you" card like he should've. Maybe next time.
Old 2009-09-01, 15:44   Link #54
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Someone really needs to shoot that fat ass already as I am sick of seeing his ugly face. What an idiot of a commander.
If you have to find something to praise this show about, it is creating a character in the "good" side that you can hate. I hate that general more than any of the empire members. Valkyrie chronicles is successful at creating a character you can enjoy wishing to die a painful death.
Old 2009-09-01, 16:13   Link #55
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post

Well....l think this part was somewhat better done in the anime then in the game....
ln the game they showed little to no reaction to finding out that alicia was a valkyrie after the event....they just proceeded on to the next battle. Even in the game welkin didn't know how to comfort alicia....
So if they keep the upcoming events intact with that epic scene from welkin involving alicia....it would make more sense... since the somewhat rejection she felt from her friends/squad and that talk with a certain character lead her to believe the actions she is about to do in the future is her only path for her..... makes it more powerful....even more so when it activates the epic welkin moment.
Old 2009-09-01, 16:15   Link #56
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
If you have to find something to praise this show about, it is creating a character in the "good" side that you can hate.
Technically the show didn't, as his character is taken from the game where he was already hated.

Let me play the devil's advocate here though and point out that General Damon is indirectly the reason why Gallia is winning the war. After all he's the one who's been pushing Squad 7 into all desperate fights which they ultimately won
Old 2009-09-01, 16:20   Link #57
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Damon was no not as much of an idiot as he was in the show. I posted this before, but I will do so again. In the anime, he barred Platoon 7 from participating because they were apparently, too successful to his tastes. In the game, he had no grudges against Platoon 7, no grudges against Welkin and possibly even an admirer of his father. He was far more pragmatic and practical in the game.

It can almost be argued that he used Platoon 7 the way he did throughout the game, sending them to participate in difficult missions against impossible odds because he probably respected Platoon 7's strength.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-01, 16:44   Link #58
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Damon was no not as much of an idiot as he was in the show. I posted this before, but I will do so again. In the anime, he barred Platoon 7 from participating because they were apparently, too successful to his tastes. In the game, he had no grudges against Platoon 7, no grudges against Welkin and possibly even an admirer of his father. He was far more pragmatic and practical in the game.

It can almost be argued that he used Platoon 7 the way he did throughout the game, sending them to participate in difficult missions against impossible odds because he probably respected Platoon 7's strength.

- Tak
You mean he was a lot smarter.

Send in the militia to do the dirty work, then move in with the regulars to finish up and take all the credit.
Old 2009-09-01, 16:52   Link #59
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Send in the militia to do the dirty work, then move in with the regulars to finish up and take all the credit.
Well, that too. But to some extent, this does not apply to Welkin's operations. I guess it also helps that Welkin developed a personal relationship with the Queen.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-01, 17:03   Link #60
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well, that too. But to some extent, this does not apply to Welkin's operations. I guess it also helps that Welkin developed a personal relationship with the Queen.

- Tak
Now that right there.... was a love triangle l was hoping would had been made for the anime.....princess cordeliaxwelkinxalicia....
Closed Thread