AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-11, 07:50   Link #541
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Always thought as well that the Metal Slug had a three barelled 12.6mm vulcan alongside a 127mm howitzer.
Old 2011-06-11, 09:17   Link #542
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
Always thought as well that the Metal Slug had a three barelled 12.6mm vulcan alongside a 127mm howitzer.
And a turret on joints that can lower to the level of the body, and the pilot is able to throw grenades.

But a tank like that has way too many joints and could screw itself up easily.

Otherwise, we can add this to the mix of enemy vehicles.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-11, 11:26   Link #543
Terminator98
*Author

That's too outlandish for Tokyo.. bah, let us resort to Yakuzas, vampires and some SSR stuff to make up goofy enemies.

BUT ANYWAYS.

New OC remade and done... she's actually got the shortest OC profile of my 4 chars, and yet, she took me the most time. Something's wrong here.

Miyamoto Yui (Connect/SSR)

Added to the list of:

Yamato Kyousuke (Assault)
Yamato V.H. Alexandra (Repier/Inquesta)
Hisako "Lucy" Amaterasu (SSR/CVR)

Note: I added Alexandra's skills as well. Any fluent japanese speaker such as Icy Tears... please check Alexandra's and Yui's profiles and see if I screwed up something concerning her skill.

As always, comments and reviews welcomed.
Old 2011-06-11, 12:04   Link #544
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
That's too outlandish for Tokyo.. bah, let us resort to Yakuzas, vampires and some SSR stuff to make up goofy enemies.

BUT ANYWAYS.

New OC remade and done... she's actually got the shortest OC profile of my 4 chars, and yet, she took me the most time. Something's wrong here.

Added to the list of:

Note: I added Alexandra's skills as well. Any fluent japanese speaker such as Icy Tears... please check Alexandra's and Yui's profiles and see if I screwed up something concerning her skill.

The sub and the ICBM owned by Holmes are just as ludicrous, but that's that lol.

A car bomb perhaps? Since the Yakuza are reportedly using hand grenades, I think there might be a possibility that they might escalate into using heavier weapons like disposable rockets. Besides, the Hind's guided missiles are useful for taking out a moving car bomb than a sniper rifle.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-11, 12:17   Link #545
Terminator98
*Author

Car bombs would be good, but what would they use it for? My only idea of a car bomb being actually used would be either:

To blow up something/a building
To assassinate some guy (a lot more probable)

In both cases, it's either better to disable the car, shoot off one of its tires or shoot the bomb itself... A missile would be overkill and add collateral damage to the already collateral explosion that thing would make.
Old 2011-06-11, 12:59   Link #546
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Car bombs would be good, but what would they use it for? My only idea of a car bomb being actually used would be either:

To blow up something/a building
To assassinate some guy (a lot more probable)

In both cases, it's either better to disable the car, shoot off one of its tires or shoot the bomb itself... A missile would be overkill and add collateral damage to the already collateral explosion that thing would make.
Eh no actually. Letting a car bomb go out of control is a no-no.

The objective of stopping a car bomb is to minimise urban damage (in populated areas, people are still going to die, it is inevitable). Shooting off tires will make it crash and, in urban conditions, lodge itself into building and cause even more damage (lodging a bomb in a hole in the wall is worse than letting it explode in the open).

When the asshole doesn't want to stop, they bomb the vehicle so as to trigger its payload in the open, and if possible, in less populated areas. Advance warning will usually be given by heliborne trackers for residents to stay behind something solid or take cover - that is why car bomb incidents often involve the military because they are the only ones with the machine guns and anti-tank weapons.

Laying down concrete road barriers are too slow and are tough in urban terrain, unless there is a nearby police academy with the forklift driver still on duty. Usually, car bombs are parked beside populated areas or their main targets, but those that are driven at top speed towards their targets (called running bombs where I was taught, not sure what it is called over on their other side), machine-gun armed vehicles or missilemen from the military are called in to cut them off permanently.

Finally, unless this car bomber thinks like Marvin Heemeyer and is able to catch police off-guard, or is funded by politicians to gain sympathy votes, failing to trace a potential car bomber speaks badly of the local police force and their intelligence.

Old 2011-06-11, 13:03   Link #547
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The sub... etc...

Thank you for spoiling the light novel for the slowpokes.
Old 2011-06-11, 13:08   Link #548
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
Trust me when I say the gun is a three-barreled 12.6mm Vulcan. If you can find supporting evidence that the Metal Slug uses the M61 Vulcan, I'd love to see it.

Of course, I actually used the Slug Gunner here, and the original Slug Gunner has a 180mm main gun and 60mm MTS-S/A gatling gun. Being a fictional vehicle, I figure there's a bit of leeway with armaments, especially if it's a prototype.
No, what I was referring to was that since Gundam called them Vulcans, almost any Gatling will be called a Vulcan, regardless if it's an M61 Vulcan or not. The near-ubiquitiousness of the M61 doesn't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
I've mostly washed my hands of this, but I do really have to question what fucking place armed gunships have in police work. It's about the same level of stupid as conducting traffic enforcement with an M1 Abrams.
Agreed, but it's not like we're both being listened to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yeah, I say we stay in the believable level, none of those Arm Slave, Labors or Gundam mechs, or Railgun-style power-armors.

Sanae is enough of a gadgeteer genius to build scouting drones that can be useful for Informa and Connect students. Yes, I mean some of those babies. The gadgeteer perk is something she have inherited from her chinese american mom.
Agreed. This series takes place in more or less the real world in 2009, not in the alternate universe of Metal Gear Solid, which had Vocaloids running around in the Costa Rican jungle in the 70s and nanomachines implanted in soldiers.

Quote:
And a turret on joints that can lower to the level of the body, and the pilot is able to throw grenades.

But a tank like that has way too many joints and could screw itself up easily.

Otherwise, we can add this to the mix of enemy vehicles.
Possible, but it'd have to be a one-a-season boss unit, seeing as how it's still experimental.

Chiming in on the car bomb, a moving car bomb would be a VBIED and would invariably be driven by a kamikaze driver of some sort, since the radio signals might set off the IED. Again this particular threat does not appear likely in Tokyo, given the levels of traffic congestion - as Terminator98 put it, a car bomb would be used either to assasinate someone, or driven up to a building, bomber leaves, and then blows up the bomb.

In which case if it's scenario 2, the bomb squad would be called in to attempt to defuse the bomb.

Also blowing up the vehicle is itself not ideal due to the risk of a sympathetic detonation, plus there's the fact that Tokyo's traffic volume means that more often than not said VBIED is going to be in traffic, which means that risking blowing it up and collateral damage to civillians.

I have somewhere a memoir of a Royal Logistics Corp bomb tech who served during the Troubles - I'll need to dig it up and reread. (Fun fact: The British Army's EOD techs are from the Royal Logistics Corps, not the Royal Engineers as always assumed. Old Ireland hands refer to them as Felix.)

Quote:
Eh no actually. Letting a car bomb go out of control is a no-no.

The objective of stopping a car bomb is to minimise urban damage (in populated areas, people are still going to die, it is inevitable). Shooting off tires will make it crash and, in urban conditions, lodge itself into building and cause even more damage (lodging a bomb in a hole in the wall is worse than letting it explode in the open).

When the asshole doesn't want to stop, they bomb the vehicle so as to trigger its payload in the open, and if possible, in less populated areas. Advance warning will usually be given by heliborne trackers for residents to stay behind something solid or take cover - that is why car bomb incidents often involve the military because they are the only ones with the machine guns and anti-tank weapons.

Laying down concrete road barriers are too slow and are tough in urban terrain, unless there is a nearby police academy with the forklift driver still on duty. Usually, car bombs are parked beside populated areas or their main targets, but those that are driven at top speed towards their targets (called running bombs where I was taught, not sure what it is called over on their other side), machine-gun armed vehicles or missilemen from the military are called in to cut them off permanently.

Finally, unless this car bomber thinks like Marvin Heemeyer and is able to catch police off-guard, or is funded by politicians to gain sympathy votes, failing to trace a potential car bomber speaks badly of the local police force and their intelligence.
Examples of the car bomb chases you mention would be helpful. In my research, car bombs are driven quietly to the target area and then left there to blow up (Oklahoma City, IRA) or charged at checkpoints/other targets and engaged by guards (Iraq, Afghanistan).

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-06-11, 13:18   Link #549
Terminator98
*Author

It's quite impossible to detect a car bomb until it starts acting like one, or security forces discover it by accident.

If it is the first case, then it's usually too late and the car will either blow up trying to get to its target, or it will just blow on target. Besides, car bombs are often used in public areas, so to avoid the damage, one only has two choices (if it's luckily, an electronic or remote controlled bomb, shoot some sort of EMP at it to disable it)... or kill the guy that has the detonator in hand.

Now, if one discovers a car bomb by accident (or figures out it is one), we have two choices. Immobilize it (so that it doesn't reach the target and the guy doesn't have the incentive to blow himself up), or diffuse the bomb (if the perpetrators haven't noticed yet).

Never heard of car bomb chases due to the nature of a car bomb... it's not meant to run away. It's supposed to come in your face and blow up.
Old 2011-06-11, 13:35   Link #550
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It's quite impossible to detect a car bomb until it starts acting like one, or security forces discover it by accident.

If it is the first case, then it's usually too late and the car will either blow up trying to get to its target, or it will just blow on target. Besides, car bombs are often used in public areas, so to avoid the damage, one only has two choices (if it's luckily, an electronic or remote controlled bomb, shoot some sort of EMP at it to disable it)... or kill the guy that has the detonator in hand.

Now, if one discovers a car bomb by accident (or figures out it is one), we have two choices. Immobilize it (so that it doesn't reach the target and the guy doesn't have the incentive to blow himself up), or diffuse the bomb (if the perpetrators haven't noticed yet).
Easier said than done. The problem is how?

Most people would just call the police. Attempting to defuse it is stupid. Immobilising the car would take some time, and when the bomber sees someone doing that, the person is either dead, or is part of the ride to hell.

Quote:
Never heard of car bomb chases due to the nature of a car bomb... it's not meant to run away. It's supposed to come in your face and blow up.
It usually goes when the terrorists are prepped but they are almost being pounced upon. They would just go run for their desired targets.

Those terrorists will military training should be familiar with the tactic of staggering/leapfrogging from point to point so as to avoid suspicion or lose their tail. Supposedly they are moving from point A to point B, but got discovered before reaching their destination at point D. They would then rush there, and that is where the interdiction squads from the military come into play. Losing police officers would be a shame, and ramming the vehicle is more dangerous as this is a bomb-laden car. The best solution is to wax it in its tracks if road barriers cannot be set-up in time.

Also EMP might not disable the bomb - it has a higher chance of detonating it because of the electrical surge, which is the requirement to trigger the explosive.

Old 2011-06-11, 15:03   Link #551
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
The Third Vanguard, and "Hero" of the group:

[Vanguard B, Position F] Luke Truelyworth, Dream Diver

======

Current Roster:

Blue Side:

Red Side:
  • "Holder"

Artifacts:

Other Sections:
  • Irokane Power Dependence (I.P.D.) Syndrome
Old 2011-06-11, 15:25   Link #552
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Oh my god, I wrote something. As horrible as it is, here is a Courier VS Fio short.

Just Another Contract

Old 2011-06-11, 19:12   Link #553
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Even in the insanely improbable event you somehow:
1. Detect or know a car bomb is mobile
2. Locate exactly where it is
3. Have this ridiculous attack helicopter ready and nearby
4. AND Arrive in time...

It's still ridiculously overkill, as a guy hanging out the door of a Jet Ranger with a high power rifle or machine gun could easily just pump bullets into the engine to stop the vehicle without any issue. With the bonus of probably being MUCH less likely to set off the bomb with a stray shot then frikkin cannon or missile fire from a gunship. Have the criminals in the series used large formations of armored vehicles? No. Do they use mass artillery no? Do they have giant supply lines of clearly marked logistic vehicles? No. Which means there is no reason what-so-frikkin-ever to be using an attack helicopter it's firepower will do nothing but raise the chances of unnecessary deaths and generate bad press. It does NOTHING in a policing environment that could not be accomplished by a marksmen in a civilian helicopter.

Old 2011-06-11, 20:11   Link #554
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Amidst all this talk, I came up with this.

Ze SSR gal.

Spoiler for portrait:

Name: Mayumi Shimizu
Date of Birth: 14th of May
Nationality: Japan
Class: 2nd Year
Division: SSR (Connect as elective)
Butei Rank: N/A
Ancestry: Traces way back to the Tokugawa clan, although which sub-branch remains an open question
Equipment: Katana and tantō, S&W MP9c handgun

Other Info:

Spoiler:

Background:

Spoiler:

Personality:

Spoiler:

Abilities and Skills:

Spoiler:

Facts:

Spoiler:

Last edited by kct; 2011-06-11 at 20:50.
Old 2011-06-11, 20:56   Link #555
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hell yeah Hinomaru Oniko!

I hope she's not a trap...

Somehow, I see her as part of the Butei Student Council Executive Committee. I feel that either GenSec (need 2 of them) or Treasury would fit her fine.

What's with all this half-past personality parameters.

Isara and her will rule cooking class.
Old 2011-06-11, 23:42   Link #556
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

*facepalm*

The problem is... I actually agree with Kha. Will wonders never cease?

*facepalms again, this time at himself*

Also, since there's been talk of helo ops, one example:
Spoiler for Chase:

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-06-12, 01:04   Link #557
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

What started out as a small drive to look for end-game villains...

Spoiler for Hello, girlies~:

...finds the X-Butei pitted against a force beyond the realms of human sanity.

Spoiler for Out of Morgan le Fay's horrors...:

If the Knights of the Lost Blade were a challenge, this won't even be fair...

Athra of the Blue Lake (S4)
Morgan's Revenge

Special thanks to Spacebrotha for recommending the scream team that needs no introduction...

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2011-06-12 at 01:15.
Old 2011-06-12, 03:45   Link #558
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
What started out as a small drive to look for end-game villains...

Spoiler for Hello, girlies~:

...finds the X-Butei pitted against a force beyond the realms of human sanity.

Spoiler for Out of Morgan le Fay's horrors...:

If the Knights of the Lost Blade were a challenge, this won't even be fair...

Athra of the Blue Lake (S4)
Morgan's Revenge

Special thanks to Spacebrotha for recommending the scream team that needs no introduction...
So you mean the knife Chucky holds is part of the magical blade?

Old 2011-06-12, 03:55   Link #559
Terminator98
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Amidst all this talk, I came up with this.

Ze SSR gal.

Spoiler for portrait:

Name: Mayumi Shimizu
Date of Birth: 14th of May
Nationality: Japan
Class: 2nd Year
Division: SSR (Connect as elective)
Butei Rank: N/A
Ancestry: Traces way back to the Tokugawa clan, although which sub-branch remains an open question
Equipment: Katana and tantō, S&W MP9c handgun

Other Info:

Spoiler:

Background:

Spoiler:

Personality:

Spoiler:

Abilities and Skills:

Spoiler:

Facts:

Spoiler:

Quote:

Added to the list of:

Striking similarities... I guess great minds think alike. XD Looks like these two could be great friends.

And we would end up with this in the school festival (after Aedseard...)

Spoiler for YES, YES!:

SINGING DUETS FTW!

P.S: Kha... these baddies seem too western... give them more bishoujouness!
Old 2011-06-12, 03:55   Link #560
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
So I imported most of my character profiles over google docs. This also means that I have refined them, especially personality-wise, or added more sweet trivias to them. In other words, you can consider the posts in HnAOCT unpatched and outdated. (I added a little something in Preston's profile that may amuse some people. I know a certain someone who was when I have told him about it).

Kirsten Vikernes (Assault)

Preston Lee Whitworth(Medica)

Amelie D'Artagnan (Inquesta)

Fiorenza Diotallevi (Logi)

Sanae Noriaki (Amdo)

Jin Yamazaki (SSR)

Svetlana Dragovic (Snipe)

Naoko Kazami (Connect)

Erin Dee Kirishima (Informa)

Kentaro Murasame (Amdo)

Yves Brunet (Assault)

Kaede Fujita (Inquesta)

Nene Otonashi (Repier)

Yasmin Saif (Lezzad)

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-06-12 at 04:50.
Closed Thread