Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-09, 18:53   Link #10501
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I have a very strong feeling that large ground to ground missiles don't actually pose much of a threat anymore. I have no doubt that we have anti-missile technology in our arsenal at the ready..
wouldn't it be nicer if it wasn't a risk to begin with ?

Quote:
I already know we have kinetic missiles, meant to disable the missile in midair without detonating it; and they work.
the US has 3 main systems.
the PAC-3 patriot missiles, which is useless against the kind of missiles we're talking about here.
the THAAD, which i believe might be useful against them.
and the Aegis SM3 missiles, which are definitively useful.

problem is two folds however
1) missile saturation of defense systems.
2) possibility of EMP.
the last one is probably not a risk for the coming decade (Iran is nowhere near the level required for a thermonuclear bomb.
but the first one is something that needs to be taken into account.
Old 2010-12-09, 18:59   Link #10502
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
wouldn't it be nicer if it wasn't a risk to begin with ?

the US has 3 main systems.
the PAC-3 patriot missiles, which is useless against the kind of missiles we're talking about here.
the THAAD, which i believe might be useful against them.
and the Aegis SM3 missiles, which are definitively useful.

problem is two folds however
1) missile saturation of defense systems.
2) possibility of EMP.
the last one is probably not a risk for the coming decade (Iran is nowhere near the level required for a thermonuclear bomb.
but the first one is something that needs to be taken into account.
True, but what I'm saying is that it's nothing to truly be afraid of.

I don't think missile saturation is much of a problem, considering their... Arsenal.

EMP is out of the question. They don't have a nuclear missile (or bomb for that matter) and EMP bobms just aren't advanced enough.
Old 2010-12-09, 19:04   Link #10503
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
True, but what I'm saying is that it's nothing to truly be afraid of.

I don't think missile saturation is much of a problem, considering their... Arsenal.

EMP is out of the question. They don't have a nuclear missile (or bomb for that matter) and EMP bobms just aren't advanced enough.
and what exactly is their ... Arsenal ?
do you know ?
Iran is estimated to have around 200-300 Shehab-3 missiles + an as of yet unknown number of other missiles with longer ranges. (all with over 2000 Km range)
if Wikileaks is to be believed, NK may have given them several BM-25 missiles with considearbly more range then the ones they have now.
also, they are developing additional missiles and producing more of the existing types all the time.

several hundred missiles is more then enough to saturate the US's current missile defenses.

as for them having Nuclear bombs.
its a matter of time at this rate...

frankly, a different tactic is required.
Old 2010-12-09, 19:14   Link #10504
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I meant the number of missiles they had by arsenal.

Though they may have several hundred, it's nearly certain that they wouldn't even fire a quarter of them at once.
Old 2010-12-09, 19:20   Link #10505
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
I meant the number of missiles they had by arsenal.

Though they may have several hundred, it's nearly certain that they wouldn't even fire a quarter of them at once.
at once, no.
does it matter ?
how many THAAD and SM3 missiles do you think the U.S has today.
I'm willing to bet that its less then 100 missiles all and all.
plus, while the THAAD is land based, the SM3 is not, and is instead installed on special ships.
do you think they would all be in place between Venezuela and the U.S at all times ?

not allowing the establishment of this base is the proper course of action, rather then formulating a counter for it.
make it clear to Chavez that the creation of such a base would not be allowed.
Old 2010-12-09, 19:26   Link #10506
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Of course, prevention in the first place is always better.

I don't know if this is even a military tactic, but can't jets take out missiles with their own? Just a thought.
Old 2010-12-09, 19:33   Link #10507
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Of course, prevention in the first place is always better.

I don't know if this is even a military tactic, but can't jets take out missiles with their own? Just a thought.
Boost phase interception is still not a mature technology.
especially in the ranges we're talking about.
and ESPECIALLY if we're talking fighter jets doing the interception.
there used to be a joint American-Israeli development in the field involving long endurance UAVs, but it wasn't completed to my knowledge.
though i heard rumors the new Heron TP drone was developed with that role in mind.

there was also that new Airborne laser thing that got canceled a few years back.
Old 2010-12-09, 19:42   Link #10508
Asuras
Dictadere~!

The laser seems like such a good idea, but, they have their reasons.
Old 2010-12-10, 01:01   Link #10509
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
There are already legal ways to become a citizen here. A friend's wife just went through the right way after coming here from the Philippines. I live next to the Mexican Border and have to deal with the illegal immigrant problem every single day. I see what it's doing to our schools, our hospitals, and everything else.

Get in line like everybody else who is trying to become a citizen here. And if you're not here legally, you should be sent back to your home country.
If you'd read the piece of legislation, you'd find that it only concerns the people that were below 16 when they entered the U.S. Are you saying that as minors, led by adults over the frontier, they should be deported? That they should suffer for the ill decisions of their parents/family?

They can't get in line for citizenship. Let alone a greencard. The law would just give them a chance to do so, provided they've already joined the military or successfully completed high school.

Why the fuck are you bashing on kids.
Old 2010-12-10, 02:01   Link #10510
iLney

That's touching and all, but how do we know if they entered the country before 16 when they don't have any paper work to begin with? By the words of their parents?

Edit: common sense is banned so please refrain from using it
Old 2010-12-10, 02:26   Link #10511
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

My view on the whole thing is: Either you take all of them, or you take none of them. Separating families will just create more problems down the pipeline.
Old 2010-12-10, 02:57   Link #10512
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
If you'd read the piece of legislation, you'd find that it only concerns the people that were below 16 when they entered the U.S. Are you saying that as minors, led by adults over the frontier, they should be deported? That they should suffer for the ill decisions of their parents/family?

They can't get in line for citizenship. Let alone a greencard. The law would just give them a chance to do so, provided they've already joined the military or successfully completed high school.

Life's not fair Frenchie. Parents did what they did, they broke the law, and unfortunately the children have to pay for their parents actions. Maybe they'll learn to resent their parents for not doing things the RIGHT WAY. There is a legal way to become a citizen. If friends of mine can do it, why can't they? What makes them so special that they can bypass the laws here?

Sorry pal, but my taxes have been paying for many of the services that they've been using, Living just 20 miles from the border, it pisses me off to no end that people like you are okay with laws being broken. I've already posted links about the problems America has with illegal immigration. I won't bring them up again as all you have to do is search.

You have absolutely no idea the problems my country is having with illegal immigration, and the people that are here under the radar. The entire reason why Democrats want to make them all citizens, is to create a large Democrat voting block that will also provide cheap labor for their corporations. It has nothing to do with creating opportunities for people to come here and make their lives better. If that were the case, they'd bring in true immigration reform and make it easier for the hundreds of thousands of people that come here legally every year(with green cards, work visas and other access).

And I haven't met one legal immigrant, who agrees with giving these people amnesty or an easy path to citizenship. Not one. They all spent years doing everything right, jumping through hoops, paying their fees, learning how our government works, taking the tests, spending YEARS to call themselves Americans.

How dare anyone cheapen the efforts that those legal immigrants went through.

Face it Frenchie. You and I probably agree on nothing. Or almost nothing. We are completely on opposite ends on practically all issues.
Old 2010-12-10, 03:42   Link #10513
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post

Quote:
Life's not fair Frenchie. Parents did what they did, they broke the law, and unfortunately the children have to pay for their parents actions. Maybe they'll learn to resent their parents for not doing things the RIGHT WAY. There is a legal way to become a citizen. If friends of mine can do it, why can't they? What makes them so special that they can bypass the laws here?

Sorry pal, but my taxes have been paying for many of the services that they've been using, Living just 20 miles from the border, it pisses me off to no end that people like you are okay with laws being broken. I've already posted links about the problems America has with illegal immigration. I won't bring them up again as all you have to do is search.

You have absolutely no idea the problems my country is having with illegal immigration, and the people that are here under the radar. The entire reason why Democrats want to make them all citizens, is to create a large Democrat voting block that will also provide cheap labor for their corporations. It has nothing to do with creating opportunities for people to come here and make their lives better. If that were the case, they'd bring in true immigration reform and make it easier for the hundreds of thousands of people that come here legally every year(with green cards, work visas and other access).

And I haven't met one legal immigrant, who agrees with giving these people amnesty or an easy path to citizenship. Not one. They all spent years doing everything right, jumping through hoops, paying their fees, learning how our government works, taking the tests, spending YEARS to call themselves Americans.

Face it Frenchie. You and I probably agree on nothing. Or almost nothing. We are completely on opposite ends on practically all issues.

Two words: BOAT PEOPLE.

Seems that the Americans are having a similar discussion to that which Australia had during John "dessicated coconut" Howard's 11 years as PM.

And are still having today.
Old 2010-12-10, 06:39   Link #10514
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China tightens grip ahead of Nobel ceremony
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6B106320101210
Old 2010-12-10, 06:44   Link #10515
saya_leviathan

10 Manga Publishers to Boycott Tokyo Anime Fair

Quote:
10 manga publishers have announced on Friday that they will boycott next year's Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF) due to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's revised bill to amend the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance. The boycotting publishers in the Comic 10-Shakai association include the previously revealed Kadokawa Shoten as well as Shueisha, Shogakukan, Kodansha, Akita Shoten, Hakusensha, Shonen Gahousha, Shinchosha, Futabasha, and LEED Publishing Co., Ltd.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government submitted a revised bill to amend the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance at the end of last month. The current ordinance already prevents the sale and renting of "harmful publications" — materials that are "sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior" — to people under the age of 18. The proposed Bill 156 would require the industry to also self-regulate the sale and renting of "manga, anime, and other images (except for real-life photography)" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. Another section of the revised bill would allow the government to directly restrict the sale and renting of the above images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government is part of TAF's executive committee, and Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara also serves as the chairperson of that committee. Ishihara was a leading advocate of the previous amendment bill that was rejected in June, and he has been pushing the current revised bill.

On November 29, three manga creator groups — the Japan Cartoonists Association, the Copyright Network for Comic Authors in the 21st Century, and Manga Japan — announced their opposition to the bill.
In relation to that:

Quote:
Shinichiro Inoue, the president of the Japanese media company Kadokawa Shoten, revealed on his Twitter account on Wednesday that his company has decided to cancel its display at next year's Tokyo International Anime Fair. Inoue said that his company cannot accept the stance that Tokyo has taken towards manga creators and people in the anime industry. The chairperson of TAF executive committee is Shintaro Ishihara, the governor of Tokyo, who strongly supports the bill and have called mangaka "lowly people".
Old 2010-12-10, 08:22   Link #10516
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
That's the single most retarded thing I've ever read on a forum. You hold minors accountable when their dad or mom does something irresponsible? Do you hold them accountable, for example, when their dad shoots someone? Or when their mom spends all her money on gambling?

These kids are victims, not criminals.

Quote:
You seem to misunderstand what my objection is. I am not talking about immigration in general, it is a broader subject. I am talking about this piece of legislation in particular.

Quote:
Completely besides the point, I'm not discussing the state of immigration in the U.S, I am questioning the right to refuse to minors that were brought in the country by adults the right for a path to a green card or a citizenship.

Quote:
Way to take my words completely out of context. I am discussing this particular piece of legislation and nothing else. Can you calm the f down and chill for me, please? You've met with immigrants that specifically disagree that these kids be given the rights to legally pursue the green card or citizenship?

Quote:
What the f are you on about, this legislation would make it POSSIBLE for those kids to apply for a green card, it doesn't make them JUMP THE QUEUE.

Last edited by Frenchie; 2010-12-10 at 08:37.
Old 2010-12-10, 08:32   Link #10517
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
The ultra-nationalist governor of Tokyo strikes again!
Oh, and did you know that most Tokyo-jin attribute the increase of suicide rates to the governorship of Ishihara?
Old 2010-12-10, 08:39   Link #10518
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
Oh, and did you know that most Tokyo-jin attribute the increase of suicide rates to the governorship of Ishihara?
Guy's been living in his own world and in the past. But, Governor, do continue sprouting such nonsense. Lowering credibility is the first step towards irrelevance.
Old 2010-12-10, 08:39   Link #10519
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
If I had to live in a city like that I'd kill myself too.
Old 2010-12-10, 08:44   Link #10520
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Guy's been living in his own world and in the past. But, Governor, do continue sprouting such nonsense. Lowering credibility is the first step towards irrelevance.
See this Uyoku truck?

See how no-one cares? Irrelevant, until you realise these are the people who get Ishihara elected again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If I had to live in a city like that I'd kill myself too.
Domestic emigration to Yokohama was increased because of him...

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international