AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-09-27, 13:44   Link #821
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
P1-P2 recruiting/ demonsummoning system was incredibly awkward and dumb.
Old 2015-09-28, 03:53   Link #822
Twi

I thought it was funny. I mean, I loathed having to use it at all for recruitment and I had an online guide to work with, but some of the interactions are hilarious. Like if you have Hades in the party and the goddess of harvest is the opponent, she demands her daughter back and he's like 'she came to me.'
Old 2015-09-28, 15:05   Link #823
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Recruit system wasn't dumb, but it was rather impractical...mixed feelings about it, especially compared to the other main P games' endless fusion and random bonus card personas. It had its ups and downs but wasn't necessary...but it also made me feel closer to the ones I had persuaded after a lot of hard work, or eternally hate the ones who refused to join me and insta-kill them on every random encounter!

As for P5 featuring it...well, my main gripe with it (particularly in Nocturne) were the negotiation skills which, obviously, take up skill slots - and THAT is bloody terrible. Can't say I'd be thrilled to see it return (although it wouldn't spell the end of the world either, unless that is soemhow the game's main plot line).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 03:24   Link #824
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Maybe they will use SMT:Nocturne's negotiation system for P5 ? I think the way negotiation worked in SMT: Nocturne is quite easy to use.
Old 2015-09-30, 09:47   Link #825
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
Maybe they will use SMT:Nocturne's negotiation system for P5 ? I think the way negotiation worked in SMT: Nocturne is quite easy to use.
God no.

I enjoy the mainline SMT franchise enough to know that the negotiation system along with many other aspects is not suitable for something more casual and like Persona
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 18:17   Link #826
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

P1's summoning system wasn't bad since you only need to get the card once. So playing without a guide back then, doing trial and error wasn't so much a chore. If you lucked out, you forget about it and move on. If you don't, just try again next time you meet him and hopefully that will be the last time.

P2 on the other hand is good in theory, but I found the 99 card limit to be too restrictive as you can't stock up on cards, since IIRC even mid-game personas require a lot of cards (like maybe 3-4 successful talks worth?). So if you're like me and you have to summon everything once and rank 8 all of them, it got tedious rather fast, especially since the same combinations wont work for all phases of the moon.

In any case, it's the dialogue between the party members during the interrogation I find to be charming of the PSX personas. All from memory mind you, as I haven't played P1/P2 in like over a decade XD.

As for P5, I love the persona designs. Back to the western style, since IMO part of what I like about the Megami series is that its pretty much Japanese humans but all of the aesthetics is mainly western. I mean, sure, one can say that the original megaten novel is about more about Izanagi/Izanami, but this is Persona, and I like my Amon Ras, Apollos, and Artemises, thank you very much.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-02, 03:46   Link #827
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

As for P5, I love the persona designs. Back to the western style, since IMO part of what I like about the Megami series is that its pretty much Japanese humans but all of the aesthetics is mainly western. I mean, sure, one can say that the original megaten novel is about more about Izanagi/Izanami, but this is Persona, and I like my Amon Ras, Apollos, and Artemises, thank you very much.
Don't forget all those guys from Ars Goetia like Orobas with his weird pose. Oh, special mention goes to Mara aka "Chariot riding P*nis"
Old 2015-10-02, 23:59   Link #828
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Personally, i kinda don't care about Persona and SMT demon system that much despite playing a bunch of SMT and related games, it's always been a means to the end to seeing the story. The whole demon collecting/fusion is probably my least favorite part of the game although it was very interesting to look at the demon art/design the first time as they range from silly to macabre. It was always a chore trying to stumble upon the right combination you wanted during fusion or resort to walkthrough (which is a shitty way to play games).

I wish they went the Digital Devil Saga route instead or atleast make sure the MC's persona is a constant throughout the game instead of fusion fodder because man, they got some damn good looking persona compare to the demons and it's always a shame that they don't reappear until endgame in an evolved form.
Old 2015-10-03, 03:56   Link #829
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The whole demon collecting/fusion is probably my least favorite part of the game although it was very interesting to look at the demon art/design the first time as they range from silly to macabre. It was always a chore trying to stumble upon the right combination you wanted during fusion or resort to walkthrough (which is a shitty way to play games).

I wish they went the Digital Devil Saga route instead or atleast make sure the MC's persona is a constant throughout the game instead of fusion fodder because man, they got some damn good looking persona compare to the demons and it's always a shame that they don't reappear until endgame in an evolved form.
I personally enjoy collecting demons and randomly getting a powerful ally from two much weaker ones - I'm not a completionist, so it doesn't get to the point where I gotta catch 'em all. I'm not too hot on the special fusions though - they make everything else look so much inferior, although there's not THAT much of a difference (yes, they get unique skills and defences, but that's about it).

DDS had a good system, the mantra grid was a great idea to bypass the limitations imposed by a set skill number a "persona" can learn, it was very flexible and fun to play. I doubt P5 would go that route though, since the characters implement summoning and not transformation...bummer.
Old 2015-10-03, 11:08   Link #830
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
DDS had a good system, the mantra grid was a great idea to bypass the limitations imposed by a set skill number a "persona" can learn, it was very flexible and fun to play. I doubt P5 would go that route though, since the characters implement summoning and not transformation...bummer.
Yeah... no. I disagree. The mantra grid was awful. It was a huge inconvenience to devour things early game, and many of the higher tier Almighty skills were a pain to get because the Mantras were gated behind truckloads of Macca costs.

The standard SMT fusion system is fine.
Old 2015-10-03, 11:33   Link #831
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The fusion system is blind (unless you're well-versed in it and know what skills/items you can get out of a persona without grinding 4-5 levels on it), the mantra grid was wide open. Its main advantage over fusion was that you didn't lose any skills, you could switch it around without much hassle. Retraining a single skill with the fusion system? Find out which demons have or learn that skill and have compatibility with the one you want on your team, then try, try, try and try again to get it in there...and PRAY things don't go wrong.

It's been a long time since I played DDS, but I don't recall having macca issues even for top-tier skills...then again, I'd spent a couple hours hunting down omoikane (IIRC it was 150k or 300k per).
Old 2015-10-03, 12:31   Link #832
Shadow5YA

Quote:
The fusion system is blind (unless you're well-versed in it and know what skills/items you can get out of a persona without grinding 4-5 levels on it), the mantra grid was wide open. Its main advantage over fusion was that you didn't lose any skills, you could switch it around without much hassle. Retraining a single skill with the fusion system? Find out which demons have or learn that skill and have compatibility with the one you want on your team, then try, try, try and try again to get it in there...and PRAY things don't go wrong.
Maybe on Nocturne or an older game, but in SMT4 I can choose which skills I want my demons to inherit.

Quote:
It's been a long time since I played DDS, but I don't recall having macca issues even for top-tier skills...then again, I'd spent a couple hours hunting down omoikane (IIRC it was 150k or 300k per).
You even admit that you grinded for the Macca.

And have you ever tried fighting the Demi-Fiend? Good luck grinding for all the skills needed for that.

And then Hard Mode? It's even worse.
Old 2015-10-03, 22:56   Link #833
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's not SMT if it isn't pleasurably painful.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 00:47   Link #834
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Maybe on Nocturne or an older game, but in SMT4 I can choose which skills I want my demons to inherit.

You even admit that you grinded for the Macca.

And have you ever tried fighting the Demi-Fiend? Good luck grinding for all the skills needed for that.

And then Hard Mode? It's even worse.
Demi-Fiend skills weren't top-tier, IIRC you could only get resist-types because null-types would auto-trigger gaia rage. As for the macca grind...two hours ain't no grind IMO (having grinded for months for an epic set in MMOs or days in the FFX arena loosen up the term) and you don't need the skills for hitoshura as much as you need the levels for your stats. Yes, it still remains one of THE hardest bosses I've had to tackle, with that damned diarahan pixie and the inevitability of gaia rage, but I suppose that's the point of a secret boss.
Old 2016-02-23, 09:41   Link #835
SidVicious
Anime addict

Persona 5 Director On Its Voluminous Content, Characters, And Its Social Link System
Read

Series chief director Katsura Hashino recently shared the latest on the development of Persona 5 in the March 2016 issue of Persona Magazine.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/23...l-link-system/
Old 2016-02-23, 10:18   Link #836
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

June release date please!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 10:54   Link #837
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Please! Do that.

Though I do appreciate the extra info. Getting some more insights on the announced group of characters and everything else.

Curious how the social link-like system will play out.

Just give us the game! (Do it right) but give it .
Old 2016-02-23, 16:17   Link #838
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That would be great.

I'm curious to see what they did with the social links system. They did claim they want to make them a more driving force. I'm also curious about the dungeons,
Old 2016-02-24, 06:44   Link #839
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Probably a June release for Japan considering SE dropped a huge hint on a possibility having both FF15 and P5 releasing in the same window.
Old 2016-02-26, 14:28   Link #840
WingsoftheDragonix

Quote:
There will be a similar system to “Social Link.” With the question of how to make communication for the characters of Persona 5 into a driving force, Hashino hopes to see it go a step higher in the human relation part of things than what we saw in the Social Link of Persona 3 and Persona 4.
I hope this mean that they will have a bigger impact in the story.

Anyway, good to hear something more about this game.
WingsoftheDragonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
persona 5, ps3, shin megami tensei