AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-05-27, 14:13   Link #161
Sander RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Mecha were based on the inspiration and terror technology offers to the modern world.
Shounen were based on the competition martial arts offer.
The transcendence did not happen with elements but with tastes. Technology became so common after a few decades in Japan, that the focus was no longer the tools themselves but their users. It may seem it was as such back then as well but in reality it was more about the power of the machine it offered its users. It later became mostly about the willpower that empowers the machine so it reversed to the other way around. And through shounen, the willpower is giving power to the human body, without a machine other than a body is required.
While there are some similarities and overlapping themes(most of Mecha is aimed at the same demographic as fighting Shounens.),I still can't find myself seeing Mecha as the forefather of fighting Shounens,moreso since I see a much more probable ancestor in the form of some old sports sagas.

[QOUTE] Things were more simple and straightforward in the oldies. This can be seen both as good and bad. "Simple" today means average and boring for most.[/QUOTE]

That's probably why I find things like Riding Bean enjoyable.
Spoiler for Riding Bean:

Although,one has to note that there is quite a number of rather complex specimens produced before XXI century.
Sander RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 06:35   Link #162
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ Ok then, what if the sentai teams that piloted the robots now are the typical fighting shounen cast?

I will compare what the past can still offer us today, other than historical facts and emotional binding. That is, what pointers can each decade still give to modern anime productions that somehow got forgotten along the way.

Spoiler for wall of text:
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 07:52   Link #163
Sander RX

Quote:
^ Ok then, what if the sentai teams that piloted the robots now are the typical fighting shounen cast?
Those Sentai teams were rag-tag groups of heroes who took on monsters of the week in their titular robot.Meanwhile,a typical Fighter Shounen character is a guy who trains,trains and trains to become the best around and makes friends and rivals along the way,all while kicking evil's ass. The aforementioned is a lot closer to the hard-working sports hero,who trains,trains and trains to become the champion.

That's a nice comprehensive wall of text by the way.

P.S That reminds me,how come there are no "what is in store for us in 10's" speculation threads around?
Old 2010-05-30, 08:54   Link #164
roriconfan
Banned

^ But even mecha pilots constantly upgrade their robots with bigger and better swords and armors in order to fight even stronger monsters/robots and fight evil/whatever.

And why would we have a totally unsupported speculation thread? My estimation is that 10's will turn to high budget movie series and OVAs and leave tv series for everything subpar. But my speculation is as good as anyone's.
Old 2010-05-30, 17:56   Link #165
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
2001-2010 would probably be something catering to otakus although there are some catering to the normals.
Old 2010-05-30, 23:47   Link #166
Sander RX

Quote:
^ But even mecha pilots constantly upgrade their robots with bigger and better swords and armors in order to fight even stronger monsters/robots and fight evil/whatever.
There is a small difference between Phlebotinium-powered midseason military upgrades and Shounen fighter power-ups.Hikaru Ichijo having FAST pack mounted on his VF-1S is a bit different from Goku learning Kaio-ken.

Yes,the similarity is there,but it's quite superficial when compared to old Sports sagas.If I'm correct Ring Ni Kakero even had the trademark main character glutton appetite,or as much I gathered from reading some ANN discussions.
Old 2010-05-31, 03:38   Link #167
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Yeah, SEED mode is sure different from Sharigan. Oh wait.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 05:06   Link #168
roriconfan
Banned

Oh, I see the difference now. Gundam 00 didn't have Super Saiyan mechas based on the shounen formula, because the robots didn't eat a lot.
Old 2010-05-31, 06:26   Link #169
janipani

Gumdan 00 is overrated... it has nothing new and old series made that all better. 1st season was confusing and really hard get any sense of it, second was made better in that sense, but still compared to older gundams it was lame.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 06:41   Link #170
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

@above
Why you talking about 00 overrated or not

Mecha = otoko no romance < my friend quote
So yeah, I don't mind this genre be put to same category as fighting-shounen title or anything
because shounen or seinen is only verbs to explain what audience that titles want to capture.
Old 2010-05-31, 09:44   Link #171
Sander RX

Quote:
Yeah, SEED mode is sure different from Sharigan. Oh wait.
And what relevance does the mention of SEED mode hold?I thought we were talking about our giant metal toys.Oh and SEED mode IS a tad different from Sharingan,it's an adrenalin boost while Sharingan is an eye power.Not that this has any relevance.

I'm not denying that all those upgrades are essentially power-ups,if that's what you're worried about.What I'm opposed to is the notion that this somehow proves that Fighting Shounens evolved from giant robot cartoons,that there is a direct ancestral line between Mobile Suit Gundam and Bleach.Well,many Shounen tropes can be tracked to sports series.Tommorow's Joe,Ring Ni Kakero and the like.Atleast to the point where they seem like atleast slightly more probable of an ancestor to Naruto than Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.

Quote:
Oh, I see the difference now. Gundam 00 didn't have Super Saiyan mechas based on the shounen formula, because the robots didn't eat a lot.
I think you took my words out of their context there...and weren't you saying that it was the Shounen which evolved from Mecha?Not the other way around.

And they do eat a lot.They have 15 Phlebotinium/Unobtainium meals a day.

P.S In case anyone thinks I'm just being resentful of Fighting Shounens and trying to seperate my beloved wunderwaffens from them,you're wrong.Problem is that I just can't see this geneological evidence compelling.
Old 2010-05-31, 11:23   Link #172
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander RX View Post
P.S In case anyone thinks I'm just being resentful of Fighting Shounens and trying to seperate my beloved wunderwaffens from them,you're wrong.Problem is that I just can't see this geneological evidence compelling.
But you must admit that the bulk of action anime from 60's to 80's were mecha and then they shifted to fighting shounen. For all the reasons I stated, plus because the technology is now good enough to allow nice human-based choreographies.
Old 2010-05-31, 12:18   Link #173
Sander RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
But you must admit that the bulk of action anime from 60's to 80's were mecha and then they shifted to fighting shounen. For all the reasons I stated, plus because the technology is now good enough to allow nice human-based choreographies.
I can concede to that.

P.S Many mentioned that time has filtered out the bad stuff and preserved only good ones.As wierd as it sounds,I actually dig out some of that junk and watch it.Some of it is pure gold.
Old 2010-06-01, 07:35   Link #174
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

There is very little to write about the 90’s as most of its famous titles are still very good for most to watch. If there is something to notice is that viewers in the 00’s want faster plot and better visuals, so many of the 90’s titles may appear slow or with distasteful animation to bother watching. Also, many successful titles are being constantly cloned with better animation (and usually less context), thus it becomes harder to tell if they are worth the trouble or not. Newer viewers for example find it hard to appreciate older Gundams to recent ones, despite the older ones having sometimes better overall cast or plot.
How about you stop implying that anime watchers of the 00s are some ADHD drooling idiots? I am fairly certain that most of those who watched eroge adaptations are fucking sick and tired of 13 episodes adaptations that are first slow paced and end up rushed in their endings.

Back in the 1980s, I absolutely loved Kimagure Orange Road and I still do. However, if it had to be remade, I would be GLAD IF they trimmed out the fat, and got rid of the pointless filler episodes. It did make Clannad After Story look neatly scripted in comparison, and Clannad anime fans knows that AS suffered from a weak first half that did not seem to end.

Quote:
This is evident at how most 00’s series are 12 or 13 episodes, while in the 90’s and before they were 24 or more. Still, episodic series with high amounts of atmosphere and cinematics still work great.
I can cut the silliness of such a statement with a chainsaw. Those who decides the lenght of series are NOT the fans, but those who gives the money to the studios.
Old 2010-06-01, 07:50   Link #175
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Entertainment during the days when Triumph of the Wills and entertainment today share quite a bit in how that one would parody the source as much as the western world did upon the release of the original movie of Riefenstahl, to the point that the actual contents within the source becomes mere footnotes. The recent example of how much people recall Der Untergang other than Hitler parody should not be too foreign now should it?

Come to think of it, I daresay that the magnum opus of contemporary moe moe titles are from the hands of the notorious Kyoto Animation, with the most opulent amount of capital dedicated only to that aim, and very little compromise to the moe moe source materials, on the subject of modern day animation. I do think that this studio may have eclipsed Madhouse's animated version of Cardcaptor Sakura in catering to moe appeal so consistently throughout these last years of the first post-millennial decade, to the point that they have become text book examples of moe moe title adoptions within the industry.

(I now dread for yet another shitstorm in a teacup over this matter of the proliferation of comtemporary moe moe genre to boil over itself)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2010-06-01 at 08:07.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 08:11   Link #176
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I don't think Retro is bad, nor do I think it is better. I think anime evolves the way the world evolves as well. There are some scenes in a retro anime that if watched in the present might look silly, and there are some scenes in a retro anime that are still remembered no matter how much time had passed or ancient the animation was. With that said, anime of today should not really be compared to the anime of the past, as they reflect the events of their own generation.
Old 2010-06-01, 08:32   Link #177
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Back in the 1980s, I absolutely loved Kimagure Orange Road and I still do. However, if it had to be remade, I would be GLAD IF they trimmed out the fat, and got rid of the pointless filler episodes. It did make Clannad After Story look neatly scripted in comparison, and Clannad anime fans knows that AS suffered from a weak first half that did not seem to end.
What? Argh, no. I prefer the filler, or "fat" as you call it, from old series like KOR over heavy melodrama in modern series like Clannad AS. The first case, while often seemingly pointless, has its own naiveté and nostalgic charm, while the latter often feels forced and manipulative, at least to me. Of course, YMMV
Tatakae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 09:47   Link #178
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The thing I don't like about "modern" anime is that there's been way too many moe blobs and otaku-centric series floating about. Like K-On, Lucky Star, Haruhi, etc...
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 12:23   Link #179
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
What? Argh, no. I prefer the filler, or "fat" as you call it, from old series like KOR over heavy melodrama in modern series like Clannad AS. The first case, while often seemingly pointless, has its own naiveté and nostalgic charm, while the latter often feels forced and manipulative, at least to me. Of course, YMMV
It's not really about the melodrama or something, it's about Kyosuke about to confess or kiss Madoka only to be interrupted by Hikaru the god knows how many times.One or five would be good, but I think I started rolling my eyes after the seventh or the tenth time. A condensed KOR might have the future part and that time travel arc (where future Kyosuke actually went missing during a trip to Sarajevo) from the OAVs and the movies. Now that would have been sweet.
Old 2010-06-06, 21:07   Link #180
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Hi .. I'm new (been lurking around for a couple of months) ..
I look forward to get as much fun out of this as possible while well conducting my self and making this place as pleasureable to everyone as I want it to be for my self

I must apologize first for going off topic back to the original topic ..
It's just that it's really been bugging me and I need to hear experts' comments on this, in fact, this topic is one of the reasons I joined this forum ..

Even though I'm an anime rooky and my list probably hasn't reached a 100 series - mostly, if not entirely, of recent titles - I can clearly tell that modern anime, in most cases, is a fancy graphics bla, and that 4-7 episodes into a show I would get hugely disappointed that the story and the depth of the show weren't even a mile behind what the art had implied at first site.

Retro on the other hand, had proved on several occasions that it can sometimes carry depth meaning and make someone in my age and mental stage actually dive in the show. However, story and plotline aren't everything. Yes, I shouldn't like an anime just because it was well drawn, but for the modern anime watcher who's first introduction to anime was Evangelion or even Clannad, it is almost impossible to get around the art of pre-90's animes and just enjoy the story..

Imagine being asked to watch and enjoy an animated series of Les Miserables only it was drawn Rukia-sketches style - an example with zero significance to most of you since you all seem like ridiculously-long-shonen-series haters. Google it .. I don't mean to belittle retro art and earlier artists in anyway by my example, I'm sure at the time thier work claimed high praise .. but unfortunately that's how I would feel if I started digging through the gold mine of the classics ..

Yes he does have a point .. he's coming to it .. and I must apologise you had to soldier through my poor English, but what I need to say is, why aren't the poeple of the anime industry interested in remaking those classics to meet todays' art standards ?! and I don't mean this new trend of taking a beautifully made series and butcher it to fit into a 26-episode remake with a pace that makes no sense at all, and a good chunk of the good stuff taken away .. but I mean 98% committed sort of remake ..

I've been looking for different kinds of animes in different genres (genres that gave anime its glamour at some point in history) and it didn't make sense to me how the modern anime library lacked them. Later on I realized it didn't, I just happened to hop on the carraige after several move-on attempts of the anime industry. The genres just got old and they had to come up with new ones ..

So if that's the case - old genres had gotten old, and modern anime is running out of material they have to rely on plane art (and unjustified fan service), why don't they just remake the old ones and everyone's happy ?!

Apologies again for the lengthy post, and the wonderful English it was presented with heh ..
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote