AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-20, 12:22   Link #1
Sander RX

Aviation

Hey,I'm looking for some stuff with a focus on aircraft.Something in the same vein as The Cockpit or Area 88.Just note that planes should not transform into robots of any kind (I'm already onto Macross,you see...),should not be piloted by girls of some fanservice squadron and that I'm not interested in Strike Witches,so don't bother suggesting it..

Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-06-20, 12:45   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander RX View Post
Hey,I'm looking for some stuff with a focus on aircraft.Something in the same vein as The Cockpit or Area 88.Just note that planes should not transform into robots of any kind (I'm already onto Macross,you see...),should not be piloted by girls of some fanservice squadron and that I'm not interested in Strike Witches,so don't bother suggesting it..

Thanks in advance.
Two great suggestions are Last Exile and Allison and Lillia.

Last Exile is certainly better - the top of Gonzo's pantheon, IMO. Gorgeous animation reminiscent of Castle in the Sky. No robots, not much fanservice - just a very intricate plot and a lof of love for aviation in a retro-sci-fi way. I loved all the main characters too.

Allison and Lillia immediately reminded me of Last Exile when I first saw it. The female lead is a pilot and aviation is a key element of the story, though not as much so as in LE. The plot drags sometimes and the quality is inconsistent, but it's generally well-animated and a pretty good series overall.
Old 2010-06-20, 17:37   Link #3
Niji

Simoun has a nice show of aircraft IMO. It gets noted as yuri show, though the yuri aspects are low and/or debatable. The chars are pre-gender, which biologically makes them look like girls more than boys. If aircraft is main topic, it is a must see though IMO. that why my rec

Very Sci-Fi aircraft stuff is Galactic Heroes. Amazing show though, and the aircraft aficionado should get his share. Somewhat old though.
Old 2010-06-21, 04:07   Link #4
Sander RX

Thank you people.Though do you mean LotGH by "Galactic Heroes"?I thought that was a space opera.

And can anyone confirm whether the aviation aspect of Sky Crawlers is as nice as they say?
Old 2010-06-21, 04:14   Link #5
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Sky Crawlers has good air fights but they are not exiting or anything. Like the movie itself, it's the themes and not the story that are good.

And don't miss out Yukikaze. Now that has some really awesome air battle choreography.
Old 2010-06-21, 04:38   Link #6
Sander RX

Wow,looks like quite a lot of stuff to check out.

Oh and do you guys know of any Anime that features A-10 Thunderbolt II?I really like that Attacker.
Old 2010-06-21, 05:11   Link #7
Taricitous

Send a message via MSN to Taricitous
I just finished yukikaze myself, +1 for that for aviation combat. it is a bit futuristic tho =)
Old 2010-06-21, 10:24   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Wow,looks like quite a lot of stuff to check out.

Oh and do you guys know of any Anime that features A-10 Thunderbolt II?I really like that Attacker.
Seeing the Warthog isn't really likely since most anime with aircraft will focus on dogfighting, and I'm sure you know the A-10 won't be doing that any time soon.
Old 2010-06-21, 16:15   Link #9
Niji

Quote:
Thank you people.Though do you mean LotGH by "Galactic Heroes"?I thought that was a space opera.
Umm, guess my non-native speaker english was not up par. Aviation = only airplanes and stuff? Forget Galactic Heroes
Old 2010-06-22, 01:24   Link #10
Sander RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Seeing the Warthog isn't really likely since most anime with aircraft will focus on dogfighting, and I'm sure you know the A-10 won't be doing that any time soon.
Well in the begining of Area 88 we see what looks like an Attacker plane raining death upon a tank column.So,I figured non-Fighters weren't that rare in the realm of Japanese animation

EDIT:Shame on me,that was actually an F-8 Crusader.

Last edited by Sander RX; 2010-06-24 at 08:41.
Old 2010-06-25, 08:24   Link #11
Solafighter
Hige

Some time ago, i have seen an anime, thats about an UH-60 pilot in JASDF. I think that somehting for the identification theard.
Old 2010-06-25, 10:02   Link #12
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Some time ago, i have seen an anime, thats about an UH-60 pilot in JASDF. I think that somehting for the identification theard.
You probably remember 'Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings'.
Quite a good show, I liked it.
Old 2010-06-25, 10:58   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'd recommend The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-06-25 at 11:13.
Old 2010-06-25, 11:55   Link #14
Sander RX

I've just finished Area 88 and boy what a fantastic OVA it was!It had a good story,fantastic character development(it actually touched on one aspect of a warrior's psychology that military Anime often ignores.See it to the end to find out what I'm talking about) and the aviation is simply spectacular!

Not only did it feature an impressive array of aircraft(from F-5 Tiger II and F-14 Tomcat to Harriers and Mig-29s.All drawn with impressive detail.Oh and even A-10 Thunderbolt II was there!),but the action is animated DAMN well,especially the damage dealt to various targets(show features some very beutiful plane disembowelment and dismemberment and stuff).To mke things better,pilots of Aslan's Foreign Legion are given some crazy missions to undertake...

As good as the whole aviation element is,it's the plot and Shin Kazama's character development that are the main highlights.

So I'll kinda reverse the situation here and recommend this oldie OVA to all of you who haven't watched it.
Closed Thread