AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-02-29, 11:09   Link #4641
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

And only sometimes does combine speed reflect into Gametime speed

Ex: Darron Thomas is a way faster player on the field in game then that 4.7-4.8 he ran
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 11:25   Link #4642
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
The 40 might be one of the most useless measurements at the Combine. It says nothing about most players' speed. It might be useful, sort of, for running backs, but how often are they on breakaway sprints? Receivers on a fly need long-distance sprinting, but even the DBs shouldn't need it if they're playing their position correctly.

It is absolutely meaningless for linemen, linebackers, quarterbacks, and kickers.

The 20 shuttle and the 3-cone are far, far more relevant to the game itself. And even then, this is all without pads. Some run better with pads than others. Like Drob says above, combine speed and game speed are way differently, usually.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2012-02-29 at 12:24.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 15:46   Link #4643
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Really seemed to me that the Combine bolstered the mental and media credentials of the top tier for the incoming draft. Luck, Griffin and Kalil were definitely impressing those who spoke to them. Considering Luck and Griffin didn't throw and a good deal of others didn't do the full workout, I daresay their college pro days are the ones where they will do more physical work. Combine seemed more geared for people to show they could talk the talk and connect with teams likely to draft them.

On another front, there seems to be talk building Kansas City wants to get hold of Manning. I can't see that happening.
Old 2012-02-29, 18:19   Link #4644
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drob_QB7 View Post
And only sometimes does combine speed reflect into Gametime speed

Ex: Darron Thomas is a way faster player on the field in game then that 4.7-4.8 he ran
Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40 at the NFL Combine. That drill definitely doesn't tell the truth in terms of game speed when the pads are put on.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 22:09   Link #4645
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

so the Steelers let Hines Ward go >.>
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 22:51   Link #4646
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LSU's 4th String Cornerback Ron Brooks ran a 4.37 40 yesterday...Damn! What did the 5th best mofo do?
Old 2012-02-29, 23:14   Link #4647
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
so the Steelers let Hines Ward go >.>
Yeah well, good player, but it was time. I think Ward should just retire. He might still want to play, but once he goes into retirement he'll have boatloads of other things to do. And he's already accomplished everything you could ask for in an NFL career practically. I don't think he's a Hall of Famer, but I'd put in in the group close to it.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-02, 17:01   Link #4648
Samari
World's Greatest

New Orleans Saints are screwed. Great way to kick off the offseason.

Quote:
After a lengthy investigation conducted by the NFL's security department, the league announced Friday that 22 to 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints maintained a "pay for performance" program that included "bounty" payments administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The program runs in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed that Saints players received $1,500 for a “knockout” hit and $1,000 for a “cart-off” hit with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three playoff appearances. The program also entailed payments for interceptions and fumble recoveries, which also violates league rules against non-contract bonuses. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will determine the appropriate discipline based on the investigation, the league said in a statement.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for ‘performance,’ but also for injuring opposing players,” Goodell said in a statement released by the league. “The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d..._breaking_news

Another interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Per Adam Schefter twitter: A safe prediction: Saints will be disciplined far worse than the Patriots were for Spygate.
Oh and good luck with those long term negotiations regarding Drew Brees. Looks like he could actually be franchised tagged as ridiculous as it is. Apparently they are $5 million apart at making a deal. Is it really an extra push to just give Brees that extra $5 million dollars?

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-02, 17:05   Link #4649
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

So i wonder what he will find worse cheating or illegaly getting paid for injuring someone.
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 17:10   Link #4650
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drob_QB7 View Post
So i wonder what he will find worse cheating or illegaly getting paid for injuring someone.
The Saints will probably be in worse hands with the amount of emphasis on player safety concerns the last few years. The piling up of lawsuits by former players doesn't help either. And it was a thing regarding money, which never sounds good. I think the Saints are going to get punished far worse like Adam Schefter predicts. The thing that is kind of funny is that his really didn't help that defense at all. What the Saints need is better players, not money bribing scams to build confidence.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-02, 18:11   Link #4651
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!!

This mofo gets ESPN Mobile on Kami's lookout right? Just knew you'd post this...
Old 2012-03-02, 19:35   Link #4652
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Gregg Williams trying to imitate Buddy Ryan? good god...
Old 2012-03-02, 20:50   Link #4653
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

This mofo gets ESPN Mobile on Kami's lookout right? Just knew you'd post this...
LMFAO at you trying to save face for your franchise that just got busted by making terrible DBZ wisecracks that are completely irrelevant about the topic being discussed. Take issue with the post, not the poster.

The AINTS are in deep doo doo plain and simple. #BOUNTYGATE.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-02, 21:03   Link #4654
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

Oh my the SamxWing drama gets a fresh new serving from all this. I will admit that DBZ jab tickled my funny bone

Kind of ironic though Wing since you always ragged on the pats for their no-nos and now this comes to light with the Saints.

I'll just go with what I brought up in my disscusion with you on spygate. Most teams do some dirty handed thing (whether slight or huge) to win it just doesn't usually get found out.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 21:25   Link #4655
Kyuu
=^^=

The Saints... are now... the Taints.

Also. Bears fan here. Send Colston up to us. We need a good WR.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 21:29   Link #4656
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Oh my the SamxWing drama gets a fresh new serving from all this. I will admit that DBZ jab tickled my funny bone
Too bad he already used that one before. Dude is running out of new material. Doesn't matter. 49ers knocked the Saints out of the playoffs and now BOUNTYGATE is all over the bayou.

Nawlins has thoroughly been stomped on.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-02, 23:29   Link #4657
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Tokt
Kind of ironic though Wing since you always ragged on the pats for their no-nos and now this comes to light with the Saints.

I'll just go with what I brought up in my disscusion with you on spygate. Most teams do some dirty handed thing (whether slight or huge) to win it just doesn't usually get found out.
But G_T, this isn't irony, it's a happenstance...And I will continue to rag on the Pats...Meticulously using illegal video and illegally filming code-signals of other teams' practices and sidelines to build a dynasty is one of the most egregious penalties in all of sports...One Karma surely hasn't forgotten since the Pats can't win jack without the gameshark...

It pales in comparison to guys in the locker room having unofficial "bounties" on big hits...have any of you played football? In high school we'd get helmet stickers and candy snacks for the best decleaters and hits of the week...Many of my best friends at LSU who played on the football team routinely talked about how big hitters got prizes and used to ride the Golf cart on the practice field for rewards...This is the nature of the Defensive Coaching, and to incentivize players for making violent plays in a violent sport...

In the NFL it's money as opposed to gobstoppers, and I've never seen one Saints player do anything as overwrought as players like Cortland Finnegan and Bernard Pollard do almost every game trying to hurt players...Do I even have to mention James Harrison? Or how about Rodney Harrison's hayday as the king of late hits and filthy play...

You see one Saints player ever do what Dom Suh does? No you don't...

Sure the saints will be penalized because of the twitteriffic age we live in where every incident gets blown up into the size of a smudge on the Hubblescopes' bubble-lens, and i won't deny that Gregg Williams is certainly blowhard enough to talk about something that's basically supposed to be seen as player thing (The 2009 Playoff ramblings he had on this about Warner and Favre probably kickstarted this whole thing) ...

So when the Godell hammer goes down, it won't be because of the act, it'll be because of the twitterriffic cloud the act will spawn...Add to that the current waters of the NFL following the lock-out and impending lawsuits and myriad of other injury based litigation the league is seeing and we'll get a PC PETA-level over-the-top fine or something, but let's pull back into reality before we start suggesting that many players who play defense in the NFL don't try to kill their opponents within the whistle...Saints players certainly aren't as good as doing it as the guys I've mentioned above...Nor (which is even funnier) do they seem to have any of the visual evidence the leagues more brazen offenders put on tape every week)...But perhaps Bill Belichick's tapeguy is waiting to reveal that bit of evidence that shames the Saints out of their shot at a dynasty...

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-03 at 00:32. Reason: Off topic bit removed!
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 00:15   Link #4658
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
It pales in comparison to guys in the locker room having unofficial "bounties" on big hits...have any of you played football? In high school we'd get helmet stickers and candy snacks for the best decleaters and hits of the week...Many of my best friends at LSU who played on the football team routinely talked about how big hitters got prizes and used to ride the Golf cart on the practice field for rewards...This is the nature of the Defensive Coaching, and to incentivize players for making violent plays in a violent sport...
eh...it was reward enough for me when I got the opportunity to knock someone the fuck out typically a halfback or fullback.
Old 2012-03-03, 11:03   Link #4659
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Even though that McCray hit on Warner is going to be one of the highlights news outlets point to as example of the bounty system, I don't have a problem with it. Any defensive would love to get a shot at a QB on an interception or fumble return.
Old 2012-03-03, 12:56   Link #4660
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Even though that McCray hit on Warner is going to be one of the highlights news outlets point to as example of the bounty system, I don't have a problem with it. Any defensive would love to get a shot at a QB on an interception or fumble return.
I don't think anyone has a problem with the quarterback getting hit or any player getting viciously hit.

The problem plain and simple is players getting non-contract bonuses for big plays and for opposing players getting injured, which can border on the level of malicious intent if someone wants an extra $1,000 that day.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Tags
american football, sports