AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-31, 04:23   Link #181
crystar
*yawns*

I would have said ouch, that makes me not want to teach English in foreign places but eh, people are killed every second of the day. I guess if I wanted to stay safe I should just stay in my country and never go anywhere. But life is too short to spend it in one place.
Old 2007-05-31, 04:44   Link #182
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Main link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6501991.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6502549.stm

Oh well... kinda crushes my image of Japan but we all should know that ppl around the world are all the same. We got killers, robber, etc everywhere. No place is exception.
It's a horrible thing, indeed. However, still keep in mind that Japan still has one of the lowest (if not the lowest) violent crime rates in the world. I don't think she was wrong to feel safer there than in Britain, but she was wrong to let her guard down.

So, if anyone is thinking of teaching English in Japan, don't let this discourage you.
Old 2007-05-31, 05:35   Link #183
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I suppose you don't read or watch the news very often, because there's stories of people being murdered there several times a week (two reported today alone: one where a mother strangled her 11yo daughter, and the other where a 17yo boy killed his mother and cut off her arm and head.)

The world is a harsh place.
Old 2007-05-31, 06:05   Link #184
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
aye...stuff like these happen constantly so its not really a shock anymore...but instead it just emphisizes how low humanity can sink

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-31, 06:20   Link #185
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
aye...stuff like these happen constantly so its not really a shock anymore...but instead it just emphisizes how low humanity can sink

Yep thats true...People get hurt or killed everyday...and because of that people don't really seem to care anymore if its just one person..only family members, co-workers or good friends. -_-
Old 2007-05-31, 08:08   Link #186
Abbott
Munior Jember

Old news. And yeah, Japan isn't any more special than anywhere else. Live here long enough and you learn that people are still people.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:10   Link #187
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um... yes we do read the news (I have 4 news wires devoted to Japan alone on my google page). This story is several months old.

Japan is still one of the safest countries in the world. However, the newspapers like to focus on the lurid and the few crimes of violence they do have seem to be overly lurid. They also tend to repeat the same story multiple times with variation making it seem as though more is happening.
And since its a very small country packed with people all closely related that tends to amplify their anxiety when someone goes mentally haywire.

When I used to live in Houston, the number of murders per week in that city exceeded the number of murders per YEAR in the entire country of Japan (and Houston only had six million in the area as opposed to Japan's 90-something million at the time). The same was true for property crime and other 'non-violent' acts. It might be instructive to compare the rate of various crimes in California to Japan ( similiar number of people).

News headlines can be deceiving, Do some research on the actual stats. yeah people are people... but not exactly. It depends on the amount of individual investment in community.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:44   Link #188
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Japanese are no diffrent then others. The way they are; being generous and frendly, is some time a good way for criminals to hide their true intentions.

Anybody could've been fooled here.

But yes because of the way they are so polite and act so friendly makes it even more dangerous for someone who hasen't been submerged enough in the Japanese culture to be fooled. Since they cant easily make the diffrence.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:53   Link #189
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

that news is old.

you need to be VERY careful when you choose to work abroad. alot of companies are fraudulent, especially these quick start up english programs.

China has a REAL problem with this. be sure you work for a reputable company if you plan to teach english in a foreign country.

and MAKE sure you have some contacts in that country in case anything goes wrong or happens so someone is checking up on you.
Old 2007-05-31, 15:14   Link #190
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Naivity is always dangerous.... take reasonable precautions at all times. Learn about places you are going and the cultural cues. What is considered locally normal. Don't just assume the world is like your neighborhood.

When you read up on how the poor girl got to her ending situation --- my wife smacked herself and said "duh!!!!" (she doesn't excuse the crime btw but the teacher made cultural errors that one shouldn't even make in the US or Canada).
Try using your local expectations if you're from from the USA about cultural cues in Italy, Turkey, Malaysia .... report back on the results
Old 2007-05-31, 15:38   Link #191
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Never knew the crime rate in japan is low. Kinda took me by surprise. Is train molestation considered a crime? I always had the feeling it happened a lot.

I agree with Vexx's wife. She should have seen that one coming. Oh well knowing there are still naive people around is nice to know(next to the fact they get easily targeted).
Old 2007-05-31, 15:43   Link #192
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Try using your local expectations if you're from from the USA about cultural cues in Italy, Turkey, Malaysia .... report back on the results
If people would have some clues about their own country, they wouldn't have faced that many dangers in another country. I believe, most of the countries share similar features, even in US (and even in northern parts of Europe) there might be places where you shouldn't go or wander alone. That is the same for others (for Turkey, for instance).

In many cases (at least the ones that I have heard on the news), the victim usually acts like a child, trusts the person she (since it is usually a female, I will use she) has just met. Trust has to be built through long duration relationship, not in one or two days (always there will be exceptions, such as one day trust, or 3-years of dishonesty). And, always try to meet with the people who know a lot about the person around you. That is usually a good measure (at least in Turkey), unless they are all part of a dangerous group (then you are really unlucky, at the time you understand that either escape before it gets out of control or if not, ready your mind to become sacrifice).
Old 2007-05-31, 16:00   Link #193
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
If people would have some clues about their own country, they wouldn't have faced that many dangers in another country. I believe, most of the countries share similar features, even in US (and even in northern parts of Europe) there might be places where you shouldn't go or wander alone. That is the same for others (for Turkey, for instance).

In many cases (at least the ones that I have heard on the news), the victim usually acts like a child, trusts the person she (since it is usually a female, I will use she) has just met. Trust has to be built through long duration relationship, not in one or two days (always there will be exceptions, such as one day trust, or 3-years of dishonesty). And, always try to meet with the people who know a lot about the person around you. That is usually a good measure (at least in Turkey), unless they are all part of a dangerous group (then you are really unlucky, at the time you understand that either escape before it gets out of control or if not, ready your mind to become sacrifice).
aye.. I wasn't trying malign those countries... only pointing out that behavior that is fine in the US might send very wrong signals there AND vice versa. There are universal tactics one should always use no matter where one is standing: who's around me? what are they doing? do I know this person well enough to be alone with them? have I read up on the local customs and attitudes? Are there contrary attitudes (like in, say, India) where things acceptable on one street will get rocks thrown at you on another?
Entering a man's apartment in parts of Japan alone as a single woman is a very loud cultural signal: she's willing to have sex. Subsequent refusal may end up in a loud fight at the least since she appears to have toyed with a possibly fragile ego with anger issues (which she might have known about if she'd kept all encounters in public or with other people that know both parties). Some men in Japan are rather behind the curve on this whole feminism idea.

San Francisco can be a very safe city.... if you know which apparently identical streets to stay off of. And you avoid using a car (parking is a nasty bit of combat there).
Old 2007-05-31, 16:52   Link #194
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye.. I wasn't trying malign those countries... only pointing out that behavior that is fine in the US might send very wrong signals there AND vice versa.
I guess, my post directed you towards the opposite direction. My post was just an extension to your comments. I know the weaknesses in my country (I do not enjoy that, but it is regrettably there), and being in US right now, I know the weakness in this country too. And, in some ways they are similar. You should always be careful around people you do not know well.

Forget about the cultural difference, it is always there as the cause of some of the problems, but it does not represent everything. Even if the cultures share similar characteristics, those people should think "how should I act if I had gone to an unknown town in my country, where the people do not know each other, making everyone a mystery".

Quote:
Entering a man's apartment in parts of Japan alone as a single woman is a very loud cultural signal: she's willing to have sex.
I didn't know that. But, if that is the case, it looks more like a cancer in that culture rather than being the culture itself. Who in his right mind, would automatically assume any single woman (in addition to her from an outside culture) would want to have sex with him, by just entering his apartment? Anyway, poor sisters, they cannot visit their brother's house, unless they are married, otherwise their brother might jump on them mistaking them as a prey to feed on...
Old 2007-05-31, 17:01   Link #195
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

just so you guys know their is NO safe place in the world.

and thats why I have a large hunting knife on my belt and keep my walet on a chain....but that could be because thats the way I was brought up....in the middle of the nowhere where evry one carys a knife 24-7. also I know how to use it.

so have a nice day all you psycopaths out thier
Old 2007-05-31, 17:07   Link #196
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
and thats why I have a large hunting knife on my belt and keep my walet on a chain....but that could be because thats the way I was brought up....
We have security problems too, in our cities (mainly purse-robbers, and, they are the biggest problem here right now), but, people here still avoid carrying any kind of weapons. It is not in our culture, I guess.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:14   Link #197
Abbott
Munior Jember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Is train molestation considered a crime? I always had the feeling it happened a lot.
I know a dozen or so women that have been touched up on trains in one way or another. But that's the price of being a westerner. Usually a stern look and shake of the head will get rid of most perverts.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:46   Link #198
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Never knew the crime rate in japan is low. Kinda took me by surprise. Is train molestation considered a crime? I always had the feeling it happened a lot.

I agree with Vexx's wife. She should have seen that one coming. Oh well knowing there are still naive people around is nice to know(next to the fact they get easily targeted).
aha ha...i think youve been watching too much anime to say that j/k

well i wouldnt say that it serves her right otherwise people wont be saying abroad then in fear of getting murdered but she really should have taken precaution with strangers...a guy and a girl alone in a room...weve seen this type of situation all to often and her being a women should have been more self concious...after all the person you are tutoring is still someone unknown...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-31, 22:36   Link #199
ibreatheanime

Crime happens everywhere. You just need to realise this and live cautiously. I am not saying you should be constantly paranoid, but you should be aware of your surroundings.

There are many simple things you can to do to avoid becoming a victim.
1. glance in the backseat of your car before getting in
2. lock your doors
3. don't go to strangers homes or invite them to your home
4. don't walk alone late at night.

I feel bad that this woman was killed, but she should have been a little more cautious...
Old 2007-06-01, 01:13   Link #200
Lawfer

Thumbs down

That's total bullshit, a woman die in japan that happen to not be of Japanese origins and all of a sudden Japan becomes the worst country in the world, with retarded titles such as:

Are foreign women safe in Japan?

After the "koreans are the devil! They did V-Tech!"

Now it's "Women that aren't of japanese origin should flee from japan ASAP before they get raped and killed1111!"
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international