AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-17, 20:30   Link #941
Jarmel

Well this is interesting. Anyway I think some of the complaints about the setting should be put at ease with this episode. This is shaping up to be a much better show than most of Bones' anime original works for a long while.

So Truth is a human-form Coralian? Well this is an interesting direction. I'm also starting to think this series might actually shed light on certain things in the original series such as Eureka's physical transformations, it's possible human-form Coralian's are shapeshifters however Eureka never mastered it. It would also explain Ao's hair color changing suddenly like that in the second episode. Also seems like we are indeed going for a parallel universe.

I'm now really curious who the actual writer is, under the pen name.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 20:35   Link #942
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep6:
Old 2012-05-17, 20:40   Link #943
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

RIP Bruno, he did his job till his last breath. Nice that Ao proved Chloe's plan was right. So Truth is like a human-form coralian. He has crazy powers though. They still have to take out the scab.
Old 2012-05-17, 20:50   Link #944
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I wonder if there's any significance in it being in the form of something obviously man-made.
I thought that was a bit too weird not to be important. That or they just told the art guy "just think of the craziest thing and draw it."

Truth has the wrong eyes for a human-form Coralian. Avatar of the Secrets, perhaps.
Old 2012-05-17, 21:01   Link #945
Jarmel

The animation and music were acceptable again in this episode. There were a few nice animated sequences but nothing too impressive. I think they introduced a new music piece near the end when Chloe was berating Ao but either way the soundtrack in this series has been pretty much top notch for the most part and I've long ago stopped expecting anything other than excellence from the composers.

One interesting thing of note was how Chloe doesn't cry that much when she finds out Bruno and crew is dead and instead gets angry. This is apparently a company that deals with death quite often and it seems everybody has gotten used to it in their own way. The commanders would rather die then to have the death of the children on their hands and the children are aware of the risks of this job and understood the role of the adults in this.

They are also really trying to play up the ambiguity of the corporation in this in that they seemed more interested in getting the mech parts back probably to avoid revealing company secrets rather than the lives of the children. Ivica's response in that scene shows that he's not a fan of company policy and that is definitely going to come to a head eventually.

Also I guess Ao won't get any sleep till halfway through the series. Again this attention to detail is rather remarkable. Someone has been keeping a detailed entry of timing of events and taking into account realistic things such as sleep. The fact that Ao is completely burnt is a very nice touch.

Here's the thing with Truth, my first instinct is that he/she/it is a human-form Coralian. They were the only people in the original series that morphed their bodies at all and potentially could have destructive abilities like that(as general Coralians could wreck stuff with their anti-matter beams). Truth also has amnesia similar to other human-forms. The thing though is that Truth flashes back to when Eureka disappeared into the Scub Burst which leaves only three viable options; he is Eureka himself and got a case of amnesia(the perspective is wrong in the scene but that might have been intentional so it's not too obvious), some random person who got powers similar to what happened to Naru, or a human-form Coralian that came in on the wave that Eureka left on. If he is a human-form then it is possible that Secrets are early stage human-forms as well. Another interesting thing of note is how Truth was able to pilot an IFO despite the earlier comment that only kids could pilot them. I also like Truth's 'natural' VA, it's deeper than what I was expecting.

The core of this show is that of a mystery show unlike Eureka 7's which was that of a romance. It does seem like whoever is writing this knows what they're doing as I thought the politics would just be a throwaway part of the storyline attached only to Okinawa and instead it might be a part of the bigger picture. The show also looks less MOTW than I thought it was going to be but we'll see how that turns out.
Old 2012-05-17, 21:50   Link #946
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Speaking of music, just 5 days until the OP single .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 22:31   Link #947
miketyson

I'll expand on the "Consider Phlebas" analogy. Since the episode is still new I'll put it in spoilers but it's not really that spoilerish for either the book or this show.
Spoiler for Analogy:
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 22:59   Link #948
ReddyRedWolf

The two incidents in Columbia was either before and after or there is more of Truth out there sharing a hive mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
I thought that was a bit too weird not to be important. That or they just told the art guy "just think of the craziest thing and draw it."

Truth has the wrong eyes for a human-form Coralian. Avatar of the Secrets, perhaps.
This likely given Coralian eyes like Sakuya, Eureka and Gonzy are purple not yellow.

Truth is Eureka was a blank slate. Only in Truth's case it rendered him axe crazy.

Also Truth calls the world the mistaken world welcoming the Scub coral. As such he kills criminal as some terrorist vigilante.

So from his perspective Generation Bleu is no better. But his attention now is on Nirvash and Ao.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 23:03   Link #949
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
The two incidents in Columbia was either before and after or there is more of Truth out there sharing a hive mind.
I noted that too, probably just different time frames.
Old 2012-05-17, 23:17   Link #950
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
There was a considerable lack of response from Fluer and Elena after going "Oh just leave hm, he'll be useless anyway," only for Ao to show up and win the whole battle almost single-handedly. What happened to the good ol' "I just took a pie in the face!" face?

Seriously, Fluer started off really nice and I found her to be quite attractive in both personality and appearance and was even really friendly towards Ao when they first met, then she started getting bi***y when Ao signed up. No good.
Old 2012-05-18, 00:22   Link #951
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I dunno man, Fleur was the only one nice enough to worry about Ao's moving in at the end of this episode. She's also all up for him resting during the operation, as he hasn't slept in days. If anything, she's being more nice than she was in the beginning (compartively at least).

...godammit, where's Naru for these past few episodes? If this keeps going on, I'll be turning traitor and ship Fleur lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 00:23   Link #952
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Episode 6

Really happy with this week's episode. They really went out of their way to clarify their intentions with regards to the motivations within Generation Bleu, as well as really fleshing out the state of the world in the show. The opening scenes were really interesting, and set the stage for the show to get exciting really fast.

I like how the serious drama is handled in this episode, so I hope they continue with this tone when the show needs to. The villains seem interesting, and it looks like we'll learn more about them very shortly. The action sequence could have been a bit more exciting, but it definitely wasn't bad. There's definitely a lot of potential for varied and unique battles against different types of Secrets due to the nature of option parts for Nirvash this time. Much more like Evangelion. Lol.

Looking forward to next week!

P.S. This week's OP change: Nirvash paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I'm now really curious who the actual writer is, under the pen name.
There is no more pen name. The pen name author was only used in the first 3 episodes, and from last week the opening credits added a "Story Editor: Sho Aikawa" credit which it didn't have before. I think the most likely case here is that it was Kyoda's pen name and now they've decided to stop beating around the bush and just admit that Sho Aikawa is the main writer and coordinator for the series, which he conceived together with Kyoda. Ep5-6 was written by Shinichi Inotsume.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 00:31   Link #953
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If indeed Aikawa Shou is in charge of the composition, that's all good with me.

I thought this was an excellent example so far. I really appreciate the fact that what happens in this show has consequences, both emotional and physical, and that reality hangs over everything. And while I'm not crazy about seeing the conceit with all pilots being little girls again, it's more tolerable here than anywhere I've seen in for a while. Unlike most series abour child soldiers, this one seems to be confronting the moral implications of that head-on and forcing the characters to choose sides.

Also - Yuutaro Honjou continues to be superb as Ao, both in the battle sequences and the interior scenes. And the BGM is excellent as well, and quite atypical to what we usually here these days in terms of style.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 00:38   Link #954
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Aikawa is definitely very involved with writing this series, so if you're a big fan that's probably a good thing. I'm sure you know I have my reservations about him, but he's a doing a good job here so far. He'll be writing next week's episode, which looks like a major plot episode, while other writers will be handling the subsequent two episodes after that. It's probably best to have a more diverse writing staff for a series like this anyway, just to have fresh ideas along the way for more variety.
Old 2012-05-18, 00:43   Link #955
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

i like episode 6 a lot, the action could have been better but the interaction of the characters on this episode is very interesting, and that ShapeShifter enemy reminds of Envy from FulleMetalAlchemist, things are heating up, Generation Blue's HQ next week seems gonna be destroyed
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 00:48   Link #956
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Aikawa is definitely very involved with writing this series, so if you're a big fan that's probably a good thing. I'm sure you know I have my reservations about him, but he's a doing a good job here so far. He'll be writing next week's episode, which looks like a major plot episode, while other writers will be handling the subsequent two episodes after that. It's probably best to have a more diverse writing staff for a series like this anyway, just to have fresh ideas along the way for more variety.
Yeah, we've already had this debate but I think Aikawa has proved himself an excellent writer both with adapted and semi-original works (I consider OER and UN-GO almost originals, as they're so different from the source material - and I consider both brilliant). I just think there's a lot of quality on that résumé.

Apart from that, it's self-evident that this series is being written with exceptional polish and dexterity so far. The pacing is excellent, there's genuine intelligence behind it, and it's emotionally true. And unlike the first series often was, AO seems to have a clear plan at all times - which gives me hope that the entire thing is tightly scripted and meticulously planned.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 00:51   Link #957
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think there's a lot of credit to be given in the general direction of the show too. Kyoda seems to be very eager to show that he's actually learned a lot from the "mistakes" of the E7 movie. The pacing and flow in AO is definitely a return to form for him. I'm pretty glad there, because I'm a big fan of his work on RahXephon and Eureka Seven.
Old 2012-05-18, 00:59   Link #958
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I dunno man, Fleur was the only one nice enough to worry about Ao's moving in at the end of this episode. She's also all up for him resting during the operation, as he hasn't slept in days. If anything, she's being more nice than she was in the beginning (compartively at least).
Normally I'd agree with you, but her attitude towards Ao in episode 5 was really unfriendly.
Old 2012-05-18, 01:16   Link #959
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Normally I'd agree with you, but her attitude towards Ao in episode 5 was really unfriendly.
She seems like she isn't too friendly with Ao, but she isn't really going out of her way to be unpleasant or mean towards Ao either. At most, she probably sees him as a rookie teammate, so as his senior she'll help him with small things like getting settled in. You don't have to be completely accepting of someone to be able to tell that they haven't slept in days and that they need to rest.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 01:34   Link #960
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I've been largely ignoring this thread and pretty much anything else in regards to this show due to the rampant baggage some people have and what it brings to the discussion, so excuse me if this has been explained (in exhausting detail), already, but this last episode seems to have started the ball rolling on the plot, so I thought it'd be a good time to at least get this clarified...

...have we decided if this is a direct sequel to E7? Or is it some alternate telling/sequel?

I've been viewing these episodes on the assumption that it's a direct sequel, and that somehow in the travel home to Earth, something went wrong, and all the humans we're seeing so far in AO are humans that had lived on Earth, and have nothing to do with the humans we saw in the first series.

Anyways, glad to see things are possibly picking up. I think it's been decently done so far. They could have really gone overboard with the female pilots, etc, but haven't so far, which is a good sign that there's someone competent at the helm, though I did think the whole Bruno death/'sacrifice' thing was done a bit clumsily.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen