AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2011-10-12, 14:49   Link #41
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
I noticed too, at least as far as the subtitles tell me, japanese song lyrics seem somewhat schizophrenic or something, like they're chains of metaphors/images strung together.
I'm sure they have meanings, but the songs I've heard are sorta ridiculous, but fun to listen to nonetheless.
This really depends on what kind of J-pop you're listening to... I think a lot of people need to understand that J-pop is a huuuuuge genre, there're just so many different kinds of it but a lot of people treat it like there's only one kind of it.

Some of my favourite lyric samples:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

These do sound much better in Japanese but even in English there's some depth in them. There are Japanese songs out there that are incredibly poetic and beautiful, it's just that you need to look for these. I think a lot of the J-pop that foreigners often get exposed to are a bit... iffy... it seems like a lot of people think J-pop = idol music, which isn't the case. I think Japanese music offers some of the best lyrics out there!

On another note... I don't really find J-pop that 'catchy'? Maybe you guys listen to different artists than I do? I think J-pop's more moving than fun, I don't think I ever felt this way about music before I started on J-pop
Old 2011-10-12, 15:34   Link #42
Puddingman

I get what you mean Haladflier. I do notice I have that "Idol" view towards Jpop. I think I'm so used to listening to "serious" themed western music that I like to listen to a totally goofy sounding Jpop song. But I do like that they seem sparkly or colorful.

lol, I've mostly only listened to SAWA and some similar styled anime songs. I think this is the Idolization you're talking about?

Jrock can be pretty sweet though. What I've heard of both Jpop and Jrock seem really refreshing.
Old 2011-10-12, 20:12   Link #43
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

From my observation, J-rock and J-pop put more effort on the instrumental than western rock music. They are willing to use other instruments than typical and more popular instruments for some experimentation.

One thing I like with J-pop is that they don't make use of autotune bullshit way too excessively so far. I'm not really into it, only anime op and ed so I wouldn't know if there are some artists using that.

Another thing I liked is that they always seem to have some solos. They are not always necessary but make the songs better.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:46   Link #44
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
I get what you mean Haladflier. I do notice I have that "Idol" view towards Jpop. I think I'm so used to listening to "serious" themed western music that I like to listen to a totally goofy sounding Jpop song. But I do like that they seem sparkly or colorful.

lol, I've mostly only listened to SAWA and some similar styled anime songs. I think this is the Idolization you're talking about?

Jrock can be pretty sweet though. What I've heard of both Jpop and Jrock seem really refreshing.
Guess that's expected and totally not your fault! But you should check out some other J-pop too, if you can, there's actually such fantastic stuff out there. My favourite artists include Fukuyama Masaharu (guy in sig/avi set), Hirai Ken, B'z, Mr. Children, and Kobukuro (all of them just regular pop/rock artists). I think they all do their own songwriting/composing

J-rock is awesome but I think J-pop needs more exposure (apart from the idol groups I mean). J-rock is pretty popular outside of Japan, it seems, and for good reason, I'm just mystified by the lack of mention on other J-pop-ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
From my observation, J-rock and J-pop put more effort on the instrumental than western rock music. They are willing to use other instruments than typical and more popular instruments for some experimentation.

One thing I like with J-pop is that they don't make use of autotune bullshit way too excessively so far. I'm not really into it, only anime op and ed so I wouldn't know if there are some artists using that.

Another thing I liked is that they always seem to have some solos. They are not always necessary but make the songs better.
SO TRUE. Although I wouldn't fully agree about the instrumentals, I know it's true for some artists but not everyone. Again, it depends on what kind of Western rock you're talking, since I immediately think of Iron Maiden and Kamelot

Artists that actually know how to play instruments = good sign. Artists that often sound even better live (and can actually sing) = also a very good sign. Both of these, you can find in J-pop!

Wow, I feel like I'm advertising for it or something (I'm such a fan...)
Old 2011-10-13, 23:20   Link #45
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
what I like about Japanese music, is the syllables. It really makes it different from English songs, and addition makes them really catchy.
Also adding on to this based off what I have heard. What stands out from Pop Rock (western) and J-Pop Rock too me, is that J-Pop rock tends to have more guitar solo's, and more of the hard rock or rock and roll feel while still maintaining that Pop since too it. I also noticed that Pop rock is going more too the electrical, synthesizer, autotune sound? which is all cool and unique, but sometimes over used. Lyrically, they both have similar meanings with Lovey dovy stuff which I adore lol. The way you sing a song makes a difference, and it seems like the mainstream Pop rock singers (mainly the male singers) all sound like there biting off each others voices. Nonetheless, Pop Rock and J-Pop rock are very different in sound, but I like both because how unique each of them are.

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2011-10-14 at 13:34.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 00:38   Link #46
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Japanese songs (even rock) are kinda poetic in nature...
American songs (NOwadays) are in general are good but some like few RNBs doesn't make any sense anymore eg."C'mom Yow, yow, howdy, give me five yow!!"
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 12:19   Link #47
Puddingman

Quote:
Japanese songs (even rock) are kinda poetic in nature...
American songs (NOwadays) are in general are good but some like few RNBs doesn't make any sense anymore eg."C'mom Yow, yow, howdy, give me five yow!!"
This makes me think about country music for some reason. The way I've lately experienced western rock music is that there's a heavier screamy group of musicians, and then country music which to me blends in with pop/rock. I remember in the 90's when I'd listen to the radio and get a nice medium, regular, "Rock" sound (Alternative Rock, Classic Rock). These days there seems to be less of that and more intertwined styles.

But then again, I mostly stopped listening to current music I'm stuck in the 60's-early 80's.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:19   Link #48
Varaxis

The voice. That right there, beyond the fact that Japanese music is influenced by classic music from American decades ago, is what I find is the huge different between J music and western music.

Even considering voice actors and the contrast from their normal voice and character voices gives you an impression of how amazing their vocal work is, especially after hearing some outtakes.

There seem to be no shortage of vocal talent in Japan. It's got to have something to do with the Japanese language and their style of talking. The way they add tones to their voice to make something seem clearly sarcastic or serious, compared to the way Americans do it. Americans are more likely to recite something without such tones, through some sort of lecture-like recital. I know how Japanese really speak in RL is different than in anime, where the spit words out like a machine gun, really fast, rather than slow and clearly, but the tone is still present. I can picture a girl trying to spread gossip or a rumor or something read in a magazine and being excited by it, spitting out all the words in about the same amount of time I can go hmm with a confused tone. I guess it's mainly the girls that have that kind of voice, now that I think about it. Japanese guys with their polite, non-discriminating tone-less style of speech probably wouldn't develop good voices.

I made a thread a while back, trying to find the most beautiful singing voices. I didn't restrict it to Japanese voices, but allowed any, to provide contrast. A large majority listed Japanese voices and I feel one of them, Kokia, stands out as the best I've heard so far, over the likes of Whitney Houston and others that have impressed me before. Probably no coincidence that people find female Japanese voices to be more pleasing to the ear than most others. Lately, I find a girl's voice to be even more of a factor in determining their overall charm, actually being in the top #3 of my personal factors to consider if I even want to hook up with them. Coincidences?
Varaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 23:23   Link #49
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
But then again, I mostly stopped listening to current music I'm stuck in the 60's-early 80's.
Me too bro
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 10:36   Link #50
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

Where do you guys listen to any of this music?

Thank you for the signature Pellissier!
TheGeekHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 11:06   Link #51
Puddingman

Mostly Youtube, I don't actually own any Jpop CD's. I usually research who plays my favorite anime songs and branch out from there.

Haha, Wikipedia can be a good source for this stuff.

There's also that Pandora radio online. I haven't used it much but I imagine it'd be helpful.
Old 2011-10-17, 11:49   Link #52
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

I use Pandora but I haven't found any J-Pop songs. In all honesty, I haven't really tried. Thanks for reminding me of that option.

Thank you for the signature Pellissier!
TheGeekHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 06:05   Link #53
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I like how in Japanese music (especially with anime openings) it interacts with the audience and really sets the mood during that moment. I don't really listen to North American music anymore so I don't know what to say.
Old 2011-10-20, 07:59   Link #54
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Artists that actually know how to play instruments = good sign. Artists that often sound even better live (and can actually sing) = also a very good sign. Both of these, you can find in J-pop!

Wow, I feel like I'm advertising for it or something (I'm such a fan...)
Nope not the metal artists who've been around for long time. I'm talking about joke of bands like Green Day, Good Charlotte and Kid Rock. Can't understand why they are big as they are. They might have good songs here and there but if you read some of their lyrics, it's unbearable. I know their target audiences are teens, still come on...

Some more legitimate bands like Foo Fighters, Fallout Boy and Interpol, they may able to play their instruments properly, but all their songs sound so simple.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 09:30   Link #55
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Nope not the metal artists who've been around for long time. I'm talking about joke of bands like Green Day, Good Charlotte and Kid Rock. Can't understand why they are big as they are. They might have good songs here and there but if you read some of their lyrics, it's unbearable. I know their target audiences are teens, still come on...

Some more legitimate bands like Foo Fighters, Fallout Boy and Interpol, they may able to play their instruments properly, but all their songs sound so simple.
Makes sense, I guessed that was what you were referring to. I try to listen to Western rock but for the reason you mentioned - sounding too simple - I just can't seem to get into them. It seems that way in terms of vocal techniques, too. I feel like Japanese stuff sounds fresher to me (personal opinion).

The main reason I love J-pop so much is that a lot of the music has this genuine sweetness and pure emotion that I can't seem to feel in other genres. Even lyrics themselves are so moving sometimes. It might have something to do with the language itself, or maybe the culture, but either way, I think Japanese music is spiritually uplifting (not emo and whiny like some other kinds of music I really dislike... won't say what).

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2011-10-20 at 09:50.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 22:56   Link #56
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Wink

Quote:

Hey! I think Green Day, Good Charlotte and Kid Rock, are pretty good.
but I totally agree that bands like Foo Fighters, Fallout Boy and Interpo have songs that sound very simple, yet are really good. I can vague for this because bands like The Beatles. The simplicity of some of there songs are almost elementary. Yet they sound good, and the lyrics are good
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 23:45   Link #57
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Their influences are from the Beatles and some old-school punk bands, I can understand what they are trying to do. Sometimes, simplicity is good thing, too. I guess the reason I dislike those aforementioned bands, probably because of frontman themselves too. With the exception of Good Charlotte, two of these guys are approaching 40's yet they act like teenagers and dress like one, also writing lyrics only the certain age group can really appreciate.

While I'm at it, I also don't like self-indulgence. I'm talking about Dream theater and Yngwie Malmsteen. Sometimes they may go overboard with technical prog. Most Japanese soundtracks I heard are so catchy and infectious even with metal approach.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 12:57   Link #58
Puddingman

Quote:
With the exception of Good Charlotte, two of these guys are approaching 40's yet they act like teenagers and dress like one, also writing lyrics only the certain age group can really appreciate.
Haha, I agree with this for sure. A reason why I don't like bands like Green Day is because it sounds like they were a bunch of kids who took a handful of music lessons and now they're making huge money on minimal skill. Simplicity is beautiful, but I think there's a difference between tasteful simplicity and simplicity because of poor skill. On one hand though it does make their music more accessible to learn = better market for money.

Then the reverse side of this is "too much" skill. I think of jazz musicians and how a lot of them are technically awesome, but they don't necessarily play music because they're just jacking off (sorry..) over the changes; just a bunch of chromatic ideas and patterns = not music to me. Of course I don't mean to say all jazz musicians have bad taste, there are a ton I love.

I think I'm growing on Jpop is because although some songs are really simple it doesn't seem to come off as "immature" or lacking skill. I think texturally too they're much more creative. Hearing all the synths, vocal harmonies, strings, etc, is like looking at moving paintings for me. And when I think of some Western rock bands I think of bland power chords, all the time.

Haha, and then like others have said, the different language. Daaaaaamn, takes it to a whole other level. I don't know what they're singing about but it touches me so much more than English lyrics.
Old 2012-03-01, 14:18   Link #59
yuutokun

Thumbs up This will point you in the right direction

Surprised no one got into this but Im in a Japanese band so ive been delving into this issue alot lately. One major component of the jpop sound is the chord progression it uses. Particularly the IV7 V7 IIIm7 IVm pattern which is used in some form in over half of jpop/jrock songs. Especially in the choruses.

Go ahead, listen to all the jpop and jrock hits you know and you'll find it everywhere.
This comes from 80s eurobeat hence the 80s flair that people talk about.
Western songs such as Rick Astley Together Forever and Bananaramas Cruel Summer use it among others.

A more modern example would be Girls Not Grey by AFI (A song I really liked due to its similarity to jrock. Go figure)
There are other common progressions such as a special anime progression along with one developed by Komuro Testsuro from TM Network which is used in alot of 90s music and has a disco flair.
And of course there is good ole Canon such as Sakuranbo by Otsukai Ai among many others.

Other than the progressions I think as someone mentioned the syllables make the melodies slightly different as well as the fact that japanese sing in pure vowels to the notes. So the singing comes off more as a piano would. In natural English its really hard to sing like this.

Im sure theres more that I havent explored but this is what Ive noticed thus far.

yuutokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 01:55   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Back in the 90s, J-music sounded like "70s" music to me.... in the 2000s, it started having early 80s rock sounds (Joan Jett, ZZ Top, Bangles, Eurythmics, Go-gos, etc).

It just seems like there's a 20ish year lag in musical trends... (sweeping generalization wiith many exceptions.... for instance, ska music picked up steam in Japan faster)