Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-12, 02:48   Link #3081
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is still content. When I was in secondary I constantly had lessons until 3pm; half of the time after 1pm is struggling to stay awake because whatever they are teaching didn't make any sense.

I gave up tutoring people younger than me because they think calculus is all about memorising formula and the school removed limits from the syllabus (which means they didn't know how the small change in value for differentiation came about).

Yeah, we had US exchange students and Japanese exchange students before. The US students were usually asleep after lunch and the Japanese students whose girls are rather cute and lolicious have a hard time because they couldn't catch up with the pace of our English speaking teachers.
Your secondary until 3...mine until 10...coz they deemed night classes necessary to make us ace O-Levels...

Not to mention all the tuition on other days until 10+
Old 2013-03-12, 02:53   Link #3082
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Your secondary until 3...mine until 10...coz they deemed night classes necessary to make us ace O-Levels...

Did it work?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 02:56   Link #3083
Sumeragi
Banned

Hmmm..... Try classes until 4 pm, soccer until 6 pm, and all-night group study until 4 am. Sleep until 7 am, and go to school by 8 am.

My life as a middle schooler in Korea.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 02:58   Link #3084
Ridwan

Sounds like how my mother did it when she was little.
Old 2013-03-12, 03:03   Link #3085
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I honestly don't remember what they have done to me all those years....

...well whatever it is I came out absolutely normal as can be
Old 2013-03-12, 03:31   Link #3086
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Hmmm..... Try classes until 4 pm, soccer until 6 pm, and all-night group study until 4 am. Sleep until 7 am, and go to school by 8 am.

I thought students just sleep during school instead .
I rather glad that I never went to Korean school beyond elementary, do not think I could have handle the work load.
Old 2013-03-12, 05:02   Link #3087
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I thought students just sleep during school instead .
I rather glad that I never went to Korean school beyond elementary, do not think I could have handle the work load.
You lazy bum, go back to Korea and serve! For the Korean Dominion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I mean like we had regular school till 3~3:30PM. Then after going home, around 5~6PM we head to juku school (a school after school) and don't come home until 10PM.
Effectively going to school twice a day on the days we had Juku school.

I went to Juku school 3 times a week, I think that was pretty normal.
My parents couldn't afford tuition (or what they call cram school) for me after Sec 3 (Middle School on your side) so I had to skip out on most of them other than Mathematics (which was my favourite subject, so I begged them to let me keep it); was at home after 6pm most of the time. That is why I didn't do as well as I did when I was in Primary School (elementary), when combined with my passive loss of interest in studying at that time (or rather, school. Being a bully victim was tough.)

Still, school was easy as compared to the Japanese syllabus I have seen. So I am more inclined to think that the Singapore Government bribed the TIMSS for this.

Quote:

Mister, you are from one of the top schools. I was from a neighbourhood school with a principal as fat as his ego and sense of self-love. You can't compare rates like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I honestly don't remember what they have done to me all those years....

...well whatever it is I came out absolutely normal as can be
I think most of us from our year gave up caring because of the massive competition - the Dragon Year. They raised the entry score for PSLE into Special courses from 230 to 250 and Express to 200? (or 220? I can't remember) within the change in 1 year, raised standards and shifted the bell-curve right. It becomes a complete mad rat race to the top schools; what limited places there were taken up largely by those with better-off financial backgrounds while those kids in the streets come from broken or cash-poor families.

Those who were sent for counselling with me are often diagnosed with some sort of personality disorder, learning difficulty or depression because they couldn't cope with the massive amount of math and science being pumped into their heads that they don't understand. There should have been some sort of "culling scheme" in the 1990s when such disabilities such to surface at their age so these kids don't have to suffer through the bullying, caning, suspension and expulsion as part of the "forced integration" process.

We are long overdue for a Columbine.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-03-12 at 05:33.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 05:36   Link #3088
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post

Classes starts at 7 am, ends at 4 pm, go to internet shop 'til 5 pm, watch anime 'til at 8 pm, sleep at 9 pm, wake up at 6 pm, at school by 6:45 am then study for 15 mins!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 05:49   Link #3089
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

I think most of us from our year gave up caring because of the massive competition - the Dragon Year. They raised the entry score for PSLE into Special courses from 230 to 250 and Express to 200? (or 220? I can't remember) within the change in 1 year, raised standards and shifted the bell-curve right. It becomes a complete mad rat race to the top schools; what limited places there were taken up largely by those with better-off financial backgrounds while those kids in the streets come from broken or cash-poor families.
Express course for us is 200; I remember that clearly because that was exactly what I got

That was the first time I had awaken to my super power- "Giri giri safu!"
Old 2013-03-12, 06:01   Link #3090
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Forever praying to the bell curve god.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 06:02   Link #3091
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Express course for us is 200; I remember that clearly because that was exactly what I got

That was the first time I had awaken to my super power- "Giri giri safu!"
I had 246, 4 points short of Special. My mum was really unhappy because I made it into the GEP, but she couldn't afford the fees to transfer me to the "higher end" school; she was gambling on my PSLE to get me into the "elites", and I actually hated myself for that until today.

I don't hate rich people, but I do have a grudging envy and some unhappiness when I am with them; then again, being a believer in karma, there is not much I can do since I can't change what I did in my previous life and ended up in a middle-income family with lowly educated parents like this.

Our "top end" education system is a complete sham and possibly Ponzi scheme - I passed by a few secondary schools today to a new worksite and I saw many foreign names on the Top Student O Level lists. Kinda sad that our Asian values of filial piety commands us to stay in a place with our parents where talents which are difficult to tax by the law (usually in the arts sector or dealing with patents) are constantly stuck to dead-end jobs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-12, 06:11   Link #3092
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Was your year the one with the crazy math questions like what's the last digit in the sum of all numbers from 1 to 97, and how many routes are there from one corner of a 3x4 grid to the opposite corner?

Old 2013-03-12, 06:21   Link #3093
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Was your year the one with the crazy math questions like what's the last digit in the sum of all numbers from 1 to 97, and how many routes are there from one corner of a 3x4 grid to the opposite corner?
I remembered mine is 1 to 1001, and there is no grid. Just a circle. That was in Year 2000.

Technically I cheated because my tuition teacher taught me some C Maths (many years later I realised it is called Binomial Theorem and Pascal's Triangle) and I was applying it everywhere I can. For Science the only memorable question I remember is how to dissolve more milk powder in milk - the technical answer is just 3 words (Heat the milk).

I heard that they are scrapping the PSLE; although I have nightmares, I don't agree with it - Singaporean kids are much like Japanese kids : they need a BOOT to the ass to stop them from being so herbivorous and content with their surroundings.

Old 2013-03-12, 06:27   Link #3094
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Luckily my year in 2001 was more normal, mostly ordinary questions and stuff.

I think current PSLE is a very bad filter for secondary education. Three of my primary school close friends, one scored 238, one scored 252, one scored 270 (all three higher than me btw >__>). The guy with 238 owns his own business, guy with 252 is a doctor, and guy with 270 has been jobless for the past 2 years.

Old 2013-03-12, 06:33   Link #3095
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Did it work?
Nope....not proportionate to the amount of effort put in anyway.

Did well enough though I suppose

Well...that's life....

Quote:
Mister, you are from one of the top schools. I was from a neighbourhood school with a principal as fat as his ego and sense of self-love. You can't compare rates like this
Actually I was same as you....nutty teachers and principal that's all. Never will forget how they screwed me over...
Old 2013-03-12, 06:36   Link #3096
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Did well enough though I suppose

Well...that's life....
You did well enough to get into a school that is on the higher end of the spectrum, like TRL and Ascaloth, so can it. You are making me (and maybe Chaos) feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I think current PSLE is a very bad filter for secondary education. Three of my primary school close friends, one scored 238, one scored 252, one scored 270 (all three higher than me btw >__>). The guy with 238 owns his own business, guy with 252 is a doctor, and guy with 270 has been jobless for the past 2 years.
It is a very good measure of raw intelligence. However, the education system is not equipped to turn that raw intelligence into real capabilities, like most education systems in developed Asia, e.g Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and South Korea.

South Korea is unique in a sense that they do churn out creative people - have you ever seen what kind of tactics those Korean Starcraft players build? How did they even think of that?

Now I shall go into the corner and play with my fingers because I am supposed to be considered a top-scorer who fell hard in life.

Old 2013-03-12, 07:29   Link #3097
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Quote:
You did well enough to get into a school that is on the higher end of the spectrum, like TRL and Ascaloth, so can it. You are making me (and maybe Chaos) feel bad.

Listen to your senior- Hardwork isn't worth it All you really need to do is maintain that borderline results and you'll do fine- Put in more effort into your Anime hobbit

No seriously though, it's good that both of you aren't as pessimistic as me and loads more driven We don't need too many unique individuals around here.
Old 2013-03-12, 07:44   Link #3098
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
No seriously though, it's good that both of you aren't as pessimistic as me and loads more driven We don't need too many unique individuals around here.
Being driven is caused by a personal opinion. I am just not happy that a hipster like willx made it and I didn't.

Old 2013-03-12, 08:14   Link #3099
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Other People: School!
Don't go to school. Play video games. Go to pool hall. Smoke. Play pool. Visit girls at other schools. Hit the gym. Repeat.

Maybe put in more video games in there with a couple of days of school, only for exams, and more hitting the gym.
Old 2013-03-12, 08:15   Link #3100
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Dood...I'm in the same situation as Chaos =.=

If I were good I'd be in freaking Todai or Osaka Daigaku now...

You top scorer who fell hard? Then I'd have crashed so low I came out on the other side of the planet...

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture