AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-10-28, 13:47   Link #1261
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Last time I checked, Haruhi is not a member of "the genre" and is a whole separate genre. Yuuichi might be the first smart ass in harem games/dating sims but he wasn't the first smart ass male protagonist. You know, it would help the whole "its not neo-haruhi" if they weren't animating everyone to look exactly the same. (I'm very aware that they don't look the same in the game.) Kaori looks exactly like haruhi with a new hair style in certain scenes. Yuuichi frequenly looks, sounds and has the exact same mannerisms as Kyon in the voice. If the voice actor wasn't putting the exact same mannerisms in, it might be a different story. He isn't known for Yuuichi, he is known for Kyon and it's already been proven by some fans that you can swap any lines between many of his shows and its the same. Also, I've seen samples the game script. At many of the "references", they are altering lines and its clearly more toward the way Kyon spoke.
Funny you say that. I have to bold the part I found funny myself. These mannerisms and sounds that resemble Kyon so much were the exact mannerisms and tone of voice that I found in Yuuichi in the game. They cannot be moving toward Kyon if they are following the script. From what I can see, I haven't seen any altering of the script that is 'moving toward the way Kyon spoke', because they have done little to no altering of the script in the first place... This Yuuichi is so close to the Yuuichi in the game that I can't help but sigh everytime a 'reference' is made on what Yuuichi actually did and said in the game.

Here's the thing. It's like beating a dead horse in literature. People feel and see something and then look to other details and somehow manipulate these details in such a way that agrees with their feeling, even when the detail and passage as a whole points to a completely different direction.

Last edited by New/Old; 2006-10-28 at 16:58.
New/Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 13:55   Link #1262
DanielSong39

Am I watching Kanon or Air 2?

The characters look and behave the same, if you ask me. Even Makoto was toned down this episode (somewhat to my dismay) and has become another Michiru.

Maybe that means we'll have the deliciously depressing stories as well - hopefully with the same ending. As long as KyoAni doesn't butcher the ending like Toei, they're likely to get a thumbs up from me.

Oh well, off to watch Da Capo 3.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 14:42   Link #1263
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Oh well, I thought that we had progressed beyond the Yuichi/Kyon thing. It is beating a dead horse imo.
Old 2006-10-28, 14:47   Link #1264
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Why is this "Neo-Kyon" crap even happening? They're two completely different characters from two completely different stories. Furthermore, Yuuichi predates Kyon, so Kyon is actually "Neo-Yuuichi," if anything. Also, the people who have played the game have repeatedly stated that Yuuichi in the remake is just like Yuuichi was in the game. If they didn't have the same seiyuu, no one would be saying anything. I'm usually not one to be a killjoy on fan rantings (no matter how stupid they are), but when it's the main topic of discussion in the series' general discussion thread, I have to speak up.
In conclusion, please, everyone: STFU about "Neo-Kyon."
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 15:02   Link #1265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's okay... I'll develop a thesis that supports the notion that Yuuichi in Kanon2006 is a neo-CaptainKirk and that he's been placed in an "breeding simulation" with a number of alien women to observe his reactions. He doesn't know this though.

Or maybe there's a Christ-motif and his apostles riff I can pull out here....

Compare and contrast, eh?

More seriously... this is starting to remind me of the "John Wayne conundrum". John Wayne was a character actor... he basically played himself so if you saw one Wayne movie, the naysayers said you've seen them all. But since the stories and settings were all different that issue was really irrelevant. However, since the Kyon character is really a spin-off subverted archetype of Yuuichi, the confusion over cause and effect ... well...

I suppose its like people seeing Patrick Stewart in different roles and being stuck on the Picard point.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-28 at 15:48.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 17:04   Link #1266
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I suppose its like people seeing Patrick Stewart in different roles and being stuck on the Picard point.
Or stuck on the Professor X point...

People keep comparing and contrasting Kyon and Yuuichi because of Tomokazu Sugita's excellent voice work; and what I want to know is: why haven't we heard comparisons to his other roles? Like say, Hideki from Chobits?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2006-10-29 at 10:08. Reason: spelling!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 17:09   Link #1267
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Or stuck on the Professor X point...

People keep comparing and contrasting Kyon and Yuuici because of Tomokazu Sugita's excellent voice work; and what I want to know is: why haven't we heard comparisons to his other roles? Like say, Hideki from Chobits?
thats funny, I was just thinking about that... Chobits that is.... or how about Wagashira (Samurai Gun) .... *shrugs* ... I Dunno, maybe just because Suzu was sooooo adictive? .... maybe because Kyoani spoiled us with the Kanon girls kameo in air? .... *shrugs* ... I Guess I am weird.. I often don't even realize it is the same voice actors or anything of the sort... but I do often find the stereotypical charector types.

edit: (after checking out the full charector list for him...) I kinda feel sorry for the Nanoha types... since he is supposed to be Chrono in the next variant of that too..

Last edited by todkapuz; 2006-10-28 at 17:22.
todkapuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 21:41   Link #1268
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Ignore this post, I posted it too late.

Last edited by Theclow; 2006-10-28 at 21:43. Reason: Posted too late, feel free to negy rep me.
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 23:57   Link #1269
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Are people still watching this? 1200 something posts...i thought the general consensus on this show was that it was really disappointing; i thought that it was quite meh myself and it didnt seem to be getting many downloads. And what is up with the Kyon-clone?
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 00:06   Link #1270
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE View Post
Are people still watching this? 1200 something posts...i thought the general consensus on this show was that it was really disappointing; i thought that it was quite meh myself and it didnt seem to be getting many downloads. And what is up with the Kyo-clone?
O RLY?

While there has been some detractors( which any popular following has), it is safe to say that Kanon(2006) has been warmly received by the general audience. The naysayers may screech and rant all they want, the less vocal majority will continue to adore what we have here.

On a lighter note, if you're going to join the ranks of the Kyuuichi-jokers( of which I am part of), at least get Kyon's name right. On a more serious note, you do realise that Yuuichi predates Kyon, right? In layman terms, that means Kyon is more a clone of Yuuichi than the other way round.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-29, 00:08   Link #1271
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
O RLY?

While there has been some detractors( which any popular following has), it is safe to say that Kanon(2006) has been warmly received by the general audience. The naysayers may screech and rant all they want, the less vocal majority will continue to adore what we have here.

On a lighter note, if you're going to join the ranks of the Kyuuichi-jokers( of which I am part of), at least get Kyon's name right. On a more serious note, you do realise that Yuuichi predates Kyon, right? In layman terms, that means Kyon is more a clone of Yuuichi than the other way round.

Cheers.
popular following? It doesn't seem to be very popular when compared to other fansubs?
Old 2006-10-29, 00:16   Link #1272
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Yours is a rather sad attempt at trolling.
Blue Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 00:17   Link #1273
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
popular following? It doesn't seem to be very popular when compared to other fansubs?
You do realise that at least 6 groups are fansubbing Kanon, right? Some of which are joint efforts. Death Note is probably the only other anime that has more groups fansubbing it, although their's are less well known.

ADD] If you check AnimeSuki's torrent page, you can see the entire listing. I was correct in stating that Death Note has more groups fansubbing, BUT! Kanon's fansubbers are much more consistent in their releases, and have released more fansubs of Kanon than Death Note.

Kanon is also currently the most blogged about anime on English-speaking AnimeBlogs. Been to Danbooru recently? The amount of Kanon-related fanart on it is staggering.

Etc...

Let's get back to you. What evidence do you have that Kanon is not popular? So far you have stated your opinion, but not given concrete evidence yet.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-29, 00:29   Link #1274
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You do realise that at least 6 groups are fansubbing Kanon, right? Some of which are joint efforts. Death Note is probably the only other anime that has more groups fansubbing it, although their's are less well known.

ADD] If you check AnimeSuki's torrent page, you can see the entire listing. I was correct in stating that Death Note has more groups fansubbing, BUT! Kanon's fansubbers are much more consistent in their releases, and have released more fansubs of Kanon than Death Note.

Kanon is also currently the most blogged about anime on English-speaking AnimeBlogs. Been to Danbooru recently? The amount of Kanon-related fanart on it is staggering.

Etc...

Let's get back to you. What evidence do you have that Kanon is not popular? So far you have stated your opinion, but not given concrete evidence yet.

Cheers.
A quick check of scarywater shows the average download for Kanon 2006 eps seems to be in the area of under 2k each. AFK got 4147 d/ls for Kanon 2006 ep 3, 3047 for TWH, and about 13k for the other groups. by contrast, L-E DeathNote has had about 35k downloads.

kanon is most blogged about? How many blog entries total?
Old 2006-10-29, 00:40   Link #1275
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
A quick check of scarywater shows the average download for Kanon 2006 eps seems to be in the area of under 2k each. AFK got 4147 d/ls for Kanon 2006 ep 3, 3047 for TWH, and about 13k for the other groups. by contrast, L-E DeathNote has had about 35k downloads.

kanon is most blogged about? How many blog entries total?
You can check it out from the following links,
Anime Nano
dotq Tracker

Additionally, scarywater is not the only server that hosts torrents. Then again, I'm not going to dispute that Death Note has more downloads. Still, by Kanon's statistics alone, how can one say that it is not popular?

Unless by other fansubs, you solely mean Death Note/Naruto/Bleach. I earn a million dollars, but there are billionaires in the world. Does that mean I am not rich?

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-29, 01:04   Link #1276
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The comparison is weak. While Death Note is indeed extremely popular and more popular than Kanon in it's constitutional downloaded basis (( Let's ignore the blogs and sub fandom. Kanon has it's pertier from being animated by a fanfav studio, an established standing among visual-novel enthusiast as one of the best and established fans from the 2002 version )), Kanon is still more popular than 80% of other fansubbed anime right now, and looking at some opinions of Kanon currently, the fact stays while Kanon in 4 episodes has done little in non-foreshadowing based plot progressing and genuine character development and is still in the character introduction stage, it still caught much interest. Once it actually starts to sink into the core (( Like how the fandom for Haruhi and to a lesser extent, SaiMono grown incredulously following their less-than-appealing start off )), it wouldn't be surprising to see an increase in popularity...as if it isn't enough.

That being said, Kanon's overwhelming popularity outside of download tallys does make me a little sad bugger. If only 10% of the interest of Kanon would be used to fuel other under-hyped anime...*sighs*

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 01:30   Link #1277
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
If only fans of other series had 10% of the Kanon fans' vocal power to hype their own show...*sighs*
There, fixed that for you.
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 01:34   Link #1278
New/Old
Old to the New

Don't know if that's meant in a good way or a bad way. Heh heh.
Old 2006-10-29, 01:43   Link #1279
Skane
Anime Snark

Well, I don't mind fans being vocal, so long as they don't invade foreign territory and spam it all over. I mean, if Anime X's fans were not vocal in Anime X's forum(s), it would just be weird.

Just imagine an I.E. defender being vocal in a Firefox forum. Now, that can annoying if said defender just screech and froth.

Narf.
Old 2006-10-29, 02:10   Link #1280
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's always best to be well-versed in many interest than just one. While Kanna's fix-word wasn't exactly something that can be percieved positively...whatever. It's all opinionated in preference. I can see why there are people who thinks Kanon so far isn't what they hoped for (( It's like the mindfuck in Kimi Ga happened at Episode *double digits* instead of....3? )), but at the same time, one should be able to see why many people are hooked, especially if one can find a particular character to fondly relate to.

What I don't particular like is being blasted for having differing opinions with majority. I for one got a lot of shit in the past for defending GSD, even when I never once forced my opinion, etc. Thankfully I haven't been flamed for thinking that Kanon so far is above average at best, which taking into account that it's not even over character introduction stage of a drama story, it's a damn good feat.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen