AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2006-05-25, 13:49   Link #21
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Wouldn't it be better to separate opinions of an episode, and theories into different threads? Otherwise we just get a lot of dispersed discussion?

So I'd agree.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 14:19   Link #22
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
Wouldn't it be better to separate opinions of an episode, and theories into different threads? Otherwise we just get a lot of dispersed discussion?

So I'd agree.
On the other hand, as there are discrepancies between on "raw" viewers versus people who watch different versions of "fansubs," there still is a high possibility of people discussing so-and-so and some person accidentally reading a subject from a title he/she has not seen yet within that chapter.

So the question comes, when am I to make these threads for each chapter? After the episode airs in Japan, or after all the "fansub" groups finished that chapter? So it seems that the fansubs finished the Onikakushi-hen chapter, I can go and make a discussion section for Onikakushi-hen. However, Watanagashi-hen finished over here in Japan, but no "fansub" group has finished it yet (and possibly only one will this weekend). Will it be "safe" to say to make a Watanagashi-hen thread even though other people have not watched that chapter in it's entireity due to reasons of choosing whether to watch a non-subtitled Japanese "raw," or preference over certain "fansub" groups?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 14:26   Link #23
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I would say when it becomes available in Japan (the same as for an episode). I know I generally stay out of the thread until I've actually seen the episode, so I know other people can do it as well.
Old 2006-05-25, 14:34   Link #24
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I would say when it becomes available in Japan (the same as for an episode). I know I generally stay out of the thread until I've actually seen the episode, so I know other people can do it as well.
Yes, but that in turn is a dangerous understatement. It's like going to an thread that discusses about the latter half of Star Wars (IV, V, VI). Many will go there to discuss after they see everything. However, you cannot dismiss the possibility of some people going in there by only seeing IV. So when they come in, they are in shock because they find out Luke's father was Darth Vader.

So in order to avoid this, I write a statement to only see this thread after you've seen ALL the four episodes pertaining to that specific chapter. Would everyone agree to this part? If you see it without watching the ALL of that chapter, it is that person's own responsibility. Is this agreeable?
Old 2006-05-25, 14:42   Link #25
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Well, spoiler tags are always good ^^

Why not just mark your spoiler with whether it has information from the RAW or not?
Old 2006-05-25, 14:47   Link #26
FubaredByAnime

I remember my original reason for asking for separate chapter arcs was mainly for organization purposes. The biggest concern was cross-referencing between threads for theories. The hardest part is getting people to realize this and writing in the "correct" threads.

If you do decide to create separate threads for each chapter, it should be for the start of the first episode starting that chapter. Let comments, opinions, raves and rants about quality in animation and translation be for eps threads. Let more speculation, theories and guesswork about what the hell is going on be in the chapter arcs and general theory.

Also, IMHO, let people know it contains spoilers because personally I'm getting tired of using SPOILER tags. If someone truly is reading chapter arcs for theories and speculations without watching the show, he/she deserves to get spoiled. I think SPOILER tags should be for info from the game that's not in the anime or are true game plot spoiler points the viewer is not aware of yet.

Edited: Wow, like 4 comments added that I didn't read while I wrote this, so if you think my comments are directed to you in a harsh way, it's probably because I wasn't aware of it at the time.
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 15:02   Link #27
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
I remember my original reason for asking for separate chapter arcs was mainly for organization purposes. The biggest concern was cross-referencing between threads for theories. The hardest part is getting people to realize this and writing in the "correct" threads.

If you do decide to create separate threads for each chapter, it should be for the start of the first episode starting that chapter. Let comments, opinions, raves and rants about quality in animation and translation be for eps threads. Let more speculation, theories and guesswork about what the hell is going on be in the chapter arcs and general theory.

Also, IMHO, let people know it contains spoilers because personally I'm getting tired of using SPOILER tags. If someone truly is reading chapter arcs for theories and speculations without watching the show, he/she deserves to get spoiled. I think SPOILER tags should be for info from the game that's not in the anime or are true game plot spoiler points the viewer is not aware of yet.

Edited: Wow, like 4 comments added that I didn't read while I wrote this, so if you think my comments are directed to you in a harsh way, it's probably because I wasn't aware of it at the time.
What you are asking seems to be good organization, but has the high probabilty of the increase in cross-referenced posts.

Okay, let me rephrase: what makes it difficult right now between discussing each pertaining episode and a singular general theory section that we have now? If you've seen up to Ep.8, you can write your thoughts on Ep. 8 thread. If you want to discuss it overall, you have the general discussion section. Do we really need to have more subdivisions? Wouldn't that make things more complicated, if not on your end, but on moderating ends as well?

As for spoiler tags, the rule stands. I have far too many seen the loss of interest for blurting out spoilers from the Fate thread, and I do not wish to allow ANY game spoiler whatsoever in the thread (except for the thread noted as game spoiler).
Old 2006-05-25, 15:21   Link #28
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Okay, let me rephrase: what makes it difficult right now between discussing each pertaining episode and a singular general theory section that we have now? If you've seen up to Ep.8, you can write your thoughts on Ep. 8 thread. If you want to discuss it overall, you have the general discussion section. Do we really need to have more subdivisions? Wouldn't that make things more complicated, if not on your end, but on moderating ends as well?
Main problem is that we have different people's theories on different episode threads AND on the general discussion thread, and then they refer back to their own or other's posts on a different thread. If we had an arc discussion thread, and left the episode threads simply for discussing the quality, memorable parts, etc. of the episode, it would reduce confusion, surely?

Last edited by Circular Logic; 2006-05-25 at 15:37.
Old 2006-05-25, 15:40   Link #29
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
What you are asking seems to be good organization, but has the high probabilty of the increase in cross-referenced posts.

Yeah, and that's why I stated that "the hardest part is getting people to realize this and writing in the 'correct' threads." It'll probably be more work for all the moderators, so that's why I don't push on these things.

Personally for me, my true feelings are that I don't care one way or another at this point. I've been with the show since the beginning and have read the threads here in and out enough to know when and where certain members have made their comments. The number of people who currently currently contributing is fairly small and it's not difficult to maneuver around to find overlapping comments across the board. The only thing I do think about is the momentum of new fans coming to the show and to this board, but at the rate things are going, it doesn't seem bad. So that's my 2 cents.

Quote:
As for spoiler tags, the rule stands. I have far too many seen the loss of interest for blurting out spoilers from the Fate thread, and I do not wish to allow ANY game spoiler whatsoever in the thread (except for the thread noted as game spoiler).
OFFTOPIC: I understand your concern and I'm sure we all appreciate the hard work on preventing spoilers. That said, FSN is an not an example of people losing interest because of they found out too much but because of higher/different expectations and a delivery it didn't plan to make. Not a problem of the show of course, but of the fanbase who were prepared for too much, I guess.

I mean seriously, you think people would stop watching when they hear about a
Spoiler:
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 16:29   Link #30
Vicke

Why not just let the thread for the last episode in a chapter be both for discussing the episode and for the whole chapter.
Vicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 17:33   Link #31
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicke
Why not just let the thread for the last episode in a chapter be both for discussing the episode and for the whole chapter.
Well, because the thread for the last episode doesn't go up until it airs in Japan, which means that all of the speculation and theories wouldn't be able to go into it until we've already seen the whole arc.

Though I think you have a good idea if you just switch it to the first episode in a chapter.
Old 2006-05-26, 15:11   Link #32
Nics

Quote:
It is inevitable that such discussions will overlap. I need to see more of the pros and cons of gaining six additional chapter discussion sections. For example, what is there to stop people who have watched Watanagashi-hen to start spoiling in Onikakushi-hen? If such chaos ensues, it might be better off to leave the overall discussion with that singular general theory section. Please give me your input.
Hm, I can understand where you are coming from, but if you have one general discussion for all theories, then it will be difficult for newbies to jump in and bring up a chapter that was last posted about 2 pages ago, etc.

Plus since it's just one general theory thread, then people who do catch on late probably end up spoiling themselves by reading something they don't understand until they are caught up with the series.

I suppose you could only start a new thread for each chapter after that chapter has already finished airing in Japan, and not so much wait for the fansubs since we can't predict when they will be released. Plus should a late comer have a question or theory, then it's still in line with the current'ness of the thread?

Sorry if I bring up the possibility of 'late comers' but I just watched the wind fansubs because I couldn't wait for Ayu any longer, and I'm flat out hooked.
Nics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-26, 18:06   Link #33
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I still have little doubts for yet another thread, but I've created them to see how it works out. If it works out fine, then that's great. If it starts degenerating or if it isn't serving it's purpose, it'll be abolished. Everyone agree?
Old 2006-06-01, 19:40   Link #34
I<3killerloli's

Is there a thread for the fighting fangame "Daybreak" yet? I think you should create one and people can provide menu translations ect. and updates as to when the new version is coming out (as there is only a demon now)
I<3killerloli's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 08:57   Link #35
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I would like to propose a thread to discuss which were the scariest moments for the Higurashi fans not only about the anime but also both the manga and the game in particular.

However, the most glaring drawback I see on this proposal is that some veteran fans, who have already played through the game or read the latest manga arcs, will slip heavy spoilers concerning the other "arcs" which the anime has not aired yet. Considering that the Tsumihoroboshi-hen arc has started, and the anime will only cover two out of the four "answer" arcs: Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen.

Last edited by Guido; 2006-09-05 at 15:05.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 08:59   Link #36
Freakman

As far as I know, neither of the game players here would commit such foul play.
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 22:43   Link #37
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

Can we have a Poll Thread for "Favorite Higurashi Character(s) + Why" after the anime finishes? The poll should be multiple-choice, and people should be able to select as many or few options as they want.

I was thinking that it'd be interesting to have two of these polls, one right after Onikakushi-hen and the other after Tsumihoroboshi-hen, to see how people's views on the characters change. But bah, it's too late for #1...

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 04:10   Link #38
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
Can we have a Poll Thread for "Favorite Higurashi Character(s) + Why" after the anime finishes? The poll should be multiple-choice, and people should be able to select as many or few options as they want.

I was thinking that it'd be interesting to have two of these polls, one right after Onikakushi-hen and the other after Tsumihoroboshi-hen, to see how people's views on the characters change. But bah, it's too late for #1...
Good idea, surprized it hasn't been requested before

The only question is what characters to include in the poll, we can have a fair number (but I think we should limit it to under 20 choices). I've only seen up to ep 13 so I'm not the best person to make the choice. Wiki lists 21 characters altogether.

The poll will be multiple choice and public (similar to the "Favourite Character" polls in the other series specific forums).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 18:47   Link #39
Kevs

Perhaps there should be a thread about stuff the anime left out from the game after it ends. It seems as if the anime is leaving a lot of details out, and after reading this post

Spoiler:

and finding out more about the twins, I believe it would be beneficial to everyone if we were to find out everything that is missing.
Kevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-30, 10:28   Link #40
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
The only question is what characters to include in the poll, we can have a fair number (but I think we should limit it to under 20 choices). I've only seen up to ep 13 so I'm not the best person to make the choice.
I'd recommend the poll to have at least:
Maebara Keiichi
Ryugu Rena
Sonozaki Mion
Hojo Satoko
Furude Rika
Sonozaki Shion
Hojo Satoshi
Kuraudo Oishi
Irie Kyosuke
Tomitake Jiro
Takano Miyo
Akasaka Mamoru

(Basically anyone who appears on-screen for multiple episodes and stands a high chance of dying)

Other characters to consider, but I'm not sure if they're important enough:
Sonozaki Oryo - The Sonozaki Head and onibaba.
Kimiyoshi Kiichiro - The Village Head; Shion suspects him of demoning away Satoshi in at least one arc.
Chie Rumiko - Teacher; most significant action was reporting Satoko's abuse, which fails.
Tatsuyoshi Kasai - Shion's bodyguard; he is kind of cool, but really doesn't do much on-screen other than wearing an apron.
Hojo Teppei - Child abuser, womanizer, alcoholic. I'm not sure who would like this guy; at least he dies at the bat of Keiichi in one arc. He is significant factor in driving the events of Tatarigoroshi-hen.
Hojo Tamae - Appears and dies rather quickly. Significant only in that she represents the 4th year's Oyashiro-sama's Curse.
Furude Ha'nyu - Doesn't even appear in the anime, I think. Nevermind.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote